HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 4:31 PM
Registered Ugly

Same with Redding. You have to fly to SEA or SFO. It’s so annoying having to always do a connection at SEA over half the time we travel.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Same with Redding. You have to fly to SEA or SFO. It’s so annoying having to always do a connection at SEA over half the time we travel.
Same with tri cities. I used to often connect in pdx to pasco. No longer, and as PSC has boomed as one of fastest growing airports in the US over last 20 years, they are adding jet flights to many cities…but not PDX. Huge feeder to Seattle with 181,000 passenger departures on that route alone. My parents live there and can fly directly to LAX, PHX, MSP, but not Portland.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2024, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
Same with tri cities. I used to often connect in pdx to pasco. No longer, and as PSC has boomed as one of fastest growing airports in the US over last 20 years, they are adding jet flights to many cities…but not PDX. Huge feeder to Seattle with 181,000 passenger departures on that route alone. My parents live there and can fly directly to LAX, PHX, MSP, but not Portland.
It’s too bad this has been the trend post COVID, Alaska airlines in particular has really pushed everything through Seattle at the expense of pdx. I’d think actually things will swing back, as Seattle keeps getting more congested and pdx completes a major terminal expansion. The flight loads are healthy through pdx so there is clearly demand. We’re in a challenging spot, only 30 minutes by air from a major hub airport, so places like pasco have little reason to fly nonstop to pdx when Seattle has waaay more international connections and flights every 30 minutes to pdx. Seattle also has a Delta hub, so Alaska funnels as much as possible through there to keep them at bay. Not fun or convenient for your parents and others in the same boat though. The port just needs to aggressively push for these local connections and like you said international service expansion would then be more likely, and that growth would keep feeding on itself.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
It’s too bad this has been the trend post COVID, Alaska airlines in particular has really pushed everything through Seattle at the expense of pdx. I’d think actually things will swing back, as Seattle keeps getting more congested and pdx completes a major terminal expansion. The flight loads are healthy through pdx so there is clearly demand. We’re in a challenging spot, only 30 minutes by air from a major hub airport, so places like pasco have little reason to fly nonstop to pdx when Seattle has waaay more international connections and flights every 30 minutes to pdx. Seattle also has a Delta hub, so Alaska funnels as much as possible through there to keep them at bay. Not fun or convenient for your parents and others in the same boat though. The port just needs to aggressively push for these local connections and like you said international service expansion would then be more likely, and that growth would keep feeding on itself.
I really don't grasp the airline market biz. Is it a strong get stronger situation? Places like SEA, DEN get a critical mass then the strong feeder networks push better international connections, and it feeds on itself?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Alaska Airlines better connects Portland with more flights to popular destinations

As the West Coast's premier airline, we offer our guests a premium travel experience with the most legroom in First Class* and Premium Class and a generous loyalty program

SEATTLE, Feb. 12, 2024 /PRNewswire/ -- Alaska Airlines is ramping up our growth in Portland to provide our guests with more choice and convenience. We've added more than 20 daily departures starting this summer to sought-after destinations from the Rose City. Our capacity has increased by 25%, improving connectivity and providing additional travel options.

"We've been the largest carrier in Portland for more than 20 years. We don't take that for granted. It's important for us to provide our guests with a variety of convenient flight options at PDX along with the addition of new routes. We know travelers have a choice and we want them to fly with us," said Kirsten Amrine, vice president of revenue management and network planning for Alaska Airlines.

All our guests – whether in Portland or across our expanding network – can take advantage of a premium travel experience on their next Alaska flight. We are the West Coast's premier airline offering our flyers the most legroom in First Class* and Premium Class; no change fees; multiple fare offerings; the most generous loyalty program with Mileage Plan with the fastest path to elite status; 30 global partners; and West Coast food and beverage on board.

With Sunday's big game, we turned to the biggest advertising moment of the year to spotlight our premium products and services, including highlighting our most legroom. Our new campaign can now be seen in the Portland, Seattle, San Francisco/Bay Area and San Diego markets.
...continues at the Alaska Airlines website.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 6:05 PM

Quote:
A little annoying they are still blaming the pandemic when nationally traffic is much above pre-pandemic (having pass pre-pandemic 6 months ago). Clearly something else is at play with PDX for why it lags so much.
The survey is specifically about international business travel, and I do think the fact that business travel is down (everywhere) is a relevant factor for why we don't have a flight to Asia right now. Looking at the Port's statistics international passengers have been growing in number faster year-on-year than domestic passengers. Our service to Europe, which has stronger leisure demand, is higher than it's ever been. I'm not sure about Alaska's numbers to Mexico, but Volaris exceeded pre-pandemic passenger numbers in 2022 and is now at 130% of 2019 numbers.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Great to see this, and long overdue. A 25% capacity increase from PDX's largest airline -- perhaps finally a recognition that we don't need to fly through Seattle to get to Redmond!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Great to see this, and long overdue. A 25% capacity increase from PDX's largest airline -- perhaps finally a recognition that we don't need to fly through Seattle to get to Redmond!
It is great to see them increasing the number of flights, but it seems to be all existing routes. Hopefully we will hear some new routes added soon as well as I think the demand is definitely there. I flew round trip to Sacramento last week on Southwest and both there and back were packed planes.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 9:17 PM

Quote:
The new PDX starts opening in May! Here’s what to expect.

This May, we’re looking forward to showing you what we’ve been up to.

Soon you’ll be able to wander amid the trees and admire the clouds through the skylights in the Douglas fir roof. We’re adding even more local shops and restaurants to the airport and bringing back some favorite PDX features — like the iconic carpet and the passageway between all four concourses.

Think of the late May opening as a “Wow!” in progress: We’re rolling out PDX’s new designs in two phases so you can see the good stuff as soon as it’s finished. It also allows us to upgrade PDX without any closures or flight delays — and reduce the carbon footprint of the construction while we’re at it.

Here’s what you can look forward to exploring, as well as what to be prepared for during each phase:
...continues at PDX Next.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
It is great to see them increasing the number of flights, but it seems to be all existing routes. Hopefully we will hear some new routes added soon as well as I think the demand is definitely there. I flew round trip to Sacramento last week on Southwest and both there and back were packed planes.
Yeah they aren’t super sexy flights, but the increases in frequency help solidify pdx as an Alaska hub. More regional flights means more travelers being routed through Portland to get to Miami, New York, etc etc and then we’ll hopefully see more of those long distance routes added in the coming years.

Last edited by downtownpdx; Feb 17, 2024 at 4:29 AM. Reason: sp

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Yeah they aren’t super sexy flights, but the increases in frequency help solidify pdx as an Alaska hub. More regional flights means more travelers being routed through Portland to get to Miami, New York, etc etc and then we’ll hopefully see more of those long distance routes added in the coming years.
Also, once the concourse connector returns the experience of connecting between Alaska and their international partners that use the D gates will be much improved.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 8:48 PM
Registered Ugly

I’m excited about this for a lot of reasons, namely improved service, but there’s something to be said about how unique this place is going to be for out-of-town visitors. I’m excited for my parents to visit and see this for the first time. It’s just one more easy reason to be proud of this place we call home.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Also, once the concourse connector returns the experience of connecting between Alaska and their international partners that use the D gates will be much improved.
Exactly, if you look at PDX reviews on Google that’s one of the most common complaints, the inability to go between the north and south sides without returning to security. A lot of people don't realize this is temporary, but just a few more months... I’m glad the most important parts of the remodel are coming to fruition first - the revamped security, airline check in, mezzanine dining. The Alaska Lounge (and north side lounge),, additional retail outlets and reworked/expanded baggage claim will also be great but not as urgent.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Alaska Airlines adds nonstop service between Portland and Atlanta this fall

Alaska Airlines continues to grow in Portland to provide our guests with more choice and convenience with nonstop service to Atlanta beginning this fall. The daily flight starts Oct. 1 and will operate year-round. Tickets will be available for purchase starting this weekend at alaskaair.com.

With the addition of our Portland-Atlanta flight, we’ll now serve 54 nonstop destinations from Portland. On Nov. 17, we began nonstop service to Miami, and year-round flights to Nashville will start on March 14.

Earlier this month, we announced the addition of more than 20 daily departures starting this summer to sought-after destinations from Portland. Our capacity has increased by 25%, improving connectivity and providing additional travel options.

All our guests can take advantage of a premium travel experience on their next Alaska flight. We are the West Coast’s premier airline offering our flyers the most legroom in First Class (excluding lie-flat seats) and Premium Class; no change fees; multiple fare offerings; the most generous loyalty program with Mileage Plan with the fastest path to elite status; 30 global partners; and West Coast food and beverage on board.
...continues at Alaska Airlines.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 2:47 PM

Quote:
...continues at Alaska Airlines.
Is this starting flights to ATL entirely or adding a new flight to an existing? Pretty shocking if only starting, it's the biggest airport in the US and world. I didn't realize Alaska didn't fly to ATL if so. They have Boston, Newark, Miami but not ATL?....guess my understanding of airline biz really is not good.

I guess my recent trip to ATL was on Delta and I didn't pay attention to other airlines.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Is this starting flights to ATL entirely or adding a new flight to an existing? Pretty shocking if only starting, it's the biggest airport in the US and world. I didn't realize Alaska didn't fly to ATL if so. They have Boston, Newark, Miami but not ATL?....guess my understanding of airline biz really is not good.

I guess my recent trip to ATL was on Delta and I didn't pay attention to other airlines.
Yeah Delta has always been the king of this route, but I was browsing airliners.net and looks like Alaska had at least one attempt at nonstop ATL pre-Covid. It (they?) was redeye, and this one is daytime -- so hopefully it'll stick this time.

Great to see recent growth in PDX routes finally. In addition to this ATL route, other Alaska Airlines October additions: Boston extends its 2x daily from summer into October; Las Vegas goes from 5 to 6 daily (on top of current 4 to 5 increase); and San Jose goes from 5 to 6 daily. Curious why they'd start ATL in October, I'd think they would want to grab the summer season demand for PDX bound passengers.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 7:33 PM
Registered Ugly

From pdxairport

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 11:15 PM

It really is going to be jaw-dropping when it's open! I may be biased, but I think this is the type of impression International Travellers want to see when flying into the US. We need more international routes!!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 12:22 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
It really is going to be jaw-dropping when it's open! I may be biased, but I think this is the type of impression International Travellers want to see when flying into the US. We need more international routes!!
True.

One side observation I want to note. The US has really upped its game for airport terminals over the last 10 or so years. They were just so damn bad compared to international airports up to the early 2000’s (I recall reading a Thomas Friedman article saying such, how depressing it was here), but across the country ports have been pouring massive amounts of money into improvements, even aesthetic/grand ones after a generation of utilitarian infrastructure terminals. Portland, Nashville just opened a very nice massive overhaul sim to Portland, I flew into Indy a few years - the entire airport was literally brand new and very nice, Philly has poured in literal billions to make a dated shell fairly pleasant and intimate, Seattle, Detroit…and on and on.. Great to see….I no longer loathe flying into most airports anymore (save Newark and the crappy way overcrowded DFW terminal Alaska uses there). Something to be said for all of this. A little national pride statement.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 1:23 AM

Frontier adding Portland to Salt Lake City (a route already served by Delta and Alaska).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure