HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 5:20 AM
New Yorker for life

^ Vornado was planning a 7 star hotel on it’s site, just east of this one. With the wild success of 220 CPS, I could see a mixed-use hotel/residential there.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/BL-DVB-22403

Vornado Chief Plans ‘Seven-Star Hotel’ By Central Park

By Eliot Brown
September 9, 2014

Quote:
Vornado chief executive Steven Roth said at an industry panel discussion Tuesday the site of the now-closed Rizzoli Bookstore at 31 West 57 Street, just south of Central Park, is going to be "a seven-star hotel.” Speaking at an event in Chicago held by law firm DLA Piper, he offered little other detail, and was responding to a question that suggested he was planning condominiums for the property.

Only a handful of hotels around the world are billed as having seven stars, an unofficial way to connote extreme luxury.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 6:22 AM
Show me the blueprints

Why not an 8 star hotel? Or 10?

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 10:59 AM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

I wanna see more renderings of this skyscraper.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 2:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Why not an 8 star hotel? Or 10?
They don’t wanna push it.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 3:04 PM

*SIGH*, yet again the hotel portion occupies the lowest floors. In many other countries it would be the opposite, pushing the hotel as high as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 3:10 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
*SIGH*, yet again the hotel portion occupies the lowest floors. In many other countries it would be the opposite, pushing the hotel as high as possible.
Well, the hotel is just a component of the tower. The ticket here will be the condos that they can sell at the top. It’s really the whole point of the project.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 4:50 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
The hotel might go above office space (like at the proposed Hyatt). But you wouldn't put a hotel above residential, or else you'd be egressing hotel occupants down through condos.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Name some towers with hotel above residential in other countries.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 5:34 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
Name some towers with hotel above residential in other countries.
Please don't. That's now what this thread is for. This is primarily a condo tower, the prime factor being the views of Central Park.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 3:08 AM

I like the massing. Reminds me of the Index in Dubai.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Please don't. That's now what this thread is for. This is primarily a condo tower, the prime factor being the views of Central Park.
Big difference between now and not

Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 6:20 PM
Show me the blueprints

^

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Please don't.
Okay, I won't, but let me clarify that I wasn't thinking specifically of the condo + hotel combination, but mixed-use supertalls in general that contain a hotel component in addition to offices, apartments, condos, retail, etc. There are plenty of them outside the US, but again I won't name them here.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 6:23 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Okay, I won't, but let me clarify that I wasn't thinking specifically of the condo + hotel combination, but mixed-use supertalls in general that contain a hotel component in addition to offices, apartments, condos, retail, etc. There are plenty of them outside the US, but again I won't name them here.
I don't care about any of that. Has nothing to do with New York, and what's going on here. Stay focused.

https://www.crainsnewyork.com/commer...-neighborhoods

Transit accessibility bonus expands to more neighborhoods

NATALIE SACHMECHI
October 8, 2021

Quote:
A program that offers building bonuses of up to 20% to developers who fund and build elevators in nearby subway stations was expanded Thursday by the City Council to include more transit stations and building projects.

The Zoning for Accessibility program was designed by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority and the City Planning Commission to address the lack of accessibility in the subway system without having to shell out funds. Only about 30% of the 493 subway and Staten Island Railway stations are fully accessible under guidelines established in 1990 by the federal Americans With Disabilities Act.

“This is a game-changer for millions of New Yorkers, including seniors, disabled people, parents of young children, and anyone who has a harder time getting around,” council Speaker Corey Johnson said.

.....All projects applying for an additional building allowance through the program will need to go through the public-review process.
Quote:
.....Real estate developer Sedesco has filed plans to build a 1,100-foot-high Billionaires Row skyscraper with a 53,000-square-foot-area bonus in exchange for building elevators at the 57th Street station where the F train runs. The 63-story tower will include 38 floors of apartments at the top and a hotel with retail space below, according to plans filed with the city.

“Sedesco is eager to utilize [the accessibility program] to ensure that the 57th Street station is accessible to all New Yorkers—especially people with disabilities who have been shut out of the subway system because of a lack of elevators,” said Derek Gilchrist, a partner at the firm.

“We have begun the process of briefing stakeholders on the proposed upgrades at the station as well as our development,” Gilchrist added, “and look forward to going through the formal public-review process.”

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 5:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Notice to CB5….

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 2:52 PM
New Yorker for life

I wonder if they will at least present renderings to the board….

https://www.cb5.org/cb5m/calendar/20...-public-spaces

Quote:
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2021, at 6:00pm

Agenda

41 W. 57th st, a zoning authorization pursuant to ZR 66-51 for additional floor area for Mass Transit Station Improvements (Subway Improvement Bonus) by a private applicant, BOB 57 LLC, to permit the use of 53,0429 square feet of additional floor area and facilitate the development of a 63-story, 1,100-foot development with approximately 318,172 square feet of total floor area at 41-47 West 57th Street/50 West 58th Street

Old Posted Nov 7, 2021, 4:22 AM
New Yorker for life

Well, we did get more looks at the tower. Took some screen grabs...

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 7, 2021, 11:59 AM
BANNED

This looks great. A slanted top would have been nice though.

Also, I suspect that the flare on the west side will ensure and preserve park views when the Park Lane is redeveloped, as a new Park Lane tower might partially block the park views on the eastern portion of this building.

Last edited by JMKeynes; Nov 7, 2021 at 2:30 PM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2021, 2:56 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

It's a nice filler. Adds some change amongst its tallest siblings, a sort of balance. Kind of complements 111 W 57th as well. Somewhat similar profile.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2021, 6:12 PM
New Yorker for life

^ You know we’re spoiled when 1,100 ft is skyline filler, and it is. This building would dominate or dramatically alter many skylines. But here, it’s a part of a supertall ensamble. They could build up to 1,400 ft, but that would be too similar to Steinway and 432 Park. When 432 and even One57 were built, many people thought they were out of place, out of scale, and would cast Central Park into never ending darkness. None of that is true. Instead, we’re watching the natural evolution of the skyline, dramatic as it may be.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals