HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 4:04 PM

YUL and YOW aren’t exactly new for them. I suspect expanding the schedule is defensive (YOW) and preemptive (YUL) against Porter. I’m not sure what to think of that.

BNA is 2x weekly for 2 months (Sept-Nov). They used to do limited trial services more, this looks like that. It’s certainly not bad, but as a business traveller I’d much rather see them bump ATL to full daily rather than more add more fragments.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 4:04 PM

Why the 2 month window for Nashville, seems odd to go from Sept to Nov.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 4:11 PM

I immediately noticed those are all NHL cities. Yes teams use charter flights but the league activity generates other movements such as refs, officials, scouts, broadcasters, etc. I wonder if that could be a factor and if other NHL cities such as DFW might be in the pipeline.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 4:16 PM

YUL isn't new on WS, but being year-round is as it used to be seasonal from what I recall. Regardless, a major win for YWG, especially more competition for YUL with AC. I'm glad to see WS continue to build up YWG as a regional hub. Now to get our YHZ service extended to year-round and re-establish our UK service in the near future!

I'd also like to see ATL and LAX go daily, which I think is a possibility in the next year or two.

I'm impatient, but baby steps is better than no steps at all.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 4:30 PM

I believe Montreal used to be year round before being cut to seasonal. But I could be misremembering.

A little capacity being available after the summer peak is probably partly why they’d do that. If advance bookings are strong, they can use that info when preparing the winter sked.

I suspect terminal expansion is the big thing to hope for next.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 4:39 PM

YWG-YUL was available numerous times over the past year when I was flying there, through YYZ. I didn't think it was seasonal. But the article did not mention direct to Montreal and also mentioned Ottawa. So I suspect it will be a new offering through Ottawa potentially. Just give us direct to Montreal ffs.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I immediately noticed those are all NHL cities. Yes teams use charter flights but the league activity generates other movements such as refs, officials, scouts, broadcasters, etc. I wonder if that could be a factor and if other NHL cities such as DFW might be in the pipeline.
Likely more fans from other NHL cities flying here to watch games as well. DFW would be nice, and I'm not without hope for AA expanding to YWG since they just expanded in YHZ, but again that may be a few years off yet. Hopefully a NYC flight is on the horizon as well.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
YWG-YUL was available numerous times over the past year when I was flying there, through YYZ. I didn't think it was seasonal. But the article did not mention direct to Montreal and also mentioned Ottawa. So I suspect it will be a new offering through Ottawa potentially. Just give us direct to Montreal ffs.
It is a direct flight to YUL and flights are bookable on the WS website, no connection through YOW or anywhere else.

And I too suspect that Porter is getting ready to announce a YWG-YUL flight soon, and also potentially making the soon-to-commence YOW-YWG route double daily.

I do wonder if all this Ottawa capacity will affect ACs YWG-YOW seasonal route. I bet AC would love more excuses to cut more YWG routes.

Last edited by Justanothermember; Apr 8, 2024 at 5:07 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 4:47 PM

Nice!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Why the 2 month window for Nashville, seems odd to go from Sept to Nov.
I too admit to thinking that having this seasonal route commence in September is.....odd. Sept to Nov isn't exactly a peak travel time for places like Nashville. I would have expected a route like this to commence in say May or June like it has in YEG and YYZ, but I guess WS have their reasons.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
Likely more fans from other NHL cities flying here to watch games as well. DFW would be nice, and I'm not without hope for AA expanding to YWG since they just expanded in YHZ, but again that may be a few years off yet. Hopefully a NYC flight is on the horizon as well.
AA's service to YHZ is a partial re-establishment of service which existed prior to COVID.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 5:15 PM

Quote:
I do wonder if all this Ottawa capacity will affect ACs YWG-YOW seasonal route. I bet they'd love more excuses to cut more YWG routes.
There is a saying that a cynic is a disappointed idealist. I’d caution not to be too Schadenfreude-y. Sometimes outlook has a way of becoming self fulfilling, and it’s not a formula to happiness.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myst View Post
There is a saying that a cynic is a disappointed idealist. I’d caution not to be too Schadenfreude-y. Sometimes outlook has a way of becoming self fulfilling.
Meh, it's not secret that AC shows little love for YWG. If anything, I'd be fine with them cutting YYC capacity though

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 6:03 PM

I am rather hoping for enhancement on YWG-YYC, not a cut…

Last edited by Myst; Apr 8, 2024 at 6:32 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 6:50 PM

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 8:40 PM

Quote:
I am rather hoping for enhancement on YWG-YYC, not a cut…
I'd rather see AC reinstate our Edmonton route than keep herding us through Calgary simply to bolster YYC's passenger numbers.

No, I'm not a fan of YYC

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 8:42 PM

Quote:
I'd rather see AC reinstate our Edmonton route than keep herding us through Calgary simply to bolster their passenger numbers. No, I'm not a fan of YYC haha.
Worst airport in Western Canada. I loathe Calgary almost as much as YUL.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Worst airport in Western Canada. I loathe Calgary almost as much as YUL.
I'd still rather YUL over the YYZoo.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 9:01 PM

Quote:
I suspect terminal expansion is the big thing to hope for next.
This can't come soon enough. Our passenger traffic will only grow, along with the CMA population reaching one million in the next few years, and they need to plan for and accommodate that growth which will continue to include new domestic, transborder and ultimately intercontinental routes.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 9:11 PM

Quote:
This can't come soon enough. Our passenger traffic will only grow, along with the CMA population reaching one million in the next few years, and they need to plan for and accommodate that growth which will continue to include new domestic, transborder and ultimately intercontinental routes.
Anyone have any word on that? Wasn't it supposed to start in 2025? Seems like a great project. I'd love love love routes to LHR and to LIS. LIS purely because I'm a cheapskate and Portugal great for cheapos like me lol.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan