HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 2:30 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
The alternative is the elitist conservatives so I'll stick with the Liberals
Are conservatives elitists, or knuckle draggers?

Make up your mind!!!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
No, you're overlooking the obvious. The system is overtaxed. At risk of being reductive, we are not in great physical shape as a country (this includes psychiatric illnesses), this creates more demand per capita, which puts a greater strain on the system. We are a country of high-stress inducing dysfunctional suburban living, illicit drug use, homelessness etc.; Europeans are generally in better shape. We also have higher immigration and population growth. Incidentally, trying to compare the "pay or die" US system (which doesn't exist by international definitions) to ours, is really apples and oranges.
Then we might as well never compare anything at all. And you're ignoring that the Australians and Kiwis (and Americans), who live similar lifestyles and are even fatter and more suburban than us, have better access to primary care.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 4:14 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

be careful what you pay for

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Then we might as well never compare anything at all. And you're ignoring that the Australians and Kiwis (and Americans), who live similar lifestyles and are even fatter and more suburban than us, have better access to primary care.
Of course, you can easily manipulate issues like this back to your main point, which I assume is political. Looking at your graph there, you will notice that the average for all countries listed also declined. There is no doubt, that when you (the govt.) increase immigration, you must also put in place necessary resources and supports to accommodate this, but everything is not really under government control. Have Australia and NZ had the same increase in population? Things like this do tend to flip back and forth. You can look at a page like this, and see there isn't that much difference overall, maybe we are experiencing a blip, which will be fixed. Remember, PP has all the answers, I can't wait.

https://www.nationmaster.com/country.../Canada/Health

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Of course, you can easily manipulate issues like this back to your main point, which I assume is political. Looking at your graph there, you will notice that the average for all countries listed also declined. There is no doubt, that when you (the govt.) increase immigration, you must also put in place necessary resources and supports to accommodate this, but everything is not really under government control. Have Australia and NZ had the same increase in population? Things like this do tend to flip back and forth. You can look at a page like this, and see there isn't that much difference overall, maybe we are experiencing a blip, which will be fixed. Remember, PP has all the answers, I can't wait.

https://www.nationmaster.com/country.../Canada/Health
The drop in Canada seems to be significantly greater than the average. I'm not sure if Nation Master is a reliable data source (it seems like the type of site where you might accidentally download a virus if you click the wrong link) or really what you're trying to show by posting that link, but there isn't much on that page pertaining to primary care.It does seem to show that Australia has twice as many hospital beds as Canada. That doesn't seem like a small difference.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 4:43 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

life in easy installments

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
The drop in Canada seems to be significantly greater than the average. I'm not sure if Nation Master is a reliable data source (it seems like the type of site where you might accidentally download a virus if you click the wrong link) or really what you're trying to show by posting that link, but there isn't much on that page pertaining to primary care. It does seem to show that Australia has twice as many hospital beds as Canada. That doesn't seem like a small difference.
I agree (if that is correct), I wonder if it represents some difference in the philosophy of healthcare, such as releasing patients for outpatient care at an earlier stage of recovery. I do know that the Australian system is more privatized than ours, so more like a hybrid in theory, but we all know that to go in that direction produces more of a two tier classist system, where people are made less equitable.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 6:38 AM

Quote:
I agree (if that is correct), I wonder if it represents some difference in the philosophy of healthcare, such as releasing patients for outpatient care at an earlier stage of recovery. I do know that the Australian system is more privatized than ours, so more like a hybrid in theory, but we all know that to go in that direction produces more of a two tier classist system, where people are made less equitable.
The Australian HCS, while not perfect, is still a thing of beauty. You have the OPTION of purchasing private HC insurance, but are not required to do so, because EVERYONE has access to universal HC. Literally no one is left behind. I really wish Canadians would climb down from the ledge and realise that private HC doesn't always equate to American-style HC.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 6:41 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
The Australian HCS, while not perfect, is still a thing of beauty. You have the OPTION of purchasing private HC insurance, but are not required to do so, because EVERYONE has access to universal HC. Literally no one is left behind. I really wish Canadians would climb down from the ledge and realise that private HC doesn't always equate to American-style HC.
Nah, those who need to use HC as a political weapon (fed+prov NDP and Liberals) WILL always claim that anyone considering any other option is ONLY proposing the American private HC model ... as that is the only one that exists!!

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 6:54 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Perhaps at the heart of this apparent system failure is the concept of healthcare as a political election tool, perhaps which results in an inefficient use of our capital expenditures for purely political gain. How many hospitals have been abandoned in Canada, with the fruition of a shiny new facility, when our tax money could have been used more efficiently?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 8:00 AM

a
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
For the Nth time, Nite, when we say that one of the effects of the Scheme is to make relative wages lower, it’s a shortcut to say “the number of hours most Canadians must work in order to have food on the table and a roof over their head is getting higher”, which as we pointed out to you 100+ times so far is not incompatible with “bbbbut… nominal wages are going up!”
Wage growth in Canada is at nearly 2x the inflation rate right now and has been above inflation for a while.
For the last 12 month wage growth was at 5.0% while inflation for the same time period was 2.8%

you would be hard pressed to find another time in Canada history where wage growth has been a around 5% for such a long time and full 2% above inflation

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/dail...40308a-eng.htm
https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/dail...40319a-eng.htm

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
High percentage wage growth at the bottom end isn’t making things more affordable for those in low-paying jobs unless they have secure housing locked down. Some probably do. Younger people and newcomers not so much.

Anecdotally wages have gone up a ton in certain sectors for those at a certain point in their career. Most of my friends have seen their salaries increase ahead of inflation. But again house prices in Toronto have outpaced that which makes it a bit of a moot point. I suspect people in situations like that are the reason bars and restaurants are still so busy - if you can’t afford to buy may as well enjoy yourself. My relatives in Australia had this outlook a decade ago when they largely consigned themselves to renting unless an inheritance came in.
I would like to point out again that minimum wage workers in Canada saw amount the largest wage increase in 2023.
If you are saying they are still not keeping up, then the provincial government have it in their power to raise minimums at anytime to any level they want.

here is the increase in minimum wages for each province

Alb 0%
BC 7.0%
Man 13.3%
NB 7.3%
NFLD 9.5%
NWT 5.6%
NS 10.3%
NT 0%
Ont 6.8%
PEI 9.5%
Que 7.0%
Sask 7.7%
YT 6.8%

https://srv116.services.gc.ca/dimt-w...eCulture=en-CA

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 11:46 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
Wage growth in Canada is at nearly 2x the inflation rate right now and has been above inflation for a while.
you would be hard pressed to find another time in Canada history where wage growth has been a around 5% for such a long time and full 2% above inflation
Quote:
I would like to point out again that minimum wage workers in Canada saw amount the largest wage increase in 2023.
THANK YOU NITE!!!!

You have absolutely proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, that we are indeed living in the best of times in Canada.

Canadians - Young Canadians especially! - have never had it so good. With their wages sky rocketing, Millenials and GenZ's will be able to enjoy a standard of living far above anything their parents could have ever imagined!!

Again, thank you for finding, and posting, all these stats. Obviously if we didn't have you telling us how good things are, we might (just might mind you) have thought that things weren't all that rosy!

And of course, these good, no, great! times are all courtesy of our canny PM who has managed our economy with a laser focus on success for all, especially the next generation!!!

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 12:51 PM
Cap the Cut!

Gotta love Canada. Mansions for $87.00/sq. ft. Bbbbbuuutttt.butbutbut but, etc.

Hopefully it was bought by a nice immigrant family who also bought a local Tim's or McDonald's or perhaps U-Haul franchise (which would mean superior customer service) and they will live multi-generational style and upkeep this behemoth of a house.

Screenshot 2024-03-23 12.25.57 PM by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 1:04 PM

Quote:
For the last 12 month wage growth was at 5.0%
Exactly, relative wages are going down:
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6995438

Thanks Justin for depressing Canadian wages! Nominal wages up a pathetic 5% (i.e. down compared to the cost of living with a roof over one’s head), while food bank use and homelessness keep breaking new records (as expected — it’s a direct effect of the Scheme).

By the way, this visible degradation of quality of life is why Canadians are going to kick this government out ASAP. Hopefully for Canadian workers, the next guy won’t pursue the same Wage Depression Scheme …

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 1:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Amherst is an interesting town. 125-150 years ago, there was a strong industrial base in the town, and it was an economic rival to Moncton in the central Maritimes, but, the industrial base in Canada was centralized to Ontario under the policies of CD Howe during WW2, and the economy of the town collapsed, never to recover.

There is a good smattering of elegant houses in the town left over from the golden years, but they have been severely undervalued and difficult to sell for the last 80 years. A definite buyers market.

The economic depression in the town continues. Amherst has the misfortune to be on the wrong side of the Cobequid Pass. The economy of NS is definitely the tale of two provinces. There is the greater Halifax hegemon, and, then there is everyone else at the periphery........

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Amherst is an interesting town. 125-150 years ago, there was a strong industrial base in the town, and it was an economic rival to Moncton in the central Maritimes, but, the industrial base in Canada was centralized to Ontario under the policies of CD Howe during WW2, and the economy of the town collapsed, never to recover.

There is a good smattering of elegant houses in the town left over from the golden years, but they have been severely undervalued and difficult to sell for the last 80 years. A definite buyers market.

The economic depression in the town continues. Amherst has the misfortune to be on the wrong side of the Cobequid Pass. The economy of NS is definitely the tale of two provinces. There is the greater Halifax hegemon, and, then there is everyone else at the periphery........
What is the town waiting for to launch the “Amherst College of Business” in any empty commercial storefront and start selling visas to young South Asians who’ll fill up all those empty mansions so quickly, there’ll soon be a local housing crisis!

Get on with the times!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
What is the town waiting for to launch the “Amherst College of Business” in any empty commercial storefront and start selling visas to young South Asians who’ll fill up all those empty mansions so quickly, there’ll soon be a local housing crisis!

Get on with the times!
There's a surplus of probably half a million students in Brampton and the GTA that can be shipped off to this Amherst college overnight. Just tag an affiliation with Conestoga College or Algoma University, and pitch it as their 'satellite' campus.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 10:24 AM

According to my calculations, the population clock will hit 41,000,000 people sometime on March 31, 2024.

The population hit 40,000,000 on June 16, 2023.

Incredibly, in just 9.5 months, Canada added one million people.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 12:40 PM
The New Republic

The surge in population the last 2 years will almost certainly be a blip. Population growth will start coming down although I doubt we'll see significant decreases till 2025. People arriving in 2024 were likely approved awhile ago and have already made plans (selling property, putting in notice at work) to move. One can't exactly deny someone who's already had their application accepted.

The question mark is where the new level of population growth will settle. 900,000? 700,000? or lower? I doubt Canada will see a return to the 1% annual target from 10 years ago.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 2:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
According to my calculations, the population clock will hit 41,000,000 people sometime on March 31, 2024.

The population hit 40,000,000 on June 16, 2023.

Incredibly, in just 9.5 months, Canada added one million people.
I'm personally rooting for April 1st (All Fools Day)

What a perfect testament to the greatest fool himself (JT) if we reach this milestone(?) on this particular date.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The surge in population the last 2 years will almost certainly be a blip. Population growth will start coming down although I doubt we'll see significant decreases till 2025. People arriving in 2024 were likely approved awhile ago and have already made plans (selling property, putting in notice at work) to move. One can't exactly deny someone who's already had their application accepted.

The question mark is where the new level of population growth will settle. 900,000? 700,000? or lower? I doubt Canada will see a return to the 1% annual target from 10 years ago.
The last couple of years was the culmination of a bunch of runaway programs resuming on afterburners after covid + a quarter of a million Ukrainians.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada