HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Drove by this monstrosity yesterday and it appears to have been repainted to a lighter greige or white colour. Still ugly as sin.
If you think the front is ugly check out the garage side:
West Vancouver sees your cheap vulgarity and raises the pot with a chateau tailored for the discerning offshore buyer, complete with a $23 million pricetag:

[IMG]west-vancouver-mansion-exterior-png-1-5875226-1650908638991 by bcborn, on Flickr[/IMG]
Credit: Sothebys/CTV BC

Deets: https://bc.ctvnews.ca/grand-estate-w...-23m-1.5875216

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 1:42 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
West Vancouver sees your cheap vulgarity and raises the pot with a chateau tailored for the discerning offshore buyer, complete with a $23 million pricetag:

[IMG]west-vancouver-mansion-exterior-png-1-5875226-1650908638991 by bcborn, on Flickr[/IMG]

It's gaudy, but it's symmetrical and it's execution is way above most of what has been posted. On the 1-10 ugly scale, only a five for me for being way over the top.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 1:42 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
The photo that started it all (Ugly Canada thread, version 1)

And the original thread, for old-times' sake:
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=187464

The ugly cibc logo juxtaposed on the elegant etched stone is now gone! I think the bank hauled stakes.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9733...7i16384!8i8192
It would have been ugly but passable if they hadn't plastered the logo on top of the original lettering.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
It's gaudy, but it's symmetrical and it's execution is way above most of what has been posted. On the 1-10 ugly scale, only a five for me for being way over the top.
Unlike some of the tacky McMansions posted in this thread, that one is actually well done. Obviously on the flashy side, but that's a matter of taste. I wouldn't call it ugly.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 2:15 PM

Quote:
It would have been ugly but passable if they hadn't plastered the logo on top of the original lettering.
I can just imagine the mindset that led to that spectacularly awful sign placement. Bank manager opens the crate from Toronto with two signs in it... "well, I guess it has to go somewhere...how about up there?"

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 2:17 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It’s like a painted light switch.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 2:57 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post

At least it comes with palm trees.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 3:00 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
That is a moral obscenity. Probably a family of four living in there with at least the same number of Filipino slaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
The view from their backyard is spectacular though: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0318...!7i8704!8i4352
Yes that is the spectacular public view that this monstrosity blocks from sight for the rest of the street. Even the magpies must be angry or sense that it's garbage because the last time I visited there was a swarm of them in the grass beside it.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 3:05 PM
Fake News

Quote:
The photo that started it all (Ugly Canada thread, version 1)

And the original thread, for old-times' sake:
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=187464

The ugly cibc logo juxtaposed on the elegant etched stone is now gone! I think the bank hauled stakes.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9733...7i16384!8i8192
Ah yes, memory lane. Funny to read your broad definition of ugliness on that first post
Quote:
I'm talking about ugly things in the neighborhood. The city. The countryside. In Canada. Person, Place, or Thing.
and then read the final pages where the thread was locked for supposedly violating the original intent which was narrowly described as ugly architecture.

On the topic of the ugly new sign replacing the old one I saw a new CIBC logo replacing an old sign recently that was a completely different shape and so the plywood / unpainted section of the wall was visible.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 5:53 PM

Quote:
The chandelier monstrosity inside easily knocks off two points.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 6:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I can just imagine the mindset that led to that spectacularly awful sign placement. Bank manager opens the crate from Toronto with two signs in it... "well, I guess it has to go somewhere...how about up there?"
Precisely. This is why I felt so much rage when I saw the photo posted on some Sarnia photo thread.

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 2:45 PM
Fake News

A couple beauties courtesy of vid:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@47.84278...5OxQ!2e0?hl=en

Apparently I own a discount store in Northern Ontario:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.21827...2!8i6656?hl=en

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 6:05 PM

Quote:
A couple beauties courtesy of vid:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@47.84278...5OxQ!2e0?hl=en

Apparently I own a discount store in Northern Ontario:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.21827...2!8i6656?hl=en
those are some depressing shots... seek

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 6:08 PM

^ The 'castle' in the first link looks better than 80% of the buildings in town.

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 6:53 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I've come to the conclusion that all Value Marts are ugly on purpose. Every Value Mart that I have seen is really ugly. Slovenly-looking.

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 6:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Ah yes, memory lane. Funny to read your broad definition of ugliness on that first post and then read the final pages where the thread was locked for supposedly violating the original intent which was narrowly described as ugly architecture.

On the topic of the ugly new sign replacing the old one I saw a new CIBC logo replacing an old sign recently that was a completely different shape and so the plywood / unpainted section of the wall was visible.
It is a shame that the old thread was shuttered, but I guess it is still there for posterity. This current version was never quite as amusing.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 5:14 PM
Fake News

Quote:
It is a shame that the old thread was shuttered, but I guess it is still there for posterity. This current version was never quite as amusing.
The old thread was the foundation for Clockzilla and all its friends. stevanford did a decent job of turning the earlier part of this one into a grotesque series of Yelp reviews though.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 5:15 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
^ The 'castle' in the first link looks better than 80% of the buildings in town.
It reminds me of a funeral home.

This family restaurant across the street looks like the type of place in every horror movie where the rural folk warn the visiting band of teenagers to leave town or else.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@47.84270...2!8i6656?hl=en

Last edited by O-tacular; May 9, 2022 at 5:25 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 5:45 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
those are some depressing shots... seek
Northern Ontario ‘valu-engineering’ at its finest. For every classic southern Ontario town (think Paris, On) that actually seemed to be constructed for longevity and timelessness, the north answers with something to bring the average right back down.

Having been to Chapleau, I can certainly say the CP and the locals spared every expense in its construction. It does have a couple of overpasses that are jarringly out of place for a place that small, but I guess CP was tired of locals and rail traffic mixing.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 5:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
Northern Ontario ‘valu-engineering’ at its finest. For every classic southern Ontario town (think Paris, On) that actually seemed to be constructed for longevity and timelessness, the north answers with something to bring the average right back down.

My wife who is from Northern Ontario always mentioned this. It's as if no one thinks it's worth it to invest to make it nice because the resource boom could go bust anytime, and you'd have to shut the whole town down anyway.

Obviously most cities and towns in Northern Ontario aren't going anywhere at this point, but it's hard to break the mindset.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada