HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 3:18 AM

Thank you for the map graphic. I had absolutely no idea what "Ed Bluestein" was.

It's "183 frontage" or the "183 Lexus Lanes" for us common folk.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 5:07 AM

Yep, thanks for the map. Like I said, straddling a waste treatment plant. Don’t envy the sales team on that one.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Yep, thanks for the map. Like I said, straddling a waste treatment plant. Don’t envy the sales team on that one.
The treatment plant has been decommissioned since 2006. It may not be the prettiest sight, but it won't be stinking up the area any worse than it already is.

When they rebuilt 183 here, I questioned the wisdom of including a pedestrian bridge across the freeway to a concrete plant. But now it'll be right on the doorstep of thousands of people's homes and offices. Not bad foresight.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
The treatment plant has been decommissioned since 2006. It may not be the prettiest sight, but it won't be stinking up the area any worse than it already is.

When they rebuilt 183 here, I questioned the wisdom of including a pedestrian bridge across the freeway to a concrete plant. But now it'll be right on the doorstep of thousands of people's homes and offices. Not bad foresight.
Wait until you find out about bolm district park.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Don't forget the never-ending sound of airplanes. It's right in the flight path of the runways.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
The treatment plant has been decommissioned since 2006. It may not be the prettiest sight, but it won't be stinking up the area any worse than it already.
Well that’s good to know. I wonder if the “civic” use they’ve included in the proposal will deal with that plant. I admittedly know nothing about what it could take to remediate something like that, but assume it can be done given the will and the funds.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 11:22 PM

It would actually be pretty cool if some of the buildings from the treatment plant could be saved and repurposed kind of like the Mueller tower and the Seaholm Building.

https://austin.towers.net/govalles-a...lyn@towers.net

Old Posted Apr 9, 2023, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
It would actually be pretty cool if some of the buildings from the treatment plant could be saved and repurposed kind of like the Mueller tower and the Seaholm Building.

https://austin.towers.net/govalles-a...lyn@towers.net
Interesting read. Towers notes that the UT Architecture program did an adaptive reuse study focused on that treatment plant back in 2013. The link to the study is password protected, so there's no sense of what the details are, but it's definitely something that makes you go hmmmm. That "civic" use could be pretty cool if they go the adaptive reuse route.

I'm also glad to see development on the doorstep of the Dog's Head parcel. Nothing wrong with slowly ratcheting pressure in the background to get that area rezoned, cleaned up, and ready for shovels.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 9:33 PM

T3 Eastside

Cosmic Coffee

Old Posted Apr 15, 2023, 6:19 AM

Oden Hughes Airport Blvd

5100 Bolm

Broadstone East End

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
This is either two buildings of the same scope on one parcel (possibly as separate phases) or the same project.

1007 E. 7th
Residential Plan Seeks a Sweet 90 Feet on East Seventh Street

Quote:
A rezoning case on the agenda for next week’s City Council meeting could bring extra height to an East Austin apartment project planned near downtown — and we think that means something! Scheduled for a public hearing at Council’s upcoming meeting on April 20, the case concerns a 0.65-acre assembly of adjacent properties at 1007 and 1021 East Seventh Street, both currently occupied by office uses. The site is located inside the Plaza Saltillo Transit-Oriented Development planning district, which would normally allow a base height of 60 feet — and if the rezoning request for the properties moves forward, that limit would be amended to allow a 90-foot building instead.

The developers of the property at California-based real estate firm CIM Group plan to build a 145-unit apartment building at the site, with approximately 15 of those units, or 10 percent, income-restricted to tenants earning 60 percent of less of the median family income. That’s nearly downtown-style density on such a small tract, only made possible by rising 90 feet instead of 60 — the site is about a quarter-mile from downtown at most, making the argument for taller buildings pretty straightforward.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 4:49 AM

Trinsic Cesear Chavez

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 3:22 AM

Quote:
7th on 7th

This has stalled out, concrete is riddled with graffiti.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 1:25 AM

The Goodwin

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 3:36 PM

Quote:
1010 East 7th

The house on site was demolished recently.

Quote:
Mixed-use development in East Austin with 84 multi-family units and 6,000 sq ft of retail space. The entire building is already under a master lease with a well-known name in the real estate industry.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2023, 4:25 AM

Springdale Green

The Goodwin

Old Posted Apr 29, 2023, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
Springdale Green

That pedestrian bridge makes me burst into laughter everytime I drive under it. Why on earth did they build that monstrosity? Literally not sure I have ever seen a single person use it, and there is a light with a crosswalk right next to it.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2023, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertowelroll View Post
That pedestrian bridge makes me burst into laughter everytime I drive under it. Why on earth did they build that monstrosity? Literally not sure I have ever seen a single person use it, and there is a light with a crosswalk right next to it.
It was before my time in Austin (as far as I can remember it was always there), but I believe a child (or more than 1) from the affordable housing complex that used to be there was killed trying to cross Airport to the strip mall. The walkway was what the neighborhood wanted, but people kept jay-walking instead of going up and down the ramps, so they added the crosswalk later.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2023, 2:28 PM

According to the now almost ten year old Airport Blvd. redevelopment report, that pedestrian bridge is going to be removed. Not sure if that is still the plan but they have added several pedestrian traffic lights near there.

https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/de...ry_11_2014.pdf

Old Posted Apr 30, 2023, 4:36 PM

The plan is still to remove it. We are almost getting to the heavy construction for all the corridor work. It'll be nice to see it all come together.

https://app.e-builder.net/public/fil...7a6901b56f5%7D

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin