HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 3:35 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Last edited by LilZebra; Jul 30, 2008 at 3:14 PM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Glad you enjoyed your visit madsad. It was quite a week for planning conferences in Winnipeg. Any chance I poured you a beer at the Labour Temple on Saturday night?
Yeah, I'm sure you did send some pulls of Pilz my way at the Labour Temple. That was a great event, the Magnificent Sevens were awesome.

In Edmonton, there is a nearly identical structure called the Polish Hall. It commonly hosts concerts and similar events.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what do you specifically mean by the term "socially-progressive"?
Hard to answer in a few words...ummm...those who don't vote Republican would be my carefully-worded answer.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 3:20 PM

I'm not sure I agree with a few of the posts above that have the connotation that Bus Rapid Transit is "making due" with a lower budget, that it's the poor-man's answer to rapid transit. While, it can be argued, that in many cases this is true, you have to remember that rapid transit systems need to be planned for a specific scenario. Each city is unique. Each city has it's own layout, densities, proportion of transit mode-share, price the citizens are willing to pay for rapid transit, and potential ridership along transit corridors.

Heavy rail can carry more than 10,000 riders per direction per hour. So you'll need to carry near that number to minimize subsidies and recoup costs, or you'll end up with another BART, a system that has had trouble keeping ridership up to avoid asking for higher county and state operating subsidies (although, I would assume BART's ridership is increasing due to gas prices). Same with LRT: you need (rough guesstimate) 2500-8000 riders per direction per hour.

Does Winnipeg have this kind of demand? I would say no. There are some corridors which come close. The Pembina corridor from the U of M to Downtown, judging by the number of buses scheduled, probably could support a rapid transit system that would have a capacity for 3000 per direction per hour. Once again, a guess: Peak hours, combined routes have buses about every 3 minutes during fall/winter terms (20 per hour) at 50 pax per bus is 3000 pax per direction per hour. And that would be on the high side. This is bus rapid transit territory, on the low side for light rail, and certainly not heavy rail.

If the system is planned well, has a great brand image, and encourages Winnipegers to be proud of their city and satisfied which the service, it will work. But it has to be done right.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsad View Post
I'm not sure I agree with a few of the posts above that have the connotation that Bus Rapid Transit is "making due" with a lower budget, that it's the poor-man's answer to rapid transit. While, it can be argued, that in many cases this is true, you have to remember that rapid transit systems need to be planned for a specific scenario. Each city is unique. Each city has it's own layout, densities, proportion of transit mode-share, price the citizens are willing to pay for rapid transit, and potential ridership along transit corridors.
BRT IS a poor man's transit. Each city on the planet does have unique things about them, architecturally, and also ethnically, but aside from that every major city on the planet has the a downtown Central Business District, a central city residential area (like Crescentwood, West End, etc...), as well as inner and outer suburbs.

Winnipeg is absolutely no different from other cities in that regard.

Rapid transit does need to serve major destinations, and not be planned just for the sake of a rail line right of way being in place.

Quote:
Heavy rail can carry more than 10,000 riders per direction per hour. So you'll need to carry near that number to minimize subsidies and recoup costs, or you'll end up with another BART, a system that has had trouble keeping ridership up to avoid asking for higher county and state operating subsidies (although, I would assume BART's ridership is increasing due to gas prices). Same with LRT: you need (rough guesstimate) 2500-8000 riders per direction per hour.
Quote:
Does Winnipeg have this kind of demand? I would say no. There are some corridors which come close. The Pembina corridor from the U of M to Downtown, judging by the number of buses scheduled, probably could support a rapid transit system that would have a capacity for 3000 per direction per hour. Once again, a guess: Peak hours, combined routes have buses about every 3 minutes during fall/winter terms (20 per hour) at 50 pax per bus is 3000 pax per direction per hour. And that would be on the high side. This is bus rapid transit territory, on the low side for light rail, and certainly not heavy rail.
The Great Candian Talk Show quoted 50 buses per hour at the Osborne & Mostyn instersection where the ineffective diamond lane exists.

Quote:
If the system is planned well, has a great brand image, and encourages Winnipegers to be proud of their city and satisfied which the service, it will work. But it has to be done right.
Heavy rail can support more than 30,000 per hour in peak... There is another thread in the Canada section of SkyscraperPage.com discussing the various peaks of passenger carrying capacity for heavy vs light rail vehicles. It's not the rail gauge or the weight bearing of the rail itself, but the passengers/hour that a train can carry.

If Winnipeg used 3 or 4 car trains with a carrying capacity of 400 per train that would probabbly work from day 1. The headways would be every 3 - 5 minutes during peak. I'm just guessing at the headways though... Maybe they could run less or more often... They're variables you can play around with as a transportation planner.

Toronto's subway was built for 240,000 passengers / peak hour, which 50 years later has not reached yet... but one day it will and the capacity is there, without having to widen expressway roads which get congested as soon as they're completed anyways. Again, the other thread on SSP says that the TTC subway currently carries about 30,000 pph.

Comparing Winnipeg and Edmonton, Winnipeg is more dense:

Edmonton = 1,067 people per square kilometre
Winnipeg = 1,365 people per square kilometre

Jeff Lowe, who is a bit better a figures and stats and stuff wrote an OP-ED back in 1990 that confirms that Winnipeg can support heavy loads of passengers onto a rail transit system. Please read this:

http://uwto.org/fp/transit_1990jefflowe.html

And of course metropolitan Winnipeg's population has grown in the 18.5 years since the piece was written, making the points in article all that more relevant.

Also read Jeff's submission to the RTTF from 2005, which is on our TRUWinnipeg.org website. It's listed as "Why Winnipeg Warrants a Subway"

Can anyone point us to current figures on peak traffic volume (cars, SUVs, etc...) on the three major thoroughfares in Winnipeg?

* Portage Ave.
* Main St.
* Pembina Hwy.

Broadway is quite congested during the whole work days, what is the daily traffic volume on that thoroughfare?

One of the co-hosts on The Great Canadian Talk Show mentioned last week that there are 50 buses / peak hour at the Osborne @ Mostyn intersection (near the bridge).... But the thing is NOT to increase the size of the bus fleet, for example, by adding 50 more buses, and run more buses downtown to catch the people who who ride the bus, but rather to shorten the routes and let the people take the train over the very congested Osborne St. bridge (under the Assiniboine River) and Osborne Village and of course to where they're heading afterwards (home or downtown or elsewhere).

Someone has suggested that if you built an underground rapid transit line running thru Osborne Village, that you'd be able to turn that part of Osborne into a permanent pedestrian street, and remove all the surface automobiles. That would be really, really, cool, and would be more effective as a pedestrianized street than doing banning cars on Albert in the Exch

And going by how they estimate uptake of rail transit, you could take 50% of those figures because that's how many (at least) that would sell their cars and take rail-based rapid transit if it were built here in Winnipeg. Then you also figure in the current bus passengers along those same major thoroughfares and count all the routes (local, Express, and SuperExpress) that use those streets where a proposed rapid transit line would go.

I know recent figures say that counting the whole of metropolitan Winnipeg, 130,000 passengers ride the buses daily. That's less than ride Calgary's LRT on a daily basis. So Winnipeg is not fairing that well after all, despite what Tom Brodbeck says -- add LRT ridership + bus ridership.

Last edited by LilZebra; Jul 28, 2008 at 6:53 PM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
You should ask the 5 rookie drivers that quit last week. Hours of work, low starting wage, stress, hours of work. Nothing like being a rookie, starting at 5:25 and sometimes not being finished your day until close to 19:00. And then going in to work for 3:25 the next day. You can have weekends off after about 10 years if you don't mind having your day take 13 hours to complete for 7.5 hours pay. 15 or 16 years for a regular night shift with weekends off. 21 years plus for weekends off on day shift. Qualified people don't want the job.
Why split shifts aren't a good idea. There was a major commuter train crash in 1996 in NJ:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...51C0A960958260

BCTransit and the TTC have split shifts.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 1:17 AM

Split shifts are a necessity of operations here with 2 peak periods, and then to accommodate service levels on different lines. I think almost every transit operation has split shifts.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 3:31 AM
surely you agree with me

big announcement imminent....heard about it today.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 3:36 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Please, anything but BRT; Please!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 3:38 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsad View Post
In Edmonton, there is a nearly identical structure called the Polish Hall. It commonly hosts concerts and similar events.
I live a 10 minute walk from that hall.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 3:39 AM

Quote:
No service at all because they've decided to lock ATU out?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 4:53 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

hmm could this have anything to do with the 33billion the feds are giving to the provinces? onterio got 12 of it

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 5:44 AM
I am a typical

"Only 12? Surely we deserved twice that much!" -Ontarians comments regarding the money we got.

We actually got a fair bit in the Northwest, they're going to start work on twinning the TCH in NWO. They going to do Kenora to Manitoba, and Thunder Bay to Nipigon. No set dates yet, but we're closer than we've ever been. Manitoba should get at least one billion, hopefully that will be put to a new (and necessary) mass transit project!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 7:07 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Winnipeg Fake Press
7/30/08
by Reed Solomon
Sam Katz and Federal Govt. Announce New Teleportation booths.

Mayor Sam Katz today announced the creation of a series of teleportation booths, or pods, which would be placed at specific terminals throughout the city.

Invented by Seth Brundel, an American who loves sugar, the pods allow instantanous teleportation from one pod to the next. Says Katz "This will significantly eliminate the need for busses in the future"

Katz waved off concerns that if mosquitos flew into the pods at the same time as people, it would create an army of hybrid mosquito people. "Look, we got them on discount, but I'm sure they work". "These are well tested devices, bugs are non-existant" he said, as Brundel laid eggs in his ear.

Bus rapid transit proponents were severely disappointed. "We feel that Bus Rapid Transit provides the best cost:benefit ratio compared to other forms of rapid transit" Said some guy who works for New Flyer industries until tomorrow when another random series of massive layoffs are expected. Transit union representatives were equally furious and vowed to drive slower and act surly in retaliation.

Said a tenured University of Manitoba expert on teleportation "Teleportation booths will not function in lower than -10 degree weather without causing spontaneous explosion". He continued "It seems to me we would be better off going back to the days of the Ox Cart." as he got into his hybrid toyota and drove off.

As well, random citizens of South Winnipeg were against a teleportation hub being placed in their area of the city linking them with north main street. Protests were being planned for tomorrow at a Starbucks, led by Gordon Sinclair Jr. "We have expensive stuff and they're going to turn into mosquito people and steal it!" Said one latte drinking member of the bourgeoisie, who while distracted by this reporter had his stereo stolen by a 12 year old who cannot be named under the youth offenders act, and also because nobody caught him.

Still, this reporter is impressed that this city will finally be getting rapid transit. Even if the teleportation booths cause severe head cancer and random bowel failure.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
Winnipeg Fake Press
7/30/08
by Reed Solomon
Sam Katz and Federal Govt. Announce New Teleportation booths.

Mayor Sam Katz today announced the creation of a series of teleportation booths, or pods, which would be placed at specific terminals throughout the city.

Invented by Seth Brundel, an American who loves sugar, the pods allow instantanous teleportation from one pod to the next. Says Katz "This will significantly eliminate the need for busses in the future"

Katz waved off concerns that if mosquitos flew into the pods at the same time as people, it would create an army of hybrid mosquito people. "Look, we got them on discount, but I'm sure they work". "These are well tested devices, bugs are non-existant" he said, as Brundel laid eggs in his ear.

Bus rapid transit proponents were severely disappointed. "We feel that Bus Rapid Transit provides the best cost:benefit ratio compared to other forms of rapid transit" Said some guy who works for New Flyer industries until tomorrow when another random series of massive layoffs are expected. Transit union representatives were equally furious and vowed to drive slower and act surly in retaliation.

Said a tenured University of Manitoba expert on teleportation "Teleportation booths will not function in lower than -10 degree weather without causing spontaneous explosion". He continued "It seems to me we would be better off going back to the days of the Ox Cart." as he got into his hybrid toyota and drove off.

As well, random citizens of South Winnipeg were against a teleportation hub being placed in their area of the city linking them with north main street. Protests were being planned for tomorrow at a Starbucks, led by Gordon Sinclair Jr. "We have expensive stuff and they're going to turn into mosquito people and steal it!" Said one latte drinking member of the bourgeoisie, who while distracted by this reporter had his stereo stolen by a 12 year old who cannot be named under the youth offenders act, and also because nobody caught him.

Still, this reporter is impressed that this city will finally be getting rapid transit. Even if the teleportation booths cause severe head cancer and random bowel failure.
LMAO!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 8:50 AM
Back from the dead

^^ Lmao indeed !

"....as Brundel laid eggs in his ear." Ha ha ha !

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 12:02 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
"Only 12? Surely we deserved twice that much!" -Ontarians comments regarding the money we got.

We actually got a fair bit in the Northwest, they're going to start work on twinning the TCH in NWO. They going to do Kenora to Manitoba, and Thunder Bay to Nipigon. No set dates yet, but we're closer than we've ever been. Manitoba should get at least one billion, hopefully that will be put to a new (and necessary) mass transit project!
Spending on twinning from Kenora to Manitoba is basically spending on Manitoba. That's great news. I just tried out the new four-lane section from the Sault to Echo Bay and it is certainly a lot more confidence inspiring than driving at 60-80 km/h through the Garden River reserve, although now you don't see the water anywhere, which feels strange. There are a couple of interchanges and a couple of well-designed level crossings.

It certainly sounds like election time with all these announcements. I guess the Tories have calculated that there is a possibility of making gains in northern Ontario and in the Kitchener-Waterloo region. Hopefully they feel the same way about Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 12:17 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
We actually got a fair bit in the Northwest, they're going to start work on twinning the TCH in NWO. They going to do Kenora to Manitoba
Right on! Hopefully they'll consider twinning the small section of the TCH on the Manitoba side as well.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 1:00 PM

i just drove to rushing river pulling my trailer and I really didn't find the single too bad. there's tons of passing lanes and they are fairly well advertised. although 2 lanes would be much more confortable when coming head on with a semi.

if mb is not going to twin, they should add a few passing lanes at the very least

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 4:04 PM

Rapid transit rumour

What's interesting about this rumour is that TRUWinnipeg has no inside information of possible rail transit, but neither has Mary Agnes at the Freep been teasing us about possible BRT.

But what's also interesting is the timing of the upcoming announcement. It's the middle of summer, and just before the early- mid-August time when the politicians put out "feelers" for new ideas and possible things that will be forefront on the agenda in the coming months.

So will Katz announce an LRT line with promises for funding from the Province and the Federal government?

We wait and we wonder.

Last edited by LilZebra; Jul 30, 2008 at 4:15 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan