HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm not a graffiti fan personally, I don't see much beauty in it. Frankly, if anything it feels like a sign of decay and social disorder in a city as opposed to any sort of vibrancy.

But that said, it doesn't bother me as long as it is restricted to back alleys and other out of the way places. What is the point of spray painting historic sites... I mean, tagging Seven Oaks House is just garbage. But people who do this obviously don't respect their surroundings

How disrespectful.
Paint can spray today, Bear spray tomorrow?
So repugnant, imagine what a tourist would think, never mind a Manitoban seeing this? A new comer to Canada thinks? We are in a dark era of life these days. Always negative news.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
How disrespectful.
Paint can spray today, Bear spray tomorrow?
So repugnant, imagine what a tourist would think, never mind a Manitoban seeing this? A new comer to Canada thinks? We are in a dark era of life these days. Always negative news.
Graffiti, and trash everywhere. And debris from car crashes. And dog waste, because everyone here apparently believes you don't have to scoop in the winter.

It doesn't help that the city doesn't seem to empty garbage cans as fast as they get filled, so they overflow and the trash is scattered everywhere.

Our city makes a pretty terrible first impression.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Graffiti, and trash everywhere. And debris from car crashes. And dog waste, because everyone here apparently believes you don't have to scoop in the winter.

It doesn't help that the city doesn't seem to empty garbage cans as fast as they get filled, so they overflow and the trash is scattered everywhere.

Our city makes a pretty terrible first impression.
When I work evenings I see city crews doing their garbage cans with a side load truck around 11pm at least on Portage Ave and Main St.

I think (but I may be wrong) that the residential city cans are cleared weekly by the contractors doing the residential pickups.

The silver garbage cans downtown (and in other parts of the city) are owned and serviced by Benchmark Advertising. I don't know that their pickup schedule is but I have seen their garbage truck driving around too.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 1:17 AM

From FreePress, Exchange District loss, Portage Ave gain.

The Birks Building downtown will soon be home to $17 haircuts, a café, a yoga studio and a rooftop patio, if Aveda Institute Winnipeg’s plans transpire

There will be 52 salon chairs, decorative plants and a plethora of hair-care products using the space

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
From FreePress, Exchange District loss, Portage Ave gain.

The Birks Building downtown will soon be home to $17 haircuts, a café, a yoga studio and a rooftop patio, if Aveda Institute Winnipeg’s plans transpire

There will be 52 salon chairs, decorative plants and a plethora of hair-care products using the space
Nice, WAY better than a rock store selling bullshit for huge amounts of money. Jewelry is such a scam. People like what they like though of course, but this forthcoming concept is way more appealing to me.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Nice, WAY better than a rock store selling bullshit for huge amounts of money. Jewelry is such a scam. People like what they like though of course, but this forthcoming concept is way more appealing to me.
Also a much better target market for where downtown is going. Birks is lunchtime shopping for businesspeople. Aveda Institute is going to be a draw for people who live downtown.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 3:20 AM

Exactly, real amenities increasing downtown is a major positive step in the area gaining life and momentum beyond the working hours

Side note to that, Aveda Institute also just opened up in the former Commissionaires building on Burnell St, right down the block from where the new building is going up at 258. At least I’m pretty sure that’s them, will have to double glance the sign next time I go by for pics.

Edit : Nope I’m wrong, Google shows “Eternal Beauty Institute MB”, derp

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 4:17 AM

NIMBYS at it again. The culprit this time is the new Northgate redevelopment proposal.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/appeal-c...ment-1.6359590

There are too many idiots in the city. I truly believe we should start teaching the basics of urbanism/good city form in primary school so I don’t have to lose brain cells reading these ridiculous complaints anymore.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Also a much better target market for where downtown is going. Birks is lunchtime shopping for businesspeople. Aveda Institute is going to be a draw for people who live downtown.
This is the old Birks building on Portage they are referring to, where the former Land Titles office was. Not the recently closed Birks at Lombard @ Main.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 1:31 PM

I saw the Free Press article regarding the Birks Building and they mean the old Birks Building on Portage, not the recently-closed Birks location as I had first assumed.

Personally I think that's great, it has been ages since a decent looking storefront opened up on Portage between Main and Memorial. Any signs of life are welcome at this point. The previous location on Rorie was a nice looking place, it projected a certain trendiness that is in short supply on Portage. Good news.

Are they taking up the whole building? It's fairly substantial. Or will there still be offices on the upper floors? It's definitely one of the more interesting buildings downtown.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 1:35 PM

^^^ article says they will have one floor for lease once they've taken up the space they need.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 1:37 PM

^ Thanks, I missed that. That's a fair bit of space that Aveda is taking up then, considering it's a 4 storey building.

On a related note, I would love to see the first floor of that building get renovated to be consistent with the rest of the structure. It drives me nuts that it is such a bad mismatch.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity View Post
This is the old Birks building on Portage they are referring to, where the former Land Titles office was. Not the recently closed Birks at Lombard @ Main.
Thanks for clarifying!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 2:25 PM

Having 52 salon chairs definitely seems to be on the extremely optimistic side. That would be around 8,000 clients a month coming there for services by my estimate and those are 8,000 people getting those some services elsewhere. There are other salons already in downtown and this could end up forcing some of them out of business.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Having 52 salon chairs definitely seems to be on the extremely optimistic side. That would be around 8,000 clients a month coming there for services by my estimate and those are 8,000 people getting those some services elsewhere. There are other salons already in downtown and this could end up forcing some of them out of business.
I would imagine that they make their real money on tuition fees, etc. from students? The hairdresser I go to went through the Aveda Institute and I gather that there is some cachet in terms of being able to say you were trained there as opposed to being an apprentice at One-Eyed Steve's Barber School or whatever.

If they take in the students they need to have room for them... problem solved. And I wouldn't be surprised if the increased prominence of this location drew more traffic than the somewhat out of the way spot on Rorie.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 2:48 PM

Off topic but a sizeable multi family project is being pitched to the Assiniboia Community meeting next week, set on the empty lot south of Costco McGillivray, west of that large church.

https://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/Vie...onId=&InitUrl=

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Ah the free market at work

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Off topic but a sizeable multi family project is being pitched to the Assiniboia Community meeting next week, set on the empty lot south of Costco McGillivray, west of that large church.

https://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/Vie...onId=&InitUrl=
Woah I was always hoping that some residential would go in that lot but this is a much bigger scale then I expected.

Although I will say it’s not a terrible place to put housing. Right next to a massive commercial hub with a bunch of restaurants and at the edge of the city there is ample green space. It’s like a 5 minute walk from Fort Whyte Alive. There’s even a few bike lanes. Just gotta get past the NIMBYs because I’m sure the ones at Whyte Ridge will have something to say.

Could this mean that this is the start of Kenaston/McGillivray densification? Cause this area can fit in a bunch of housing. If talks are ongoing about expanding Kenaston then simply making the street a mixed use hub with rapid transit as an alternative to road widening should be in the conversation so we can get more developments like this.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Woah I was always hoping that some residential would go in that lot but this is a much bigger scale then I expected.

Although I will say it’s not a terrible place to put housing. Right next to a massive commercial hub with a bunch of restaurants and at the edge of the city there is ample green space. It’s like a 5 minute walk from Fort Whyte Alive. There’s even a few bike lanes. Just gotta get past the NIMBYs because I’m sure the ones at Whyte Ridge will have something to say.

Could this mean that this is the start of Kenaston/McGillivray densification? Cause this area can fit in a bunch of housing. If talks are ongoing about expanding Kenaston then simply making the street a mixed use hub with rapid transit as an alternative to road widening should be in the conversation so we can get more developments like this.
The housing is going to happen around there either way... getting some density into the mix, especially around the major roads, only makes sense. It's a pretty in-demand area and it would be nice to open it up to a broader cross section of society than just SFH owners.

Improved transit/AT would be good, but at the end of the day McGillivray SW of Kenaston needs to be improved too. It's basically an urban arterial right out to Oak Bluff at this point, but it's still built as a 2-lane rural highway once you pass Costco.

Also, the Kenaston/McGillivray intersection is badly choked and needs some improvement. Even if it can't be turned into an interchange, it would be nice to see some engineering tweaks to that and other intersections around there to move traffic through a little more efficiently.

The proposed design is not great but really no surprise there. I wasn't expecting a gem, just something functional.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 3:17 PM
What could go wrong?

There is some movement again on the Westport Costco (IcePlex).
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan