HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I counted 40 floors on the tower, then 3 maybe 4 on the podium. They have some weird perspective in those images.

40 floors on the tower at 10' plus a mech floor at the top for 10' more. say 410' for the tower. podium looks to have high ceilings. we can say maybe another 40'-60' for the podium. So we're looking at 450'-470' range.
Sounds about right. At minimum this thing will be 30 feet taller than 201 Portage. Or a roughly similar height gap as exists between 201 Portage and 360 Main (36 feet).

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 5:07 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingDuck View Post
As a bonus looks like something between the two towers as well?
And the cladding for the "in between" part resembles the security desk of 360, kind of garrish.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 5:08 PM
Aspiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I wonder if Artis would go so far as to buy a floor or two to help move things along?
Who knows? Maybe they did. Maybe that's why SkyCity went radio-silent on the grocer if one is going to go into the Artis building. Maybe there's some quiet co-operation.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 5:12 PM
What could go wrong?

It looks to be over 500 ft. It towers above 360. As it sits it is 36 foors above a 4 storey podium. He said it could be even taller but they are restricted by what the foundation can hold
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 5:16 PM

So what they're saying doesn't quite match the renders.

It looks to be over 500' based on the render. But how could that 40 storey building, with no fancy pentice, crown, whatever, be that tall? SkyCity has the 9 storey angled piece at the top to bring the height up. This didn't look to have much of anything up there. Looks a bit similar too 300 Assinniboine at the top, actually.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 5:20 PM

Going back to my earlier comment about this, anyone know if the building is being built in such a way as to accommodate a twin to the west?

I'm assuming that there will be plenty of room to the west of this relatively skinny tower for another one at Fort and Graham, especially given how massive the original concept for WSII's floorplate was.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 5:22 PM

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 5:26 PM

Nice, thanks! So the existing bank hall will not be re-clad. WTF. They replaced the glazing there recently too.

There is still brown metal on the left side there... Maybe they are leaving space for another future tower..

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 5:28 PM

Also, this is a Ray Wanderful thing right? Cause it sure looks that way. Nothing too spectacular, but at least there's no guitar haha Fins, fins, fins. Fins for everyone.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 5:29 PM

^ Thanks pegcityfan.

From that improved rendering here's what I take away:

-The new in-between building looks like it will function as the main entrance/lobby to the Winnipeg Square towers
-Still can't tell what's going into the upper floors of the in-between building
-Looks like no entrance to 300 Main at Main and Graham, just a glass wall at grade
-Looks sort of like Winnipeg Square mall will extend right into the residential building lobby at Main and Graham? If so, not a bad idea to extend the mall's presence right to the street so as to remind people it's there
-Looks like everything at the SW corner of the complex will remain as is, same skywalk portal and grade-level entrance as now. (Eventual twin tower site?)
-360 Main looks great, not a revolutionary change but just a nice modernization in keeping with the original design of the building
-Someone tell Artis their logo would look a hell of a lot better on the short sides of the building

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 5:43 PM
What could go wrong?

I just wanted to clear up something from the event. I said "condo" by mistake. I was trying to type fast on my phone and i should have typed "apartment".

Anticipated to start Feb 2017, complete fall 2019.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 5:43 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Going back to my earlier comment about this, anyone know if the building is being built in such a way as to accommodate a twin to the west?

I'm assuming that there will be plenty of room to the west of this relatively skinny tower for another one at Fort and Graham, especially given how massive the original concept for WSII's floorplate was.
My guess is yes, and that it will be even taller.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Nice, thanks! So the existing bank hall will not be re-clad. WTF. They replaced the glazing there recently too.

There is still brown metal on the left side there... Maybe they are leaving space for another future tower..
Or for a better integration with the future opening of Portage and Main...

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
My guess is yes, and that it will be even taller.
There is something very Winnipeggy about the long-awaited phase II being announced only to find out that it itself has a phase II which is not being built yet

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 5:53 PM

Very happy with the release of information today and the render provided from Metronews and posted by pegcityfan:

http://www.metronews.ca/news/winnipe...nd-graham.html

I've edited the photo and scaled it to a smaller size.
Feel free to use it in other discussions and posts.

As to height and floor count, this render stands at 44, that includes the podium.

Will edit the thread title, OP and height soon, when the dust settles from this announcement.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 5:55 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
There is something very Winnipeggy about the long-awaited phase II being announced only to find out that it itself has a phase II which is not being built yet
Got to give your grandkids something to look forward to.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 6:05 PM

Between this, SkyCity and TNS, thats's ~$750M cost. Whoa.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 6:10 PM

Quote:
I wonder if Artis would go so far as to buy a floor or two to help move things along?
They just basically bought 400 condos.

Odd that Artis is building a residential building, as they don't really have any in their portfolio. I wonder if this is a diversification plan or a potential sale to a pension fund in the medium term.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 6:25 PM
the first stamp is free

The Freeps is really slow at picking this story up. Not even a tweet.

They are going hard on that shooter on the loose - but even the Sun has a story on 360 Main on their site.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
The Freeps is really slow at picking this story up. Not even a tweet.

They are going hard on that shooter on the loose - but even the Sun has a story on 360 Main on their site.
WFP.com has a story time-stamped 12:33. Took a while to telex the details back to the mother ship on Mountain, but they're on it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan