HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 6:16 PM

Not sure when the existing setup was built through Valleyview, but I'd bet it was over 60 years ago when the city was half the size and was way less through traffic on the highway. No money has been put into this stretch and it's a mess. Especially in the summer. There's only room for 3 cars to que on Vicars before traffic is blocked coming off the highway, add in a big rig and the place turns into a parking lot on the frontage.

Hopefully at least a plan comes out of this survey cause at this point there's not even that. You're right though, it really wouldn't take all that much to fix it. The number 5 would be even easier, so much room on that stretch.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 2:53 AM
BANNED

a security guard was telling me that E-buses are coming into town loaded of homeless from who knows where.
And then they have a shuttle bus to pick them up and take them to all the homeless shelters the city has created.
Our tax dollars at work.
The people of Kamloops are wondering why crime/drugs and homeless is getting worse in Kamloops.If they keep building homeless shelters or turning public spaces into one, then they will come.
This has got to stop.

Last edited by Kbwalter; Dec 9, 2022 at 6:39 AM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbwalter View Post
I was at the sahali mall and a security guard was telling me that E-buses are coming in loaded of homeless from who know where.
And then they get a shuttle bus to pick them up there and take them to all the homeless centres the city has created.
Our tax dollars at work.
And people are wondering why crime/drugs and homeless is getting worse is Kamloops.If they keep building homeless shelters/public spaces they will come.
This has got to stop.
Learn how to spell and use Punctuation

Old Posted Dec 11, 2022, 4:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
Learn how to spell and use Punctuation
Posted this in anger and did put some punctuations and miss spelled words
In my message.This has nothing to do with construction forums.I think people should know what is going on in kamloops.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 1:52 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by VantageHD View Post
Not sure when the existing setup was built through Valleyview, but I'd bet it was over 60 years ago when the city was half the size and was way less through traffic on the highway. No money has been put into this stretch and it's a mess. Especially in the summer. There's only room for 3 cars to que on Vicars before traffic is blocked coming off the highway, add in a big rig and the place turns into a parking lot on the frontage.

Hopefully at least a plan comes out of this survey cause at this point there's not even that. You're right though, it really wouldn't take all that much to fix it. The number 5 would be even easier, so much room on that stretch.
The best I have is a scan of a postcard taken at some point between the bypass was paved but Highway 1 was still on Columbia and you can clearly tell there's been roadwork done in Valleyview.

Underpasses along Valleyview to remove the lights poses problems with the railway being right next to it and thus you would have to make an underpass for the highway AND the railway at Vicars for example, plus the rail RoW is part of the flood protection.

Last edited by MIPS; Dec 14, 2022 at 2:31 AM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 4:11 PM

The four lane highway from Highland road east to Dallas ( first exit to Dallas Drive) was completed in the mid to late 70's. The highway in the post card was done post 1975

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 5:49 PM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

It would be nice to see a new modern aerial photo of Kamloops.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 4:23 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Scaper View Post
It would be nice to see a new modern aerial photo of Kamloops.
Ask and you will receive .....

c/o https://www.kellyfunkphotography.com...l-photography/

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 6:32 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Thanks for sharing that photo. Wow, Kamloops has a pretty nice skyline going on. Bigger than I thought... I'd love to visit there some day.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 6:34 AM

That’s gotta be the best Kamloops shot I’ve ever seen, HollywoodNorth. Please share in the Canadian Skyline for CMAs Under 1 Million thread!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 6:43 AM

Great angle, just wish it was of better resolution.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 3:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Scaper View Post
Thanks for sharing that photo. Wow, Kamloops has a pretty nice skyline going on. Bigger than I thought... I'd love to visit there some day.
It is a great place to visit you will see a lot of street people wondering the streets
And using public spaces for instance the public library if you need to use a washroom you will see people shooting up and sleeping in stalls.Great city to visit.

Last edited by Kbwalter; Dec 15, 2022 at 4:49 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
Beautiful! Reminds me somewhat of Victoria actually.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 11:47 PM
Project manger

Great photo. There are not enough images like that of our city by far.
If it turns out that there are more homeless people being shipped in, like we know there were in the past, then the city has a right to know. Despite what Vancouver progressive's think... We don't need our city turning into the dumpster fire I left when I moved away from the coast. Crime and violence with a splattering of drug use is at epic proportions due to Left wing political choices. The individual who decided to attack you did so because he's petty. Don't shy away from the truth of a subject even when those try to shame you into thinking your wrong to bring it up. We as a city are sick of the garbage our streets are cluttered with.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 5:25 AM

I'd hate to turn this page into another bitch fest about the homeless. We all know there's a problem but this isn't the venue.

Great find HollywoodNorth! Thought this one was worth sharing from Kelly Funks website:

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 5:50 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Wow, that's another great photo. I had no idea that Kamloops was so large and dense. I'm definitely going to visit there next spring/summer.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 5:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VantageHD View Post
I'd hate to turn this page into another bitch fest about the homeless. We all know there's a problem but this isn't the venue.

Great find HollywoodNorth! Thought this one was worth sharing from Kelly Funks website:

The governments best plan on solving the the drug use is by
Decriminalizing drug users.the federal goverment must be high as a kite.
The problem has gotten worse.they need to go after drug dealer and lock them up for good.if your caught with fentanyl/crack and heroine it should be considered murder charge.open up insane insylums again and if your cought stealing or with drugs or mentally ill on the streets.
You lose your rights….

Last edited by Kbwalter; Dec 20, 2022 at 6:05 PM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 10:00 PM
Project manger

I agree completely with you. But perhaps our colleague is correct and we need a specific thread for this. We as Kamloopsians are quite passionate on this topic. I believe forced rehab for a 4 month period is required and a 3 strike policy for crime should be brought into effect. 3 strikes and your gone for min 1 year depending on what the crime is.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINO View Post
I agree completely with you. But perhaps our colleague is correct and we need a specific thread for this. We as Kamloopsians are quite passionate on this topic. I believe forced rehab for a 4 month period is required and a 3 strike policy for crime should be brought into effect. 3 strikes and your gone for min 1 year depending on what the crime is.
That's the right way to do this.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 6:55 PM
Project manger

Northbridge Hotel set for demolition

The longstanding Northbridge Hotel along Tranquille Road is slated for demolition following a city council decision late last year.

In a news release issued Monday afternoon (Jan. 9), the City of Kamloops stated the hotel, which it purchased for redevelopment for $7.15 million — $4 million above assessed value — will be torn down in a bid to make the property more attractive to prospective buyers.

Council voted unanimously during a closed council meeting on Dec. 13, 2022 to tear down the hotel at 377 Tranquille Rd. in North Kamloops which has been a prominent fixture of the Tranquille Corridor since the 1950s.

In addition to attempt to appeal to a broader development market, the city opted to demolish the building to decrease liability associated with the vacant building, and improve the safety and general aesthetic of the area, the release said. The demolition is expected to take place in early 2023.

City staff are now in the process of drafting a request for proposal for the property's redevelopment, the municipal press release stated.

According to the city, all 54 tenants living in 51 rooms of the hotel have now been moved out and rehoused. ASK Wellness, which at one point was managing the building, and BC Housing worked to help find alternative housing for the tenants, with many tenants rehoused with local non-profit housing providers or in market accommodations, according to the release.

“The demolition of this building is positive change for this area,” deputy mayor Dale Bass said. “We look forward to realizing the development potential of this key site to bring more market housing to this neighborhood.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia