HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
It does seem a wee bit taller than I was expecting, but as pointed out, probably an optical illusion. Unless there was a last minute change to bump up the height just enough so they could get that crown lighting in. That would be the best late Christmas gift ever......
Hmmm... I was looking at it from the Hampden bridge over I-25 this morning and from that view, it definitely looked taller than the roof line of 4S.

That's actually quite an interesting view of downtown. In that view from Hampden, the Country Club towers look huge, and part of the skyline. Plus you have the Glendale skyline in the foreground.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 7:38 PM

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES.

CO-LEG Better not F*ck this up.

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/ne...eement-to.html

Quote:

Legislators, business groups reach agreement to pass construction-defects reform

After four years of failed negotiations, business leaders and Democratic Colorado legislators finally have reached an agreement to move forward a bill that will reform construction-defects law with the aim of jump-starting what is largely a non-existent condominium construction market.

The compromise, which will be announced at a news conference early this afternoon, will allow members of the Legislature to get behind a bill that will require the approval of a majority of condominium owners before any legal action can be filed against builders.

Colorado state Rep. Alec Garnett, D-Denver, speaks at a March 29 press briefing about the then-stalled efforts to pass a construction-defects reform bill.
Enlarge
Colorado state Rep. Alec Garnett, D-Denver, speaks at a March 29 press briefing about the… more

ED SEALOVER | DENVER BUSINESS JOURNAL

It also will require that those homeowners are informed more thoroughly about both the benefits and the drawbacks of such a lawsuit before any action is taken. It will, not, however, require that legal disputes go to binding arbitration.

Just three weeks ago, Rep. Alec Garnett, the Denver Democrat leading negotiations with reform backers, announced that talks had hit a major impasse over demands from business leaders that the statute of limitations on discovering purported defects not be extended by as much as six months while condo owners vote on whether to proceed with a lawsuit.

However, a variety of interest groups agreed late Tuesday to reduce the time frame for extending the statute of limitations by just 90 days while narrowing the types of homeowners that could not vote in the election and defining more specifically how that election will occur, said Mike Kopp, the president and CEO of Colorado Concern who had a lead role in the negotiations.

“We’ve achieved an important reform and look forward to seeing an up-tick in new condo starts in the state of Colorado as a result,” Kopp said Wednesday.

Added Garnett: “With this groundbreaking consensus bill, we are protecting consumers, empowering homeowners and balancing risk in the marketplace for developers to break ground on attainable multi-family homes across the state. I want to thank everyone from all sides for staying at the table.”

Condominiums now make up less than 3 percent of the new housing stock in Colorado, and builders say they are unwilling to build because current law makes it too easy for just a small group of homeowners association board members to file multi-million-dollar defects lawsuits.

The dearth of entry-level housing worries business leaders who say young professionals are forced to rent rather than buy, and it worries metro mayors who have been unable to develop condominium communities around the FasTracks rail system for millennials and downsizing baby boomers.

Former Republican Sen. Mark Scheffel offered the first bill making it harder to file defects lawsuits in 2013, then joined the next year with former Democratic Sen. Jessie Ulibarri in a bipartisan effort aimed at helping both builders and lower-income Coloradans.

However, bills that made it successfully out of Senate committees in 2014 and 2015 died on the clock in the Senate or got sent to the House “kill committee” because two Democratic leaders in particular — former Senate President Morgan Carroll and former House Speaker Dickey Lee Hullinghorst — felt they would unfairly limit access to the courts by aggrieved home owners.

In 2016, supporters did not introduce a bill because the gulf with the two main opposition groups — trial lawyers and homeowners associations — became too large.

One of the keys to the success this year was the new leadership in the Democratic-majority House. While House Speaker Crisanta Duran, D-Denver, has remained firmly against any provisions that require binding arbitration, she was willing to pass what many have termed the “informed consent” bill involving the homeowner-vote and pre-lawsuit-information provisions. And Garnett, elected in November as assistant House majority leader, always has been one of the biggest champions in his party for a comprehensive construction-defects reform bill.

House Bill 1279 — sponsored by Garnett and Republican Rep. Lori Saine of Dacono — hit a roadblock, however, when the two sides could not reach an agreement on the “tolling” provision in the bill that would give HOAs 180 days to take homeowner votes on whether to file a lawsuit. Business leaders did not like the fact that the provision extended the two-year statute of limitations on discovering defects another half a year while the voting occurs, they did not like the sweeping prohibition on anyone associated with the builder being barred from voting, and they were worried by the lack of definition over how the election would work.

At a March 29 news briefing, Garnett and Duran lashed into the policy committee of the business-led Homeownership Opportunity Alliance, which had recommended opposing HB 1279 without the addition of the changes they were seeking. After that, the two sides went back to the table. And all participants, including trial lawyers and homeowners-association groups, came to agreement on the final package late Tuesday.

The main compromise extends the statute of limitations for finding defects only 90 days during the voting period, Kopp said. After that time frame runs out, homeowners still have six more years before they have to file the lawsuit.

But the two sides also agreed to narrow the scope of who could not vote on the lawsuit to the builders and direct relatives, replacing the broadly worded language that tagged any associates of contractors as being ineligible to have a say on lawsuits. And they defined how the election would work.

Reform proponents also gained a concession that stipulates that legal action regarding defects in common areas of the properties also must go to a vote unless the defects are worth less than $50,000, which is a common figure for deductibles on condominium insurance policies. While this might seem a minor point, it is key because actions over those alleged defects also can cloud the title of any condominiums in a development, Kopp explained.

Members of the reform coalition, which also includes a number of affordable-housing groups, applauded the compromise.

“We have worked on passing an informed-consent bill for three years, and we are very pleased that this appears to be headed to a vote in the full Legislature,” said Kathie Barstnar, co-chair of the Homeownership Opportunity Alliance coalition and executive director of NAIOP Colorado, an association of commercial real estate developers. “This bill is not a magic bullet, but it will help provide attainable housing options to millennials, seniors, public servants such as firefighters and teachers, and other Coloradans struggling to buy a home. Not only is this good policy for all Coloradans, it safeguards – and in some instances expands – consumer protections.”

The Community Associations Institute, an organization of homeowners associations that had opposed all efforts in the past, also called the compromise bill a reasonable deal for builders and condo owners.

“The bill will give homeowners in common-interest communities increased access to information about what filing a lawsuit means for them and their communities, while also giving owners a say in whether to bring claims for defects,” said Suzanne Leff, a spokeswoman for the organization. “The bill is not our ideal solution, but we do believe it strikes a balance that is fair to homeowners, their communities, builders and developers.”

And while the bill does not address the issue of binding arbitration, a coming court decision may make that a moot point. The Colorado Court of Appeals ruled in 2015 that if builders require alternative dispute resolution as part of their contracts with condominium buyers, the homeowners association can not remove that requirement unilaterally. The Colorado Supreme Court is expected to weigh in on an appeal of that decision in the coming months; if it agrees with the appeals court, binding arbitration essentially becomes the law of the land.

Agreement on HB 1279 does little to clear up the fates of three other construction-defects bills still pending before the Legislature, however.

Senate Bill 156, a Republican-sponsored comprehensive reform bill that includes a mandate for alternative dispute resolution, is scheduled to be heard Thursday morning in the House State, Veterans and Military Affairs Committee and still is extremely likely to die in the so-called kill committee for minority-party bills.

But Senate Bill 45 — a bipartisan measure from Duran and Senate President Kevin Grantham, R-Cañon City, that attempts to bring down the cost of insurance for condo builders — remains in limbo in the Senate without a scheduled hearing date before the appropriations committee. Builders complained that rather than helping them, the proposal opens them up to even greater financial and legal liability and needs major changes before they will support it.

And SB 155, which defines a construction defect narrowly as something that causes personal injury or actual damages to a property, is scheduled for its first vote later this afternoon in the Senate Business, Labor and Technology Committee. While Republicans and reform backers have offered support for that bill, Democrats have shown little interest in passing something that likely would restrict lawsuits even further.

Still, the major piece in the long-sought construction-defects reform package is free and clear to move ahead, and the news is welcome to legislators and others who have been working on the issue for five years now.

“After years of unsuccessful attempts to pass construction-defect reforms, I am pleased our efforts culminated in a historic collaboration to solve Colorado’s attainable housing crisis and produced an agreement to give transparency and fairness to hundreds of thousands of Colorado residents and homeowners,” Saine said. “HB 1279 is a product of certainty for homebuilders to build, homeowners to have a voice and future homeowners to build their future in Colorado.”

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 8:00 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COtoOC View Post
"self inking stamp building" I had to think about that one for a minute.... lol!
I thought I was the only one that called it that. I'm so glad there are others.
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver View Post

Hope this makes a difference.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
I thought I was the only one that called it that. I'm so glad there are others.
I stole it from you. and that's what I'm calling it from now on. :thumbs up:

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver View Post

I know! And I was beginning to think they were no longer capable of compromise. I really hope this makes a big difference and we manage to get a condo boom out of it.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleScott View Post
As for the core of 1144 15th St-I recall Ryan saying that the steel for the crown will likey rise about 20 feet beyond the top of the core.
I believe the steel framing at the top of the crown is about 45 feet above the top of the core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
I think it's an illusion. The top of 1144 will be 603 ft while the 4S spire tops out at 641 ft. However the roof level of 4S is at 565 ft. so it will appear taller. Unless they changed the plans...
I'm looking at the plans right in front of me, the steel tops at 600'-10 1/2", so the top of glazing, parapet, and all of that is probably still 603'
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 4:20 PM

So much for a slowdown in the apartment market.....

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/20...ents-increase/

However, this article does give numbers of the amount of units coming on board this year, which is very very high. Still pretty impressive that the vacancy rate is down from this time last year, even with ALL the apartment construction we have seen.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 4:23 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Multifamily apartments to replace closed Kmart along West Alameda Avenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Post
Denver’s last Kmart, shuttered earlier this month, will be replaced by as many as 350 rental units as the Denver Design District, south of West Alameda Avenue, is gradually redeveloped.

The project likely will break ground by the end of this year.

The apartments are the first phase of redevelopment for the lot on South Cherokee Street, which is in line with the area’s general development plan that aims to create a denser, more transit- and pedestrian-oriented neighborhood, said Dan Cohen, development manager for the D4 Urban LLC-owned property.

. . .

The complex is expected to be five stories along West Alameda Avenue, rising to seven stories as it goes south. South Cherokee Street should gain a bike lane on the east side. The development also calls for a 460-space parking structure, according to the Baker Historic Neighborhood Association.

The complex is expected to be five stories along West Alameda Avenue, rising to seven stories as it goes south. South Cherokee Street should gain a bike lane on the east side. The development also calls for a 460-space parking structure, according to the Baker Historic Neighborhood Association.

The apartments were designed by Kephart Architecture, the same architect as the Denizen complex located about 20 feet from the Alameda Station light-rail platform, just south of the Kmart property. It is being developed by Missouri-based Price Development Group. Cohen said the apartments, which average about 815 square feet, will likely rent at market rate.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 4:26 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Quote:

However, this article does give numbers of the amount of units coming on board this year, which is very very high. Still pretty impressive that the vacancy rate is down from this time last year, even with ALL the apartment construction we have seen.
More tidbits from the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Post
Apartments built since 2010 in metro Denver command an average rent of $1,729 a month, while the rent on those built in the 1970s averages a much lower $1,079 a month.

. . .

Another sign that the market was absorbing the new supply without major indigestion comes in the vacancy rate. Apartment vacancies in metro Denver stood at 5.7 percent in the first quarter, down from 6.2 percent in the fourth quarter and 6.8 percent in the first quarter of 2016.

. . .

The region’s appetite for apartments, however, will continue to be tested as the year goes on. Dallas-based Axiometrics projects 11,152 new apartment units will be delivered in metro Denver this year, with the biggest wave landing in the third quarter.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 10:06 PM
Denver

looking at 1144 today from CU Denver campus it looks like there is no way they will have enough room to go another 40 feet above the core without jumping the crane?

Maybe it is just the perspective from Campus ?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 1:42 AM
Mile High Guy

I've seen 1144 from most angles now, and I'm pretty sure it will look taller than 4S in each perspective when it is topped out. Maybe it is also starting at a higher elevation than 4S too?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 5:16 AM

Anyone want to snap a few photos of the new Wash Park twin towers?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 12:21 AM
Up Up and Away

1144 15th

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 12:44 AM
Up Up and Away

999 17th St

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 1:00 AM
Up Up and Away

The Confluence

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 1:32 AM
Up Up and Away

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COtoOC View Post
I personally would hate to see it move. I guess I'm part of their limited clientele, but I live in Denver. When you have kids and it's close by, it's a fun place to spend some time. We get seasons tickets every year.
I recall you and I feeling similarly about having Elitch Gardens stay downtown and the article points out there is no intention to move anywhere else. Any new redevelopment would preserve the current number of parking spaces for the Park.

I wouldn't be surprised if Elitch's is still around when son Josh is old and grey. As valuable as the land might now be it will be even more valuable 50 years from now.

Quote:

The rate of absorption is truly impressive; even if it's not quite as good as they make it out to be it's still impressive.

pablosan... Thanks for the updated photos.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablosan View Post
1144 15th

Awesome pics, man! Great angles and unexpected vantage points. Especially like the 5th one down. Nicely done!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 8:31 AM
Denver

Looks like there is definitely another 40 feet on that crane and my angle was just weird. Building looks great besides that blank wall on the back of the parking garage. Oof.

999 17th had such potential. Is the office portion still going to be built sooon?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West