HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 5:52 PM

Id be surprised if they’re closing for good considering furniture/home goods stores seem to be doing well lately as far as retail goes in CC (Brooklinen, Saavta, Joybird etc) - it’s the one bright spot in addition to newer formerly online brands. And I doubt it has anything to do with theft - hard to imagine people walking out of there with lamp shades and nick nacks.

They were always kind of an isand unto themselves over there. It’d actually be nice if they took over the former Gap space on Walnut. However, nothing seems official yet so we’ll see…

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
it certainly doesnt help that east chestnut st is on life support- nothing but vacancy and beat up storefronts.
To be fair, that stretch of Chestnut has always been a disaster.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdJay64 View Post
No idea. To be clear, I saw this shared: https://www.metrocommercial.com/wp-c...hestnut-St.pdf

I am assuming this means they are leaving but haven't seen official announcement, sorry for not clarifying before.
Yeah, I’d take those listings with a grain of salt. I learned that after my “Louis Vuitton is coming to Walnut” debacle.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
its worse, the bar is lower now. There is almost no commercial activity between Broad and 11th now.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
More units are good, but this is a huge downgrade at street level. Guess it goes well with the parking lots.
yes eliminating the sidewalk is a bummer

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 9:50 PM

I just stopped by West Elm - everything seemed as it’s its always been and I didn’t see any indications that they’re closing soon. I overheard one of the staff talking with a customer about setting an appointment and working with an in-house decorator long term - seems like that’d be unlikely if they were planning on leaving the area all together anytime soon.

I also walked by the proposed Aritizia space. It looked there was finally a little bit of activity going on inside.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
I just stopped by West Elm - everything seemed as it’s its always been and I didn’t see any indications that they’re closing soon. I overheard one of the staff talking with a customer about setting an appointment and working with an in-house decorator long term - seems like that’d be unlikely if they were planning on leaving the area all together anytime soon.

I also walked by the proposed Aritizia space. It looked there was finally a little bit of activity going on inside.
Leasing marketing has a Q4 2024 date for the Aritizia, no clue how accurate that is. It's also not uncommon for properties to be listed as available and the existing tenant ends up renewing.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2023, 3:26 AM

Spark by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr

West Philadelphia rising by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr

I was truly stunned to see Spark and 3151 Market rising from here. Not long from now we will also see 3201 Cuthbert rising to the right of Avira

Old Posted Oct 17, 2023, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
its worse, the bar is lower now. There is almost no commercial activity between Broad and 11th now.
The arena is going to make a lot of this stretch become very valuable bar/entertainment spaces... in a few years tho.

I wish Starr or someone would take a shot on some of those larger footprint stores and get some energy going again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Not really?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2023, 4:25 PM

Looks like a gym will be moving into the old Sweat on that block: https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...oad-lease.html

Insomnia Cookies, the gym, and Barcade is some nice momentum. I think the owner of Tradesman/Bru is working on a Mediterranean restaurant too? It's been awhile since I've heard about that but I read it last year.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2023, 6:44 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Id be surprised if they’re closing for good considering furniture/home goods stores seem to be doing well lately as far as retail goes in CC (Brooklinen, Saavta, Joybird etc) - it’s the one bright spot in addition to newer formerly online brands. And I doubt it has anything to do with theft - hard to imagine people walking out of there with lamp shades and nick nacks.

They were always kind of an isand unto themselves over there. It’d actually be nice if they took over the former Gap space on Walnut. However, nothing seems official yet so we’ll see…
I would hope, since West Elm has been in CC for almost 20 years. But Williams Sonoma closed a year ago (for the Hyatt renovations), and no signs of a new store anywhere. I like home stores, and always nice/convenient for residents.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2023, 6:46 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdJay64 View Post
Looks like a gym will be moving into the old Sweat on that block: https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...oad-lease.html

Insomnia Cookies, the gym, and Barcade is some nice momentum. I think the owner of Tradesman/Bru is working on a Mediterranean restaurant too? It's been awhile since I've heard about that but I read it last year.
Loch Bar also opened this week in Arthaus, a boost for S. Broad.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2023, 8:19 PM

Center City Retail Update

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...s-midtown.html

A Dunkin' franchisee is "aggressively" expanding on Chestnut Street, with two planned openings in 1204 Chestnut St (the former adult boutique across from the 7/11) and in 1001 Chestnut St (the shuttered Starbucks).

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 2:42 PM

With the seven-year transformation project nearing its completion, Laws said, Comcast Spectator will soon be turning its attention to other projects within the stadium district in South Philadelphia.
"There is a need for a smaller arena for smaller acts, something in the 5,000- to 6,000-seat range," he said.

It's good to know they're still planning something for the space where the Fusion Arena was going to be.

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...MjHD4ct9Tup6wo

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
With the seven-year transformation project nearing its completion, Laws said, Comcast Spectator will soon be turning its attention to other projects within the stadium district in South Philadelphia.
"There is a need for a smaller arena for smaller acts, something in the 5,000- to 6,000-seat range," he said.

It's good to know they're still planning something for the space where the Fusion Arena was going to be.

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...MjHD4ct9Tup6wo
They just need to replicate a version of the battery in Atlanta. Was down there a year ago and it was fantastic. They do not need to reinvent the wheel in the lots in South Philly!

https://www.hgor.com/our-work/battery-atl

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonfire View Post
They just need to replicate a version of the battery in Atlanta. Was down there a year ago and it was fantastic. They do not need to reinvent the wheel in the lots in South Philly!

https://www.hgor.com/our-work/battery-atl
Comcast or whoever owns the lots have been promising a lifestyle center for years now. I understand the Fusion Center didn't go as planned so far. I would love to see another Arena built and maybe more hotels, labs, offices and bars. I have my doubts it will happen but the opportunity exist for the amount of parking existing.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 7:04 PM

Has anyone been near 37th and Chestnut lately? Someone on Reddit said it looks like the new Target was stalled/postponed.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 7:06 PM

We need better gyms in Center City and its environs.

City Fitness isn't cutting it.

I'd love a Lifetime Fitness. Also, the Riverwards (NoLibs, Fishtown, South Kensington, Port Richmond) are a different submarket and we need a least one of everything that's downtown.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 7:48 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
We need better gyms in Center City and its environs.

City Fitness isn't cutting it.

I'd love a Lifetime Fitness. Also, the Riverwards (NoLibs, Fishtown, South Kensington, Port Richmond) are a different submarket and we need a least one of everything that's downtown.
Equinox is still coming to Rittenhouse, although moving extremely slow.
Lifetime is awesome.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Equinox is still coming to Rittenhouse, although moving extremely slow.
Lifetime is awesome.
Understood. But I live in Fishtown and I'm not going to 19th & Walnut to work out. I'm hoping Sprouts will be a big draw in the new Festival Pier development to attract a few other big name tenants like a gym, etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development