HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
That's not right... it looks out of place because it looks East Asian. Clearly the tall buildings going up in NY and Dubai have a different vibe to what's going up in China. I refuse to believe that because a dozen or so similar towers are going up in China that this is now the global standard of modernity. They could put something better up that more represents Chicago and specifically the Tribune Tower.
I don't want something that represents Chicago. I want Chicago to represent the world. The more diversity we have in our architecture the better. I suppose we will just have to agree to disagree.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 6:21 PM

Quote:
That's not right... it looks out of place because it looks East Asian. Clearly the tall buildings going up in NY and Dubai have a different vibe to what's going up in China. I refuse to believe that because a dozen or so similar towers are going up in China that this is now the global standard of modernity. They could put something better up that more represents Chicago and specifically the Tribune Tower.
While Chicago has certain styles, its also a city for the last 140 or so years has been defined by a certain type of evolution.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 6:34 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
I don't want something that represents Chicago. I want Chicago to represent the world.
Recent Batman films have been shot in Chicago

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 6:47 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
They could put something better up that more represents Chicago
Understandable, but then there's this viewpoint as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsted & Villagio View Post
Lets face it, as great as the Chicago skyline is, it has gotten a little stale of late. A few needles mixed in with the iconic boxes will do wonders... and will help bring the year 2035 I'Robot (movie) Chicago skyline to life.
If we keep putting up only buildings that endlessly evoke the styles of existing buildings, we don't really enhance the skyline. Bulking up the skyline is great, but so is adding some variety. Chicago is very much a box dominated skyline, but that doesn't mean we can't have curves at all. I think Trump Tower showed us that flowing curves work well within the confines of the city's Miesian architectural heritage.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 6:47 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
I don't want something that represents Chicago. I want Chicago to represent the world. The more diversity we have in our architecture the better. I suppose we will just have to agree to disagree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
While Chicago has certain styles, its also a city for the last 140 or so years has been defined by a certain type of evolution.
I am of the belief that Chicago should be one of the leaders of architectural innovation and design. Not copying China.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Recent Batman films have been shot in Chicago
And an awesome scene in Hong Kong...
also, for the name...

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 6:53 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Understandable, but then there's this viewpoint as well:

If we keep putting up only buildings that endlessly evoke the styles of existing buildings, we don't really enhance the skyline. Bulking up the skyline is great, but so is adding some variety. Chicago is very much a box dominated skyline, but that doesn't mean we can't have curves at all. I think Trump Tower showed us that flowing curves work well within the confines of the city's Miesian architectural heritage.
The Marinas Towers, Trump Tower, and even the Spire when it was a possibility shows that Chicago can do curves. Though I'd prefer the design more resembled a boxier format, my issue is not a building with curves, my issue is that we're putting a building that looks like we plucked it out of China and are putting it here instead of innovating and being more representative of ourselves as a city. Seriously with the amount of money going into this project this is the best they could come up with?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 6:58 PM

Quote:
I am of the belief that Chicago should be one of the leaders of architectural innovation and design. Not copying China.
How many of the Asian supertalls that you rail against were actually designed by Chicago architecture firms?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 7:00 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
How many of the Asian supertalls that you rail against were actually designed by Chicago architecture firms?
Those buildings were designed to meet the needs and culture of their clients. I'm not going to "rail" against them because they work for China and have clearly given China their modern image. I was a big fan of the Ping An Finance Centre back when it had that Chrysler Building style spire on it.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 7:00 PM

Quote:
It’s hard to say that the West is copying China when it’s western architects designing all their buildings. It’s more fair to say that these designs are all copying each other.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 7:04 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
It’s hard to say that the West is copying China when it’s western architects designing all their buildings. It’s more fair to say that these designs are all copying each other.
Buildings typically only have so many shapes, so sure, they're all derivative of each other. But there's obvious regional preferences and this building lends itself from the regional preferences of Southeast Asia.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Except for China has some extremely out there designs that don't get any press in the US that I've seen first hand. Things that wouldn't even see the light of day in the US for at least 15+ years here even proposal wise. Also, what you see as far as the parallels to China are their showpieces which many of them happen to be designed by US firms, many of them from Chicago actually. Your average residential tower in a city like Chicago design wise is still better than your average residential tower in a city like Shanghai. If you've actually been to China recently, you'll know exactly what I'm saying. These other supertalls are their showpieces and while not totally unique, what you see with this proposal is a hell of a lot better than your average building in China.

This is more of Adrian Smith copying themselves or other cohort firms more than anything else. And while it sucks it's not totally unique to the world, it's still unique to the US and represents an evolution of Chicago's skyline 100%.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 7:07 PM

That's the problem with the International style architecture onward, it's rootless, it's international. It could be built anywhere. Unless there's an effort to take a motif or silhouette from the city it's built in, it won't reflect the city its built in.

Which brings us to the next problem of contemporary architecture, when developers aim for an "iconic" building, they're looking for a building that is unique, that doesn't look like a tower in China. You end up with a building that doesn't reflect where its built, you get an over-the-top one-off and hope that it eventually defines the skyline.

Having said that, look at Salesforce in San Francisco. It's boring, it's generic, but it still adds a lot to the skyline. Better a team player than a showboater.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 7:15 PM

So you guys were giving shit to the supertalls being built in China when they were being constructed, as if the US is constructing anything better? Unless you think making an 800 foot tall tower and cutting a 5 story angled wedge in the top is somehow architecturally cutting edge or a 1300 for tall thin box is somehow more architecturally exciting.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 7:16 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Also, what you see as far as the parallels to China are their showpieces which many of them happen to be designed by US firms, many of them from Chicago actually.
I'm well aware of that - those Chicago firms were catering specifically to their clients. They've also done work in Dubai and NYC and provide variety based on locale.

Quote:
This is more of Adrian Smith copying themselves or other cohort firms more than anything else. And while it sucks it's not totally unique to the world, it's still unique to the US and represents an evolution of Chicago's skyline 100%.
Evolution by copying China. Sure, and now all Hong Kong needs is an Empire State Building and Sears Tower clone so they can continue to evolve...

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 7:19 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
That's the problem with the International style architecture onward, it's rootless, it's international. It could be built anywhere. Unless there's an effort to take a motif or silhouette from the city it's built in, it won't reflect the city its built in.

Which brings us to the next problem of contemporary architecture, when developers aim for an "iconic" building, they're looking for a building that is unique, that doesn't look like a tower in China. You end up with a building that doesn't reflect where its built, you get an over-the-top one-off and hope that it eventually defines the skyline.

Having said that, look at Salesforce in San Francisco. It's boring, it's generic, but it still adds a lot to the skyline. Better a team player than a showboater.

Seems like they did not want to take that extra effort with this building. I was almost sold that the crown was an homage to a gothic arch, and thus an homage to the original Tribune Tower, but I think it's a serious stretch trying to claim that's the case.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 7:25 PM
BANNED

I agree that Chicago should be at the forefront of architecture and design, but the only firm that seems to take any chances is Studio Gang, love them or hate them. bKL gets lots of points too for consistently seamless projects, though nothing that really pushes design forward nationally. By no means am I singling out Chicago. Most of the stuff going up in NYC, in either Hudson Yards or on 57th, is soulless at best and lavishly garish shlock for newly minted billionaires at worst.

So much of this just comes down to a lack of vision and a lack of demand for it. Our culture at large is fundamentally based on quick and easy stimulation and cheap imitation. I don't even know if its anyone's fault. Globalization has just made it too easy to be lazy.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 7:27 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
but I think it's a serious stretch trying to claim that's the case.
i don't think that's a stretch at all.

it seems to me that the implied pointed arch is 100% fully intentional as an homage to tribune tower's neo-gothic styling.

whether you like it or not is an entirely different matter, but the architects involved here are intelligent enough to be aware of what they're doing.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 17, 2018 at 7:40 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 7:35 PM

I still think the building is great. Not only that but the area will benefit amazingly. if this tower was just another 500-600 footer Cityfront Plaza would probably feel like any other boulevard in the greater downtown area. With this tower, and the activity it hopes to provide we could see that small area become a new hotspot, which I think is more important than the building being VAGUELY reminiscent of Asian supertalls. but then again Id like to point out that if rectangular towers (most towers) can look different and bring distinct characteristics to the city, then tapered towers can too. Besides, I enjoy the gentile curves mixed with the vertical fins. It is a good combination of what already exists in the area, modern curving residential towers (465 N Park, Gleacher Center, The Fairbanks) and more vertically expressed office towers (NBC Tower, 401 N Michigan. While it is different from other tall towers in the skyline it takes that characteristics of the area it is in and brings them to the sky.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 7:38 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i don't think that's a stretch at all.

it seems to me that the implied gothic arch is 100% fully intentional as an homage to tribune tower's neo-gothic styling.

whether you like it or not is an entirely different matter, but the architects involved here are intelligent enough to be aware of what they're doing.
I have no doubt they are intelligent enough. Did the architects officially announce that was their intention? Because until I see that, I'm chalking it up to coincidence and wishful thinking that it somewhat has a gothic arch to it if you continue the lines.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals