HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 5:12 PM
Meh

The Texas Memorial Museum is there, and it opened in 1939 according to their website.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 6:12 PM

The post-WWII hutments are there in the southeast (upper right) corner, labeled "Little Campus Courts" and "Cliff Dwellers".

https://jimnicar.com/2018/04/15/life-in-cliff-courts/

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 6:51 PM
Meh

Hyde Park streetcar photos and a map of the line. More photos in the link below the photos.

More here of the streetcars in downtown.
https://www.statesman.com/entertainm...tin-streetcars

https://austin.curbed.com/2017/9/18/...ars-light-rail

-

https://austin.curbed.com/2017/9/18/...ars-light-rail

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 7:42 PM
World Traveler

Wow.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 8:37 PM

photos

Here are a couple from the intra-web:

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 10:41 AM

It was in January 1985 that I got caught in this mess picking up my wife who got let out of work early from her job at First City Bank on 9th and Congress. I moved to Austin just a few years displaced from a ton of experience driving in wintry weather, but I could not handle these icy roads. I kept getting stuck, and APD kept pushing me out of trouble with their patrol cars. By the time we got home, there was almost 6 inches of snow on the ground.
https://youtu.be/4xy5psBbfNI

Bonus video...

https://youtu.be/uXFy-cl46Wc?list=PL...oSi16gYo0f3taR

Check this out...
https://youtu.be/Zx2SNcMiYiA

one more...interesting...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40bIOS8NrdU

Last edited by the Genral; Oct 5, 2020 at 11:16 AM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
It was in January 1985 that I got caught in this mess picking up my wife who got let out of work early from her job at First City Bank on 9th and Congress. I moved to Austin just a few years displaced from a ton of experience driving in wintry weather, but I could not handle these icy roads. I kept getting stuck, and APD kept pushing me out of trouble with their patrol cars. By the time we got home, there was almost 6 inches of snow on the ground.
https://youtu.be/4xy5psBbfNI

Bonus video...

https://youtu.be/uXFy-cl46Wc?list=PL...oSi16gYo0f3taR

Check this out...
https://youtu.be/Zx2SNcMiYiA

one more...interesting...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40bIOS8NrdU
Is that the same snowstorm that dumped 13 inches on San Antonio?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 3:51 PM

Yes it is the same storm.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Is that the same snowstorm that dumped 13 inches on San Antonio?
There were three storms in Jan. 1985.

The first was the night of January 1 - morning of Jan 2nd. I remember that one because I was working as a teller at Lamar Savings - the Northgate branch at Lamar & Rundberg. I hated that branch. Jan 2 was the 25th anniversary of Lamar Savings and we had all these "festivities" planned at all the branches. On the day of - most of the tellers all called in and said they couldn't get to work. I was scheduled off that day and they could not make you work on your scheduled day off.

So morning of Jan 2, I get a call from the branch manager wanting to know if I could come in because ALL the tellers at my branch had called in. I hated this manager with a passion and wasn't about to do her any favors, so I refused.

Next day when I went into work, I put in my 2 weeks notice. I ended up not leaving the company, but I did get transferred to the corporate office where I didn't have to deal with customers OR that branch manager.

Second storm was Jan. 12-13. (I was still at the Northgate Branch) I don't remember how much snow Austin got out of that one, but that's when San Antonio got the 13.5 inches of snow.

Looking back at San Antonio's biggest snowstorm, 35 years ago today

The third storm was either on January 25 or Feb 1, 1985. In that video of people pushing cars, the reporter mentions that it's the third storm in 30 days for Austinintes. I just remember it was a Friday. It started icing about 2:00 that afternoon, and then it snowed on top of that. I had moved down to the corporate offices by them (800 Brazos.) I distinctly remember people in my department (Checking Account Department) all started asking why we couldn't go home. Our Dept. head said the only people who could authorize us to leave early was Human Resources - and they had already left.

It took me from 5:00 pm until 7:15 just to get from 8th & Brazos over to Enfield and Mopac. I drove around the barricades and got on Mopac and it was smooth sailing from there because there was only about two other cars on Mopac.

I remember busting my ass to try and get home by 8:00 pm because it was a Friday and I wasn't about to miss Dallas and Falcon Crest. (I made it with 15 minutes to spare.

By 10:30 pm most everyone had gotten home and there wasn't a lot of traffic. An out of town friend was staying with me at the time and we left about 11:00 pm and went to the bar. (Dirty Sally's, I think) and the bar was PACKED.

I wish we still got snow storms like that.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 1:28 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post

I wish we still got snow storms like that.
That was rare even then. 35 years of global warming later I wouldn't expect it to ever happen again.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 1:39 PM
World Traveler

More recently, I recall the 2004 snow which yielded several inches of snow on I-37 south of San Antonio. I think it was on Christmas Day as we were heading down south to see family. I saw a photo of the South Padre Island with a decent amount of snow around it. Crazy. Yet, the Austin area and Hill Country got none if I remember correctly.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
More recently, I recall the 2004 snow which yielded several inches of snow on I-37 south of San Antonio. I think it was on Christmas Day as we were heading down south to see family. I saw a photo of the South Padre Island with a decent amount of snow around it. Crazy. Yet, the Austin area and Hill Country got none if I remember correctly.
Yes! I remember this. It was because there was moisture moving north into Texas from the gulf and not the typical west to east flow we see. I remember us driving to Galveston that day to catch a family cruise. No snow in Austin, but plenty of it as we got closer to the coast.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreditch View Post
Yes! I remember this. It was because there was moisture moving north into Texas from the gulf and not the typical west to east flow we see. I remember us driving to Galveston that day to catch a family cruise. No snow in Austin, but plenty of it as we got closer to the coast.
Which is why we could see wintry weather hit Austin again if we get the right conditions. If you all recall, we did get snow last winter albeit a little more than a dusting. I got some great pictures of a decent amount of the white stuff greeting me on a bright sunny morning. Of course it was gone in just a few hours. If jdawgboy was still here, he could be a good source of info regarding weather in Austin given his study and understanding of meteorology. We probably have the best chance of getting frozen rain or sleet than snow. It sticks to our cars and exposed metal and bridges, but rarely to the roads.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 5:42 AM
Meh

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Love that pic. Also reminds me, when anyone says that the warehouse district is 'historic,' get a f****** grip. What 'district?' There's nothing there!

Look at the lack of trees on Congress, look at where 6X is going. Incredible transformation.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusx1 View Post
Love that pic. Also reminds me, when anyone says that the warehouse district is 'historic,' get a f****** grip. What 'district?' There's nothing there!

Look at the lack of trees on Congress, look at where 6X is going. Incredible transformation.
I don't know what year that photo was taken, but that is pretty much what Austin looked like when I arrived in 2000. Incredible progress in 20 years! I can't believe people actually pine for those "good old days".

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 1:32 PM

Quote:
In the late 90s I visited Austin from Louisville and this is how I remember downtown, back then Louisville actually had a more robust downtown. I'm sure this is much earlier but still wasn't great in '98

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 1:42 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusx1 View Post

I'll agree with that being a great photo. But it also shows what the streets in downtown Austin was designed to support.

"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of a cancer cell." Edward Abbey.

All those nimbys protesting against all the growth in downtown Austin most frequent debating point has come home to roost, the infrastructure in downtown Austin was not, is not, nor will not be larger enough to support it without massive increases investing in newer, larger infrastructure. The investors who built the new skyscrapers should have been the ones making that investment, not the taxpayers of all of Austin who may never ever go downtown.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I can't believe people actually pine for those "good old days".
There are at least a half dozen buildings in that pic that weren't there when I got here, and Chase was gold or bronze. That's all it took for me to fall for Austin building wise. Of course what we have today and the direction we are going is FAR more to my liking as I was always used to what NYC was during my many visits there. Its there I became a skyscraper enthusiast and why I joined this forum. I've long since gotten over my pining for those good old days, but that had nothing to do with any of the buildings, but more like just recalling a long lost, Aquafest, Armadillo World Headquarters, the Austin Ice Bats and Wranglers, the air shows at Bergstrom, concerts at the City Coliseum, those green trolley buses, movies being made here such as; Outlaw Blues, Chainsaw Massacre, Best Little Whorehouse, Dazed and Confused, Office Space, Slacker, Spy Kids, a One American Center cameo in the Travolta movie 'Michael' and many more,(they don't seem to make anymore movies here like they used to, then there were the hippies, pot smoking everywhere, (it seemed), Handy Dan's, Academy Outdoor stores that were basically wood floor shacks and really small, a one and only Whole Foods, Ann Richards, Cactus Pryor, a municipal airport, a changing of the Goddess of Liberty, then there was a far more laid back vibe, people like Willie and Stevie popping up fairly often, among others, just to name a few. Its really hard to explain to anyone who wasn't here in the 80s just how different Austin was back then, buildings dt aside. Really, I don't miss it, but pictures like the one above trigger some awfully good memories of the way things were when I got here. Austin was really, really cool. Today, Austin is still cool, but in a different way, if that makes any sense to anyone here.

Last edited by the Genral; Oct 16, 2020 at 4:57 PM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Liberty Lunch!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin