HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 12:56 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
*Here's an email I just sent to the AZ Republic on downtown and Scottsdale..sorry we are behind schedule as usual!
As far as downtown goes, we had a few changes of plan. The T-shirt
shop that was next door to us closed, so we took that space as well.
This makes the street level of the restaurant more accessible to those
who don't care for the darker atmosphere of the basement, or have
problems with the stairs.
As for an expected opening date, I'm hoping for around February, we
still have a lot of work to do and would like to open Scottsdale
first, (hoping on December/January) the reason we wish Scottsdale
first is based on all the feedback we've been getting on downtown's
lunch promising to be really busy. This being the case it will demand
even more attention from us when we first open to iron out any kinks.
We are going to offer a limited "rotating" menu of pasties hot and
ready to go from our street side counter, along with our salads, sides
and soups. This is going to be new to us and will take a little more
organizing to make sure all the to go food is as fresh as possible. We
are still going to have the full menu for dine in, and also those not
in a rush can still take the full menu as a pick up or to go. But we
feel that with the foot traffic of downtown we can run the walk up
window similar to the way I used to buy my pasties in the U.*

Found this on their facebook page.
Thanks for sharing that. Good to know the Downtown plans are still on track and that CPC has recognized that not everyone who enjoys miner food wants to eat in mine-like darkness. Along the same lines, they're also adding a patio at their original location in Tempe. The streetside counter with a limited menu also sounds like a smart idea for Downtown Phoenix. My biggest complaint about the Tempe location is that the slow service often makes CPC impractical for weekday lunches. It sounds like they're trying to do something about that when they come to Downtown Phoenix.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 4:14 PM

Does anyone know what's going on with the building on the northwest corner of Jackson and 1st St, kitty-corner to Cooperstown? A few years ago it was slated to be four restaurants from various valley chefs, but that plan disappeared. Today I noticed that a couple walls on the first street side have been knocked out opening up small areas of the building. Something is up, just not sure what.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 8:53 PM

Just announced an hour ago...
http://www.prostamerika.com/2012/07/...l-family/66351

Quote:
The USL PRO announced today the expansion of their league to include a franchise in Phoenix, according to a press release today.

The team’s name, stadium, and coaching staff will be announced later this summer.

USL Release:

USL PRO announced today it has awarded an expansion franchise to the Phoenix, Arizona market with the team commencing participation in the 2013 season.

The franchise will be owned and operated by BDR Sports, LLC, a consortium of Phoenix-based investors led by local developer Tim Thomas.

Rui Filipe Bento, a longtime Phoenix soccer entrepreneur with vast experience in professional club management, will serve as its General Manager.

“This is an important moment for USL PRO as we continue to build for the future,” USL CEO Alec Papadakis said.

“USL PRO is already experiencing a great deal of success on and off the field, and the addition of a solid group in Phoenix continues our plan of western expansion which will ultimately lead to eastern and western conferences. BDR Sports’ leaders possess the vision and experience to make professional soccer a success in Phoenix through USL PRO, and we welcome them into our family.”

“The Valley has waited a long time for a professional soccer team to call its own,” Thomas said. “For the first time in Arizona history we have a soccer program that affiliates its youth with the pros – a USL PRO team that will field the world’s best. Now that’s a kick!”

In addition to Thomas and Bento, other BDR Sports principals include Damon Del Deo and Shawn Diedtrich. Del Deo has a portfolio of businesses that includes logging, mining and various other real estate development projects. Diedtrich is a respected intellectual property and business attorney operating in the Phoenix area.

The Phoenix USL PRO franchise will host a launch event including the formal announcement of the team name, stadium, and coaching staff later this summer.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynnjamin View Post
As a soccer fan, this is pretty exiting. I hope they chose to play at a station somewhere downtown or in Tempe, and not out in the middle of nowhere.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 9:27 PM
BANNED

I've never heard of USL, is this a second-tier pro league? If yes, then seeing as soccer is a second tier sport, this is no more of a deal than landing another pro lacrosse team or arena football or some shit.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
I've never heard of USL, is this a second-tier pro league? If yes, then seeing as soccer is a second tier sport, this is no more of a deal than landing another pro lacrosse team or arena football or some shit.
Soccer isn't a second tier sport just not as popular as the NFL, NBA, or MLB in the U.S. Soccer is however, taking over hockey in the U.S. with a larger following...but it is the most watched and popular sport on a global scale.

Beyond that the USL is a Division III league; compared to baseball it is like AA. So a comparison would mean it is behind MLB and AAA. It does premiere on the Fox Soccer Channel so there is expose for the league. Not too excited about this as an MLS team would be much more welcomed in Phoenix with the huge Latino population; myself included.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 10:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post
Soccer isn't a second tier sport just not as popular as the NFL, NBA, or MLB in the U.S. Soccer is however, taking over hockey in the U.S. with a larger following...but it is the most watched and popular sport on a global scale.

Beyond that the USL is a Division III league; compared to baseball it is like AA. So a comparison would mean it is behind MLB and AAA. It does premiere on the Fox Soccer Channel so there is expose for the league. Not too excited about this as an MLS team would be much more welcomed in Phoenix with the huge Latino population; myself included.
I think you misunderstood what second tier refers to. Top tier sports here are basketball, baseball, football, and hockey.

So we are getting a minor league soccer team, whoop de fucking do.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
I think you misunderstood what second tier refers to. Top tier sports here are basketball, baseball, football, and hockey.

So we are getting a minor league soccer team, whoop de fucking do.
No I understand and like I said, the MLS is overtaking hockey so I wouldn't consider it a second tier sport anymore especially since it is "Major League Soccer" now.

Yeah, not very excited about this USL expansion. An MLS team would be big for the Southwest but that is not what we are getting.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 10:29 PM

USL Pro is a second tier league. MLS being the top league for the sport.

It would be ideal to get an MLS franchise, but the trend has been to in a way "promote" teams that already exist in lower divisions. This has been the case with the additions of teams like Seattle, Portland, and Montreal to the the league. Phoenix adding a lower-level team is perhaps the best way of getting a spot for the top league.

As for the argument that people aren't interested in soccer in the US. Last year, MLS had higher average league-wide attendance rates than the NBA. Soccer culture is growing, and it is actually already present here in the valley.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 10:32 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post

I think soccer is lame/boring, but I'd still like Phoenix to have a MLS team. Problem is, nowhere to play. They could play at UofP but the MLS is really pushing for soccer specific stadiums and obviously being a summer sport, they'd need a roof.

Now if somehow Phx ever hosted the Olympics, or even the Pan Am games, maybe the Olympic stadium could later be downsized to a 20k seat retractable dome.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquitect View Post
USL Pro is a second tier league. MLS being the top league for the sport.

It would be ideal to get an MLS franchise, but the trend has been to in a way "promote" teams that already exist in lower divisions. This has been the case with the additions of teams like Seattle, Portland, and Montreal to the the league. Phoenix adding a lower-level team is perhaps the best way of getting a spot for the top league.

As for the argument that people aren't interested in soccer in the US. Last year, MLS had higher average league-wide attendance rates than the NBA. Soccer culture is growing, and it is actually already present here in the valley.
That is true but I'm still not as excited; I think that is just a natural reaction to getting a minor league team and especially a Division III team. The second tier for soccer is actually the NASL (North American Soccer League). So we would have a ways to go before the new Phoenix franchise becomes an MLS organization...but this does set us up for a major league team in the future.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
I think soccer is lame/boring, but I'd still like Phoenix to have a MLS team. Problem is, nowhere to play. They could play at UofP but the MLS is really pushing for soccer specific stadiums and obviously being a summer sport, they'd need a roof.

Now if somehow Phx ever hosted the Olympics, or even the Pan Am games, maybe the Olympic stadium could later be downsized to a 20k seat retractable dome.
I love soccer! But I love basebase as well so I am used to lulls in games. But if you understand the difficulty in just passing the ball or tackling a soccer ball away from an opposing player, then you appreciate it more. Especially when a ball is on target.

Anyway, an MLS team could play in UofP Stadium if ownership had an agreement or stake in the team. The Seattle Sounders play in CenturyLink Field (where the Seahawks play) so there is precedent. However, I would prefer a soccer specific stadium near light rail if Phoenix were to ever get an MLS team.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 4:18 PM

Phoenix assistance sought on 2 downtown office-retail complexes

Two more retail-and-office high rises are planned for downtown Phoenix, including one for the Barron Colliers' property near the $500 million CityScape office-and-retail complex at First and Washington streets.

The other proposed retail-and-office project is at Second Avenue and Monroe Street.

The nine-member Phoenix City Council is expected to consider city assistance on both projects at its 1 p.m. meeting Tuesday.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...#ixzz1zZqHZQd5

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
Phoenix assistance sought on 2 downtown office-retail complexes

Two more retail-and-office high rises are planned for downtown Phoenix, including one for the Barron Colliers' property near the $500 million CityScape office-and-retail complex at First and Washington streets.

The other proposed retail-and-office project is at Second Avenue and Monroe Street.

The nine-member Phoenix City Council is expected to consider city assistance on both projects at its 1 p.m. meeting Tuesday.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...#ixzz1zZqHZQd5
They should be building more apartment buildings in place of the surface lots! Replacing surface lots with new surface lots (even if it is greatly reduced) in downtown is ridiculous.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 8:36 PM

Hope you all are enjoying the 4th so far! Looking forward to the Dbacks game tonight and celebrating...

Back to Phoenix development news, the City Council has approved "tax relief" for the two highrise projects by Collier and 211 Monroe Holdings...can't find a link for the Republic or on AZcentral but it is on the print addition of today's paper in the Business section.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 3:24 AM

Arizona Opera Building at Central and McDowell

I don't have any renderings but it has very little setback from Central Avenue.

Here's an AZ Central article from 2011 on the building:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...ra-moving.html

Quote:
The new home is at 1636 N. Central Ave., next door to the Flinn Foundation. The 16,800-square-foot, two-story building will be expanded to 20,000 square feet with the addition of new rehearsal facilities for the opera.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post

I don't have any renderings but it has very little setback from Central Avenue.

Here's an AZ Central article from 2011 on the building:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...ra-moving.html
Wow, guess I've been out of the loop. Had no idea - that's amazing news.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 4:11 PM

Late Sunday afternoon, I was climbing Piestawa Peak when I ran into the boyfriend of a city councilman. The following is the scuttlebutt of various city projects and would-be projects. Compensate according to the political source: he's a real-estate pro and tends to believe the glass is not only half-full, it's virtually overflowing.

1) The Collier Center project is a "go" because Greg Stanton's wife is a member of a law firm committed to leasing space in the new high rise. That said, it might be five years before it gets built.

2) The Hotel Palomar building at Cityscape will continue under construction with office space above it up to the height of the other tower.

3) There is no realistic hope for the 2nd Avenue & Monroe project.

4) Changing Hands Bookstore opted out of the old Beef Eaters space on west Camelback. The reason was its own financing difficulties.

5) Aiellos, the Italian restaurant on Central north of Camelback, closed but is planning to move to the ground floor at One Lex. Its old space will be taken over by a new restaurant from the Postino's/LGO group.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 5:49 PM

Makes me suspicious of anything he said since he isn't correct about #2. They have already applied for the permit to build 14 floors of apartments above Palomar. Everything on the permit seems a go except they needed some corrections on the BLDG CODE REVIEW.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 8:03 PM
BANNED

I take issue with #5 as well since I have been told by several sources that Upward Group (postino, windsor) are opening their new stuff in the building north of Aiello's and that was the plan before Aiello's closed. He also doesn't seem aware that LGO Hospitality has literally ZERO to do with Postino, Windsor, Churn, or any of the new stuff that Upward is doing. There was a partnership between the original guys from both groups, but that has since disintegrated, so since he is saying they are opening up a new place, that makes his comment invalid.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest