HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 4:52 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ it's a nearly 100 year old very skinny 21 story parking garage. perhaps it's too expensive to bring the building up to modern codes for a more intensive occupancy?

at least the structure is being reused.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ it's a nearly 100 year old very skinny 21 story parking garage. perhaps it's too expensive to bring the building up to modern codes for a more intensive occupancy?

at least the structure is being reused.
Looks like there may be access either through an existing garage opening on Harrison and/or off the alley (which I think is narrow.)

Maybe they'll find a way to use that access and put something like gallery space on the 1st floor on Wabash. There's an existing gallery in the building just to the south and a restaurant on the corner - it would be a shame to have just a storage entrance between them.

Trivia question - does anyone else remember when that restaurant was "The Cart" - fairly high end white table cloth place that served Prime Rib from rolling cards - think Lawry's.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 6:51 PM

Anybody who is a fan of architecture, especially older, needs to check out the Three Arts Club Cafe at the new Restoration Hardware in the Gold Coast (1300 N Dearborn). Amazing - made me feel like I was in Europe too.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 11:51 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
http://www.sloopin.com/2015/12/21-st...ge-coming.html

Granted, it's a reuse of a much neglected building, but still, self-storage is the best they can do at this location given what's happening around it?
Self storage rents are about $2/sf in the South Loop while residential is closer to $3/sf, so all things equal, residential is a better bet.

But the building is designed to carry heavy loads and a conversion to self-storage requires very little capital investment. The building's also built lot line to lot line and the neighbors are not keen on selling air rights, so you'd have a really tough time putting in windows. Getting lake views may be impossible.

Too bad they can't turn the Old Post Office into a giant downtown self-storage...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 3:26 AM

When I first moved to Chicago in January 2007, I lived in an apartment at Lawrence & Hamilton, just a few blocks walk from both the Western and Damen brown line stations. I really did like the neighborhood, but Lawrence Ave wasn't exactly the most enticing street to walk along. When I was there in October, it was already looking/feeling much better from a pedestrian perspective. I'm glad it continues to develop in a better direction.

Development Is Coming to Lawrence Avenue, Is the Neighborhood Ready?
DNAinfo: By Patty Wetli | December 11, 2015 6:32am

Quote:
LINCOLN SQUARE — The Lawrence Avenue streetscape was billed as a way to make the thoroughfare more attractive to pedestrians and developers, with Mariano's anchoring a retail corridor that would stretch from Andersonville to Lincoln Square.

Now that all major work on the streetscape has been completed, including a controversial "road diet" that removed a lane of traffic, signs indicate the project is beginning to deliver on that promise.

"Lawrence is about to take off," said Ald. Ameya Pawar (47th), pointing to the just-opened Band of Bohemia and the soon-to-open Roots Pizza and The Sixth cocktail bar as early returns on a deliberate investment in Lawrence, with more to follow.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 3:43 PM

^^^ Roots pizza is really good, was just at the one on Chicago. Just like back home in the Quad Cities.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 7:42 PM
The City

^ I'm really happy to see Ald Pawar behind what's going on up there. The fact that he gets that more density is going to be needed goes a long way

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 4:09 PM
TL;DR

Following up on Lawrence, looks like Pawar is gonna support the rezoning for mixed use.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20151...awrence-avenue

Pawar circulated a petition in his email newsletter to help make his decision.... which seems like a much better way to gauge the neighborhood than to rely on community meetings that are only attended by self-interested NIMBYs.

Candea's previous development on Damen is pretty nice. Very traditional, but it has a nice urban feel with large glass storefronts and a fine-grained texture.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 5:02 PM

Great, glad Pawar went with the bigger 5 story option too! Yea, I like the one they did on Damen too! I wonder how they got 5 shops that are all super yuppie oriented. They all scream gentrification- wine bar, gourmet coffee shop, yoga studio, mid-century modern furniture store, and succulent store.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 5:49 PM

^ Great to hear height wise. 5+ stories is very good no matter what. Put a handful of those together and an area will not feel so small but it will also not feel real big either. Good density.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 6:51 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Great, glad Pawar went with the bigger 5 story option too! Yea, I like the one they did on Damen too! I wonder how they got 5 shops that are all super yuppie oriented. They all scream gentrification- wine bar, gourmet coffee shop, yoga studio, mid-century modern furniture store, and succulent store.
Candea may have helped those businesses (all startups) get financing. It's a smart thing to do if you want to fill your storefronts in an unproven location, although startups always have the risk of failure.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Candea may have helped those businesses (all startups) get financing. It's a smart thing to do if you want to fill your storefronts in an unproven location, although startups always have the risk of failure.
Candea always seems to fill their retail places quickly with good tenants. I wonder how they will do at Lawrence and Clark which is a bit of a retail dead zone.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 9:32 PM

Here's a great sign:

Foreign investment in Chicago real estate hits a new high
Quote:
International investors paid $3.27 billion for properties here through last week, already well above the full-year record of $2.18 billion set in 2013, according to New York-based research firm Real Capital Analytics
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...al-estate-real

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I live right around here and my immediate thought when I walked by this project recently was that the retail tenancy was too good to be true. There must be some sort of incentive going on. In either case I do really get the sense that the neighborhood is totally turning the corner. ...looks like this cheap yuppie might be getting gentrified out.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 2:16 PM

Not big news or anything but good to see - vacant lot near California Clipper (California & ~Augusta) will be a 12 unit building with ground floor office.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 2:37 PM
dream fast

That is good news ^ As well the old gas station at SE corner of California & Augusta to become a Cheval group taco style restaurant IIRC.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 12:17 AM

My view at sunset today. Lots of sites visible. Future Ace Hotel site at the base of the picture is ready for construction.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon03 View Post
My view at sunset today. Lots of sites visible. Future Ace Hotel site at the base of the picture is ready for construction.
^wow! Amazing shot.

Today
United Center office building

Malcolm X

Old Posted Dec 19, 2015, 3:01 PM

According to Curbed, the Logan Square megamall project was approved by the plan commission (http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...ember-2015.php).

Also, for the building at North & Clark. There was concern over this that the Village Theater would be torn down. Here's a render though. MEH:

Old Posted Dec 19, 2015, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
(http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...ember-2015.php).

Also, for the building at North & Clark. There was concern over this that the Village Theater would be torn down. Here's a render though. MEH:
Yuck. From my eyes, this is worse than the original which seemed to make an effort to at least have depth
Didn't realize Germania was also a part of this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development