HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 3:44 PM
你的媽媽

The vast majority of the current cases are in those that are unvaccinated.

In other words, get vaccinated! It actually works!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
Lots of countries are keeping the R value below 1.0

"In a fully reopened scenario" being the key operative there. We're keeping the R value below 1 because we can't sit inside a restaurant at even 10% capacity. Some countries on that map probably have very questionable data, and some have let Covid burn through massive amounts of the population already.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 3:49 PM
The City

^ Once again, you might as well just be tracking the common cold at this point.

I'm not sure what Canada is "beating" the US in any more. An infection that largely isn't killing very many people any more? Yay for Canada, I guess, but look at the price you Arctic goofballs are paying to stop the "common cold" from spreading. Locking down--still, in 2021, putting people out of business and bankrupting them?

Get the vaccine out, and move on. Some people won't get the vaccine and let those knuckleheads roll the dice with their lives.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

I'm not sure what Canada is "beating" the US in any more. An infection that largely isn't killing very many people any more? Yay for Canada, I guess, but look at the price you Arctic goofballs are paying to stop the "common cold" from spreading. Locking down--still, in 2021, putting people out of business and bankrupting them?

Get the vaccine out, and move on. Some people won't get the vaccine and let those knuckleheads roll the dice with their lives.
I just hope that a vaccine is approved for under 12s before we see a widespread red state outbreak. Otherwise a lot of blue state school districts might flip out and make elementary school remote again in the fall.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 3:58 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I just hope that a vaccine is approved for under 12s before we see a widespread red state outbreak. Otherwise a lot of blue state school districts might flip out and make elementary school remote again in the fall.
as the parent of 5 and 6 year olds, that is literally the only thing i still care about with this stupid fucking virus.

the CTU has been so completely over-reactive about this whole thing.

"look, somebody in Sri Lanka just stubbed their toe really bad. we better close the schools again and do remote, you know, for the children, just to be safe."

just let my kids get vaxxed already so that i never have to hear the goddamn phrase "remote learning" ever again!

what's taking so long?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
as the parent of 5 and 6 year olds, that is literally the only thing i still care about with this stupid fucking virus.

just let my kids get vaxxed already so that i never have to hear the goddamn phrase "remote learning" ever again!

what's taking so long?
Last I heard the Pfizer vaccine is on track to be approved for kids ages 5-11 as early as September. Younger children may take a bit longer. But the FDA approval process is a slow as molasses under normal conditions, and even though they are expediting things, it will take time to figure out the proper dosage.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 4:05 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:

"look, somebody in Sri Lanka just stubbed their toe really bad. we better close the schools again and do remote, you know, for the children, just to be safe."

what's taking so long?
Trials are underway in children as young as 6 months old. Early results should be available this month and full results in September, but vaccinations probably won't take place until early 2022. Hopefully the timeline gets moved up though because that is a long time for the delta variant, and inevitable future ones to spread.

You can always contact your local academic medical centers to see if they are participating in the trials and see if you can enroll your children in the study.

Also important to note they may receive placebo but you'll find out six months later. If the subject received placebo they will have the chance to receive the actual vaccine after that 6 month period.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 4:59 PM
The City

Quote:

what's taking so long?
Ain't this the truth.

But if the teachers have been vaccinated, they are perfectly safe teaching unvaccinated students, especially if masking is required.

But I'm sure that stupidity will prevail, as it always does

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 5:10 PM
The City

Just wait, guys, just wait till the THETA Q variant arises.

We're FUCKED, I tell ya! We're all going to die!!!!

Buahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

I'm waiting on you, Theta Q!!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 7:42 PM

Quote:

Most Canadian aren't hurting and the average Canadian has become richer due to government spending and savings since covid started

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 7:44 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:

Chill.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 8:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Woah..woah there bud. (talking to you like a horse) Calm down. It's cool. Take some CBD, however...

We must first get through
DELTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
then
LAMBDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
Most Canadian aren't hurting and the average Canadian has become richer due to government spending and savings since covid started
Temporarily richer on average maybe, but we all owe the bill on the Federal debt that was required to maintain such a standard of living during the longest lockdowns in the developed world.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 8:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Temporarily richer on average maybe, but we all owe the bill on the Federal debt that was required to maintain such a standard of living during the longest lockdowns in the developed world.
Yeah exactly.

From Nite's perspective the Canadian government should just spend and increase spending forever then everybody in Canada will be better off.

-Said Nobody

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 9:21 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelback View Post
Woah..woah there bud. (talking to you like a horse) Calm down. It's cool. Take some CBD, however...

We must first get through
DELTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
then
LAMBDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm trying to chill but I'm so scared of the new variants.

One....then another....then another.....it's like sequel after sequel of Friday the 13th. Just like Jason, 'Rona just keeps coming back, it never dies!!!

We're DOOOOMEED!!!!!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Bay Area COVID deaths plunge to near zero, thanks to high vaccination rates
Erin Allday
July 7, 2021
Updated: July 7, 2021 4:33 p.m.

COVID-19 deaths have nearly bottomed out in the Bay Area, with an average of one new death reported a day for all nine counties — the lowest number since the start of the pandemic and a dramatic drop from the winter surge, when nearly 70 people were dying every day.

The region reported no deaths Sunday through Tuesday, the first time three consecutive days have passed without a COVID fatality in more than 15 months. Deaths statewide have also dropped sharply, to about 20 a day from a peak of more than 500 in January . . . .

Virtually everyone now dying of COVID locally and nationally is unvaccinated . . . .

That the Bay Area — among the most highly vaccinated regions in the world — would see deaths drop to nearly zero is remarkable but not surprising, public health experts said. The plummeting death toll is further evidence that the vaccines are strongly protective against the worst COVID outcomes, even as the delta variant starts to dominate in California, too.

. . . breakthrough cases of COVID among people who are fully vaccinated remain rare. About 8,700 such cases were reported in California from Jan. 1 through the end of June, according to data released by the California Department of Public Health. Deaths are even rarer — 71 fatalities have been reported in people who are fully vaccinated, accounting for less than 0.2% of all COVID deaths over the past six months.

About 62,800 people have died of COVID in California, including about 5,775 people in the Bay Area, since the first U.S. death was recorded, in Santa Clara County last February. Those numbers actually dropped by a few hundred over recent weeks as several Bay Area counties adjusted their fatality reports to remove people who had died from causes other than the coronavirus . . . .

For the past three weeks, people age 35 and younger made up about 55% of all cases in California, said Dr. George Lemp, a retired University of California epidemiologist who regularly analyzes state coronavirus data. Adults age 80 and over made up only about 1% of cases. “So even if we have a fair number of unvaccinated young people, at least the deaths will be averted,” Lemp said . . . .

Six Bay Area counties — coincidentally, the same ones that were the first in the U.S. to issue stay-at-home orders last March — are among only seven counties in California to have fully vaccinated more than 70% of the population eligible for shots, according to the state Department of Public Health.

For the entire Bay Area, 73% of eligible residents are fully vaccinated, and 80% have had at least one dose. But nearly 1.3 million residents who are 12 or older, and therefore eligible for the vaccine, have not been vaccinated.

That group, plus children who can’t yet be vaccinated, adds up to a lot of vulnerable people, especially with a highly infectious variant now circulating, public health officials said. The delta variant may now make up roughly a third of all cases in California . . . .
https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/a...s-16299719.php

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:

what's taking so long?
I just can’t figure out what the concern is here.

You and your wife are vaccinated. Your kids teachers are vaccinated (if they’re not, it’s their own problem). The school janitors and the lunch lady and the school bus driver are vaccinated (if not, then again, their own problem). So why do the kids need to be vaccinated? So they don’t get the sniffles (if that) and then have antibodies anyway?

Wearing masks also can’t be good for kids’ social development.

Separately, I had a colleague tell me last week that he took his family on a one week vacation (in England), at the cost of a couple grand for 4 people, and on day 3 got a call from Public Health England saying the whole family had to go home and “self-isolate” because one of his daughter’s classmates had tested positive for Covid. Fuck. That. I would keep my kids remote or just have them skip a semester until this horseshit is over.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 1:24 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post

You and your wife are vaccinated. Your kids teachers are vaccinated (if they’re not, it’s their own problem). The school janitors and the lunch lady and the school bus driver are vaccinated (if not, then again, their own problem). So why do the kids need to be vaccinated? So they don’t get the sniffles (if that) and then have antibodies anyway?
Wow, talk about the point sailing right over one's head.

I want my kids, and all CPS kids, to get vaxxed ASAP in case some dumb covid variant has a breakout among America's dip-shit class and gets the CTU's panties in a bunch and we have to go back to fucking remote learning "for the sake of children". If all the kids are vaxxed, then they'll have one less leg to stand on in trying to make that argument.

I NEED my kids physically in school, all day, 5 days a week.

Remote "learning" is 100% bullshit.

Quote:

I agree, which is another reason I hope that young children can start getting vaxxed soon, because then CPS might relax its stringent mask rules.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jul 8, 2021 at 2:21 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 1:26 PM

Quote:

Separately, I had a colleague tell me last week that he took his family on a one week vacation (in England), at the cost of a couple grand for 4 people, and on day 3 got a call from Public Health England saying the whole family had to go home and “self-isolate” because one of his daughter’s classmates had tested positive for Covid. Fuck. That. I would keep my kids remote or just have them skip a semester until this horseshit is over.
I can only speak for myself but...

I'm mildly concerned about my 11-year-old daughter, as she's actually post-pubescent, and teens are about as likely to get seriously ill as 20somethings. We still try to be careful with her when we go out. But she turns 12 in August, and will be getting her first shot the day after her birthday, so the window for concern is drawing to a close.

With my seven-year-old son, I'm not concerned at all really, because I know it's unlikely he'd catch it even if exposed, unlikely he'd spread it, and very unlikely he'd get seriously ill. That said, a year and a half of online schooling has scarred me, and I'm terrified of backsliding to remote learning again in the fall due to the overreactions of other parents. FWIW he's been socialized to wear a mask now, even in situations I don't think it's entirely needed (like playing outside far from other kids) but he insists on wearing it, so I'm not going to go against him.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 2:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I can only speak for myself but...

I'm mildly concerned about my 11-year-old daughter, as she's actually post-pubescent, and teens are about as likely to get seriously ill as 20somethings. We still try to be careful with her when we go out. But she turns 12 in August, and will be getting her first shot the day after her birthday, so the window for concern is drawing to a close.

With my seven-year-old son, I'm not concerned at all really, because I know it's unlikely he'd catch it even if exposed, unlikely he'd spread it, and very unlikely he'd get seriously ill. That said, a year and a half of online schooling has scarred me, and I'm terrified of backsliding to remote learning again in the fall due to the overreactions of other parents. FWIW he's been socialized to wear a mask now, even in situations I don't think it's entirely needed (like playing outside far from other kids) but he insists on wearing it, so I'm not going to go against him.
The risk to teenagers is exceptionally low.

2020-2021 in the 0-17 age group:
49,047 deaths from all causes.
331 Covid-19 deaths.
185 influenza deaths.

0-17 Covid deaths represents 0.05% of all Covid deaths in America.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c....htm#SexAndAge

5-18 age group: 271 Covid deaths from 1/4/2020 to 7/3/2021.
Considering this is a running total from the beginning, that's incredibly low.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions