HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 5:55 AM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
With curbside recycling available everywhere, and was not available in 1971 when the bottle bill passed, do we still need the bottle deposit program? If we do keep it, the 30+ million that the bottle distributors collect from unredeemed deposits should go towards homeless services.
Our roadsides, rivers, lakes and forests would be littered with bottles and cans without a deposit.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
With curbside recycling available everywhere, and was not available in 1971 when the bottle bill passed, do we still need the bottle deposit program? If we do keep it, the 30+ million that the bottle distributors collect from unredeemed deposits should go towards homeless services.
That is an interesting thought, why can't we just recycle with everything else in the bin? It's not like we are inundated with milk cartons or shipping boxes everywhere because there is no deposit. Cleary people must be pretty good at using the recycle bins. The world is different than it was when bottle returns first came into being (I grew up in New York, with the 5 cent deposit).

Seems like it's momentum is likely maybe more lobbyist-based than wholesome recycling-based. That is a ton of free profit for the bottling industry.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 2:11 PM

Does the Portland 1% gross receipt tax affect Washington Square Mall? I can't easily tell....it's listed as a Portland address (google) but then also appears to be within the boundaries of Tigard.

Anyway, it appears some places near Portland are making retail work. I wonder how much that tax hurts ability of downtown to sustain shopping?

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...moving-in.html

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 4:19 PM

This article does overlook the giant empty Sears store at one end of the mall. However, in fairness, there is a pretty interesting plan for that area that involves hotel and housing.
https://mg2.com/projects/washington-square/

Last edited by colossalorder; Apr 6, 2024 at 6:03 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
Does the Portland 1% gross receipt tax affect Washington Square Mall? I can't easily tell....it's listed as a Portland address (google) but then also appears to be within the boundaries of Tigard.

Anyway, it appears some places near Portland are making retail work. I wonder how much that tax hurts ability of downtown to sustain shopping?

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...moving-in.html
Washington Square is inside the city of Tigard and is not impacted by Portland taxes. Unlike many cities, Portland was never overbuilt with malls so that's helping.somewhat.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 1:29 AM

If I understand correctly, Portland's downtown/waterfront urban renewal zone expired several years ago. Pre-Covid, I'm sure the thinking was "Great now these tax dollars can flow back into the general fund and we don't really need this anymore." In 2017 our city ranked #3 out of some 65 markets for commercial investment opportunity. But now, since we claim the highest US office vacancy rate and the 2nd worst post-Covid "vitality" score, is it time to revisit this idea? Correct me if I'm totally misunderstanding this.

Just read that Buffalo Wild Wings is closing their DT location at 4th/Morrison after almost 20 years. The owner refused to pay rent at the city-owned parking garage property since he said business is down 70% after they closed the garage due to lack of usage, and he claims the city failed to keep his employees safe. Whether this is all warranted or not, seems Portland needs to pull out all the stops to get this part of downtown back on its feet. Ideally this property would just get demolished for housing... James Beard Market ... something.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 3:10 AM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
If I understand correctly, Portland's downtown/waterfront urban renewal zone expired several years ago. Pre-Covid, I'm sure the thinking was "Great now these tax dollars can flow back into the general fund and we don't really need this anymore." In 2017 our city ranked #3 out of some 65 markets for commercial investment opportunity. But now, since we claim the highest US office vacancy rate and the 2nd worst post-Covid "vitality" score, is it time to revisit this idea? Correct me if I'm totally misunderstanding this.

Just read that Buffalo Wild Wings is closing their DT location at 4th/Morrison after almost 20 years. The owner refused to pay rent at the city-owned parking garage property since he said business is down 70% after they closed the garage due to lack of usage, and he claims the city failed to keep his employees safe. Whether this is all warranted or not, seems Portland needs to pull out all the stops to get this part of downtown back on its feet. Ideally this property would just get demolished for housing... James Beard Market ... something.
Will it take a new mayor and a new enlarged city council in January to finally take bold action to revive Downtown?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 5:34 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
Will it take a new mayor and a new enlarged city council in January to finally take bold action to revive Downtown?
Probably. City council is mostly useless without leadership, and Wheeler has been ineffective over 8 years. I see no reason to expect anything different over the next 8 months.

My favorite example of Wheeler's irrelevance was when he joined the 2020 protests to put a stop to the excessive use of tear gas by the police and the feds. Remember what happened?

He got tear gassed. And the crowd was thrilled.

Or how about when protesters started showing up at his condo building in the Pearl, demanding change. Did he address their concerns? Nope. He moved out of the Pearl.

He's ineffective. He's irrelevant. He's a joke that would be funny if he was mayor of somebody else's city.

2024 is a lost cause. I expect no meaningful progress in any regard. The good news is, 2025 is only 8 months away and I have high hopes.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Probably. City council is mostly useless without leadership, and Wheeler has been ineffective over 8 years. I see no reason to expect anything different over the next 8 months.

My favorite example of Wheeler's irrelevance was when he joined the 2020 protests to put a stop to the excessive use of tear gas by the police and the feds. Remember what happened?

Or how about when protesters started showing up at his condo building in the Pearl, demanding change. Did he address their concerns? Nope. He moved out of the Pearl.

He's ineffective. He's irrelevant. He's a joke that would be funny if he was mayor of somebody else's city.

2024 is a lost cause. I expect no meaningful progress in any regard. The good news is, 2025 is only 8 months away and I have high hopes.
Unless your answer is being ok with lowering taxes (out of his control, but he could push it as a leader) or moving people off streets, I don't blame him. Nothing else will be effective.

You don't seriously think a mayor should have given-in to moronic and anti-intellectual rioters that set fire to your condo building...do you? I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

2024 is a lost cause. I expect no meaningful progress in any regard. The good news is,
2025 is only 8 months away and I have high hopes.
I think what some folks are suggesting here is that an urban renewal district could be declared for some of Downtown, as was done decades ago, in order to turbocharge redevelopment of vacant office buildings and kickstart a visionary new Downtown plan that is not focused on new office buildings or massive transit projects. But it will require a different kind of leadership that our city has not seen since Mayors Goldschmidt and Katz. We voters should be leaning on candidates for mayor and city commissioner to hear if they have the necessary vision and ability to get it done.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
I think what some folks are suggesting here is that an urban renewal district could be declared for some of Downtown, as was done decades ago, in order to turbocharge redevelopment of vacant office buildings and kickstart a visionary new Downtown plan that is not focused on new office buildings or massive transit projects. But it will require a different kind of leadership that our city has not seen since Mayors Goldschmidt and Katz. We voters should be leaning on candidates for mayor and city commissioner to hear if they have the necessary vision and ability to get it done.
Right - I think this could be a good tool to kickstart (I know I keep beating a dead horse here) a James Beard Market on the 4th/ Morrison block, topped by affordable housing or something. The whole area between Ankeny Alley and this block should be the primary focus with high rise housing on surface lots, streetscape enhancements, etc. Of course there are much bigger, bolder ideas out there. Hopefully we elect leaders who realize that the current trajectory, pace and urgency is unacceptable and not going to turn the ship around.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Right - I think this could be a good tool to kickstart (I know I keep beating a dead horse here) a James Beard Market on the 4th/ Morrison block, topped by affordable housing or something. The whole area between Ankeny Alley and this block should be the primary focus with high rise housing on surface lots, streetscape enhancements, etc. Of course there are much bigger, bolder ideas out there. Hopefully we elect leaders who realize that the current trajectory, pace and urgency is unacceptable and not going to turn the ship around.
I agree! The task force Kotek set up a few months ago had the market as an agenda item. Not sure where the task force is these days. The James Beard Market site is still alive, just dormant.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopdx View Post
I agree! The task force Kotek set up a few months ago had the market as an agenda item. Not sure where the task force is these days. The James Beard Market site is still alive, just dormant.
Oh I’m glad to hear they are at least talking about it still.

It’s interesting, I know I don’t live DT and I only visit briefly every few weeks but it’s certainly cleaner than a year or two ago. Just quiet. I’m sure we really don’t have any more homeless than nearby peer cities. But Portland has very little housing right downtown - it’s been mostly developed in nearby areas like Pearl and South Waterfront. We also don’t have a Pike Market or Ferry Building or a cruise ship presence etc that on their own attract large numbers of tourists. These things offset the lack of foot traffic from office vacancies, helping a downtown retain an active vibe and maintaining a sense of safety for locals and tourists. We’ve done well attracting visitors over the least decade or so with our food culture etc.. but I think it’s time to think of ways to increase foot traffic all year long. I keep bringing up the Market because it’s these kind of things that can do that. We don’t need to build a ferris wheel or whatever like so many cities do, but it’s to time to realize that we’re living in a time very much like 50 years ago - we can’t just rely on software companies to activate downtown anymore. We need big thinking to compete, once again, with the Beavertons and Vancouvers of the world.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 6:58 PM

Any we can’t rely solely on more housing. I’m not an expert on this but I hear it’s super expensive to transform most office buildings, and logistically not practical. I’m sure there are a few that can happen. But without massive subsidies, sounds like most of the older buildings would have to be torn down and replaced which makes me cringe.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 9:34 PM
Mostly Up To Code

Instead of more tax breaks, I'd love to just see them end IZ in the central city. Too many layers of taxes and breaks, feels like a good time to just simplify.

Anyway as somebody who lives in the Pearl, there's nicer things closer to me here. Doesn't make sense to go downtown and deal with a much worse street situation unless there's an event or something unique going on.

Which probably is the answer: we don't need Buffalo Wild Wings, we need events and stuff! Even that silly little skating rink drew in a crowd.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Any we can’t rely solely on more housing. I’m not an expert on this but I hear it’s super expensive to transform most office buildings, and logistically not practical. I’m sure there are a few that can happen. But without massive subsidies, sounds like most of the older buildings would have to be torn down and replaced which makes me cringe.
It would certainly need to be mixed use. Lower floor(s) as retail, food, small office, etc. and upper floors for housing. I think Vancouver BC has figured some stuff out as they ended 2023 with a downtown office vacancy rate in the 11 percentile, while other Canadian cities were upwards of 19-20%. Portland should look at what they've been doing for ideas.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Just a little tidbit here. World Wide Wings who owns that, and most of the Buffalo Wild Wings locations in the PNW is the same company as Pacific Bells, who is one of the country's largest franchisees of Taco Bell in the Nation. They are based in Vancouver Washington and I have worked for them in the past. I'm not a bit surpised they would do something like stop paying a lease. When I left the company, I ended up part of a class-action lawsuit against them for violating overtime laws for their managers and got a decent payout when it was settled. They are a shady company and treat their employees/managers poorly.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 10:27 PM

Quote:
I just wrote to all of the mayoral candidate campaigns to ask what each of them will do to revive Downtown. I stated that their response to this matter will affect whom I will vote for in the May primary.

I ask for others to write to the mayoral candidates to urge for them to focus on not only dealing with homelessness and street drug use, but also to lead a proactive and visionary plan to revive Downtown.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 12:35 AM

The Portland Central City Task Force in their 12/23 recommendations states
"The Old Multnomah County Courthouse and the original U.S. Bank Building are architectural gems that could house food and entertainment options. And the long-envisioned James Beard Public Market must finally be realized."

More on the task force
https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories...97c19aa1b3c4d8

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
Just a little tidbit here. World Wide Wings who owns that, and most of the Buffalo Wild Wings locations in the PNW is the same company as Pacific Bells, who is one of the country's largest franchisees of Taco Bell in the Nation. They are based in Vancouver Washington and I have worked for them in the past. I'm not a bit surpised they would do something like stop paying a lease. When I left the company, I ended up part of a class-action lawsuit against them for violating overtime laws for their managers and got a decent payout when it was settled. They are a shady company and treat their employees/managers poorly.
Regardless this and Mccormick & Schmicks closing in a matter of a few days is not a great look (especially with the concurrent story of Wash Sq Mall booming at the same time). I'm not a fan of chains, but they are infinitely better than nothing.

I remember 10 years ago being in this area at Rock Bottom, lots of activity, that placed was packed the couple of times I went (not that it was that great). They were a block apart (BWW and RB). Now, nothing. A Nordstrom Rack on that corner that my wife stopped going to a few years ago with too many sketchy people loitering in dark corners of the store made her feel uncomfortable.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland