HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 8:32 AM

First off, no way that building can structurally support any kind of high-rise development without being significantly modified, or razed and rebuilt.

Second, they said a high-rise is just one option. I wonder what else they have in mind?

Third, I wonder what exactly about certain kinds of commercial uses makes a structural upgrade 'less significant' than use as a middle or high school?

This is a fascinating development for that part for town.

Last edited by philopdx; Jan 23, 2014 at 2:28 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 6:52 PM

It looks like you could put a high rise on the parking lot along Southwest Main. You could cantilever a new structure over the existing YMCA building. It could look something like the Porter House in NYC:

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 7:27 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I wouldn't mind seeing the YWCA building knocked down. It's not some sort of gorgeous historic property. It's mostly an irrelevant brick wall of a building. Knock it down and start over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxstreetcar View Post
At first I'd say that's crazy to build over an existing building when we have lots of parking lots around there, then I remembered that we only build new towers on sites of existing buildings not parking lots.
The parking lots have different owners. I hate it too, but you can't walk into Burger King and complain that they aren't selling Five Dollar Foot-longs. You can only buy what they have to sell. The real question is, what can be done to get those parking lot owners to sell?

I'm sure developers want those parking lots even more than we want them developed.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 7:27 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle rock View Post
It looks like you could put a high rise on the parking lot along Southwest Main. You could cantilever a new structure over the existing YMCA building. It could look something like the Porter House in NYC:
Looking closer at the building, I could see them reskinning the exterior which is needed if they wish to use the existing building for commercial use. Then the parking lot and smaller portion of the building in the middle of the block could be torn down and a skinny rectangular build built from there. It would actually create a pretty dynamic looking structure once if it is all done right. Being that it is an architect that bought this building, I can only imagine that he will want to push the level of design and do something that stands out as well as be profitable for his investors.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 8:04 PM

It looks like, for the meantime anyway, there's not going to be a big renovation or addition.

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...&ed=2014-01-23

Jan 23, 2014, 9:38am PST
YWCA building sold at last
Wendy Culverwell
Staff reporter- Portland Business Journal

Quote:

Zhang intends to redevelop the 47,000-square-foot building, most recently used as a fitness center and residential shelter, into a European style community promoting artistic and cultural uses. The redevelopment will turn the lower floors into art-related functions such as galleries, studios and offices. It will preserve residential units used by the YWCA as a transitional shelter for women and as a center for urban living.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 10:17 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
It looks like, for the meantime anyway, there's not going to be a big renovation or addition.

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...&ed=2014-01-23

Jan 23, 2014, 9:38am PST
YWCA building sold at last
Wendy Culverwell
Staff reporter- Portland Business Journal
My guess is we will have to wait until he can secure more investments into the project. I wouldn't expect to see any major changes to the building for the next few years.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 6:29 PM

Damn DJC paywall...but they have a different take than the PBJ:

Downtown Portland YWCA could be replaced by mixed-use tower
By: Lee Fehrenbacher in Real Estate and Development January 23, 2014 4:55 pm

Quote:
WHJ Holdings LLC, a group managed by a Seattle-area architect, has purchased the YWCA facility in downtown Portland with preliminary plans to raze the building and construct a new mixed-use tower in its place.
Read more: http://djcoregon.com/news/2014/01/23...#ixzz2rLGJgsxt

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 8:08 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Adding a tower over the top of a 1958 building with a masonry facade? Nope, can't see any potential problems there.
There is a mid-sized parking lot behind the building which they could build on. Besides, this building has practically been studied to death.

Quote:
WHJ Holdings LLC, a group managed by a Seattle-area architect, has purchased the YWCA facility in downtown Portland with preliminary plans to raze the building and construct a new mixed-use tower in its place.
Well, guess not!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 8:14 PM

I like DJC's version much better! Hopefully that is the more accurate version.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 10:02 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
There is a mid-sized parking lot behind the building which they could build on.
Is the parking lot for sale? That's the real problem. How do we get the owners of frigging surface parking lots to either sell or develop the land?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 12:22 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:

I just realized this would probably be the end of that magnificent tree between Eliot Tower and the YWCA. I sure hope not. I know it's just a tree, but that tree is amazing, and it managed to survive the building of both the Y, decades ago, and Eliot Tower back in 2005.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 1:34 AM
A before E

Meh, if the raze the building to be a new building, it won't be much of a loss. Though I can't wait to see those parking lots on the West End disappear. I would love to see that area fill with Pearl size buildings with a few taller buildings here and there to help add an influx of downtown residents and office space. The West End should be a mix residential and commercial.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 2:52 AM
A before E

Quote:

Interesting fact about this building site, it looks like it has an 8:1 FAR, and the southern portion of the site has a 200ft height limit, while the northern portion of the site has a 250ft height limit.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Meh, if the raze the building to be a new building, it won't be much of a loss. Though I can't wait to see those parking lots on the West End disappear. I would love to see that area fill with Pearl size buildings with a few taller buildings here and there to help add an influx of downtown residents and office space. The West End should be a mix residential and commercial.
I agree about the parking lots, especially the two directly north of this property. I enjoyed cheap parking there for years, but they leave such an awkward hole in the fabric of the city, and so close to the heart of downtown.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 4:41 AM

Or that one along the Park blocks, that's just an insult.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 4:57 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Is the parking lot for sale? That's the real problem. How do we get the owners of frigging surface parking lots to either sell or develop the land?
Its actually part of the same taxlot - its where the loading bay for the building is. You can see it here:

portlandmaps.com

If I recall, the parking lot is roughly 50' x 80'

Anyway, the YWCA has good bones - it was recently renovated by GBD, and they did a fairly good job with circulation and everything. The building has a 2-level basement, with a swimming pool (!). There is also a full court basketball gymnasium, a commercial kitchen on the ground floor, and that nice plaza with the big tree.

The only odd thing about the building is the circulation - they are a bit awkward, having 2+ circulation cores. Since the building has good bones and is already updated, I would be surprised if it were knocked down - although a change of use could force a costly seismic and code renovations.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
Or that one along the Park blocks, that's just an insult.

Ugh, that one is a killer.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
I just realized this would probably be the end of that magnificent tree between Eliot Tower and the YWCA. I sure hope not. I know it's just a tree, but that tree is amazing, and it managed to survive the building of both the Y, decades ago, and Eliot Tower back in 2005.
I would hope that they could work with the tree -- that is one of the most beautiful trees in Portland. It would be nice if, like the Eliot, they could acknowledge the tree and work with it to create a nice outdoor space there.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 3:20 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
Its actually part of the same taxlot - its where the loading bay for the building is. You can see it here:

portlandmaps.com

If I recall, the parking lot is roughly 50' x 80'

Anyway, the YWCA has good bones - it was recently renovated by GBD, and they did a fairly good job with circulation and everything. The building has a 2-level basement, with a swimming pool (!). There is also a full court basketball gymnasium, a commercial kitchen on the ground floor, and that nice plaza with the big tree.

The only odd thing about the building is the circulation - they are a bit awkward, having 2+ circulation cores. Since the building has good bones and is already updated, I would be surprised if it were knocked down - although a change of use could force a costly seismic and code renovations.
It would be cool if they didn't raze the building and we're able to keep the basement intact so that the residents living in the new residential portion would have access to a gym and pool. Who wouldn't want to live downtown that had a pool.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxf View Post
I would hope that they could work with the tree -- that is one of the most beautiful trees in Portland. It would be nice if, like the Eliot, they could acknowledge the tree and work with it to create a nice outdoor space there.
The tree is actually a Portland Heritage Tree which means it has significantly more protections than even designated historic buildings. From my understanding the tree was planted in 1870 and holds some sort of cultural significance.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland