HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 9:54 PM

Unfortunate news - my wife and I were at the New JSQ neighborhood association meeting today. Mayor Fulop and Council Boggiano were both there. I missed it when he spoke about this, but according to my wife Fulop mentioned that changes to the Journal Sq master plan would be going through this year that would limit height and density. Don't have any more details, but stay tuned...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
Unfortunate news - my wife and I were at the New JSQ neighborhood association meeting today. Mayor Fulop and Council Boggiano were both there. I missed it when he spoke about this, but according to my wife Fulop mentioned that changes to the Journal Sq master plan would be going through this year that would limit height and density. Don't have any more details, but stay tuned...
It sounds frustrating but hopefully I won't screw up the planned buildings right along the square(the remaining two Journal Squared Towers, the two One Journal Square towers, 30 Journal Square Jersey Journal building project, the HAP tower on Summit or the two towers allowed by the arts district proposal by the Loews. It blows but hopefully it relates to sidestreets away from main thoroughfares and not overall..like the Perrine Avenue development that was stopped recently because of so many NIMBY bull demands and complaints. I don't think we need to push the panic button yet, as frustrating as the NIMBY pushback leading to this is.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 9:58 PM

Call to action - all Jersey City residents call Mayor Fulop's office and tell him to allow the flexibility in the Journal Square 2060 plan. All existing development will be protected, but this can really kill anything new.

Tel: (201) 547-5200

http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/officeofmayor/

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 10:20 PM

The news about Journal Square really overshadows the other news regarding the proposed Roberto Clemente Redevelopment Plan.

St. Anthony's high school will soon be closing, and the city hopes create a redevelopment plan that will soon see buildings up to 40 stories on the site next to Newport Mall.

http://www.hpnajc.org/News/4548492

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 11:08 PM

^^ That's very cool news, thanks CIA! Your link includes a survey from the Planning Board on this plan; I recommend that all Jersey City residents fill out the survey.

And thanks for posting the phone number for Fulop's office. Calling Fulop and Boggiano is the best way to ensure that our views are heard (it's more effective than email).

As far as the rezoning of Journal Square is concerned, I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude until we see more details. But what little we heard at the meeting didn't sound good. Fulop said something about how the current plan allows "unlimited height and density" and "that's going to change" (quotes are his words). But the plan only allows unlimited height and density in the central zone right around the station... most of the area that has unlimited height and density already has approved plans that can't be changed by a rezoning, so I'm not sure if that's what he meant.

citybooster I think your hunch is probably right that density will be limited on side streets. Boggiano and the NIMBY Hilltop Neighborhood Association that he runs have been pushing for downzoning the side streets for a while. That would be unfortunate, because the current plan has been encouraging more affordable construction on the side streets with no inlcuded parking. This is great for two reasons: the increased supply of mid-market housing can help keep the area affordable, and it could provide foot traffic for stores, which makes the area even more walkable and vibrant. In contrast, the Journal Square towers are mostly luxury buildings that include large parking garages.

Last edited by Hamilton; Jan 16, 2017 at 12:07 AM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2017, 3:57 AM

Hmmm... what's the really tall white building in the back. The two orange ones in the back are 45 floors each, so it looks to be 60+.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 8:13 PM

New one in Paulus Hook thanks to JerseyDigs.com

Quote:
Two prominent Jersey City developers have joined forces for a project that will add rental housing and retail to one of the city’s major crossroads, a plan that will also help build a much-need annex for a local private school.

Last week, Eric Silverman and Fields Construction’s Robert Caulfield presented plans to the Historic Paulus Hook Association for land that runs along Grand Street between Marin Boulevard and Van Vorst Street. The properties consist of a mostly vacant Z-shaped lot on the south side of the street in front of St. Peter’s ballfield (don’t worry dive bar fans, the property does not include the Golden Cicada), plus a parking lot at the north side of the street directly adjacent to Our Lady of Czestochowa.

The housing portion of the project, which is still in the conceptual stage, was designed by architecture firm Avoid Obvious. It would combine several lots and construct two mid-rise towers at the site, one 22 stories tall and the other rising up 16 floors. The buildings will be “tiered” and start out at four stories on the street level, a move the developers hope will help the project blend into the streetscape.

If approved, the development will bring between 275-300 market-rate rentals to the neighborhood, plus a small retail component. About 150 parking spaces will also be built in the project’s garage, which will be entered through nearby Sussex Street. The building will contain 1, 2, and 3-bedroom apartments and Silverman made a point during the meeting to stress that the project will “stay away from micro-units,” as larger living spaces have become in demand.
Full article can be accessed here: https://jerseydigs.com/silverman-fie...ment-proposal/

Also, please please please to what you can about the Journal Square downzoning.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post

BTW, anyone know what this is?

It looks like a redevelopment at the Communipaw and Grand Street triangle.
Not sure if it's the same developer as the one who did the renderings fot the sites above but there is movement on some of these sites. Much earlier stages than the mythical 101 Newkirk, but movement.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 3:41 PM

A little more info on the development above. It's called the "Whitlock Mills" site. Zoning approval is already in place and if all goes to plan, expect a construction start later this year.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 12:20 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Revealed: 18-Story, 180-Unit Mixed-Use Building At 321 Warren Street, Jersey City

Quote:
Architect Chris Fogarty of TriBeCa-based Fogarty Finger Architecture has designed the new building for developer Lennar. It will still be 18 stories tall, but needed new approval from the city. Usually, an affordable component would be required, but in this case, all of the units will be market-rate. Instead of affordable units, the building will have an arts component – a 150-seat black box theater, plus more art space on the second floor.

Fogarty Finger is no stranger to the Powerhouse Arts District, having done the Oakman at 161 1st Street and the Art House at 148 1st Street. The firm said those buildings “moved the needle a bit and stopped being these run-of-the-mill red brick buildings.” The primary materials in the design of 321 Warren are white brick and glass.

[...]

There will be 180 residential units across the 217,000-square-foot rental building: 60 studios averaging 600 square feet, 58 one-bedrooms averaging 730 square feet, 42 two-bedrooms averaging 1,020 square feet, and 14 three-bedrooms averaging 1,440 square feet. The 17th floor will have six double-height units, including two one-bedrooms, three two-bedrooms, and one three-bedroom.

The building will also feature 1,400 square feet of retail and 18 parking spaces. The target for the beginning of construction is June 2017.
=======================
NYY

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 2:34 PM

Love it! Would love to see hundreds of more mid-rises like the one above.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 1:54 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

JERSEY CITY | 13 Carbon Place and 35 Carbon Place | 2 X FT | 2 X 4 FLOORS

Project: 13 Carbon Place and 35 Carbon Place

Quote:
According to legal notices, a developer is planning two four-story buildings at 13 Carbon Place and 35 Carbon Place, just west of West Side Avenue, in the NJCU West Campus Redevelopment Area. Currently, the property is a 1.289-acre vacant lot in a largely residential neighborhood.

The buildings are slated to include 152 market rate residential rental units and 11,903 square feet of retail and commercial space. 16 garage spaces and 23 garage spaces will be provided for residential tenants, a notice shows, adding that KKF Block 1 Urban Renewal, LLC is listed as the project developer. The project will receive a 30-year tax exemption and revenue to Jersey City is supposed to amount to at least $465,115 upon substantial completion. It is supposed to create around 264 new construction jobs and 24 permanent full-time jobs.

Nearby, KKF Block 5B Urban Renewal, LLC, which is based out of a house in Montgomery Township, Somerset County, is planning a four-story building with 149 residential rental units and 151 parking spaces for tenants.
A legal notice states that it will rise south of Carbon Place between West Side Avenue and Route 440 at a site that will be known as 33 University Place Boulevard upon completion of the project.
=========================
https://jerseydigs.com/13-35-carbon-...city-proposal/

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 5:37 PM

Im not sure Im understanding the renderings for Whitlock Mills. Where are all the existing buildings that are currently on the site made to match the style of the original buildings? They were built within the last decade and I cant imagine they will be torn down for this, though I do think this plan looks a lot better than the hodge-podge that those are laid out in.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynfoo View Post
Im not sure Im understanding the renderings for Whitlock Mills. Where are all the existing buildings that are currently on the site made to match the style of the original buildings? They were built within the last decade and I cant imagine they will be torn down for this, though I do think this plan looks a lot better than the hodge-podge that those are laid out in.
They were partially built and not maintained, unfourtunately. There may be some that have fallen into such disrepair that it's more cost effective to demolish and rebuild. No specific plan has been adopted at this point, and studies are still underway.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 5:25 PM

New Development Map!

Bergen-Lafayette

http://data.jerseycitynj.gov/dataset...t1.25.2017.pdf

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 9:36 PM

Emerson Lofts

Preliminary approvals happen tomorrow for this three 26-story tower development.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 3:54 PM

Anybody here who lives in Ward C (Journal Square), please call Councilman Boggiano's office and let them know that you'll support his challenger in the upcoming election if he continues to demand restriction to new housing supply in Journal Square. Also make it clear to Mayor Fulop that Boggiano doesn't speak for all the people of Ward C...

Rich Boggiano (201) 547-5159 (The number isn't working right now, but I'll post it again in a few days when it's working again, hopefully)

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/inde...rt_river_index
Quote:
The rapid pace of development has caused some friction with longtime residents who say mid- and high-rise apartment buildings will aggravate parking and infrastructure problems...

Councilman Rich Boggiano, whose ward includes the six skyscrapers planned for around the Journal Square PATH hub as well as a massive four-building residential development off Baldwin Avenue, has said he opposes large-scale developments sitting side-by-side one- and two-story homes.

He led a group of residents who convinced the Planning Board to vote down a Perrine Avenue project in December, saying the six-story building would have been out of character with the rest of the neighborhood.

Boggiano said he wants to speak to Cialone about revising the Journal Square redevelopment plan to include restrictions on large-scale development.

"I want to preserve our neighborhoods," he said. "All these out-of-towners coming in and buying one- and two-family homes and tearing them down and building tall buildings ... get the hell out of our neighborhood."
I could understand if the "neighborhoods" he was talking about were historic rowhouses and Victorians, especially far from the PATH train. But he's talking about dilapidated vinyl houses on blocks 5 minutes from the PATH, like Perrine Ave.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 4:24 PM

I've been meaning to start a website on this and other important issues. I've been too busy, Maybe best to get the word out to NY Yimby.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 7:18 PM

Boggiano's ridiculous. What an over the top threat... the Perrine project wasn't all that good, and I would agree with Hamilton that the really nice architectural gems in the area should be left alone. Also, infrastructure MUST be a major priority here with several more towers being constructed over the next few years, particularly train and bus capacity. However Boggiano's threat of ultra-Nimbyism is self defeating as building more densely right by a transit hub makes sense. I hope the new city planner and the Fulop administration don't allow Boggiano and his NIMBY supporters to ride roughshod over an opportunity to get things right for once and make the most of the potential Journal Square has to be a destination hub, central to residential, cultural, and retail/dining opportunities.

As for the Emerson development... wow! Looks really amazing and hope it can get through something like the current proposal. Hope we can get news about if the Planning Board will agree to the proposal asap plus any info on what the Fulop administration's thinking currently on Journal Square would be appreciated.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 4:37 PM

BREAKING NEWS

Journal Squared Phase 2 is scheduled to begin construction within 90 days! It looks like the height remains at 70 storeys and will rise ~750ft (I was hoping it would have gone for taller, but still excellent news and a vote of confidence in Journal Square). Now, when it's Kushner gonna step up and start constructing One Journal Square!?!

From DominiRican at SSC.

Last edited by C.; Feb 15, 2017 at 4:58 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations