HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 12:14 AM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
While I think it would be incredible for SLC, I think it is the pipiest of pipe dreams.

Lot's of metros will be vying for this one. I see Austin as a top choice for sure.
I agree it's a pipe dream, but SLC and 400 S Main fit the criteria in the RFP so perfectly this is an opportunity for the ages. If they can make a good case for it, which I believe they can, I think we could win out. It's a longshot, yes. And Salt Lake doesn't seem so sexy compared to all these other cities, but I think it can be if it gets some serious consideration, and people open their eyes to see what this city has to offer.

SELL IT

I can see the headlines now:

"Amazon has made its decision. You will never guess where its new headquarters will be."

"Amazon's new headquarters to be in...Salt Lake City?"

"Amazon...in Utah? Why Amazon chose Salt Lake City for its new headquarters."

And your Slate or Buzzfeed articles:
"WTF is Amazon doing building a new headquarters in Salt Lake City, Utah?"

The headlines would be so annoying I would roll my eyes to oblivion, but considering SLC gets article headlines like this all the time, I figure this would really blow peoples' minds.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 12:43 AM
Engineer

We're screwed. A guy on twitter tweeted at Spencer Cox that the Draper prison site would be a perfect place for HQ2. Spencer Cox responded, "You read my mind."

Draper does not fit the criteria well at all. It won't work for Amazon's preferred timeline. They would have to wait years for that site to even become available. Infrastructure is not in place. If they go with the prison site, it will be a horrible move and I will be disappointed. Don't even get me started on transit access and access to metro center. Yeah there is a Frontrunner stop 1.5 miles away, I'll give them that...oh wait.

Why would you even consider the Draper prison when there is a site in DT SLC that is exactly like they're asking for? There is a 0 percent chance Amazon goes to Draper.

I've posted too much today.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 1:50 AM

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 2:09 AM
Ironweed

Spencer is a nice guy, but is shy of a full deck. Draper is a terrible choice. SLC needs to aggressively court Amazon. Having two fortune 500 companies downtown would truly have a galvanizing effect, and prove to be THE turning point for the city. To stress how important something like this is for downtown is an understatement. Like many of you, I'm highly skeptical. Not because SLC wouldn't fit the bill, but because the city has had a poor history of bringing business downtown. We miss this, and the city will continue stumble along. By the way, any idea of when an announcement would take place?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironweed View Post
spencer is a nice guy, but is shy of a full deck. Draper is a terrible choice. Slc needs to aggressively court amazon. Having two fortune 500 companies downtown would truly have a galvanizing effect, and prove to be the turning point for the city. To stress how important something like this is for downtown is an understatement. Like many of you, i'm highly skeptical. Not because slc wouldn't fit the bill, but because the city has had a poor history of bringing business downtown. We miss this, and the city will continue stumble along. By the way, any idea of when an announcement would take place?
iirc early 2018

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 2:31 AM

I was reading in an article stating the the city of Seattle "soured" in regards to Amazon. Any ideas why?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 3:56 AM

Just my opinion but I really don't think Amazon can't decide where to build its next HQ. They know where they want to build. They just want to squeeze the best deal possible.

I hope they are squeezing Salt Lake!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
Spencer is a nice guy, but is shy of a full deck. Draper is a terrible choice. SLC needs to aggressively court Amazon. Having two fortune 500 companies downtown would truly have a galvanizing effect, and prove to be THE turning point for the city. To stress how important something like this is for downtown is an understatement. Like many of you, I'm highly skeptical. Not because SLC wouldn't fit the bill, but because the city has had a poor history of bringing business downtown. We miss this, and the city will continue stumble along. By the way, any idea of when an announcement would take place?
2 Fortune 500 companies? SLC doesn't have any Fortune 500 companies right now, right?

Also, wouldn't Seattle would still be the only city to be able to lay claim to the F500 company?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 4:41 AM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
2 Fortune 500 companies? SLC doesn't have any Fortune 500 companies right now, right?

Also, wouldn't Seattle would still be the only city to be able to lay claim to the F500 company?
Huntsman is a fortune 500 company.

Also, Utah_Dave, I wouldn't be surprised if that's partly true, but I'm sure they have multiple cities in mind.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
Huntsman is a fortune 500 company.

Also, Utah_Dave, I wouldn't be surprised if that's partly true, but I'm sure they have multiple cities in mind.
Ah. Right. Huntsman.

Unfortunately, any fortune 500 list includes Huntsman in Houston (The Woodlands) as that is where it corporate headquarters are.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
I agree, I think this is game time. We should reach out to city and state leaders in any way we can.

There is no way Amazon would go for a Draper location it does not fit any of their requirements. The state and city need to put their weight behind the 400 south location or one like it. This would be a game changer for SLC and I think we fit what they are looking for better than any other city if we use that location.

California and New York are not business friendly enough, I can't think of a southern or Texas city that has the access to transit and proximity to both the CBD and airport they are looking for. Maybe Atlanta? I am not very familiar with that city.
Chicago and Denver are both possibilities but their airports are far from the CBD. Both of these cities would fit the bill but not as well as Salt Lake City.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 5:54 AM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
I was reading in an article stating the the city of Seattle "soured" in regards to Amazon. Any ideas why?
The city hasn't soured in a broad sense. But they get a lot of flak for making the city prosperous and fairly expensive. Transportation hasn't caught up though the vast majority of Amazon HQ workers ride transit or walk even now. Seattle charges millions in fees for every new building, literally the opposite of the tax rebates etc. other cities would give them.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 6:32 AM

Does anyone know why SLC didn't extend the 3rd South low stress bike lanes past 5th East? I know they opted for the higher stress nonprotected lanes, but was it because of money or citizen blowback or something else? This really was disappointing to see. I think things like low stress bike lanes are more important to the development of the city than almost anything else. Very underrated and underappreciated.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 7:39 AM

This is fantastic news, but I have my doubts that it will pass. There's a lot of pushback from NIMBYs in the Avenues and the East Bench.

I'm also worried about the 1 parking stall per ADU ordnance, which seems to defeat the purpose of having ADU's in the first place. The reality is, the people who are looking for this affordable housing are less likely to have cars and so it feels unnecessary. I also disagree with only approving 25 per year. That doesn't seem like it would significantly impact affordable housing rates. Perhaps if it passes and is successful, they will raise that limit drastically after a couple of years.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
I agree, I think this is game time. We should reach out to city and state leaders in any way we can.
If anyone else were mayor, I’d feel more confident about the city making a decent pitch.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 9:01 AM
They all float down here

Utah's government is suburban-centric. It's why the prison move was pushed. Get it out of Draper to open that land to developers. I'm glad the Jazz renovated the Viv, even though I wish they would've done more, because had the Jazz pushed for a new arena, I'm certain the legislature would've pushed for it to be developed on that prison site. Remember, it was the Utah Legislature that stepped in and changed the rules that allowed RDA funds to be used for stadium and sporting facilities, which all but eliminated Salt Lake from consideration for RSL's stadium years ago. When Sandy bid, and they found out they needed the funds to support the stadium, the legislature removed the prohibiting legislation and used funds to build the stadium.

Salt Lake just doesn't have the political clout because the delegation is typically Democratic and the government is run by Republicans. It sucks but look at all the influential politicians in both chambers, and the governor's office, and you'll see they're either from Utah County or the south-end of the valley.

People like Cox, who, I agree, seems like a very nice guy and actually a decent human being, which is rare for any state politician here, is also not very well versed on why it might be important to have a thriving city center. And why would he? He was born in Mount Pleasant, went to North Sanpete High School and then Snow College before going to Washington and Lee University School of Law in Lexington, Virginia, which is a small town in a very rural Appalachian area of the state.

But it's ludicrous to suggest something like that should be built out in Draper. But it's the mindset that, sadly, inflicts most our government. It's just fortunate that, in some instances, the suburban cities are incompetent in their planning compared to Salt Lake, so, the city kinda wins by default, which is kinda how they landed the broadway theater after Sandy overshot their planning, which included three forty-story towers with the theater, and had the whole project fizzle out (reminds of me of the whole Lehi project from years ago and I promise you, the same will happen with Draper).

But it's still risky when you've got people like Cox and Greg Hughes, who represents that area, in powerful positions.

We'll see, tho.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 11:17 AM

This was on the MSN.com page this morning. I thought you guys might enjoy viewing it.

Iconic American Structures we can't believe were torn down
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/reale...z&ocid=U453DHP

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 12:21 PM

I agree Comrade

"Salt Lake just doesn't have the political clout because the delegation is typically Democratic and the government is run by Republicans. It sucks but look at all the influential politicians in both chambers, and the governor's office, and you'll see they're either from Utah County or the south-end of the valley."

I've always wondered how the liberal city and conservative state dynamics played out in crucial decision making for the city. Salt Lake City and the state aren't on the same page in general it seems and you would have to think that politic is the driving factor in this divide. You would think the Governor would have tried a little harder at keeping the OR if the city and state were more Buddy Buddy.

I really would like to see Salt Lakes proposal to Amazon also. Will the proposal to Amazon be accessible to the public? I'm really curious to see what we can put together when an opportunity like this comes about.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 3:39 PM

I can't believe I'm agreeing with you comrade! You hit all the points why Salt Lake City lacks the political clout to land Amazon. The mayor is terrible at development, the state gov does not like her and most of salt lakes politicians. I worry a lot that Greg (stick up my butt) Hugh's will screw with all of this.

This is a project that the chamber of commerce and the LDS church really makes this happen on 400s. If anybody can kick Hughs to the curb it's them. Cox is also resonable and can see pros and cons, I suggest reaching out to him and tell him how bad Draper is for this.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 3:48 PM

Posted in Provo thread, but this site has Provo as a good choice for Amazon. Guess they better go with CSA numbers instead of MSA.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/her...ers-2017-09-07

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West