HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 4, 2023, 2:50 PM

This will add to the urban wall along Sherbrook, but I doubt it will interact with the street very much. I mean, it's a hospital, so I don't think we can expect street level CRUs or cafes and whatnot. Like the Manitoba Clinic doesn't do much to liven up the street. This may just solidify the fortress/campus feel of HSC.

The businesses on the other side of Sherbrook, like the funeral home were threatening recently to pull out of the area because of the crime and urban decay. It would be great if this development could do something to uplift the surrounding area, but I suspect it will just continue the trend of a closed off, urban campus/fortress. But I also get it. Employees want to feel safe, and have a safe place to park their cars and not have to encounter the disorder of the local area.

The central part of the HSC campus, around McDermot and Emily, has a really nice university campus feel, seems busy, and is connected to a good bike lane and such. I wish they could build on that vibe a bit more throughout the area.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2023, 3:06 PM

^ Good points all around.

On that note, I truly wish that the area between the West Exchange and HSC wasn't so downtrodden and chaotic. I'm not saying I want it to become a gentrified condoland that only yuppies could afford to live in, but rather an economically diverse place like West Broadway as opposed to a "last resort" type neighbourhood that you only live in because you have to, not because you want to.

It would do so much to improve the overall feel of downtown/West Exchange, and it would help connect HSC to the Exchange. There could be a village between the two that might be attractive to hospital staff, U of M students, etc. As things stand I doubt there are many U of M students living anywhere near HSC because why would they want to? I'd love to see that change, but I really haven't seen any signs of improvement.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2023, 3:23 PM

^Agreed. I often ride the McDermot bike lane from HSC to the Exchange, and that area has really tipped into a deep decline in recent years. I mean, the 7-11 at William and Isabel threw in the towel. If they can't make it in that area, it's pretty bad. It's pretty forlorn between Sherbrook and say Ellen Street.

I think your comparison to West Broadway is a good one. Back in the 1990s, it was fairly common for students to live in that area near HSC. Now, I can't imagine it. But the area has good bones, and the location is great. With some targeted investment, it could be made a more attractive place for students and urban types. Not sure what role the HSC could play in that revitalization. But yeah, not any sign of improvement these days.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2023, 5:48 PM

^ There are some amazing old warehouse buildings on that stretch of McDermot. I hope they will stick around long enough to be residential conversions someday, as that stretch improves.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2023, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Good points all around.

On that note, I truly wish that the area between the West Exchange and HSC wasn't so downtrodden and chaotic. I'm not saying I want it to become a gentrified condoland that only yuppies could afford to live in, but rather an economically diverse place like West Broadway as opposed to a "last resort" type neighbourhood that you only live in because you have to, not because you want to.

It would do so much to improve the overall feel of downtown/West Exchange, and it would help connect HSC to the Exchange. There could be a village between the two that might be attractive to hospital staff, U of M students, etc. As things stand I doubt there are many U of M students living anywhere near HSC because why would they want to? I'd love to see that change, but I really haven't seen any signs of improvement.
A lot of UM students are local and live with family. Less true of medicine's UGME and PGME programs, which recruit more nationally.

But the question is whether neighbourhoods nearby will get a boost from having nursing's 360 new BN students a year (plus ~50 grad students) at Bannatyne.

Problem is for the BN, that program's first year is all general science courses that they'd take at the Fort Garry campus in the south of the city. So if you move to Winnipeg for this program or rent a place of your own while studying, you might actually choose a place near Fort Garry to be close in your first year... and then commute to HSC in years 2-4.

I wouldn't count on student populations alone to revitalize the neighbourhood, sadly, unlike university neighbourhoods near schools that have more out-of-town students vs local commuters.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2023, 3:29 PM

I actually think if they made affordable student/resident housing near the Bannatyne campus, a lot of people would take it up. The other side of Sherbrook (where Subway/TomYum, etc) are would be a good area. When you're a student/resident living right next to work is extremely helpful and students are more likely to take the chance even in a higher crime area. I do think this area is one that would benefit from a larger police presence - basically there should be a police vehicle parked at the corners of the HSC/Bannatyne campus and constant patrolling presence.

If a bit more of an urban village presence developed, along with a decent police presence, healthcare workers would likely come out in droves to support the restaurants/shops there.

Also, does anyone know what is being built next to the Cupe204/Notre Dame Ave? I have seen some pile driving going on there.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2023, 3:40 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

hsc has a city caviet to build housing cause of what they have demolished expanding
and whats hurt the surounding area is land speculator that high grade the piss out of the rentals and dont vcare if they get trashed

Old Posted Aug 6, 2023, 3:46 PM

Wahbung Abinoonjiiag Inc has started construction on their 24 family housing project on one of the former Manitoba Housing sites on Watt St. @ Chalmers Ave in Elmwood.

Foundation work (piles) started in the last week. I was wondering if the project was actually going to start as Graham Construction has had the site fenced off for a few months with no work going on.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2023, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrial78 View Post

Also, does anyone know what is being built next to the Cupe204/Notre Dame Ave? I have seen some pile driving going on there.
If I am thinking of the right site, this is a social service, and if I recall right it's the kind that shouldn't have its address searchable online, so please bear that in mind as we discuss it here.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2023, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
If I am thinking of the right site, this is a social service, and if I recall right it's the kind that shouldn't have its address searchable online, so please bear that in mind as we discuss it here.
The Manitoba Metis Federation doesn't want the location or what it does kept secret.

MMF has a section on their website on what is being built there, including the Metis name of the project and street address as its being promoted as the MMF version of Ronald McDonald House.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2023, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
The Manitoba Metis Federation doesn't want the location or what it does kept secret.

MMF has a section on their website on what is being built there, including the Metis name of the project and street address as its being promoted as the MMF version of Ronald McDonald House.
oh my mistake! i thought this was where the women's shelter was going.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2023, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
When my sister had her 2 children at Womens hospital. One at the new and one at the old. The staff told my brother in law not to leave late at night. Literally said to him "where tf you going at this hour?" lol

The areas directly east and south of the Hospital are terrible. It's a real shame, that area has a lot of potential. It is centrally located, lots of nice old homes. Would be nice if that areas was gentrified someday.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
The areas directly east and south of the Hospital are terrible. It's a real shame, that area has a lot of potential. It is centrally located, lots of nice old homes. Would be nice if that areas was gentrified someday.
The area around HSC and toward the Exchange district should be thriving! Every time I drove a bus down William I imagined how the area should be. I don't have a clue what could be done to make that happen though.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 4:56 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
The area around HSC and toward the Exchange district should be thriving! Every time I drove a bus down William I imagined how the area should be. I don't have a clue what could be done to make that happen though.
make it so slum lords cant afford to be in buisnes by actualy inforcing codes and public health

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
make it so slum lords cant afford to be in buisnes by actualy inforcing codes and public health
It is far more than dealing with slum lords although they are a big issue. I know someone who has a property near Sargent and Furby and there is absolutely rampant crime in the area. There is a crack house 2 houses down which sees a constant stream of "clients" throughout the day and night and all the needles and debris that brings. A person was murdered in their back lane recently. I don't understand how this can happen so openly. I know people in the area hate how bad it has gotten and the crime is an massive replant to anyone who would want to live in the area. Until the crime in the area is somewhat reduced the area has no chance to improve. It is true the area has really good bones and could be something special if the city actually invested in it and hopefully that happens.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 3:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastK View Post
It is far more than dealing with slum lords although they are a big issue. I know someone who has a property near Sargent and Furby and there is absolutely rampant crime in the area. There is a crack house 2 houses down which sees a constant stream of "clients" throughout the day and night and all the needles and debris that brings. A person was murdered in their back lane recently. I don't understand how this can happen so openly. I know people in the area hate how bad it has gotten and the crime is an massive replant to anyone who would want to live in the area. Until the crime in the area is somewhat reduced the area has no chance to improve. It is true the area has really good bones and could be something special if the city actually invested in it and hopefully that happens.
Well the left wing clueless woke crowd wanted the police to only be reactionary when dealing with crime instead of proactive and this is the result!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 3:15 PM

We've been throwing money at the police like nobodies business and they can't get crime under control.. So why keep throwing money at them?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 3:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Well the left wing clueless woke crowd wanted the police to only be reactionary when dealing with crime instead of proactive and this is the result!
Yes and retarded right wing nutsos like you want the budget to consist of tax handouts for the rich and the police. Guess we'll find out which world Manitobans want to live in

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 3:36 PM
the first stamp is free

^ because we are insane.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 3:51 PM

drove by the Royal Fork site
images dont show when i embed them...maybe a mod can help?

https://www.mediafire.com/view/6ixwi...805_133857.jpg

https://www.mediafire.com/view/p105k...805_133907.jpg

Last edited by rkspec; Aug 9, 2023 at 4:06 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan