HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 9:17 PM

Here’s a little off the board…

With the construction of some the office complexes in Quarry Park as well as the Golder building at Memorial & Barlow, could some of the suburban, non-downtown office space be constructed along 36 St NE (say between Memorial Dr and 16 Ave NE)? With the LRT being right there, along with decent vehicle access, 36 St could be converted into a better high density, mixed use corridor.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 9:35 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

One problem with Calgary compared to other larger and/or older cities, is other cities always seem to have areas with small walkable retail but which is lower value property, where you might get more unique retail/bars/etc that aren't the type to pay Stephen Ave or Kensington prices (think what used to be in Kensington but are getting pushed out). Areas like north of Centre or 17th Ave SE don't really have walkable retail, it would have to be built new. All I can think of in line to go through the first stages of gentrification** is perhaps Montgomery and Bowness' 'main streets'.

Another area that could do the trick however is here

http://goo.gl/maps/2uKpz

It's small blocks, a number of smaller retail/light industrial buildings, and a few mins from a lightly used LRT station.

I'd love to see some cool places show up there.

** which is gentrification, when a seedy area starts getting populated by hipsters and artists, or when they themselves are shoved out by chain stores and expensive condos?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 11:13 PM
Aviary Masticator

That patch of land near 14th St across from Mucho Burrito.

Could be viable for something.

As mentioned, 12th and 12th is prime land. I think a grocery store should open there.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
One problem with Calgary compared to other larger and/or older cities, is other cities always seem to have areas with small walkable retail but which is lower value property, where you might get more unique retail/bars/etc that aren't the type to pay Stephen Ave or Kensington prices (think what used to be in Kensington but are getting pushed out). Areas like north of Centre or 17th Ave SE don't really have walkable retail, it would have to be built new. All I can think of in line to go through the first stages of gentrification** is perhaps Montgomery and Bowness' 'main streets'.

Another area that could do the trick however is here

http://goo.gl/maps/2uKpz

It's small blocks, a number of smaller retail/light industrial buildings, and a few mins from a lightly used LRT station.

I'd love to see some cool places show up there.

** which is gentrification, when a seedy area starts getting populated by hipsters and artists, or when they themselves are shoved out by chain stores and expensive condos?
Well the plan is still to move 39th ave station north and redevelop the entire interface with mission road....

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 12:48 AM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by andasen View Post
Well the plan is still to move 39th ave station north and redevelop the entire interface with mission road....
Oh really? I don't doubt what you say but I have never heard that before. The area between Macleod and Blackfoot is a wasteland and needs to be re-developed.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 2:48 AM
Editor

Most of the areas I'd like to see get more development are already getting it ....Bridgeland, East Village, Beltline (east side particularly), but most of all I would like most of all to see the parcels along the CP tracks get developed. With Place 10 it's starting...along with Mark and 6th & 10th being close by. It would be nice to see a few more parcels get developed though.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
That patch of land near 14th St across from Mucho Burrito.

Could be viable for something.

As mentioned, 12th and 12th is prime land. I think a grocery store should open there.
I would say that all of 14th Street, spanning from SAIT at the North end to 33rd Ave at the South end, is a disaster. Small steps are taken in the right direction (such as the new Starbucks and adjacent retail in Bankview), but I just wish this would happen at a faster pace.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Oh really? I don't doubt what you say but I have never heard that before. The area between Macleod and Blackfoot is a wasteland and needs to be re-developed.
Yup. Burnsland Industrial and Manchester Industrial are prime for redevelopment. The area is already well served by transit, with the (currently underused) 39 Street Station.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrical Storm View Post
I would say that all of 14th Street, spanning from SAIT at the North end to 33rd Ave at the South end, is a disaster. Small steps are taken in the right direction (such as the new Starbucks and adjacent retail in Bankview), but I just wish this would happen at a faster pace.
They should just turf it over with sod and create a linear park.

I would argue 14th Street is Calgary's most offense road; I can understand why the Glenmore to 25th Ave section of Macleod Trail is ugly due to its industrial-commuter focus and no immediate areas around that would expect it to be nicer. 14th though passes through some of the wealthiest and nicest high-end residential areas of the city, with little or no history of industrial use or inherently unattractive land-use. It is amazing it has lasted so long like this.

If they could reconfigure the whole Bow Trail interface and slow down the traffic there (same with the 16th Ave interface). Add a few more E-W through connections in Hillhurst, expand the pedestrian realm into the large ROW and beautify it a big street of patios and retail to which it deserves.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Yup. Burnsland Industrial and Manchester Industrial are prime for redevelopment. The area is already well served by transit, with the (currently underused) 39 Street Station.
Agree, this area is so prime for redevelopment. The question is the zoning of the area. Until it gets rezoned developers will shy away from it.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
Agree, this area is so prime for redevelopment. The question is the zoning of the area. Until it gets rezoned developers will shy away from it.
Is that something that the city can do arbitrarily? or do they need landowners to approach them to request it?

As someone who is not familiar with the implications of zoning, what advantages / disadvantages would current landowners have if the area was rezoned for redevelopment? I suspect that would affect their assessed value / tax picture?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterG View Post
Is that something that the city can do arbitrarily? or do they need landowners to approach them to request it?

As someone who is not familiar with the implications of zoning, what advantages / disadvantages would current landowners have if the area was rezoned for redevelopment? I suspect that would affect their assessed value / tax picture?
Technically the city can do, but it can lead to issues and not all property owners are always in favor even with lots of consultation with land owners. Usually in conjunction with an ARP they will do en-masse rezoning (they did for Sunalta, though needed to make a few after-the-fact reversions to some properties such as when they changed the zoning on the Husky which would have more-or-less forced them to close down if they ever wanted to do a massive renovation as it would have then been a use that isn't allowed). They sometimes also strategically do rezoning to help applicants who are wanting to fix problem areas or problem sites, such as Union Square II, or in cases where the city made a change first that negatively impacted a property and how it can be used.

Plus in those areas I've seen the city shy away from wanting to change from the light industrial type uses that fill that area mostly, as they think they need to preserve that. But I think over time we will see Manchester upzone a bit. I've heard some interesting ideas related to the relocation of 39th Ave station that could really spur on that process

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Technically the city can do, but it can lead to issues and not all property owners are always in favor even with lots of consultation with land owners. Usually in conjunction with an ARP they will do en-masse rezoning (they did for Sunalta, though needed to make a few after-the-fact reversions to some properties such as when they changed the zoning on the Husky which would have more-or-less forced them to close down if they ever wanted to do a massive renovation as it would have then been a use that isn't allowed). They sometimes also strategically do rezoning to help applicants who are wanting to fix problem areas or problem sites, such as Union Square II, or in cases where the city made a change first that negatively impacted a property and how it can be used.

Plus in those areas I've seen the city shy away from wanting to change from the light industrial type uses that fill that area mostly, as they think they need to preserve that. But I think over time we will see Manchester upzone a bit. I've heard some interesting ideas related to the relocation of 39th Ave station that could really spur on that process
Interesting, that provides me with some good context. Thanks!

What have you heard? I have always been suspicious of the dubiously large gap in the LRT from Chinook to 39th Ave. I always thought that a 50th Ave Station is more appropriate and susceptible to redevelopment.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 7:15 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:

What have you heard? I have always been suspicious of the dubiously large gap in the LRT from Chinook to 39th Ave. I always thought that a 50th Ave Station is more appropriate and susceptible to redevelopment.
Me too.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 7:20 PM
Aviary Masticator

Quote:
I would agree. There's not much activity in that area but once you go into the side streets, there are beautiful single-dwelling homes.

I wonder why not much activity is happening there. Maybe it's to keep property taxes low.

I think past Memorial Drive, heading down towards downtown close to Mucho Burrito, all the way to 17th Ave, that entire 14 St could definitely use some new energy.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 7:57 PM

Quote:

I would argue 14th Street is Calgary's most offense road; I can understand why the Glenmore to 25th Ave section of Macleod Trail is ugly due to its industrial-commuter focus and no immediate areas around that would expect it to be nicer. 14th though passes through some of the wealthiest and nicest high-end residential areas of the city, with little or no history of industrial use or inherently unattractive land-use. It is amazing it has lasted so long like this.
i could not agree more - it's an embarrassment, especially between 17th and 10th aves.

my wife's uncle used to live in the west beltline 15 years ago (he now lives in toronto) and he loves to ask us - is the a&w still there? to which we sheepishly answer yes - but it is being reno'd!

baby steps i guess.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 9:45 PM

Quote:
They should just turf it over with sod and create a linear park.

I would argue 14th Street is Calgary's most offence road... 14th though passes through some of the wealthiest and nicest high-end residential areas of the city, with little or no history of industrial use or inherently unattractive land-use. It is amazing it has lasted so long like this.
I think the location of 14th relative to up-and-coming (and established) adjacent areas is what makes its current state such a mess.

A revitalization of 14th should feature two phases;
(1) Between Kensington Road and 5th Street NW., both sides of the street should feature mixed use buildings, with the ultimate goal of a nice street wall and more affordable residential options than are found on 10th Street.
(2) Between 17th Ave and 10th Ave SW., higher density mixed use on both the Beltline side and the Sunalta side will help Sunalta grow as a desirable community with nearby amenities (along with train access). Again, this stretch of 14th could be a mirror of 1st Street Village, where buildings like Chocolate, Colours, Hotel Arts, and Union Square have redefined the area.In turn, this type of development along 14th will serve as a much needed shot in the arm to the West Beltline, in terms of new high-rise and mid-rise development.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
...But I think over time we will see Manchester upzone a bit. I've heard some interesting ideas related to the relocation of 39th Ave station that could really spur on that process
Where would the station be relocated to? And could this mean adding two stations (more strategically placed stations) between the Erlton to Chinook stretch?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 9:54 PM
BANNED

Every parking lot left in the city centre...

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
For a long time 14th street was intended to be the primary N-S freeway in southwest Calgary. I wonder if there was an earlier restriction or a later hesitancy to build along that corridor. It has been a while since that was scrapped, so maybe that has nothing to do with the state of it now.
Whenever I take the stretch between Canyon Meadows and Anderson I feel like I've stepped into a time machine.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates