HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 7:52 PM
Skyriser

I don't mind parking podiums cause they add height. And developers are just barely getting uncomfortable with unbundling parking.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I don't mind parking podiums cause they add height. And developers are just barely getting uncomfortable with unbundling parking.
Makes me think we won't ever be able to fully pedestrianize those streets though

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 9:51 PM
Skyriser

A curb cut for a podium isn't the worse thing in the world. Banning on-street loading, the difficulty of activating a block on all sides, the overall shift towards larger ground floor spaces, the fact that few spaces are even built for entertainment and full restaurant uses, and the limited desire a lot of developers have to even consider mixed use on the ground floor is more the problem. They don't build like it's 1900 anymore for a lot of reasons.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 1:10 AM

That would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurjKhalifa2Builder View Post
These parking podiums are so sad. I hope some day the city can partner with the building owners to eliminate on-street and surface parking downtown and replace it with something like a ride share model
If Tempe wasn't in a desert with 140% heat reflecting off the concrete. You might be one of the few who likes walking in that heat or waiting for bus etc but give me a car any day.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 4:38 PM

Nice update on Tempe & Scottsdale projects:

https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/h...elopment-boom/

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 10:32 PM

Article on the 5-story apartments at Smith & Rio starting construction.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...ate=2021-07-15
High Street Residential, the Dallas-based residential subsidiary of Trammell Crow Co., has broken ground on a 310-unit apartment community in Tempe.

Total development costs for the project are expected to range between $75 million and $80 million, said Paul Tuchin, principal with High Street Residential.

Called Smith & Rio, the 5-story apartment community will be built on 3.4 acres just south of Loop 202 and west of Loop 101. Construction is expected to be completed in 2023.

Located at 1979 E. Rio Salado Parkway, the apartment community will be built directly across the street from the 1.3 million-square-foot Tempe Marketplace. Wespac Construction is general contractor, while ESG Architecture and Design is architect for the project.

Tuchin said it's too soon to determine rental rates for the 5-story property, which will offer a mix of studio, one-, and two-bedroom units, including a selection of one-bedroom units with additional den/home office space. Amenities will include a fifth-floor sky lounge, two outdoor courtyards, a dog park and pet lounge, a work-from-home area with individual work spaces, a pool, spa, fitness center and water features throughout the outdoor spaces.

"Phoenix has strong market fundamentals and is a leading market for job/employment growth and population growth, making it an attractive place to build and invest," Tuchin said. "There is a true need for a diversified housing stock in the metro and the demand for 'for-rent' housing continues to outpace supply."

Smith & Rio is among nearly 24,000 apartment units under construction in metro Phoenix, said Peter O'Neil, research director for NorthMarq, up from about 15,000 units that were under construction one year ago.

"Not all of these units were delivered in the second half of this year — the bulk of the projects will come online in 2022 or 2023," O'Neil said. "The increase in the number of projects in the development pipeline is going to greatly help ease the supply-demand imbalance that we have been experiencing for the past year."

Chasing the demand
The projects under construction are needed to keep pace with renter demand for apartments, O'Neil said.

"Renters have moved into a net of more than 15,000 apartment units in the past year, more than doubling the average annual absorption levels since 2015," O'Neil said.

Apartment vacancy rates have reached all-time lows, fueling rent increases, he said.

"Vacancy ended the second quarter at just 4.1%, down from 5.7% one year ago, and the lowest figure on record," O'Neil said. "Local rents rose more than $100 per month in the second quarter."

High Street Residential's newest project adds to its 191-unit The Astor at Osborn and the 160-unit Gramercy Scottsdale. The first phase of the 348-unit Mercer on Fillmore is expected to be ready in a few months.

"We are working on a second phase of our Mercer on Fillmore project in downtown Phoenix," Tuchin said, with construction to begin in 2022 or 2023.

The High Street Residential team is managing five active multifamily projects, which will deliver a total of 1,350 units, Tuchin said.

"HSR still owns all of our multifamily developments, though as a merchant developer, the business plan for all TCC/HSR developments is to sell once an asset is stabilized," he said.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2021, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
If Tempe wasn't in a desert with 140% heat reflecting off the concrete. You might be one of the few who likes walking in that heat or waiting for bus etc but give me a car any day.
With really aggressive urban canopy and density of different uses, electric bikes and scooters would be a much much better alternative to the current car-dominated sprawl we have now. And that's true even for the 4 worst months.

Full shade cover reduces surface temps by 20-30 degrees.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 4:51 PM

Construction equipment on-site at Omni! Pumped to see this one get started!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 7:40 PM

Nice!!!! Thanks for the update MR RE.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
Construction equipment on-site at Omni! Pumped to see this one get started!
Silly to complain about the old Chili's site finally getting developed, but man I wish they left the brown stucco off. Is it that much more cost effective? It almost looks like an added expense as it sits on top of glass. Regardless, still excited to watch Omni go vertical

https://www.simonhoffiz.com/omni-tempe

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 9:32 PM

I also noticed heavy equipment on site for the Novus Office Tower II site (which is behind the first office building but in front of the parking garage). Can anyone confirm that they started construction on the next office phase??

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 9:36 PM

Also not sure if yall seen this but Alien Donuts seems to have open a location at the bottom of the University Pointe Tower on Apache. While I can't speak to the food I admit that with the "alien neon" it presents a cool aesthetic to the ground floor retail in that area. It's in the suite that use to house the Hawaiian Lemonade place.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 9:38 PM
Skyriser

Glass is definitely more expensive in facades.

Quick googling gives EIFS at $0.86 square foot + $5 - $6 installation, glass is $25 - $75 a square foot materials and installation.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Silly to complain about the old Chili's site finally getting developed, but man I wish they left the brown stucco off. Is it that much more cost effective? It almost looks like an added expense as it sits on top of glass. Regardless, still excited to watch Omni go vertical

https://www.simonhoffiz.com/omni-tempe
Not saying it's not there, but I don't have a close enough view to be able to tell where are we seeing stucco?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soled View Post
Not saying it's not there, but I don't have a close enough view to be able to tell where are we seeing stucco?
The tan section that fronts University.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 7:57 PM

I stand corrected, the next phase of the office at Novus Place is under construction. I'll try and see if I can post an updated rendering later. A crane should be going up soon.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 5:56 PM

So Hines (who is developing the 100 S. Mill Office Tower) is requesting to buy the old Pennysaver lot next to Tempe Beach Park. So here's some highlights of the request to purchase the property from the City of Tempe:

The rehabilitation of the historic Ash Avenue roadbed;
 A 14-story office tower providing 216,000 square feet of office space (includes
approximately 3,500 square feet of lobby space) and 4,500 square feet of flex commercial
(restaurant / retail / creative office) space;
 An integrated six-level parking structure providing 549 vehicle spaces;
 Substantial landscape enhancements; and,
 32 bicycle spaces

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 6:42 PM

surveying going on at Omni Tempe site.

(if anyone could let me know how to put photos into a post let me know, I am not able to figure out the photo url part)

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
So Hines (who is developing the 100 S. Mill Office Tower) is requesting to buy the old Pennysaver lot next to Tempe Beach Park. So here's some highlights of the request to purchase the property from the City of Tempe:

The rehabilitation of the historic Ash Avenue roadbed;
 A 14-story office tower providing 216,000 square feet of office space (includes
approximately 3,500 square feet of lobby space) and 4,500 square feet of flex commercial
(restaurant / retail / creative office) space;
 An integrated six-level parking structure providing 549 vehicle spaces;
 Substantial landscape enhancements; and,
 32 bicycle spaces
Wow! Great news

Hopefully a plan for the old squatter land across the street is next.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Wow! Great news

Hopefully a plan for the old squatter land across the street is next.
Agreed!! Could probably get similar height from that same lot as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest