HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 5:32 PM

Let's keep KOP Rail discussion in the Metro thread, please.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 5:49 PM
Show me the blueprints

Are those deleted posts gonna get moved? cuz.....

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Are those deleted posts gonna get moved? cuz.....
They're all now in the Metro thread.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 6:51 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Let's keep KOP Rail discussion in the Metro thread, please.
Would the Transportation thread be an even better fit? It will give it some more life and as the SRPRA and Amtrak discussions progress it will already be in the right place.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 6:54 PM
Show me the blueprints

It's already in the Phila Transportation thread. Not sure why its being put in Metro thread...

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 7:17 PM

Quote:
It's already in the Phila Transportation thread. Not sure why its being put in Metro thread...
Because no one uses the transpiration thread since it’s in a separate page from all the other threads. No idea why that’s the case. I suspect it’s a feature of SSP that isn’t fixable, but if it is, it’d be great if we could fix it.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
Because no one uses the transpiration thread since it’s in a separate page from all the other threads. No idea why that’s the case. I suspect it’s a feature of SSP that isn’t fixable, but if it is, it’d be great if we could fix it.
Mods pls

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Mods pls
Nothing we can do about it. It’s in the site admin’s hands.

The project had major implications for the metro area of Philadelphia. I see no reason it shouldn’t be discussed in that thread. However, it definitely had nothing to with Lowrise development in Philadelphia.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 8:44 PM
Show me the blueprints

I'm not sure why the Philly transportation thread being in the Transportation sub-forum would lead to people forgetting about it or not using it. Come on now.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
It’s absolutely true that nobody is speaking up in favor of it in fear of pissing off Chinatown - and China (the CCP/Xi, really) more broadly speaking. [...] And the deference given to Chinatown over other minority-majority areas is very much influenced by China’s rising global power (Xi’s ambition), and it shouldn’t be.
In a forum full of insane takes, this might take the cake. Do you honestly really think Chinatown is connected to the CCP? And you think the government of a foreign power gives a shit about a stadium in Philadelphia? Not everything is a global conspiracy. I'd like an actual poll done, but from the many people I've talked to from different social circles, the stadium is not as broadly popular, even outside of Chinatown residents, as it is on here.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
In a forum full of insane takes, this might take the cake. Do you honestly really think Chinatown is connected to the CCP? And you think the government of a foreign power gives a shit about a stadium in Philadelphia? Not everything is a global conspiracy. I'd like an actual poll done, but from the many people I've talked to from different social circles, the stadium is not as broadly popular, even outside of Chinatown residents, as it is on here.
Yeah that take is more than a bit sensationalized. I don’t think anyone that’s honestly objecting to the arena out of an, in my option misguided, fear that the arena will destroy Chinatown is even thinking of the Chinese government. They’re two different things to me and I think most people as well. Just because someone is Chinese doesn’t mean they support Xi or the CCP. As to the support issue, idk in my own life most people I know in the city are for it. I have a coworker or two that are opposed but by and large my friends are supportive of the proposal, or at least not opposed.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 9:33 PM

Philadelphians hate change and most of what I hear is just "why not in south Philly by the other stadiums, I like that setup"
Obviously that's not going to make the Sixers owners the money they want, but a lot of people genuinely like them removed from the city

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 9:49 PM

Reasonable people can agree that Market East is a bit of a shithole and the current retail set up there is not working.

Is there another entity that you can think of that will pump in literally unlimited money into the area to make sure it's successful? If the Arena moves forward the Sixers will do everything possible to make sure the area is a success that people from all over the region want to visit and spend $$$ in.

The alternative is the continued decline of the area. If people think there is another way to make the area better I'm all ears.

Also nobody is talking about how Chinatown is now really just a business district. Very few people actually live there. Most recent Chinese immigrants as well as Chinese American investment money is going to places like Mayfair not Chinatown.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 3:10 AM

All I know is, the Saturday we came into town for the Flower Show parking was a beast, that I'll admit. Some garages were maxed out, but we managed. However, not only was RTM shoulder to shoulder but I saw a great deal of folks who appeared to be Flower Show patrons walking around Chinatown and even standing in line to get into a few different Chinatown eateries.

The PHS organizers claim about 300,000 total Flower Show visitors over the 9 day event. Obviously the weekends are heavily attended but let's say you spread that crowd out evenly over the 9 days. That's over 30K per day which far exceeds a Sixers sellout crowd.

Why would the Chinatown business owners not want this to happen more often? I'm trying to be sensitive but I truly don't understand what I'm missing regarding their gripe.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 5:58 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdawk View Post
All I know is, the Saturday we came into town for the Flower Show parking was a beast, that I'll admit. Some garages were maxed out, but we managed. However, not only was RTM shoulder to shoulder but I saw a great deal of folks who appeared to be Flower Show patrons walking around Chinatown and even standing in line to get into a few different Chinatown eateries.

The PHS organizers claim about 300,000 total Flower Show visitors over the 9 day event. Obviously the weekends are heavily attended but let's say you spread that crowd out evenly over the 9 days. That's over 30K per day which far exceeds a Sixers sellout crowd.

Why would the Chinatown business owners not want this to happen more often? I'm trying to be sensitive but I truly don't understand what I'm missing regarding their gripe.
Do you expect people to think with common sense? Why would we want the Center City entertainment district to be overflowing with visitors, and residents of Philadelphia?

As we all know good areas are lifeless, economically depressed, and abandoned.

Imagine the Subway, being used to its full potential on Market St making money, money that goes to improvements, and expansions.

Imagine restaurants, and bars making money with a full house.

Imagine more night life and businesses that stay open pass 12 because there is actually enough traffic to push for that.

Imagine development pushing new towers, and housing for the city bringing in more people, and money in.

Just imagine what we can do when we do it.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
The point was not supposed to be Xi/CCP really, forget all that, that’s irrelevant. I do think it’s worth asking why Chinatown is given such deference and no other minority-majority community is. Let’s say this - do you think it would be right for white people to set up an outpost in the suburbs and say other people can’t come there? No, that absolutely wouldn’t be acceptable, which is why I’m in favor of upzoning the suburbs. No, truly I think the government shouldn’t recognize any type of racial district anywhere. Everyone has a right to exist in space wherever they so happen to be. We absolutely shouldn’t make it a policy that only people of a certain race can live in a certain area, and only those people should be given a say as to what happens there. No other minority-majority area is asking for or expects the kind of deference given to Chinatown. We absolutely should not institutionalize racial areas, that’s insane. If the market makes an area dominated by one race, fine, but the government should have nothing to do with that. I love Chinatown, but the government shouldn’t force Chinatown to exist at all, yet alone in a specific place. No race or (insert whatever group here) should have a “forever claim” to a huge area in our City. I truly mean it when I say this isn’t a racial thing - that’s actually entirely the point of what I’m trying to say. And ironically the CCP would agree with a lot of that. The US is, always has been, and always should be a secular society. And that means allowing development to happen with the government being entirely indifferent to the race/religion/gender/whatever of people. Basically, my point is that the entire premise of “PCDC” is flawed, and the organization shouldn’t exist as it does with the goal of only representing people of Chinese descent in the center of Philadelphia. It can exist, the government just shouldn’t sponsor anything like that. Does everyone within that RCO area have an equal voice, or only those given one by PCDC? I very serious reservations as to the ethics of having a government-sponsored place-based ethnic organizations. It should just be like… the Franklin square neighbors group or something else non-exclusive. The entire concept of “China”town” being a static place is inherently exclusive. Just my opinion, I don’t feel the need to argue further about it and clog up the thread, is what it is. Hope to see more development lol.

Last edited by Urbanthusiat; Mar 19, 2023 at 8:32 AM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 5:59 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Just throwing that out there.
Quote:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
When this was created did they account for the city having 500+ shootings deaths a year?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
When this was created did they account for the city having 500+ shootings deaths a year?
I think if you're trying to alter the terms of fundamental American rights in the hopes of preventing gun violence I'd probably start with the second amendment as opposed to the 4th.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
I think if you're trying to alter the terms of fundamental American rights in the hopes of preventing gun violence I'd probably start with the second amendment as opposed to the 4th.
I don't see how disarming the good guys is going to stop violence against them from the bad guys who will get guns whether they are illegal or not.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 2:47 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure why the Philly transportation thread being in the Transportation sub-forum would lead to people forgetting about it or not using it. Come on now.
Ha ha yeah people have no issue cross-posting in five different threads and stroking each other in every one but the ONE thread dedicated to specifically Transportation is just too out of the way

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development