HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 11:36 PM

Rode past there twice today, they have closed the right lane on 4th st westbound for construction it seems, blocked it off completely and Cap Metro has canceled that bus stop for the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 11:36 PM

Some new barricades placed along 4th and Guadalupe streets today. Maybe there's life in this one yet.

4-13-2015

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPie View Post
Some new barricades placed along 4th and Guadalupe streets today. Maybe there's life in this one yet.

4-13-2015
This is great to see. But that's an awful lot of parked vehicles for the one guy I see working. I wonder what's up with that - 5th & Colorado workers?

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 6:36 AM

Since the completion date has been pushed back to the 1Q of 2017, we are seeing early signs of construction.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 5:52 PM

I drove around there this morning about 11. It looks like they have moved a bit more dirt inside the fence, and there are a lot more trucks parked inside the fence. Outside they seem to be tearing up the street behind the new street barricades. I have no idea what that is all about. Maybe somebody else can take a look and post some new pics.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 6:09 PM

Just walked past there. I "assumed" what I was seeing is the new foot print of the construction site. A barrier that will include construction support and temp sidewalks, etc.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 7:53 PM

I thought there was a utility issue there delaying construction.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 11:56 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
I thought there was a utility issue there delaying construction.
Pretty sure I read that as well while researching the permits. There is an email exchange on there, I believe. There was a small window where the work had to be started and finished. If they missed the window, SXSW and other things would delay the work.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 6:40 AM

fishy

you can only move a couple of piles of dirt around so many times... but it still doesn't create forward progress! i live at the W and stare straight down on the sight everyday. some days no one is there at all; other days there might be 10-12 trucks that show up, but at the end of the day, nothing changes. it almost seems like the trucks come and park so that it would appear there is some "activity" taking place...but there's not.

the nearby activity that actually is taking place is nothing more than the city improving the streets and sidewalks adjacent to the zaza site and other nearby streets in the neighborhood. they've been working on 3rd street from Lavaca to Guadeloupe for awhile now and that's what seems to be going on outside the parameters of zaza on 4th street. i don't think it has anything to do with the development (or lack thereof) of hotel zaza.

selfishly, i couldn't be happier with the extended delay to get started. if it actually gets built according to plan, at 305' it will block the majority of my beautiful capitol view! (clearly, my own personal problem), but nonetheless, whatever is complicating construction getting underway, it does have my attention--everyday. and i can report, without question, that despite how many trucks park on the site, not a damn thing gets accomplished in a days work over there... the most thats happened in the 8 months i've lived here and observed the site, is tearing down the old establishment and pushing some dirt around.

its fishy, to say the least. thanks for everyone's input and speculation here. everyone else is super tight lipped about it!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 7:34 AM

Maybe they ran out of cranes or crane operators and they are on a waiting list.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Or, maybe somebody forgot to purchase the cement, and now they are on a waiting list for that.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
That actually did happen back in 2007.

Austin Crane Shortage
August 07, 2007

Quote:
Austin's KXAN is reporting tonight that an acute shortage of cranes and crane operators is complicating high-rise construction in Austin. We've heard numerous reports from developers that a scarcity of construction labor -- and skilled general contractors and sub-contractors — is leading to escalating constructions costs, and higher condo prices in the end.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 4:35 PM

I've been on jobs before where the construction management company or GC arrives at the site months before any actual work begins. Hopefully the trailer is the office, where they would basically make timelines, engineering changes, estimating, finding subs, hiring, etc. I'm just speculating of course, but it happens.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 6:16 PM

You know there could be a labor shortage with all this construction going on. Austin has never had this many projects U/C. This is why we might be seeing some delays like ZaZa for example.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 7:27 PM

One or two of the cars and trucks at the site may be for whoever is working in the trailer, but I think most of the vehicles belong to workers at the 5th and Colorado construction site. About a week ago I noticed that activity at the 5th and Colorado site was going later than normal. A while later I noticed that the workers were leaving that site and concurrently saw workers entering the Zaza site from the Lavaca Street entrance. They were walking south along Lavaca before entering the Zaza site. After about 10 minutes, all the workers had gotten into their cars and theists was empty.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 1:30 AM

Well at least we have some constant eyes on this one who can keep us updated on any progress. Right now it appears we have a dirt parking lot for construction workers who park their vehicles, walk around a bit, then leave. Basically, nothing to see here...yet I feel compelled to stay tuned.

Old Posted May 18, 2015, 9:17 PM

This afternoon I drove around the Zilch, Zero ZaZa site and found about 6 parked cars or pickup trucks, one parked piece of earth moving equipment that has not moved in weeks, and a hole in the ground filled with dirty rainwater. There was not a single person visible on the site. This is not looking good.

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
This afternoon I drove around the Zilch, Zero ZaZa site and found about 6 parked cars or pickup trucks, one parked piece of earth moving equipment that has not moved in weeks, and a hole in the ground filled with dirty rainwater. There was not a single person visible on the site. This is not looking good.
There was some work going on during the day. It looked like it might have been utility work of some sort.

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
There was some work going on during the day. It looked like it might have been utility work of some sort.
The utility work has been ongoing on in the street outside of the fence, and I don't know that it has anything at all to do with the ZaZa project.

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 12:05 AM

I don't know if maybe it's somehow related to the utility construction on 4th St., but the CAT in this picture shuffled some dirt around on the north side of the lot today where the digging had previously begun.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin