HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 10:42 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
I'll try to use this a reminder to pull over and snap a photo one of these days when driving south on Millar Avenue. Even though the taller of the two towers is quite a ways away, it's perfectly lined up with Millar Avenue and both the building and tower crane are now very noticeable from this vantage point in the north end of Saskatoon.
I haven't seen the buildings from that angle. I've only experienced them from the top of the College Bridge, and they are quite prominent from there.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 7:47 PM

It's actually quite prominent right now way over on Circle Drive as well after getting past Preston Crossing heading West. Maybe it will blend in more once complete, but the orange and white tarps and steel beams stand out as is.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 8:49 PM

I was really surprised last week to see how prominent it is from the 14th St to College Dr section of Circle Drive.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 4:50 AM

couple photos from the top from a construction worker on snapchat. pretty slick views!

can also see the YWCA construction in the last one

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 9:57 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
These are purpose-built rentals that are pretty clearly not luxury. Yes, they might be more expensive than older buildings but why would extra supply ever mean higher rents across the board?
I didn't say more expensive than older buildings. I said if these are the among the most expensive units on the market; namely newer or high end older units. The more charged for newer units, the more older units can charge at a discount to those new units. The delivery of Baydo towers could create a short term rental oversupply. It's not going to create a long term oversupply leaving owners of older units desperate for tenants. That's the typical misguided understanding that construction will create an oversupply of new units reducing the price for older units.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 11:17 PM

The units offer something new and mid-range, with truck-sized parking. They definitely won't create a situation like in Vancouver or Toronto. You can still get a house here for $300,000, and a pretty nice one in the 400's, with plenty to choose from. It's a big leap here and lifestyle change to blow your wad on a dt condo. People rent before they buy or are just here for a year or four, working at, or going to, the university. I bet you're feeling the laid-back vibe already. Also, it's COLD! We also don't have an influx of foreign money-launderers leaving empty units- or horrible renting rates- in their wake.

Btw, one building will be available for rental upon completion, while the second will be built, but mothballed, until demand activates it. At least that's their plan.

Last edited by Saskabusher; Dec 19, 2023 at 2:03 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyku View Post
It's actually quite prominent right now way over on Circle Drive as well after getting past Preston Crossing heading West. Maybe it will blend in more once complete, but the orange and white tarps and steel beams stand out as is.
Haha....I was going to post the same thing this morning after driving west on Attridge towards Preston Crossing. Not sure why I did not notice it before, but when you are at the top of that overpass, the Baydo Tower really stands out!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 9:29 PM

Baydo Construction Update December 21, 2023.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2023, 3:13 PM

CanadianDriverYXE, you've come thru again! Thanks for the thousand words. I have a feeling you live there and snap after work? Your position never wavers. I stayed there for several days and loved the vibe of the residents, so close to the natural embankment of the Saskatchewan....

My thoughts: It seems like the 24th floor posts are a little taller? It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next month- oops, this is Baydo time so, in the next season, to crown this building, aka top-out.

They're close, but the Penthouse/Rec centre 25th floor is still to come. While in renderings, there is no wheelhouse/mechanical penthouse, there's probably just a higher 25th fl ceiling.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much progress in the South/foreground. That's the building to come online later. It would still be nice to see the four floor podium solidify over its footprint, to complete the base of this project. I bet they wish that, too. Then folks could see the commercial rental property and make plans, if any. We'll see. If a donair shop, a health clinic, a coffee shop and a bakery/deli/market open up, all the better for the area! (The brew pub is across the street;>) Ai!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2023, 4:18 PM

To answer your question Saskabusher, no unfortunately I do not live downtown. Not yet anyway. I hope and want to live downtown, but I can’t afford it yet, maybe after I finish College! I grew up on the west side of Saskatoon, and I’m passionate about infrastructure, construction and tall buildings, and so I found SSP!

I wanted to snap a photo for this community before I go and spend christmas at my partner’s hometown of Melville! so on that note, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all. Thank you for welcoming me in this community! Cheers!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2023, 5:10 PM

Merry Christmas to you, CanadianDriverYXE, and safe travels. Your photos and contributions are always appreciated.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2023, 8:34 AM

CanadianDriverYXE, Happy New Year to you and yours! (And all the folks on here.)

I also very much enjoyed your videos when you showcased "Saskatchewan's new tallest", and drove around Saskatoon highlighting Nutrien's new HQ, its siblings and the developments' impact on the skyline. Appreciation confirmed!

I look forward to Baydo's impact and eventual coloured-siding. As I recall on Broadway, they didn't start adding it until the whole building was insulated. Oh well. At least they've toned it down. It won't be as darkly tr3ndy of the time and this project should better stand the test of time. It's a low bar, just keep that in mind. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 5:29 PM

Merry Christmas too everyone on here, thanks for the photos and updates, hoping everyone has a goo new year and lots to talk about.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 12:13 AM

Comparison of Baydo Construction from last January.
Left photo was taken on Jan 11, 2023
Right photo was taken on Jan 07, 2024

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 1:57 AM

That's a slow moving build.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2024, 2:39 PM

Construction Update February 10, 2024. All photos by me.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 8:22 AM

Thanks for the update! Slooooow but slightly noticeable progress. It looks like they were able to reuse the plastic tarp from the tall core and bring it down to the south tower, which finally seems slightly higher. Could mean they're going ahead with it. Ya never know until you know. From real estate listings you can see this build from all corners of the city now, so it is having a skyline impact. Fingers crossed on that siding....

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 2:35 PM

those tiny windows will make this tower look so incredibly cheap with is a shame given how prominent it will likely feature in the skyline.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 3:34 PM

Thanks for the update! I am certain that the south tower will be built if Saskatoon is growing at a record pace and housing is not keeping up with demand. Everything helps whether or not it's an architectural masterpiece.

Fingers crossed that The Spire gets underway soon. It is concerning to see that after all the excitement generated by the links to the posted renderings has gone quiet. It would be a welcome addition to the Saskatoon skyline with a refreshing look that may inspire others to do better.

Something like a Loblaw's City Market or Independent in the core area would help. Vancouver now has a LCM in the former post office building downtown and Calgary has a Superstore within a residential complex east of city hall. Very short sighted for Midtown to cancel Pitchfork Market. Someone needs to get the ball rolling rather than take a wait and see what the others are doing.

Saskatoon needs to take full advantage of the potential momentum downtown with the proposed new arena, convention centre and library. The conversion of the old bus barns moving forward is another plus as is the Gather Local Market. Wish that the Kelsey Campus would be rebuilt in or near the current campus.

All in all I do think that Saskatoon is moving in the right direction with the core area. Sad to see that Regina is becoming more suburban oriented and that the core seems to be withering away.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 6:06 PM

Monthly Construction Update March 14, 2024.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan