HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 5:25 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaguy View Post
it looks fine
We have way too many buildings in San Francisco that "look fine" at best by selling ourselves short far too often.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 3:47 PM

1028 Market Street Proposal

I did not like the original proposal as it had a black finish. I think we have enough dark buildings in San Francisco. But I did like the arches in that plan.

The current proposal is a dull presence on the block. The first thing I think of when I look at the image is chain hotel, then hospital. At least the previous proposal popped out. The developer's web site says it was "inspired by the fabric of the neighborhood" - what city are they referring to? Here is a link for more information on the proposal: http://www.1028market.com/

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 5:03 PM
Only Mostly Dead

^Yes, chain hotel sums it up nicely. Or even cookie-cutter office slab. It's so awfully generic, it doesn't even stand out as residential or office. The only renders on the project site are in the soft glow of dusk. It's like they're trying to hide what it actually looks like as best they can. Also notice this is by SCB. I expect better from them. Maybe they do too since they don't acknowledge it on their site.

OK, I'll let it go now. But man, what a shame to have this in such a prominent location.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 7:13 PM

Yes, the new design for 1028 Market does looks generic, but I don't think it looks that ugly. I don't really like the previous design either. It was trendy and more current, but it wasn't done tastefully.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
It's not all doom and gloom though. There's a new hotel proposed for the northern flank of the FiDi. From Hoodline:
At about 200 feet high, I don't think we'll be able to see much of this just behind the 220 foot tall (1944) Bureau of Citizenship & Immigration Building from Telegraph Hill .

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post
Yes, the new design for 1028 Market does looks generic, but I don't think it looks that ugly. I don't really like the previous design either. It was trendy and more current, but it wasn't done tastefully.
Agreed. The new design looks fine to me. Nothing special, but certainly not ugly. While I like some of the details on the old design, like the arches and angled windows, I actually find the old design to be kind of ugly overall, as I'm not a big fan of buildings with more mass at the top than at the bottom.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 9:41 PM

150 Van Ness Avenue Demolition.

12/04/2015 - View of demolition today from the 14th floor of the Essex Fox Plaza. The building in the background, now seen for the first time from this vantage point, is the former Commerce School, now administrative offices & theater. The Spanish style building on the left was recently restored & is now a school. You can see a video of the demolition on YouTube here, courtesy of a neighbor: https://youtu.be/NnuUENN8ugs

150 Van Ness Demolition

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 2:15 AM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
Agreed. The new design looks fine to me. Nothing special, but certainly not ugly. While I like some of the details on the old design, like the arches and angled windows, I actually find the old design to be kind of ugly overall, as I'm not a big fan of buildings with more mass at the top than at the bottom.
I agree. Not to mention that glass almost never looks as good as renderings depict. The new design is perfectly fine.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 6:56 AM
heavy user of walkability

few random things from today...

the Splunk building on Brannan has been uncovered:

here is the large project at 8th and Harrison, as seen from near 9th, looking east

Market St Place:

another large project, between 7th and 8th on Brannan. looking east from 8th:

... and its sister project on Henry Adams:

Last edited by timbad; Dec 6, 2015 at 7:04 AM. Reason: added last two pics

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 12:12 AM

181 Fremont

Though I didn't snap a photo, they're now working on the steel frame for the 12th floor at 181 Fremont. Great to see it now well above ground.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 4:46 AM
dazzle me

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
another large project, between 7th and 8th on Brannan. looking east from 8th:

RIP concourse exhibition center. i've been to many an event there. deco fair, green buildings conference, a couple fashion shows, helped my friend cater there (in a server's bow tie!) more than once, saw journey, wine tasted half a dozen times, the recent christmas and makers fairs, and lots of other stuff over the years. i actually remember a single day that i went from the concourse exhibition center straight to marlena's on hayes to meet up for drinks, and ended up at the red devil lounge for a friend's show. and this was probably only like 5 years ago! if grubstake goes down (as it looks like it will), that entire afternoon/night/early morning of my life will basically be relegated to testimony. ah well.

in other news, real estate speak has now settled on "the hub" for the area around market and van ness. could be worse (mar-van) but could be better (city could get creative and name it "graham" or something as the point between the old filmore east and the civic auditorium, or even some vague tech-ish version of "fi-di", maybe "wi-di" hehe). https://www.bisnow.com/san-francisco...ing-boom-53038

(to the author of that article: that saitowitz building on svn has been done for a year, and there are half a dozen other projects you could have mentioned instead.)

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 5:32 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
RIP concourse exhibition center. i've been to many an event there. deco fair, green buildings conference, a couple fashion shows, helped my friend cater there (in a server's bow tie!) more than once, saw journey, wine tasted half a dozen times, the recent christmas and makers fairs, and lots of other stuff over the years. i actually remember a single day that i went from the concourse exhibition center straight to marlena's on hayes to meet up for drinks, and ended up at the red devil lounge for a friend's show. and this was probably only like 5 years ago! if grubstake goes down (as it looks like it will), that entire afternoon/night/early morning of my life will basically be relegated to testimony. ah well.
I have only two distinctive memories of the old Concourse, but both were epic.

The first was a rave in 1992 called "Gathering of the Tribes." I took a hit of white blotter acid, but it took so long to kick in I thought I'd take another. Whooboy, what a stupid decision. Some gangbangers pushed me down a short flight of stairs, under which I spent some time hiding, and when I eventually tried to walk home to Geary and Taylor I just couldn't seem to make it. At one point I was walking down the middle of Sixth Street. On the upside, I had been raving all night so I think I smelled bad enough to keep the criminals at bay.

The second was a concert by My Bloody Valentine, at the time widely proclaimed to be the 'loudest band in the world.' We show up at the door and they aren't taking tickets--they are handing out earplugs. During their epic "holocaust" blast in the middle of You Made Me Realize (which Wiki says reaches 130 dB), I could feel isolated bands of vibrations moving up and down my body. It was positively surreal. They played the Concourse because it was the only venue without a decibel cap. People claimed they could hear the sound as far out as Precita Park.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 5:41 AM
dazzle me

^ precita park! great!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 6:22 AM
heavy user of walkability

from yesterday's gray wander...

not sure why I always forget the name of Daggett Place these days, but some of its scaffolding at Seventh and 16th Streets has come down... here is the north side. note the PDR section at street level

the west end

closer look at skin

the 16th St view showing the gap where the greenspace will be

the side of the main building that faces the greenspace

walking west down 16th, remember this one on Potrero?

not too far from the far western end of 16th, here is the project on Sanchez and Market

walking back down Market with a quick detour north, much of the scaffolding has come down at 55 Laguna. this is the western/uphill/Buchanan side

a restored original section at the NW corner

NE corner (Haight and Laguna)

the buildings along the main staircase through the middle, from Laguna

a couple blocks over in Hayes Valley, 450 Hayes is still just a shrouded wall for now

Gough and Grove

the sidewalks being put in in Hayes Valley are wide, with greenery, pleasant.

Fulton and Gough

two other projects in Hayes Valley were not particularly photo-worthy: Fulton and Laguna was wrapped in plastic as if for fumigation, and Hayes and Laguna just barely had concrete-rebar trunks sprouting above street level

and the SE gateway into Hayes Valley, Page and Franklin, as seen from two angles on Market

Last edited by timbad; Dec 8, 2015 at 6:47 AM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 6:26 AM

"The hub" is actually what the neighborhood was referred to at least into the mid-20th century. I've seen screenshots from old phone books where all the local businesses are "the hub this" and "the hub that".

I assume it is a reference to a hub and spokes wheel. the neighborhood is right where a number of other neighborhoods (and previously rail lines I believe) come together to meet: civic center, soma, hayes valley, lower haight, mission, upper market, etc.

http://www.thegreenarcade.com/assets...k__02_4PDF.pdf for some more background

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 7:40 AM

timbad - lots of great pictures. And yes, I remember the high rise going up on Potrero St. I have not see it before your post. It will be the most unique housing in San Francisco to be finished in 2016.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 7:41 AM
dazzle me

wow, that's great! i'm happy to retract my scorn and depression.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 6:19 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Does anyone have a rendering of the project at Page and Franklin?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 7:44 PM
dazzle me

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Does anyone have a rendering of the project at Page and Franklin?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations