HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
On one hand we've had some pretty awesome projects this cycle but unfortunately on the other some of the coolest proposals never seem to have made it. Proposals are never a guarantee anywhere, I guess. Even in NYC or in Asia.

I see your point though, I get frustrated when some random 3rd world city can build a 400+ meter tower but anywhere outside of NYC seems to struggle in the US with decently tall buildings (with a few exceptions).

Chicago seems to be coming out of a cycle, that's why I asked if projects ever carry over or if developers ever hold onto a site for ~10 years. I would think they wouldn't but who knows...

Maybe in better times we'll finally see Tribune / Parcel I / 400LSD / 78 site see the light of day. Or maybe, crazy enough, we'll see new very tall proposals.
I think Parcel I design will stay the same when it's eventually built. But 400 LSD and Tribune are up in the air. It's a bummer because I really hoped Tribune East would've had a great chance of being built due to St. Regis and the renovation at Tribune going well.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 8:13 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive View Post
I think Parcel I design will stay the same when it's eventually built. But 400 LSD and Tribune are up in the air. It's a bummer because I really hoped Tribune East would've had a great chance of being built due to St. Regis and the renovation at Tribune going well.
I don't see Parcel I on their website but maybe not everyone posts proposals.

Tribune is beyond depressing if the rumors are true, 400LSD hole is a total gap and needs to be filled. While the project is underwhelming by Chicago's standards it's better than nothing, although I get sick of accepting mediocrity.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 8:32 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
400LSD hole is a total gap and needs to be filled. While the project is underwhelming by Chicago's standards it's better than nothing, although I get sick of accepting mediocrity.
I'm actually quite enamored with the "cascading waterfall" design of the current 400 N LSD twin tower proposal.

It's nothing close to mediocre in my eyes.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 9:37 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
I'm actually quite enamored with the "cascading waterfall" design of the current 400 N LSD twin tower proposal.

It's nothing close to mediocre in my eyes.

The design is fine (actually pretty cool), I'm mostly referring to the height.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 10:02 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Me too. It's kind of a take on the dead Waldorf Astoria proposal the way it ascends/descends.

I also like how the towers relate to each other.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 10:13 PM

If everything at the mouth of the river gets built CLOSE to planned i would be very pleased. I like the designs. The Tribune site though is THE most important...that needs to be built same as they said. That in that spot just changes EVERYTHING for our Skyline. I love that design.

Last edited by Chi-Sky21; Oct 7, 2022 at 7:22 PM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 3:47 AM
BANNED

i'm afraid the tribune plan gets cancelled and they instead build some generic garbage 600 ft glass residential tower there instead

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 3:29 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
i'm afraid the tribune plan gets cancelled and they instead build some generic garbage 600 ft glass residential tower there instead
I am still hopeful, although what you mentioned seems to happen more often than not when these larger projects languish. Let's hope the developers keep the plans they have and execute it in the next economic expansion... assuming a recession is coming. maybe. this economy is weird af.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
if they dare to do that, we need to attend the meeting for it and call out the developer and tell them to build the Tribune East tower instead. Put pressure on them to make sure nothing generic gets built here.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
Me too. It's kind of a take on the dead Waldorf Astoria proposal the way it ascends/descends.

I also like how the towers relate to each other.
Oh man, this is a such a nice design. Too bad it didn't get built. It was 1,200 feet in height right?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 9:36 PM

With the cost of borrowing and materials skyrocketing there is slim to nil chance Tribune Tower East moves forward as previously envisioned anytime soon. About the only thing that might pencil out in this spot over next year or two is a generic ~500ft apartment tower.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 10:36 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive View Post
Oh man, this is a such a nice design. Too bad it didn't get built. It was 1,200 feet in height right?
Yeah, a little over 1000 to the top floor and 1200 to the top. Something like that. It really was a sleek design. Definitely a good looking glass curtain wall.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 2:22 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
With the cost of borrowing and materials skyrocketing there is slim to nil chance Tribune Tower East moves forward as previously envisioned anytime soon. About the only thing that might pencil out in this spot over next year or two is a generic ~500ft apartment tower.
I'd rather wait several years for even another 300+ meter building than for that to happen. If that were true then probably nothing is getting built over the next year or two.

I get sick of mediocrity and blown opportunities. Mexico, Brazil and Egypt all have buildings at or near the 400 range either U/C or under serious consideration but Chicago can't?

I guess construction costs are cheaper in those places but is that really the only reason?

Quote:
It's kind of a take on the dead Waldorf Astoria proposal the way it ascends/descends.
I'd much prefer that over the current 400LSD proposal. Reminds me of SWFC but without the hole.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 5:23 PM
BANNED

The 400 LSD design is fine, i like the twin towers. Just dislike the height. Literal prime location, no reason for it not to be a supertall. Save the 600 feet towers for the West/South Loop.

I really hope 1000M isn't the last 800 ft+ tower Chicago gets for awhile. This is Chicago, best skyline in America, a building doesn't get into that skyline changing range until bout that 700-800 ft range here. I mean Salesforce is 850 ft and barely peaks out in the skyline (from the lake atleast).

I keep up with developments in other city and see that cities like NYC, Miami, even fucking Austin has multiple supertalls in the pipeline, Chicago needs atleast another one. Believe it or not, Chicago was literally keeping up with New York skyscraper wise until the 2010s decade. Chicago defintely produced some great towers that decade, but New York absolutely exploded development wise and left the city in the dust.

Anyway, i'm optimistic...i'm bullish on Chicago and definitely see a bright future for construction this decade..

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 7:44 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Anyway, i'm optimistic...i'm bullish on Chicago and definitely see a bright future for construction this decade..
Based on... ?

It's kind of like post vacation blues coming out of this cycle. Chicago built some great projects but seemingly nothing in the pipeline for a while.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Based on... ?

It's kind of like post vacation blues coming out of this cycle. Chicago built some great projects but seemingly nothing in the pipeline for a while.
As mentioned previously, costs are skyrocketing and most big players are expecting a recession to develop, so it's not surprising we aren't seeing any risky big proposals being announced right now.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:

I get sick of mediocrity and blown opportunities. Mexico, Brazil and Egypt all have buildings at or near the 400 range either U/C or under serious consideration but Chicago can't?
Mexico, Brazil and Egypt are all major world economies, Chicago is a city. Chill

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 5:38 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by southoftheloop View Post
Mexico, Brazil and Egypt are all major world economies, Chicago is a city. Chill
Should've compared the cities they were being built in and not the countries but the point still stands. The US is a more major economy so it could be doing better, although I guess the downside of this is increased construction costs.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 8:25 PM

Mr. Chicago here,
I know it may seem pointless and yes that garage could have used more lighting and a painting but it was part of an architecture very symbolic of a different time and a different Chicago. Modernity was functional, open and brought life to the machine age. I know Fulton Market will look good, (it already does), but talk to the architectural historian of the future and even an anthropologist decades from now and explain the meaning of buildings going up right now. Well there are other projects around and for me Chicago is still a magic place. Besides there are more important issues, e.g. Banana Republic is closing its Mag. Mile location I hear. I still say international Mag. Mile is the way to go.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chicago View Post
Mr. Chicago here,
I know it may seem pointless and yes that garage could have used more lighting and a painting but it was part of an architecture very symbolic of a different time and a different Chicago. Modernity was functional, open and brought life to the machine age. I know Fulton Market will look good, (it already does), but talk to the architectural historian of the future and even an anthropologist decades from now and explain the meaning of buildings going up right now. Well there are other projects around and for me Chicago is still a magic place. Besides there are more important issues, e.g. Banana Republic is closing its Mag. Mile location I hear. I still say international Mag. Mile is the way to go.
Retail closures are bad, but I wouldn’t say that serious of an issue since there will always be new stores to replace it. Gap brands have not been doing well. Doesn’t help that BR was the go-to affordable clothing store for business casual before the pandemic. Even returning to work a few days a week, the dress code has really become far more casual with my peers. Magnificent mile was mall stores for decades. It’s finally getting over that and will eventually be something different and possibly better. Now the south end of state street, that needs help

As for the parking garage, it’s limited in its function. Functional modernity means it could be converted to something else. That garage was crudely built, the formwork sloppy and it’s incapable of being adapted or supporting heavier floor loads to become any other purpose. Demolish it so we can say we did something correct for urbanity when the anthropologists look back

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest