HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 2:59 PM

As far back as I can remember, the Regina Leader-Post has never had a Sunday edition (unless you count the now-defunct Regina Sun, which was basically just a community weekly). The "Sunday funnies" were (and are) always printed in Saturday's newspaper.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
hope the free press ups its game. I can only take so much Doug Speirs...
I refuse to read his columns on principle. Haven't read one in years.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I refuse to read his columns on principle. Haven't read one in years.
I just don't find him funny. is there another issue there for you?

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
I just don't find him funny. is there another issue there for you?
No, that's what it boils down to for me. Well, that and the irritating fact that the Freep cuts talented reporters and columnists left and right while keeping this God-awful sub-par low-rent imitation of Dave Barry.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 3:55 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
The old folks really do have it good if that's the case... I'd imagine Thunder Bay is probably one of the smaller cities in North America that still has a 7-day a week newspaper.

I feel for the elderly though, as the size of the print in phone books keeps getting smaller.
Our phone book print actually got larger last time, but they still complained it was smaller.

Quote:
I'm probably one of the last phone book using holdouts, certainly in the under 40 crowd. But even I don't have much use for them anymore as it continues to shrink... the helpful display ads that told you a bit about a business are disappearing as businesses shift their ad dollars to online, so the YP is quickly becoming just a list of businesses and phone numbers with little other information.

Seems to me that phone books were hanging in there during the internet age until smartphones became common... that really hastened their decline.
It costs about a thousand dollars a year to simply have your phone number included in the Yellowpages. If you want a small, one column wide, 6 lines tall advertisement box, that is about $3,000 a quarter or $12,000 a year. (Radio advertisements here are about $25 per commercial, so it runs around $100,000/year for the larger companies that are getting airtime on a roughly hourly basis). I'm basing that on my company's experience but we run ads in several sections because we provide numerous services, so the price could be compounded but still, it's a lot of money for a questionable return.

The full-page Chinese restaurant menus in the Yellowpages, in Thunder Bay's Yellowpages, are (according to people who have told me such things) $12,500 per month.

A Facebook account is free. In the spring at my work when we're getting ready to renew our ad in Yellowpages we ask customers when they last used Yellowpages. About 90% of them don't use it (about a quarter don't even have phone books anymore) and those who do, have never used it to look us up. Most people find out about us through word of mouth or product placement (we do water coolers and filtration so we're in thousands of homes and businesses).

We stuck with YP this year because of the online component (the site usually ranks high in Google searches) but by being a dominant player in our market and with Google's geographic algorithms, our own website is already a top result for most of the services we provide.

I used to look in the phone book because it had some interesting stuff in the local pages, but since Yellowpages took over the publishing of our local phone book (the city owned telecom used to do that) they've eliminated that, so it's just phone listings and nothing else.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
The full-page Chinese restaurant menus in the Yellowpages, in Thunder Bay's Yellowpages, are (according to people who have told me such things) $12,500 per month.

A Facebook account is free. In the spring at my work when we're getting ready to renew our ad in Yellowpages we ask customers when they last used Yellowpages. About 90% of them don't use it (about a quarter don't even have phone books anymore) and those who do, have never used it to look us up. Most people find out about us through word of mouth or product placement (we do water coolers and filtration so we're in thousands of homes and businesses).
Funny you should mention Chinese restaurants. It blows me away how many mom-and-pop Chinese joints still don't have any web presence whatsoever these days. I know you could say the same about many small restaurants or other types of businesses, but for whatever reason Chinese restaurants are particularly bad for this.

Honestly Chinese restaurant owners, give your nephew $50 to take pictures of your menu with his iPhone, have him post it to blogger and call it a day.

Anyway, what you say makes total sense. It's easy to see why the end is nigh for the venerable old phonebook.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 1:53 PM
BANNED

I am loving the size of the new PC cabinet. They are off to a good start.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
I am loving the size of the new PC cabinet. They are off to a good start.
Typical for new governments. Then they gradually increase it.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 2:28 PM
BANNED

In your mind perhaps.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 2:39 PM

Politics? Suggestion for future posts..

We have 2 threads covering Provincial Politics
1 Covering Municipal Politics.. 2nd page this forum...Although this is an all off-topic thread so it appears like a good choice..

Manitoba Provincial Election | 2016

The Manitoba Provincial Politics Discussion

Although I do like the size, of the Cabinet initially announced, shows a willingness to bring Government size under control..

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 3:08 PM
BANNED

Oops. Forgot about the latter. Sawry.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 3:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
No, that's what it boils down to for me. Well, that and the irritating fact that the Freep cuts talented reporters and columnists left and right while keeping this God-awful sub-par low-rent imitation of Dave Barry.
No kidding, I never ever found that low-rent, no talent Barry imitator, worth reading, funny, interesting or even worthy of a column, he must work for free there is no other explanation!

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
In your mind perhaps.
I honestly can't be bothered to look up the numbers but I'm pretty sure every Manitoba and federal government in my lifetime ended its tenure in office with more cabinet members than it started with. I think in Harper's case he only added associate ministers or some other lesser forms of ministers, but he added people nonetheless.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 3:19 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
I honestly can't be bothered to look up the numbers but I'm pretty sure every Manitoba and federal government in my lifetime ended its tenure in office with more cabinet members than it started with. I think in Harper's case he only added associate ministers or some other lesser forms of ministers, but he added people nonetheless.
In 1995, Mike Harris appointed 20 cabinet ministers out of 82 MPPs in a 130 seat legislature. 24% of his caucus was in the ministry, and the ministry was 15% of the legislature. Compared to Pallister's 12/40 (30% in cabinet) in a house of 57 (21% ministers), his cabinet still doesn't compare to Mike Harris's first but to be honest, Manitoba has the same amount of responsibilities in spite of its smaller population.

Anyway, by 2002, when Harris resigned in disgrace, his successor was given a cabinet with 27 positions. Out of 59 MPPs in a 103 seat legislature. That means that by the time Harris was done his PC "Common Sense Revolution", cabinet had increased from 24% of caucus to 46%(!!) of caucus, and 26% of the entire legislature. So in the end, a larger percentage of the legislature was in cabinet than of his caucus when he was first elected.

I doesn't last! Ontario went through this and now the PCs are virtually unelectable!

And if you're wondering where things stand now, after 13 years of Liberal rule (compared to the Harris PC's 8), the Liberals have 27 cabinet ministers out of a caucus of 58 (47%) in a 107 seat legislature (25%). Essentially no increase in the size of cabinet after 13 years of Liberal rule.

We still have the second lowest tax rate in Canada.

Go figure.

Good luck with Pallister guys!

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 3:05 PM

PSA: If anyone is looking for a cheap winter getaway you can book to Fort Lauderdale as of right now for dates in January and February for all of $352 all in. It's on United so you have to connect in the US, but the price cannot be beaten.

I've already booked myself, my wife and kids on the WestJet nonstop but I've somehow become the travel agent for the extended family and needless to say I was pretty excited to see that price.

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 7:56 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Since Nov. 2004 my username was, until last night, 'JimJ_Wpg'.

A couple of months ago, I put in a request to the Moderator who handles username changes to go from that to:

LilZebra

So now this will be my permanent username here.

I am happy.

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 2:21 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

why have i never been here befor :O

such a beautifull night to fallasleep beside a fire

to bad i forgot my tripod head atadptor at home or i would have some full moon of the ruins

such a cool space though amazing

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
LilZebra
I am happy.
Cool..

Changed my username a couple years back as well..

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 2:55 PM

You can never escape your past in Cyrodiil.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 5:36 PM

^ haha, true...although when nostalgia hits me, I do return, even though it was long ago

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan