HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Went through this whole thread... and I'm amazed at how many universities in Canada are set up like country estates with big gaps between buildings, and campus locations way off in outer urban or even suburban areas. The only universities I've personally been to are McGill, Queen's, U of T, and U of O which are all located within the city centres, very close to the CBD, and have compact campuses. To me that's what a university is.
Many (most?) major universities in the world are not located in a big city let alone near a CBD. At best, they are in small towns that, historically, sprung up around the universities.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 7:04 PM

University of Manitoba

by Bryan Scott on Flickr

University of Manitoba from the Air 2 by aa440, on Flickr

University of Manitoba - Health Sciences Centre Campus (downtown)

University of Manitoba - Health Sciences Centre Campus by Garry9600, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Went through this whole thread... and I'm amazed at how many universities in Canada are set up like country estates with big gaps between buildings, and campus locations way off in outer urban or even suburban areas. The only universities I've personally been to are McGill, Queen's, U of T, and U of O which are all located within the city centres, very close to the CBD, and have compact campuses. To me that's what a university is.
In Canada and the states 80% or more of Universities aren't in the CBD or city centre.

I went to McMaster, it borders Cootes Paradise and is a relatively small campus with buildings crammed in tight as enrolment is reaching 30 000 and they're running out of space. Still they make a point to keep big gaps in certain areas like the massive lawns in front of JHE and BSB.

I guess you would classify the university as outer urban similar to Western, about 5 minute drive from the CBD.

The maritimes really have country estates and I love the setup of their small universities.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 8:06 PM
Closed account

I think the issue is that universities typically require quite large swaths of land, which is why so many of them located on the fringes of cities when they were established. There certainly are exceptions to the rule, but that seems to be the general trend.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 8:51 PM
Rational urbanist

Yeah, the prototypical American university, in my mind, is located in the middle of nowhere, in a town that exists largely because of the university. Universities close to downtown are rare.

Personally I think that's the way to do it. UBC is kind of in between: it's in the city, but still separated. I wish it was in Merritt or something. Having universities in cities really kills school spirit, because most of us commute to school, and just go home right after class. I'm glad I get to save money by living at home, but I wish I was forced to live on campus by virtue of its location. Because despite the "sensible" decision of living at home, I feel like I'm missing out on a whole lot. There's a reason schools like Queen's and Western have much more involved students culturally then places like UBC. When 60% of your students spend all their time in class when on campus, that's how it's gonna be.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Yeah, the prototypical American university, in my mind, is located in the middle of nowhere, in a town that exists largely because of the university. Universities close to downtown are rare.

Personally I think that's the way to do it. UBC is kind of in between: it's in the city, but still separated. I wish it was in Merritt or something. Having universities in cities really kills school spirit, because most of us commute to school, and just go home right after class. I'm glad I get to save money by living at home, but I wish I was forced to live on campus by virtue of its location. Because despite the "sensible" decision of living at home, I feel like I'm missing out on a whole lot. There's a reason schools like Queen's and Western have much more involved students culturally then places like UBC. When 60% of your students spend all their time in class when on campus, that's how it's gonna be.
Completely agree with you. Campuses like U of T and UBC lack school spirit because they're mixed in with the culture of cities and lack their own identity to separate themselves. While places like queens and western have less students commuting and really become apart of the campus and university.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Completely agree with you. Campuses like U of T and UBC lack school spirit because they're mixed in with the culture of cities and lack their own identity to separate themselves. While places like queens and western have less students commuting and really become apart of the campus and university.
Quote:

Queen's is very much an exception to this. It's right in the core of the city, a 10 minute walk from the CBD, yet is probably the most distinct university from its host city in the country, with a very strong school spirit filled with centuries-old traditions. 95% of the student body comes from out of town. First year students typically live on campus, upper years almost always rent in the city, mostly renting houses in the urban neighbourhoods surrounding the school.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Queen's is very much an exception to this. It's right in the core of the city, a 10 minute walk from the CBD, yet is probably the most distinct university from its host city in the country, with a very strong school spirit filled with centuries-old traditions. 95% of the student body comes from out of town. First year students typically live on campus, upper years almost always rent in the city, mostly renting houses in the urban neighbourhoods surrounding the school.
Probably because Kingston is an isolated city of only 130 000 so the University can really impose its culture.

Now compare that with a downtown campus in Toronto MTL and Vancouver. Much more difficult for a university to gain traction in those cultural centres.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 9:41 PM

I would classify places like Western & McMaster as being in 'outer urban' areas, within the context of my original post. Not in the suburbs, but not right next to the CBD either.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 2:25 AM

Quote:
I would classify places like Western & McMaster as being in 'outer urban' areas, within the context of my original post. Not in the suburbs, but not right next to the CBD either.
I agree with that classification.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 2:35 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Well my argument isn't that a school located downtown will have worse spirit, but that a school that has much more commuters than it does residents will. Don't take this the wrong way, but Kingston is much smaller than Vancouver and so it's influence on the school will be smaller. It would be very difficult for a city of Kingston's size to support a university of Queens' calibre and so it relies heavily on students from outside. The effect just isn't the same, because there are so many more potential students from Vancouver that they overpower the ones from away.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
Here's video footage of the main UW campus from a quadcopter, kwoldtimer. The only major new building missing is Engineering 5.

Video Link
Ye they didn't film East Campus that's why we don't see E5.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Well my argument isn't that a school located downtown will have worse spirit, but that a school that has much more commuters than it does residents will. Don't take this the wrong way, but Kingston is much smaller than Vancouver and so it's influence on the school will be smaller. It would be very difficult for a city of Kingston's size to support a university of Queens' calibre and so it relies heavily on students from outside. The effect just isn't the same, because there are so many more potential students from Vancouver that they overpower the ones from away.
Gotcha, didn't read your original reply clearly. So the theory is that for a university to have a distinctive school spirit it has to be either 1) in a small city, or 2) outside the core? Makes sense, I can definitely see that being true.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 5:00 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Gotcha, didn't read your original reply clearly. So the theory is that for a university to have a distinctive school spirit it has to be either 1) in a small city, or 2) outside the core? Makes sense, I can definitely see that being true.
Basically. But even being outside the core isn't enough. UBC isn't downtown, but it's still relatively easy to get to. If it was in Hope even, I would bet that the school atmosphere would be a lot different.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 6:47 PM

I've always thought Dalhousie has had a good balance in that regard. It's basically adjacent to downtown Halifax and many, if not most, students live within easy walking or cycling distance (but it is still easily accessible for locals who choose to "stay at home" to save money). It is quite integrated into its surroundings (students engage in activities/dining/nightlife/etc. off-campus, and non-students often attend events at Dal and use its bars and athletic facilities), so students aren't living in a bubble as I hear they are at Queen's, but there is still a very cohesive (if not particularly exclusive) school spirit. Saint Mary's is similar. MSVU is a bit more suburban and is probably split equally between those who never leave campus, those who live on campus and tend to engage with the city a bit more, and those who live off-campus and only go in for classes. It's not really in the core but by no means near the edge of the city either.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
I've always thought Dalhousie has had a good balance in that regard. It's basically adjacent to downtown Halifax and many, if not most, students live within easy walking or cycling distance (but it is still easily accessible for locals who choose to "stay at home" to save money). It is quite integrated into its surroundings (students engage in activities/dining/nightlife/etc. off-campus, and non-students often attend events at Dal and use its bars and athletic facilities), so students aren't living in a bubble as I hear they are at Queen's, but there is still a very cohesive (if not particularly exclusive) school spirit. Saint Mary's is similar. MSVU is a bit more suburban and is probably split equally between those who never leave campus, those who live on campus and tend to engage with the city a bit more, and those who live off-campus and only go in for classes. It's not really in the core but by no means near the edge of the city either.
I know a lot of people from Ontario who head to Dal and they seem to be really involved in school events and school spirit seems to be high. Wonder if they would ever consider a football program.

What confuses me is how McMaster is one of the most successful athletic programs and basically has every sports team in the book except hockey.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 6:50 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Why would you want school spirit?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 6:54 PM

Dal has brought football back as a club-level sport, but historically has been reluctant to commit much money to an actual varsity-level team. The general attitude seems to be "if you care that much about football, go to SMU".

That said, if Halifax were to build a major stadium, it seems more likely that Dalhousie would be interested in fielding a team. It's just very low on their list of priorities.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 1:45 AM

Laurier has a small, dense, walkable campus with a great school spirit and is located very close to Uptown Waterloo (which is Waterloo's downtown).

On the top is the main campus and stadium, and going South is Waterloo's city centre.

New business building under construction:

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 1:58 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
This is something I hadn't thought about. Even if you live off campus, if you live close enough you can definitely be an active member of the school community still. But there are a lot of suburban students for who that's just not an option. To use me as an example, I'd be much more likely to join clubs or go to campus bars if I didn't face a 1.5 hour ride back home (and a 1.5 hour commute to my 9am class the next morning)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada