HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 8:13 PM

whats IDOTs deal exactly. like why are they the way they are, and is there no recognition reform needs to take place? surely they see the issues this rigidness creates at a local infrastructure level

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
whats IDOTs deal exactly. like why are they the way they are, and is there no recognition reform needs to take place? surely they see the issues this rigidness creates at a local infrastructure level
I don't want to be too hard on IDOT. The Kennedy reconstruction is one of the few infrastructure projects that I have seen with both clear and consistent progress and deadlines actually met.

In this day and age, I will take actual competency over grand visions.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 5:56 AM
Small but Mighty

Since when was a bus lane grandiose vision?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2023, 3:57 PM

Caddi targets Midwest expansion after closing $89M round, opening Chicago office

Quote:
A global supply chain startup is looking to expand its Midwest presence in the next year.

Founded by a former McKinsey & Co. manufacturing consultant and Apple Inc. engineer, Caddi Inc., which launched in Tokyo in 2017, opened its U.S. headquarters in downtown Chicago earlier this year. With that opening came a pledge of 100 jobs for the city in the next 12 to 18 months.

Caddi has more than 600 employees globally.

When Caddi CEO Yushiro Kato was setting up the business, visiting manufacturing companies across the U.S., he noticed that all the connecting flights were in Chicago. That's when he realized it made the most sense to pick Chicago as the supply chain startup's U.S. HQ, according to Caddi director John Tezuka.

Tezuka added that Kato looked at California before ultimately landing in Chicago. The company operates out of 223 W Jackson Blvd.

"We found that there was a rich source of talent in the Midwest and in Chicago and that the affordability index was much greater," Tezuka said…

Caddi closed an $89 million Series C earlier this year, bringing its total funding to $164 million. The funding round was the largest for any Japanese startup in the first half of 2023, according to Caddi.

The supply chain startup works with manufacturers on issues like procurement and data management. Its software-as-a-service program uses artificial intelligence to turn drawing libraries into searchable assets for manufacturers, fabricators and engineers.
Profile of a company from November but I haven't seen it posted here yet. Reinforces that Chicago's tech scene is strongest in practical areas like supply chain and manufacturing tech. Also, most of their postings are for sales and marketing, which seems to be the majority of tech jobs in the city.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2023, 10:30 PM

At least the 2010 resurface of Michigan Ave held up really long. All that bus traffic would destroy conventional pavement in a few years. Whatever that was done, IDOT should use the same mix everywhere

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 2:34 AM

Not specifically Chicago or the area, but the Illinois DOR released recently its information on number of earners at various income brackets who filed returns, the aggregate income of those, etc. Illinois had a huge jump of those who filed income tax returns with greater than $500K reported adjusted gross income.

The most recently data is for filing year 2021.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 6:36 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
It may or may not be true that IDOT stymied a bus lane on Michigan Ave, but it isn't a blanket policy. Parts of Washington, Jackson, and 79th have bus lanes and those are IDOT jurisdiction.

Jackson also just got a hardened bike lane thru the West Loop, again IDOT jurisdiction although CDOT is building it.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 4:34 AM

Obviously a rumor that's been swirling for a while, but more details on not-so-good news:

https://wgntv.com/news/chicago-news/...ove-to-denver/

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Obviously a rumor that's been swirling for a while, but more details on not-so-good news:

https://wgntv.com/news/chicago-news/...ove-to-denver/
I think people jump the gun a bit on stories like this.

Quote:
The planning documents filed with the City of Denver that call for potentially 5,000 employes are the site are meant to theoretical and not an immediate plan for the use of the property, an airline official cautioned. United currently maintains corporate operations in several of its hub cities including Houston and Denver.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 3:02 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^^Indeed. However, I believe that news like this is trying to send a message to the City, specifically, about how AA and UA now want out of O'Hare's Global Hub partnership. Essentially 'move forward with the project and it's higher-than-expected-cost, and we leave Chicago.' It's not hard to connect the dots.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
^^Indeed. However, I believe that news like this is trying to send a message to the City, specifically, about how AA and UA now want out of O'Hare's Global Hub partnership. Essentially 'move forward with the project and it's higher-than-expected-cost, and we leave Chicago.' It's not hard to connect the dots.
Yep. One of my best friends is a pilot for UAL (not based in Chicago - never has been).
1) He said he's known about an expansion to DIA for a good 6-8 months now.

2) He said it was never presented as a HQ move, but rather an expansion. But he also said yes there's rumors among people who wouldn't know about HQ move. The CEO went to Air Force so it wouldn't 100% surprise him but he wouldn't think it would be a lot of people if it did actually happen.

3) He thinks it's a political move to get a tax break and other things. He was a pilot for JetBlue before UAL and said they pulled the same thing threatening to move out of NYC and voila, tax break.

4) He said UAL has no issues moving crew members out of places but he said that if they forced upper management to move from Chicago "they'd all quit." BTW he said they just moved 400 crew members (pilots etc) out of Newark because of the wars overseas and they're all pissed off about it.

5) Moving that many people cost wise is astronomical We're talking about tens of millions of dollars from a direct cost standpoint. Indirect costs are even greater. I know from personal experience (my own corporate moves plus moving others thru corporate) how much this costs. A lot of people simply would not uproot their lives. The logistics of doing this is uber complex and would take years. A lot of people have spouses with their own careers too, kids, etc and would not move. The easiest people to move are single people without kids - typically that's who I've moved myself to Chicago as it's easy. Anyone with a family - forget about it unless they're an upper level exec. And even then, many times they don't move. You can look at Oracle as an example. They announced they were moving to Austin over 3 years ago and almost nobody on their executive leadership (C-Suite, SVPs etc) is in Austin. They're all still in the Bay Area. Many execs for Caterpillar are still in the Chicago area. Most of the ones in Texas were hired in a few years ago and already living there. Some have never left Peoria and a few moved directly from Peoria because they never even moved to the Chicago area.

6) Chicago is still a big hub and regardless of where a HQ is, it takes thousands to operate that big of a hub. Delta for example employs nearly 9000 people in NYC area from what I know.

7) UAL hired 3800 people in Chicago in 2023. Don't forget that.

8) UAL said themselves it's hypothetical and for potential future expansion. UAL has made public they are expanding a lot again. They wanted to hire 15,000 people by year end (2023). I know in Houston they're planning to hire 1500 people this year alone.

9) Going off of #5, he told me all relos are paid for by corporate and cost at minimum $20K per person. This is in line with my experiences and the costs are much higher if you are trying to move a homeowner.

Last edited by marothisu; Jan 6, 2024 at 6:28 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 7:40 PM

All good discussion points.....

I agree that this is all cage rattling to get more money out of the city/state as an exchange for dealing with cost overruns at O'Hare. I am not a fan of this tactic, and if I were a benevolent dictator, I would say "Don't let the door hit you on the way out - Oh, and since you are moving your HQ, we are going to start talking to international airlines to see how they can be a part of the expansion".

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 8:26 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Indeed. It is a good (and potentially viable) leverage play by UA. I find it hard to imagine that United would try to camp thousands of operation jobs at the Denver Airport. If for no other reason than that, from what I know is that Denver airport has crap for living options anywhere near it. It is not like Denver Int is near a Park Ridge, Elk Grove, or Des Plaines. The idea that you will get a workforce enthusiastic about driving to the DIA airport everyday miles from the Denver metro's fringes is somewhat suspect. Having done that drive from downtown Denver to Denver Int; it would not be nice to do every day.

If this purchase were made for a complex in downtown Auroro (Co) or Denver I would give a potential move far more credence. That said, in the very long term, I think that UA's growth plans are likely centered more around Denver than any other airport metro given Denver's continent location, steady metro growth, and comparatively easy growth potential at the airport itself (i.e. just the expansion of terminals, no need for major runway realignment or noisy neighbors demanding flight caps etc.).

Old Posted Jan 7, 2024, 8:44 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
All good discussion points.....

I agree that this is all cage rattling to get more money out of the city/state as an exchange for dealing with cost overruns at O'Hare. I am not a fan of this tactic, and if I were a benevolent dictator, I would say "Don't let the door hit you on the way out - Oh, and since you are moving your HQ, we are going to start talking to international airlines to see how they can be a part of the expansion".

Except that international airlines aren't going to be paying for (partial upfront footing the bill, don't mean an increase in fees) expansion under any circumstances.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Indeed. It is a good (and potentially viable) leverage play by UA. I find it hard to imagine that United would try to camp thousands of operation jobs at the Denver Airport. If for no other reason than that, from what I know is that Denver airport has crap for living options anywhere near it. It is not like Denver Int is near a Park Ridge, Elk Grove, or Des Plaines. The idea that you will get a workforce enthusiastic about driving to the DIA airport everyday miles from the Denver metro's fringes is somewhat suspect. Having done that drive from downtown Denver to Denver Int; it would not be nice to do every day.

If this purchase were made for a complex in downtown Auroro (Co) or Denver I would give a potential move far more credence. That said, in the very long term, I think that UA's growth plans are likely centered more around Denver than any other airport metro given Denver's continent location, steady metro growth, and comparatively easy growth potential at the airport itself (i.e. just the expansion of terminals, no need for major runway realignment or noisy neighbors demanding flight caps etc.).
I don't think most United corporate jobs are at ORD. In fact, I'm sure they aren't. I believe their offices are in the Sears tower.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 10:39 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
I don't think most United corporate jobs are at ORD. In fact, I'm sure they aren't. I believe their offices are in the Sears tower.
That's right, they are. I should have made my point clear; both before and after the Sears move, when they were in Elk Grove and Mt.Prospect, they were in the thick of the metro area with plenty of housing and transit options for their operations and administrative staff.

In contrast, if they were to build their headquarters on the footprint at DIA, it would be 5-10 miles from the outer fringes of the Denver metro, which is less than ideal from a housing and transit standpoint.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 11:56 AM
BANNED

It's other HQ is in Boston.

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/il...-hq-to-chicago

Illinois lands massive investment: Nexamp to bring $2B, new HQ to Chicago

By FOX 32 NewsPublished January 22, 2024 4:50PM

Two billion dollars of investments and a new corporate headquarters are on the way to Illinois.

CHICAGO - A new corporate headquarters is on the way to Illinois.

Gov. J.B. Pritzker announced that Nexamp, the country's largest community solar provider, is expanding into Illinois with Chicago set to become its second national headquarters.

The governor's office says Nexamp will bring 50 permanent jobs to Illinois, but the projects they work on will employ thousands.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 5:13 PM

In surprising news, the city only spent $138 million to house and feed migrants, 60% LESS than expected: https://news.wttw.com/2024/01/04/chi...ojections-data

Seems like everyone is confused, myself included, on how we spent less than anticipated. I guess it's not too surprising, since Denver also received ~40k migrants and similarly spent ~$150 million.

Last edited by Randomguy34; Feb 9, 2024 at 8:09 PM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2024, 7:33 PM
1st Ward

Capital One acquiring Discover Financial Services, report says

Quote:
Capital One Financial
is set to acquire Discover Financial Services
, according to a report from The Wall Street Journal. The deal could be announced Tuesday, the outlet said, citing sources.

It will be an all-stock deal and Capital One, which already uses Visa and Mastercard networks, plans to keep the Discover brand, the Wall Street Journal said.

The merger of the two companies, which are among the largest credit card issuers in the U.S., would expand Capital One’s credit card offerings and its deposit base. The company bought digital concierge service Velocity Black, a premium credit card and luxury market platform, in June of last year.

There aren’t many parallels for similar acquisitions in the financial industry, meaning that the Capital One-Discover deal will likely have broad implications for merger activity within the sector, said Schiff.
Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/19/capi...port-says.html

Probably not good news for the Chicago region. Sounds like will be losing a fairly large financial firm.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Capital One acquiring Discover Financial Services, report says

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/19/capi...port-says.html

Probably not good news for the Chicago region. Sounds like will be losing a fairly large financial firm.
Is there anything on here abour what.would happen from a person perspective after a potential merger? Other than "losing" a F500 on paper, I highly doubt there would be relocations. The only thing I'd worry about is layoffs after a merger.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest