cle/west village/shaolin

more parking taken out for 500 secure bike hubs on the way —

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6wkMNMy...AxaG5xNWw4NQ==

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 3:01 PM
Show me the blueprints

The graffitists must be salivating.

Goodbye box truck. Hello bike box.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Last edited by Busy Bee; May 10, 2024 at 4:26 PM.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 8:10 PM

I like it but that vegetation on the top is going to be nasty pretty quick.

Old Posted May 12, 2024, 12:26 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

the state comptroller rakes thru the mta finances and it ain't pretty --

MTA faces funding issues, capital project delays threaten future plans

By Mac Sorensen
Posted on May 9, 2024

New York state has provided financial support to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) to stabilize its finances, but the transit authority is now facing challenges with its capital program due to funding issues, according to a report released by State Comptroller Thomas P. DiNapoli. The MTA’s capital work, crucial for maintaining and upgrading the regional transit system, has been delayed, potentially affecting future plans and the quality of service for riders.

more:
https://www.amny.com/transit/mta-fac...-future-plans/

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 9:05 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 4:34 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
Thanks, nice & informative short video.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 4:56 PM
Show me the blueprints

I might be somewhat alone on this but I really wish the LIRR would play up the banana yellow. If they ever decide to join the rest of the planet and lose the stainless steel that turns them into tanks 30% heavier than they need to be, they could have painted carbodies. Would be cool to see an entire yellow or black and yellow train streak by. Besides easily being the least aesthetically pleasing model in the Metropolitan series, I was very disappointed to not even see the bonnets on the new M9 painted solid yellow.

Didn't happen as intended:

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 6:11 PM
No grabbing my banana!

^ If not stainless steel, which metal would you recommend and why?

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 6:49 PM
Show me the blueprints

Virtually all international rolling stock is either lightweight carbon steel or aluminum/aluminum alloy or even beginning to dabble in carbon fiber/composites (especially in HSR trainsets). SS is heavy. SS carbodies might be lower maintenance but they contribute to less efficient operation due to power consumption and wear on track.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 1:16 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ yeah, for sure it would be better to have a lighter, more colorful lirr fleet. good news is i can imagine that happening at some point. but first bring back the bar carts lol.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 1:20 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

if congestion pricing gets blown up by the courts —> bzzzt for capital work:

MTA boss Lieber: ‘No Plan B’ for transit construction priorities if congestion pricing loses in court

By Ben Brachfeld
Posted on May 12, 2024

https://www.amny.com/transit/mta-lie...stion-pricing/

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 1:23 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

go get’em while there are still metrocards —

Ice Spice MetroCards available to commemorate Bronx rapper’s forthcoming debut album

By Ben Brachfeld
Posted on May 12, 2024

more:
https://www.amny.com/transit/ice-spi...rds-available/

The MTA is selling 50,000 MetroCards commemorating Bronx rapper Ice Spice ahead of the release of her debut album. MTA

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 3:08 PM
Show me the blueprints

Desperate entrepreneurs flipping them on ebay as we speak.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 6:45 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

celebration as nj gateway portal bridge project reaches 50% completion --

Elected officials, transportation leaders celebrate North Portal Bridge reaching 50% completion milestone

ByTom Bergeron(North Jersey) - May 14, 2024

After years of delays — and, quite frankly, decades of worries that the massive Gateway Tunnel project would ever come to be — the announcement Monday that the Portal North Bridge project was 50% finished was worthy of a celebration.

That’s why numerous elected officials and transportation leaders gathered Monday in Kearny to mark the occasion at a ceremony at the construction site.

The new bridge will replace the current 114-year-old swing bridge, which opens for maritime traffic, often resulting in a bottleneck along the busiest stretch of passenger rail in the country. The new bridge is a fixed span that eliminates the need to open and close.

U.S. Rep. Bill Pascrell Jr. (D-9th Dist.) was so excited, he nearly broke out into song.

“New Jersey’s own Bon Jovi sang about being ‘halfway there,’” he said. “But we are not living on any prayer: This new bridge is a reality.”

Pascrell said the impact of the bridge cannot be overstated.

“The primary purpose of government is to improve the daily lives of our neighbors,” he said. “When it is soon finished, this new bridge will better the lives of millions of our neighbors. Leadership matters. President (Joe) Biden, Gov. (Phil) Murphy, our delegation in Congress and state leaders have worked hand-in-hand and we have delivered as a team. I cannot wait to be right here to cut the ribbon to this great bridge to our state’s bright future.”

The Portal North Bridge is a new modern two-track, high-level, fixed-span bridge that will improve service and capacity along this section of the Northeast Corridor. The new Portal North Bridge will rise 50 feet over the Hackensack River, nearly doubling the height clearance, and will allow marine traffic to pass underneath without interrupting rail traffic.

The project is being funded by the U.S. Department of Transportation, New Jersey, New York and Amtrak.

more:
https://www.roi-nj.com/2024/05/14/in...ion-milestone/

Celebrating the milestone are, from left, Jerry Keenan of New Jersey Alliance for Action, Balpreet Grewal-Virk of the Gateway Development Commission, Kevin Corbett of New Jersey Transit, Janine Bauer of the Gateway Development Commission, Tony Coscia of Amtrak, Stephen Gardner of Amtrak, Kris Kolluri of the Gateway Development Commission, Amit Bose of the Federal Railroad Administration and Michael Culotta of the U.S. Department of Transportation. - Gateway Development Commission

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 3:46 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Virtually all international rolling stock is either lightweight carbon steel or aluminum/aluminum alloy or even beginning to dabble in carbon fiber/composites (especially in HSR trainsets). SS is heavy. SS carbodies might be lower maintenance but they contribute to less efficient operation due to power consumption and wear on track.
Thanks! AFAIK, the main benefits for SS are its corrosion resistance (especially near saltwater), its ability to be used mostly bare without the need to paint & maintain paint, and relative ease of removing graffiti. I would imagine that more composites would be used as they are being developed.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 5:42 PM

Now, start getting financing for the Portal South Bridge lined up.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 10:43 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

thats about it for promo metrocards as the card swipe fades into history —

MTA will end promotional MetroCards as retirement and replacement by OMNY beckons

By Ben Brachfeld
Posted on May 15, 2024

The MTA is set to end promotional opportunities emblazoned on MetroCards, as the yellow transit payment method faces imminent retirement and replacement by OMNY.

The agency on Tuesday said it was offering advertisers just two more chances to capture the eyes of New Yorkers on their MetroCards for limited-edition promotions, which have previously celebrated 400 separate New York icons like David Bowie, Biggie Smalls, KISS, Law & Order: SVU, and most recently Ice Spice, who at 24 years of age is younger than the MetroCard itself.

https://www.amny.com/transit/mta-end...trocards-omny/

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 11:38 AM

From LIRR twitter:

Exciting news!

Yesterday we carried 260,745 riders, a new single weekday record since the pandemic.

We also saw 41% of our Manhattan-bound riders choose Grand Central Madison, the highest split with Penn Station since it opened for full service last year.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 12:35 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 5:22 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

jobs, they got jobs …

The MTA is hiring: Hundreds of jobs available in New York City on the agency’s website

Jonathan Rizk

NEW YORK (PIX11) — New York City was home to around 188,800 unemployed people in March, according to a report released by the New York Department of Labor last month. However, hundreds of open positions are available on the MTA’s website, with new job listings being added almost daily.

The MTA’s career website has 517 active job listings, and not all of them are in New York City. The MTA is offering positions in Connecticut and White Plains as well as some jobs with various locations, according to the website.

more:
https://pix11.com/news/local-news/th...s-website/amp/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation