HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 12:16 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
Vastly excited. I don't know if it's *transformative*, but it's a BFD.
Here's a summary of the changes (written mostly for my own understanding). It's best to understand this as a series of changes that are targeted at specific problems, not a blanket citywide upzoning. These changes should produce more handicap units, more affordable units especially in privileged areas, more units near transit, fewer deconversions in evolving neighborhoods, less parking near transit, and more pedestrian-friendly architecture near train stations.

Of course, when you're creating policy there are tradeoffs to every change you make, so we might see some collateral damage in terms of projects that made sense under the old rules but no longer fit for whatever reason.

Bonus Units (Accessible)

RS-3 (the most common SFH zoning) technically allows 2-flats, but you need an unusually large lot because of Minimum Lot Area - this is a hard density cap that equates to units per acre. You would need a lot that is 5000sf or larger for 2 units in an RS3, but a standard Chicago lot is only 3000' (25x120). There's an existing exception if 60% of the lots on your block have 2 units or more, but it's a real pain to actually use that and it doesn't even apply in most cases.

The new ordinance adds another exception: you can now build a two-flat in RS-3 if it contains a ground-floor fully handicap-accessible unit. In an RT4 district (3-flat zoning) you can now get a 4th unit if it is ground floor, handicap accessible. In RT4, the bonus unit comes with 4' of extra building height, so 4-story buildings are possible assuming 8' ceilings, and does not count toward FAR. These bonus units are available across the city in all RS3/RT4 zones, so the farthest neighborhoods won't get bonus units but pretty much all of the prewar bungalow belt regardless of the gentrification status or proximity to transit.

As an added plus, anybody who builds such an accessible bonus unit will not get hit with an extra parking space requirement. A 2-flat or 4-flat with bonus unit will be able to have just one standard parking space and one accessible space with aisle, no matter where in the city.

Anti-Deconversion

In areas that have denser RT and RM zoning, AND are near transit, AND fall within the city's list of "inclusionary housing areas" - aka gentrifying/transitioning areas - it will now be illegal to build new single-family homes, except on very small lots. This should crack down on the deconversion trend majorly. Of course, it also prevents new single-family homes, so if you've got a vacant lot you've gotta build at least a 2-flat. In the RM areas, usually near the lakefront, 2-flats are also banned so the minimum density is 3 units. These are the community areas on the list:

A similar SFH ban will be put in place for B/C districts, except it applies citywide (not just in certain community areas or near transit). Previously SFH was a special use requiring a variance from Zoning Board of Appeals, now it will be banned outright unless the lot is unusually small.

Parking and Streetscape Changes

Any new building in a B/C zone or a downtown D zone, if it is near a rail station, will need to provide a 50% reduction in parking (or greater), provide full bike parking for all units, and follow the design guidelines for P-Streets, even if the property is not on a P-Street. This should mean better design of apartment buildings - no curb cuts, no blank walls, etc. It's sort of a way to expand the great P-Street program without having to consult individual aldermen or make life difficult for existing building owners. Developers can request permission from city planning staff if there is a special circumstance that requires more parking in a new building.

The TOD parking reductions will be extended to RM districts on an optional basis, and some PMD areas - good news for anyone looking to build a modern 4+1 near the lakefront, or a transit-friendly office building in a PMD.

Bonus Density - Large Buildings

The zoning code already allows bonus density (MLA and FAR) in transit areas, and now the list of eligible bus routes is getting massively expanded to cover most of the city. However, the bonus density will now be conditional on providing affordable housing on-site, with a sliding scale so that 50%, 75%, and 100% affordable on-site unlocks additional density at each step.

Aldermanic Prerogative

Aldermen will still have the power to approve/deny most zoning changes for new development. However, there will now be a ticking clock on zoning changes for large projects if they are located in wealthy areas and either include affordable units on-site mixed with market rate, or are primarily affordable/public housing. The Zoning Committee must vote on the proposal within 1 year of introduction. If they don't vote on it, then it will automatically go to full City Council for a vote.

This doesn't prevent aldermen from acting ugly and voting against it, but now they can't kill these projects quietly and all members of the Zoning Committee/City Council will be made complicit in killing affordable housing.

Misc Changes

The TOD rules now clarify that rail station exits count for distance measurement, as well as entrances. CTA includes a lot of exit-only stairs, and this will only increase in the future as part of CTA's accessibility upgrades.

Some large projects may now be eligible to get bonus floor area for residential units from reducing parking, but the bonus area has to be used for affordable units. This provision is very complicated and I doubt many developers will use it, as every affordable unit is usually a financial net loss.

Buildings that are assisted housing or primarily affordable/public housing units can now get a 100% reduction of parking (no parking at all) without any special permissions, so long as they are near transit.

A change to the way building height is measured will now exempt solar panels from height limits, as well as stair and elevator enclosures associated with a roof deck. This should make it easier for large apartment buildings to provide roof decks and/or solar panels, even if they are already maxing out their height limit.

Last edited by ardecila; Jul 21, 2022 at 12:29 AM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 5:45 AM

That one proposed development in Logan Square at Fullerton & Washtenaw which would build a pair of 5 story buildings across the street from one another - one on a parking lot and one on a 1 story bank - has zoning apps up. Originally it was for 27 units and 27 parking spaces total. Now it's for 35 total units and 32 parking spaces. Height of both buildings to be 65 feet tall.

Anyway I need to wrap my head around this zoning ordinance that passed. I'm upset about the 3 flat part but the rest sounds pretty good. Really curious to see what happens with this. Anyone want to predict now what'll happen?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Here's a summary of the changes (written mostly for my own understanding).

Anti-Deconversion

In areas that have denser RT and RM zoning, AND are near transit, AND fall within the city's list of "inclusionary housing areas" - aka gentrifying/transitioning areas - it will now be illegal to build new single-family homes, except on very small lots. This should crack down on the deconversion trend majorly. Of course, it also prevents new single-family homes, so if you've got a vacant lot you've gotta build at least a 2-flat. In the RM areas, usually near the lakefront, 2-flats are also banned so the minimum density is 3 units. These are the community areas on the list:

thanks for the summary that's a lot to write up!

in terms of the "anti-deconversion" that does not address turning a 3 flat or 2 flat into a single family home using the same building shell (which in my experience is how it's done by most people)

A big miss with this is the existing zoning versus grandfathered zoning. few of those listed areas have widely applied RT4 zoning when looking at the zoning map. Instead they are mostly RS3 with grandfathered existing 2 flats and 3 flats. So when you tear down that grandfathered structure the zoning goes with it, forcing you to build a single family home. The city should have just swaped any grandfathered zoning for permeant status I think.

Also how many single family homes are being built with RT4 zoning? Strangely I've only seen it with Lincoln Park mansions and conversely in the neighborhoods with mostly vacant lots where you build the cheaper housing.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
Also how many single family homes are being built with RT4 zoning? Strangely I've only seen it with Lincoln Park mansions and conversely in the neighborhoods with mostly vacant lots where you build the cheaper housing.
I live in a neighborhood with RS-3 and RT-4 right next to each other. The streets definitely aren't 100% equivalent, but in terms of local amenities they're identical. It would be really interesting to know the relative value of the unimproved land -- my vague sense is that there's a fairly significant difference, but I don't put much weight on that.

On some level all of this seems to basically be about restricting large houses -- RS-3 basically limits you to two stories unless you want low ceilings (and the FAR is low anyway). That makes RT-4 attractive, but now you can't build an SFH on RT-4 in many areas.

So they're increasing freedom to build apartments, but restricting SFHs. That will just lead a certain set of people (rich ones with kids) to leave the city for the suburbs, or make them all cluster in areas where single-family on RT-4 is allowed (or buy a double or triple lot in RS-3). This is just an illustration of one of the usual side-effects of anti-gentrification initiatives, which is that they encourage self-segregation.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 2:57 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
in terms of the "anti-deconversion" that does not address turning a 3 flat or 2 flat into a single family home using the same building shell (which in my experience is how it's done by most people)
Yes it does. If you are in an area covered by the new ordinance, your building permit will be rejected if you are proposing to turn a 3-flat into an SFH, whether it's a teardown or a remodel.

Quote:
A big miss with this is the existing zoning versus grandfathered zoning. few of those listed areas have widely applied RT4 zoning when looking at the zoning map. Instead they are mostly RS3 with grandfathered existing 2 flats and 3 flats. So when you tear down that grandfathered structure the zoning goes with it, forcing you to build a single family home. The city should have just swaped any grandfathered zoning for permeant status I think.
Yes, the prevalence of RS-3 zoning will limit the impact of this provision except in six community areas: West Town/west half, Near West Side, East Garfield Park, Lower West Side, Douglas, Woodlawn are mostly RT4 or higher.

There was a deleted provision that would have allowed new 3-flats in RS3 near transit, so you could tear down and replace in kind, unfortunately this was deleted at the request of Tom Tunney.

Permanent zoning map amendments are really hard to do, you have to get every individual alderman on board and usually NIMBY-laden community groups as well. Politically, it's easier to change the zoning rules than the zoning map because individual alderman can vote for it and deflect the blame.

Quote:
I agree, I don't know if this is a huge problem. The areas with new SFH going up tend to be RS3 already, like along the 606, parts of Bucktown, Logan Square, North Center, etc.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Yes it does. If you are in an area covered by the new ordinance, your building permit will be rejected if you are proposing to turn a 3-flat into an SFH, whether it's a teardown or a remodel.
interesting, I didnt realize that "deconversion" was a building permit that people would file for. Given the tactical components of a remodel I assumed you would just file a plumbing permit and an electrical permit etc etc

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 3:41 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
interesting, I didnt realize that "deconversion" was a building permit that people would file for. Given the tactical components of a remodel I assumed you would just file a plumbing permit and an electrical permit etc etc
You could just remodel and occupy all units, but you would still be taxed as if it was a multi-unit building without changing the zoning.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
You could just remodel and occupy all units, but you would still be taxed as if it was a multi-unit building without changing the zoning.
this is what people I know have done. you still have 2 electric meters in some cases. maybe it's a loop hole?

assuming you mean property taxes, in which case single family home and apartment buildings up to 6 units are taxed at the same rate residential rate, which is 10% of assessed value

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 5:07 PM
TL;DR

Sure, you can do work illegally with trade permits or repair/replace permits, or no permits at all (lots of contractors do) but legally you're supposed to have a full building permit for a deconversion.

At the high end of the market, I don't know if buyers will pay top dollar for a slapdash SFH conversion of a 2-flat with shitty tenement apartment floorplans and two sets of electric/gas/water bills. Even if there's still a way to do it illegally, the quality of the illegal deconversions will suppress demand and prices and lead to a lot fewer deconversions overall, at least in the RT/RM zoning districts.

I think more likely is a "faux deconversion" where you basically build an SFH with a small granny flat lock-off in the garden level that you can use for grannies, au pairs, guests, teenage kids or Airbnb. Or just leave it vacant and fill it with boxes of shoes from your Neiman's charge account.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 1:34 AM

New 5 story, 58 unit + ground floor retail issued for the vacant lot at 63rd and Maryland in Woodlawn, near a train stop.

More current situation:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Th...3!4d-87.604924

Will become this (via https://www.hpherald.com/evening_dig...31c433646.html)

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 1:36 AM
Chicago

732 W Randolph

July 18, 2022

July 21, 2022

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 6:11 PM
Show me the blueprints

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 3:11 PM

Anybody know what happened to the Chicago Architecture Blog (chicagoarchitecture.org)? It's been quiet for months and now redirects to BKL Architecture.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasylirion View Post
Anybody know what happened to the Chicago Architecture Blog (chicagoarchitecture.org)? It's been quiet for months and now redirects to BKL Architecture.
Last I heard the editor was stepping back due to health and was trying to sell the domain. While it's great that he found a buyer, it's a shame the entire blog archive has disappeared.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 6:45 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Last I heard the editor was stepping back due to health and was trying to sell the domain. While it's great that he found a buyer, it's a shame the entire blog archive has disappeared.
Probably you can use https://web.archive.org/web/20220402...hitecture.org/ though not sure everything will work.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Probably you can use https://web.archive.org/web/20220402...hitecture.org/ though not sure everything will work.
Thank you! God bless the way back machine.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 2:40 AM
Rust Belt Motherland

I believe this is the future site of that double decker warehouse on Division near the river. The Peoples Gas warehouse has been gone for a while and now the parking lot is being torn up. Didn't get the best shots from a moving Metra train.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 2:51 AM
Rust Belt Motherland

Road reconstruction on Clinton near the OPO (with the Holiday Inn in the background)

Also, check out this video on twitter showing the street completely open on the Harrison St side (I believe) https://twitter.com/bikelaneuprise/s...70360412045312

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 4:04 AM

Is that road reconstruction for a new road or a pedestrian area? To me that seems to close to the building and not connected to other roads to be a road.

Edit: based on that Twitter I Was looking at it in the wrong area

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 4:39 AM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
Is that road reconstruction for a new road or a pedestrian area? To me that seems to close to the building and not connected to other roads to be a road.

Edit: based on that Twitter I Was looking at it in the wrong area
The road is being rebuilt on the west and south side of OPO right now. Along Canal (to the west of OPO), it is a sort of access road (split in half by the highway) that probably used to be loading docks for the post office. The video I posted from twitter is Harrison to the South of OPO. Hopefully that answers your question.

Last edited by Klippenstein; Jul 28, 2022 at 8:45 PM. Reason: Canal not Clinton

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development