HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 7:23 PM

I like the Leafs. I really do.

At one point, they could spend money like the Yankees of hockey and actually get somewhere. The 1990s and early 2000s were a decent time to be a fan. They have adjusted badly to the cap era.

Admittedly, they did seem to find some talent coming from the draft in recent years. It just seems that they never can get that talent to the next level when they need it. That, and just being good enough during the regular season to end up playing against the best teams when the playoffs come (see: Capitals and Bruins).

This is more galling because they've somehow snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. I do admire their consistency, I guess?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 7:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

According to a poll I saw, 13% of Toronto hockey fans are Habs supporters.

But only 0.4% of Montreal hockey fans are Maple Leafs supporters.

Of course, there are way more former Montrealers living in Toronto than vice versa.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 8:56 PM
digital b0y

a political policy characterized by inertia and antipathy to change

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
According to a poll I saw, 13% of Toronto hockey fans are Habs supporters.

But only 0.4% of Montreal hockey fans are Maple Leafs supporters.

Of course, there are way more former Montrealers living in Toronto than vice versa.
Including one guy in the house behind me. One Habs jersey last night, rest were Leafs. They have a TV setup outside and are always watching something.

And once at work downtown we did a team thing by all skating at Nathan Philips Square. The CEO is an anglo from Montreal who had the Habs jersey on. Then there's a portfolio manager with the last name Vallee from The Soo who always picks the Habs in our hockey pools and on ugly sweater day for Christmas he wore a Leafs jersey to work.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 9:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitboy View Post
The Habs' win was the lead item on Le Téléjournal (The National) last night.

The reporter who was interviewed mentioned the jersey thing and also referred to "a bacon dish of some kind, I dunno..."

I immediately thought of SSP. It must be the peameal bacon sandwich!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
As an Oilers fan, I’m just happy the Leafs exist. Thank you.

I wonder if Matthews and Marner want our? After all, their best years are being wasted…
Lmao

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I can't stand reading or hearing the expression: "y'all"

It sounds like nails on a blackboard for me. Right up there with the horribly chipper "Room for Dairy?!??!" at Fourbucks.

Agree 100% on both counts lol. I call it 6 bucks

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 11:02 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
...At one point, they could spend money like the Yankees of hockey and actually get somewhere. The 1990s and early 2000s were a decent time to be a fan. They have adjusted badly to the cap era.

Admittedly, they did seem to find some talent coming from the draft in recent years. It just seems that they never can get that talent to the next level when they need it. ...
Personally I think that ever since the days of "Power Play" their ability to draft the top skills have gone downhill.

Edit: Sorry, my bad. I thought we were talking about the Bay Leafs ....

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 12:53 AM

Leafs are the Dallas Cowboys of hockey always a ratings and money draw but an irrelevant team for decades now when it matters.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 1:28 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Doug Ford being a good sport.

https://twitter.com/fordnation/statu...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Funny the pseudo-bromance these guys have going on. They are probably two of the most different high-level politicians there are in Canada.

(Though I suppose it is also a bit of a metaphor for the Ontario-Quebec relationship.)

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 4:35 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Didn’t the Leafs honour what they called “The greatest team to never win the cup” a few years back ? It was the early 90’s Doug Gilmour led squad. That made me laugh a bit.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 5:26 AM

The only way there could be less national interest in the second round is if it was the Senators against the Jets.

I herd that Bettman's greatest night mare is a Minnesota Wild - Winnipeg Jets Stanley Cup final. Thankfully for Gary the Wild lost to Vegas.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 12:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
The only way there could be less national interest in the second round is if it was the Senators against the Jets.
I dunno. My view might be skewed by being in Quebec but the Habs are still one of Canada's most popular sports teams full stop.

Outside of their home market they are pretty much neck and neck and often ahead of the Leafs as the "number one" or "number two" NHL team across the country.

And they have far greater penetration in the Leafs' market (Toronto and Ontario) than the Leafs have in theirs.

So while TSN and SportsNet might not be turned on by this matchup, IMO out there in the real Canada there is probably about as much interest as there would be in a Leafs-Jets series.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I dunno. My view might be skewed by being in Quebec but the Habs are still one of Canada's most popular sports teams full stop.

Outside of their home market they are pretty much neck and neck and often ahead of the Leafs as the "number one" or "number two" NHL team across the country.

And they have far greater penetration in the Leafs' market (Toronto and Ontario) than the Leafs have in theirs.

So while TSN and SportsNet might not be turned on by this matchup, IMO out there in the real Canada there is probably about as much interest as there would be in a Leafs-Jets series.
Oh, I realize that the Habs have a large ROC following, its the Jets (the team I'm interested in) that is confined to Manitoba and Eastern SK and that is what will bring down the interest.
If the Jets win, I bet you'll see number of eyes drop off the cliff.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 12:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I have no problem supporting the Habs.

When I was a kid, I lived and breathed the Maple Leafs, and I'm actually old enough to remember their last cup victory in 1967.

I soured on the Leafs however during the Harold Ballard years, and, after Ottawa joined the league, began to root for them instead (glory years with Alfreddson, Bonk, Hossa, Chara etc). I even went to a couple of Senators games.

I don't pay much attention to NHL hockey anymore (except for around playoff time). Instead, for the last 15 years, I have been a devoted Moncton Wildcats fan, and have a seasons ticket. Live hockey is always better than on TV, and these CHL youngsters are skilled and motivated. They still have the dream of making the show, and their eagerness and determination are really fun to watch.

In any event, for the remainder of the playoffs, the Habs will be my team. Go Habs Go!!!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 1:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitboy View Post
well, good for him to be a good sport about it.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 1:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The habs are easily the second (after the leafs) or third (after the red wings) team here in London, and judging by the amount of swag shown, I would say they are a strong second after the leafs.

for the life of me, I cannot fathom why there are so many Bruins supporters in Canada. Ok, Bobby Orr and all that. But Fuck.

I love the city, but I hate the Bruins.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
The habs are easily the second (after the leafs) or third (after the red wings) team here in London, and judging by the amount of swag shown, I would say they are a strong second after the leafs.

for the life of me, I cannot fathom why there are so many Bruins supporters in Canada. Ok, Bobby Orr and all that. But Fuck.

I love the city, but I hate the Bruins.
Let's play a game. Who's this person who always said this line:

"When I coached the Broons...."

Having been knocked out of the playoffs twice by the Bruins in recent years, I get this. It is the one thing Leafs and Habs fans can completely agree on.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 2:30 PM
ハルウララ

Habs are still the second biggest market in Canada so it's not a total loss for Rogers. Toronto/Edmonton would have been preferable, though. Either way, all four of these teams probably get obliterated by Colorado anyway.

Quote:
Winnipeg/Ottawa would definitely be the worst outcome series for Rogers and the NHL as a whole. Two smallest markets in Canada.

Quote:
I herd that Bettman's greatest night mare is a Minnesota Wild - Winnipeg Jets Stanley Cup final. Thankfully for Gary the Wild lost to Vegas.
Surely the above Winnipeg/Ottawa would be a worse final, at least interest wise. It's an open secret that Anaheim/Ottawa was the weakest finals for the NHL in the past 20 years.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 2:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

How can I put this politely? "Fuck Rogers"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada