HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 2:53 PM

Yes, let's make birds lose a trait that they've evolved over thousands of years just so we can keep our lights on for a few extra weeks for vanity's sake

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmmcnam2 View Post
Yes, let's make birds lose a trait that they've evolved over thousands of years just so we can keep our lights on for a few extra weeks for vanity's sake
They are not losing a trait, they would be gaining a trait....the wonderfully useful trait of learning how not to fly into huge objects. Wouldn't leaving the lights on at night HELP the birds see the antenna? Pretty sure most birds die by hitting the buildings themselves.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 3:02 PM

Bird / building collision is a major issue and while I could put in a dozen websites about the problem, I will put just one, from the Building Owners and Managers Association of Chicago website - https://www.bomachicago.org/news/lig...igratory-birds

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 3:14 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
They are not losing a trait, they would be gaining a trait....the wonderfully useful trait of learning how not to fly into huge objects. Wouldn't leaving the lights on at night HELP the birds see the antenna? Pretty sure most birds die by hitting the buildings themselves.
Chicago (and other city cores) are geographically small, the birds don't spend the majority of their time here and songbirds only have a 50% chance of living past two years in the wild anyway. I'm not sure the culling of songbirds on downtown highrises is such an existential threat that it will spur evolution.

After all, the majority of birds don't fly through Chicago and they are the bulk of the gene pool.

Touchy-feely animal loving aside, it's really just more a sanitation issue IMO. I'm not sure I want a bunch of dead birds on rooftops, balconies, sidewalks, etc where they can attract other pests and pose a building maintenance problem.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 3:34 PM

https://www.citylab.com/design/2012/...yscraper/3694/

Quote:
Birds are attracted to light, and lights in reflection – as with this Chicago nightscape – can be tremendously disorienting. Even when office towers dim their lights during migratory season, birds are still drawn to antennas.

"They’ll fly around the antenna, around the antenna, around the antenna," Keller says. "And they sort of get trapped in these beams of light. They don’t want to fly back out into the dark again, and they’ll actually die of exhaustion."

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
interesting stuff... ty

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
interesting stuff... ty
and, from the article, good to know about Flint Creek. I had wondered about such a location in this area.
http://www.flintcreekwildlife.org/about/locations/

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 1:45 PM

Sears Tower - new base

June 9

The edge of the building - and Lower Wacker

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 3:37 PM

It looks like the Johnson Publishing Building got a building permit a few weeks ago to convert officially to 150 units + retail/office on the ground floor and basement parking.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 7:54 PM

321 N Clark

June 6

June 8

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 12:15 AM
Chicago

202-220 S State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvn View Post
Any updates on 202/220 S. State St.?

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/6/1/...ilding-chicago
June 11, 2018

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 12:15 AM
Chicago

Columbia College Student Center - 728 S Wabash

June 11, 2018

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 1:56 AM

Dumb irrelevant question, I know:

I take hundreds of pictures of the city and would love to share them on varies threads. But, how do you post pics on here. Do I have to embed photos or something?

Don't make fun lol I'm an avid skyscraper nerd. I've just always been a lurker on this site.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMWChicago View Post

I take hundreds of pictures of the city and would love to share them on varies threads. But, how do you post pics on here. Do I have to embed photos or something?

Don't make fun lol I'm an avid skyscraper nerd. I've just always been a lurker on this site.
Very valid question as I had the same one about a month ago and the kind folks on this forum were quick to help.

You have to upload them to a hosting site (I use imgur) where you can resize them and make edits. Then you need to copy and paste the direct link from imgur to the mountain and sun icon on this forum. I'm not the best with technology so if I missed a step or forgot something somebody will chime in I'm sure. Good luck and we are excited to see your pictures!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMWChicago View Post

You put the images up on a hosting site, and then put the links in the posts on this site.

I use Flickr (free) - the upload button is pretty clear, then go to "camera roll" find the photo - click on it so it is large - r-click and "copy image address" - then on this site reply to thread - hit the little "insert image" button - CTRL-V to paste, and then post.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 2:43 AM
Urbane observer

An additional note: modern digicams give you enormous pictures. You probably want to post a version that's less than 1000 pixels wide.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
An additional note: modern digicams give you enormous pictures. You probably want to post a version that's less than 1000 pixels wide.
It (usually) helps to add an "h" to the end of the URL (but right before ".jpg") and that will size the picture so that it fits nicely onto the forum.

For example, if the imgur link you are given is the following: "https://i.imgur.com/1pZJ0rk.jpg" then add an "h" to the end of it so it looks like this: "https://i.imgur.com/1pZJ0rkh.jpg"

That should change the size from gigantic (which messes up all our screens) to monitor-friendly.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 1:52 AM

Article tonight about the Congress Theater moving forward. Thought this was already baked but looks like now it is official

https://chicago.suntimes.com/busines...ddie-carranza/

Now let's figure out Uptown

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 2:47 AM

Congress is taking literally every public incentive available and is a $70 million project. Just imagine what the Uptown would take...

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
You put the images up on a hosting site, and then put the links in the posts on this site.

I use Flickr (free) - the upload button is pretty clear, then go to "camera roll" find the photo - click on it so it is large - r-click and "copy image address" - then on this site reply to thread - hit the little "insert image" button - CTRL-V to paste, and then post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
Very valid question as I had the same one about a month ago and the kind folks on this forum were quick to help.

You have to upload them to a hosting site (I use imgur) where you can resize them and make edits. Then you need to copy and paste the direct link from imgur to the mountain and sun icon on this forum. I'm not the best with technology so if I missed a step or forgot something somebody will chime in I'm sure. Good luck and we are excited to see your pictures!
Thanks!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development