HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Probably too small to redevelop on its own, unless this is the first in a series of assemblages. The Warehouse District may still be safe for now.
Wasn't there reporting a few years back on an assemblage on the other side of the street? They either did a CVC analysis or a heritage tree survey or similar? I'm forgetting which, but remember it was centered on Cedar Street, but . . . can't remember if it included either Trulucks or Halcyon.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Wasn't there reporting a few years back on an assemblage on the other side of the street? They either did a CVC analysis or a heritage tree survey or similar? I'm forgetting which, but remember it was centered on Cedar Street, but . . . can't remember if it included either Trulucks or Halcyon.
Not exactly. The confusion came due to the tree survey paperwork (or whatever) apparently having the wrong address on it.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
I totally forgot about that place since the pandemic lol. As someone who frequents the gay bars, Sellers and the bars before it in space it occupied have always struggled. It's just not a very good place for a bar (no patio, bad layout).
For what it's worth, prior to the pandemic, Sellers seemed to be fairly busy whenever I walked by it. It may have been doing well, but just couldn't survive the pandemic.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
Not exactly. The confusion came due to the tree survey paperwork (or whatever) apparently having the wrong address on it.
Ah, interesting. Must have missed the paperwork prob.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 5:56 PM

I agree that I hope this building is saved. It's a great location being situated between Rain and Oilcan Harry's in terms of foot traffic, but it needs something more to stand out. I feel like if they were to change it up to a niche like a gay country bar or just something unique in Austin, it would have a much better chance of success. It may be trying too hard to be like its neighbors but without the space and patio to do so. Either way, I hope it is preserved and is something that can enhance Austin's gay district.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 2:04 PM

It’s Not Looking Good for the Hotel Atop a Historic Building at 15th and Lavaca

https://austin.towers.net/its-not-lo...th-and-lavaca/

The recent purchase of a historic building at the southeast corner of West 15th and Lavaca Streets in downtown Austin by the State Bar of Texas likely indicates the demise of a previously planned hotel tower project at this location

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
It’s Not Looking Good for the Hotel Atop a Historic Building at 15th and Lavaca

https://austin.towers.net/its-not-lo...th-and-lavaca/

The recent purchase of a historic building at the southeast corner of West 15th and Lavaca Streets in downtown Austin by the State Bar of Texas likely indicates the demise of a previously planned hotel tower project at this location
When I read the headline, I was hoping it was because they planned on building something there themselves. The hotel wasn't spectacular but it was a better use for that lot... turns out they're just NIMBYs who will likely keep as-is....

From the article:

"The State Bar of Texas, which currently operates out of the office directly next door to the east at 1414 Colorado Street, purchased the property last month for a reported $3.25 million, thanks to funds from its reserves authorized for use by the Supreme Court of Texas earlier this year, with plans to occupy the building as overflow office and meeting space — but the organization’s motive might also involve its stated opposition to the project as a design they didn’t want to see going up next door:

Trey Apffel, executive director of the State Bar of Texas, spoke out against the tower project at the Feb. 24 meeting. The organization’s headquarters is next door to the historic building on Lavaca Street.

“As the next door neighbor to this property, we have a sincere interest in maintaining the historical integrity of the building,” he said. “We do not feel like a 12-story hotel built on top of that building does that or accomplishes that objective.”

Apffel said the State Bar did attempt to buy the building, but its offer wasn’t accepted.

— Austin Business Journal, Feb. 26, 2020"

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 4:05 PM

It's funny what this city considers "historic" compared to most other cities. Really, what is the historic value of this unremarkable painted brick building with over-scaled faux cupolas that have always been ugly? And yet we'll happily tear down most of the buildings in the warehouse district without batting an eye.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
It's funny what this city considers "historic" compared to most other cities. Really, what is the historic value of this unremarkable painted brick building with over-scaled faux cupolas that have always been ugly? And yet we'll happily tear down most of the buildings in the warehouse district without batting an eye.
Yeah, not even being a b*tch.....I always thought it was some sort of mid-80's low-rise meant to look olden.

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Capital view corridor height determination for 811 and 901 Trinity Street.
https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...rtyrsn=3286201
https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...ertyrsn=272696

-

A site plan was filed Tuesday for a project called "Rainey Tower". The address is listed as 78 Rainey Street, and it's for the lots 78-84 Rainey.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...rtyrsn=5752886

You'll remember, this is what was originally planned there, but we had written it off as dead - or possibly scaled down. I think I read 4 floors? "Rainey Tower" sounds taller than 4 floors, though.

I think the "Rainey Tower" is is going to be a major project - it's by Lincoln Ventures who is building 30-story buildings in WC. The original project (pictured) was by Sackman (70 Rainey).

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I think the "Rainey Tower" is is going to be a major project - it's by Lincoln Ventures who is building 30-story buildings in WC. The original project (pictured) was by Sackman (70 Rainey).
Agreed. With the current climate, there is no way in hell that something akin to the original project will be built. I wouldn't even be surprised if they attempted to buy out the bar to the south and squeeze two towers into this spot.

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
Agreed. With the current climate, there is no way in hell that something akin to the original project will be built. I wouldn't even be surprised if they attempted to buy out the bar to the south and squeeze two towers into this spot.
Triple agreed. This is a quaint artifact from 2018.

I'm actually amazed at what's taking shape in Rainey right now -- not just from the size of stuff, but from the mixed usages. It's not all purely residential, though a good deal of it is. When you start to loop in the supertall and 80 Red River, not only will we get more hospitality but we'll get some office components, too. To me, that's what's going to constitute the successful Urban District Of The Future -- lots more opportunity for live work, and more mixing of purposes.

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 9:28 PM

827 W 12th

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 3:02 AM
Meh

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ive-hours.html
Austin condo development sells out in 5 hours
Hundreds of would-be buyers turned away with hope to grab units in second phase

By Michelle Pitcher – Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal
May 26, 2021 Updated May 26, 2021, 12:10pm CDT

A South Austin condominium development held a sales launch event last week and sold out in what developer and investor Legacy Communities believes to be record time: 132 condos sold in just five hours.

The Station at St. Elmo, located at 4510 Terry-O Lane in the rapidly changing St. Elmo neighborhood a few minutes south of downtown, will be made up of units running from $200,000 to more than $600,000. Crews will begin construction this August with a target opening date of fall 2022.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 3:31 AM

Austin: Local Developer Proposing Vertical Condominium Project With 264-Units

Quote:
Austin (Travis County) — An Austin developer received rezoning for a 264-unit condominium development, at the Planning Commission’s Tuesday session.

The property added a vertical designation to its mixed use (V-MU) zoning and had its conditional overlay removed.

The 2.41-acre property (104,979 SF), is located over two lots that face the south side of West Anderson Lane, between Burnet Road and Hardy Drive.

The site is best known for the Genuine Joe Coffeehouse. In total, there are five single-story office and retail buildings, with addresses from 2001-2013 W. Anderson Lane, currently occupying the real estate, along with associated surface parking.

Carl L. Evins with Evins Rental Properties, LLC owns the land through his entity Evins Investments, LP.

Evins is proposing to develop Anderson Lane Condos–a 264-unit vertical condominium project with 10 percent of the units reserved for tenants earning 80% of median family income.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 4:36 AM

Hopefully they can incorporate Genuine Joe into the new building, but man... with this and the apartment buildings going in over on the other side of Burnet it seems like this corridor could be about to explode.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post
Hopefully they can incorporate Genuine Joe into the new building, but man... with this and the apartment buildings going in over on the other side of Burnet it seems like this corridor could be about to explode.
It's about time. The density is way low for significance of the corridor, especially west of Burnet.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 1:44 PM

While I love the added density, that really REALLY sucks about Genuine Joe's. Def an "Austin staple" and had that scarce....weird factor. Just hoping for retail retail retail!!

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 2:03 PM

I believe the rezoning application mentioned they planned ground floor retail. Now, whether that's technically committed I don't know, and it may not work out for Genuine Joe specifically (I remember when Pour House actually made it back to Burnet, and it just wasn't the same). But some is better than none.

Yeah, I think we're finally going to start to see W Anderson really start to build out. Hopefully enough to justify upgrading the 323 to frequent service (especially once it's feeding into light rail at NLTC).
And on my wish list is finally redeveloping the North Cross WalMart that the neighborhood blocked years ago.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
I believe the rezoning application mentioned they planned ground floor retail. Now, whether that's technically committed I don't know, and it may not work out for Genuine Joe specifically (I remember when Pour House actually made it back to Burnet, and it just wasn't the same). But some is better than none.

Yeah, I think we're finally going to start to see W Anderson really start to build out. Hopefully enough to justify upgrading the 323 to frequent service (especially once it's feeding into light rail at NLTC).
And on my wish list is finally redeveloping the North Cross WalMart that the neighborhood blocked years ago.
The neighborhood didn't block anything, but they tried to block the WalMart because they actually preferred VMU development (or so they said). Ultimately, WalMart downsized slightly, but I bet it had more to do with market economics than the neighborhood's wishes, because they had every right under the zoning to build the larger store. Is that what you meant?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin