HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
This tower is actually going to look nice in person. Especially on ground level. I still thin Figueroa Eight is simply on another level. But this will be a welcomed addition.
FIG & 8TH should be a blueprint on a how to do your relatively standard tower. The Onni ones, while welcomed, could have looked much better with some different design choices while using the same materials.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 9:24 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
You're letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. And Olympic + Hill is good--it will provide hundreds of new homes, not in a greenfield subdivision but in a skyscraper in a walkable and transit-friendly location that really needs the activation.
Yes, it's a net positive.

What I'm saying is that the standard for postmodern residential skyscraper architecture is pretty low, and yet Olympic + Hill still manages to be substandard. This is something reminiscent of 90s Vancouver.

Cities are becoming less and less unique nowadays, with nice skyscrapers rising everywhere from Miami to Moscow to Melbourne. The way to create a more interesting city is to build stuff that's pretty, experimental, or unusual. Olympic + Hill checks none of those boxes. Thank goodness for the Mayan and Belasco, and this being near the Historic Core.

DTLA has no chance of becoming a world-class urban core if South Park continues to get crap like the monstrosity that was built at 12th and Grand — a boring tower sitting atop a huge horizontal skyscraper of a podium. We need classy stuff like the Mitsui Fudosan proposal at 8th and Hope and the proposed data center directly to the north of it, especially to offset the horizontal skyscraper at 8th and Grand. You should see what the original proposal for that site was back in the mid-00s:

http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/s...871e3ce6c.html

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 11:11 AM
L O S A N G E L E S

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Studio Gang is an internationally recognized firm and being based in Chicago does
not mean they only design for the specific geological conditions in Chicago...
You're right, but I wouldn't build that in Chicago either.
It's 26 stories tall on an exotic footprint and only 55
feet wide,.. I don't think it would even take the wind load!

Not only will the locals denounce it for it's overbearing nature
they will also reject it for the probability it will fail in the next
substantial earthquake. Build it in London.

For Oceanwide, I think Bass is eying that for the homeless.
Ask her.

Also, don't you think big projects slated for completion
ahead
of the Olympics have already passed their deadline?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
You're right, but I wouldn't build that in Chicago either.
It's 26 stories tall on an exotic footprint and only 55
feet wide,.. I don't think it would even take the wind load!

Not only will the locals denounce it for it's overbearing nature
they will also reject it for the probability it will fail in the next
substantial earthquake. Build it in London.

For Oceanwide, I think Bass is eying that for the homeless.
Ask her.

Also, don't you think big projects slated for completion
ahead
of the Olympics have already passed their deadline?
You seem to think that you know more about highrise construction in seismic zones than the people who are actually responsible for permitting and building highrises in seismic zones. Why is that?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
You seem to think that you know more about highrise construction in seismic zones than the people who are actually responsible for permitting and building highrises in seismic zones. Why is that?
You have to delete/not respond….that person is one of the three trolls we unfortunately have on this forum.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
DTLA has no chance of becoming a world-class urban core if South Park continues to get crap like the monstrosity that was built at 12th and Grand — a boring tower sitting atop a huge horizontal skyscraper of a podium.
you're partly correct, but likely mainly for ppl who are very picky about the finer points of urban design or architecture. For probably more ppl...resident or visitor....dtla needs to clean up things like the parking lots or small older properties around the onni apt tower.

Publicity about dt's issues with tagging, homelessness & crime also aren't helping lure in more investors, businesses, tourists & new residents.

urbanizela.com

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
you're partly correct, but likely mainly for ppl who are very picky about the finer points of urban design or architecture. For probably more ppl...resident or visitor....dtla needs to clean up things like the parking lots or small older properties around the onni apt tower.

Publicity about dt's issues with tagging, homelessness & crime also aren't helping lure in more investors, businesses, tourists & new residents.
Hmmmm...from high end restaurants like Maestro's and a plethora of other new businesses, your statement is totally inaccurate. I've mentioned before, companies like Apple, Adidas, etc. don't move/open stores in areas that are not lucrative. Homeless is everywhere in LA, including your neighborhood if you live in LA County.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 2:51 PM

'one of many beautification projs....'

Words that are needed for dtla & LA in general. The councilman shown in this video is at least talking a good game, which is better than LA city hall doing things like stopping the tramway between chinatown & Dodgers stadium.

I used to work in this area way before new devlpt started showing up over 10 to 20 yrs ago...& I recall driving by it with visitors to LA when Staples Ctr first opened....so it's finally closer to what it should have always been like from the beginning.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 3:28 PM

As a resident of the area, i love the new lights. They provide a sense of happiness and progress. Would love to see lights strung across Grand between 11th and Pico as well. We need a lot more small things like this all over downtown LA.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 4:08 PM

^ Long before issues with crime, graffiti & homelessness, half the battle has been making areas in LA like dtla look more presentable....

Quote:
BEAUTIFYING LOS ANGELES TOGETHER.

The City of Los Angeles, Board of Public Works, Office of Community Beautification (OCB) seeks to create a clean and beautiful Los Angeles by forming partnerships with volunteers, residents, community based organizations, and non-profit agencies, focusing on volunteerism and beautification efforts.

OCB engages in community beautification by providing graffiti removal services, coordination of volunteer cleanup efforts and involvement with other beautification efforts. OCB programs are designed to empower neighborhoods and community groups. By utilizing OCB services, participants improve their environment while building partnerships with the City of Los Angeles
^ That needs to include things like dealing with old properties...small industrial bldgs & parking lots....around the rising Onni apt tower at Olympic & Hill St or the old salvation army bldg on 9th St, right near the offramp from the 110. Thousands of ppl for decades who've entered dt have been introduced to the area by the sight of this.....

alamy

Malcolm Lee, facebook.com/groups/DtlaDev

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
DTLA has no chance of becoming a world-class urban core if South Park continues to get crap like the monstrosity that was built at 12th and Grand — a boring tower sitting atop a huge horizontal skyscraper of a podium.
I'm new to the skyscraper/construction community and I've heard a lot of negative criticism towards buildings having a podium. Why is this?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 3:09 AM

They are often just ugly design after-thoughts, frequently just looking like parking garages (and often are just parking garages). They also most often preclude the possibility of putting more housing on that lot. Their mass also just removes the more fine-grained urbanism of multiple buildings next to each that just looks better.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 5:38 AM

Quote:

Alex Welsh for The New York Times

For decades the effort to revitalize downtown Los Angeles has been tied to arts projects, from the construction of the midcentury modern Music Center in 1964 to the addition of Frank Gehry’s soaring stainless steel Walt Disney Concert Hall in 2003. But the pandemic was tough on downtowns and cultural institutions around the country, and Los Angeles has been no exception.

Its downtown office vacancy rates climbed above 25 percent. Storefronts are empty. Homelessness and crime remain concerns. Many arts organizations have yet to recover their prepandemic audiences. And there have been vivid displays of the area’s thwarted ambitions: Graffiti artists covered three abandoned skyscrapers just before the Grammy Awards were held across the street at the Crypto.com Arena, and some lights on the acclaimed new Sixth Street Viaduct were doused after thieves stole the copper wire.

So it was a major vote of confidence in the area’s continuing promise when the Broad, the popular contemporary art museum that opened across the street from Disney Hall in 2015, announced last month that it was about to begin a $100 million expansion. And it was very much a continuation of the vision of its founder, Eli Broad, the businessman and philanthropist who played a key role in the effort to create a center of gravity in a famously spread-out city by transforming Grand Avenue into a cultural hub. Broad, who died in 2021, helped to establish the Museum of Contemporary Art and get Disney Hall built before opening the Broad to house his own art collection.

Diller Scofidio + Renfro, via The Broad

“As Eli said — and he said this when really almost no one agreed with him — downtown L.A. is the center and this region needs a cultural center,” said Joanne Heyler, the founding director and chief curator of the Broad. “He was right. At least our experience and our audience proves that point.”

The Broad — which offers free admission — says its attendance has recovered to prepandemic levels, as does the Los Angeles Philharmonic, which says it is once again averaging 89 percent attendance. But other presenters have struggled. Last summer, Center Theater Group suspended productions at one of its three stages, the 736-seat Mark Taper Forum at the Music Center complex, citing financial woes.

They are also working to lure audiences back downtown at a moment when office vacancy is up and hotel occupancy is down. “It feels a little hollowed out,” said Christopher Koelsch, the president and chief executive of the Los Angeles Opera, adding that “it is much harder to sell our midweek performances than it used to be.” The opera is projecting that attendance will reach 75 percent of capacity this season, an improvement over the last few years but still down from the 83 percent attendance it had during the last full season before the pandemic.

Traffic congestion remains another hurdle to getting people to travel downtown, and some galleries and arts organization have been expanding into other areas to meet people where they are. Dealers say downtown offers an unusual degree of physical space and creative freedom. “You simply cannot see these shows anywhere else in L.A. or in New York,” said the dealer Susanne Vielmetter, who in 2019 expanded her downtown gallery and closed her Culver City location. Hauser’s downtown space, a sprawling complex that includes a bookstore and the popular restaurant Manuela, says it drew 4,000 people to its recent opening for Jason Rhoades, Catherine Goodman and RETROaction.

Young people who live and work in the Arts District contribute to a liveliness among galleries. “People go out downtown,” said Mara McCarthy, the founder of the Box gallery, which presents contemporary art and performances. “They will go see a show over there and get a beer down here and go get ramen.”

Gov. Gavin Newsom announced last month that his administration would push to expedite construction of a $2-billion, 7.6-acre residential and commercial development called Fourth & Central, which bills itself as “the New Gateway to DTLA.” And Mayor Karen Bass of Los Angeles has continued to work to address the homeless crisis. And the City Council approved nearly $4 million to remove the graffiti on the abandoned skyscrapers and secure the buildings.

Mark Falcone, the founder and chief executive of Continuum Partners, which is developing Fourth & Central, said that “at the moment, there is the perception that there is more risk in L.A. and San Francisco than there was five years ago” but that he remains “very bullish” on downtown’s prospects. “We believe cultural enterprises are the things that give a community more long-term resilience and stability than anything else,” he said.

The Broad recently hit the highest daily attendance in its history: 6,200 visitors on March 30. (By way of comparison, the nearby Museum of Contemporary Art said its attendance was 1,985 that day.) “There was a feeling in the beginning that downtown was in mothballs,” Heyler, its director, said. “We’ve emerged from that moment fully.”

In another promising development, the Colburn School for music and dance just broke ground on a Gehry-designed expansion to its downtown campus that will include a 1,000-seat concert hall. “There is a need for a medium-size venue in the heart of the cultural district,” said Sel Kardan, the school’s chief executive and president, adding that he hoped the stage would be used during the upcoming Olympics.

And the Los Angeles tourism board has focused its latest — and largest — ad campaign on art and culture. “Most people don’t know that Los Angeles is now home to the most museums and performing arts venues in the country,” said Adam Burke, the board’s president and chief executive

Hunter Kerhart for The New York Times

Video Link

Last edited by citywatch; Apr 10, 2024 at 3:27 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 1:45 PM
Ascension

I hate to admit it but I like the graffiti on Oceanwide Plaza.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
It is kind of neat. It's like LA got it's edge/creativity back, like New York in the 80s/90s. In many ways, this does add to the appeal of creatives to come or stay here.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 5:14 PM

Chiming in to say I agree. Most anyone I talk to in LA's creative community also agrees. The only hate I've heard is from friends/clients in OC 🙃.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusBy View Post
Chiming in to say I agree. Most anyone I talk to in LA's creative community also agrees. The only hate I've heard is from friends/clients in OC .
This is true…most people I come across seem to actually like it…some more than others.
Side note, there’s another club that’ll be opening on 8th St. this summer. And the restaurant Baar Baar seems to be a pretty popular place people love. I know the one in NYC is popular, I was curious how this one here in LA would turn out.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 8:30 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Everyone I know thinks it's really cool. Obviously would prefer a finished building, but as an art project, the graffiti has its place

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 8:31 PM

Alloy update

Cool to hear about new restaurants/clubs finding success downtown.

Took a walk around Alloy this afternoon... crane is down, storefront is going in, looks like they're starting on site work for the public spaces. Looking high quality to my eye.

Seems to me that the Arts District is developing the best urbanism in all of LA with new buildings mostly hitting the mark on quality, street level activation, public spaces, and parking.

Side note I would be way more active here if posting photos wasn't such a drag lol.

[IMG]

Last edited by HusBy; Apr 10, 2024 at 8:43 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 2:19 AM

Hate to rain on the parade, but I can't see the silver lining in the tagging on Oceanwide. It's grotesque, esp. on modern looking towers like these.

I think a lot more places than the OC would not like this, like everywhere, including NYC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations