HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 2:59 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Don't think I've seen this one posted here yet - Marco Polo office/condo building at Cambie & 49th in Vancouver:

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 3:31 AM

Quite nice - feels very un-Vancouver like. Perhaps something you’d see in Montreal or Quebec.

Going back to the previous page I’m surprised the term Torontoism hasn’t come into play yet in terms of architecture. Their downtown highrise condo tower style is so common and feels unique to the city. At least to the extent it’s replicated and the consistency of style.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 2:04 PM
I am the law!

I like that they visually attempted to break up the block with setbacks. It ultimately fails as it doesn't extend to the boring streetl evel

Vancouverism is about land use through city planning. In my humblest opinion, no city planner would be impressed by "Torontoism" to coin the word. Developers running amok with whatever community planning in place compromised with each settlement. The Transit Oriented Community master plans around new (suburban) transit station development seem to be designed around a housing quota than a desirable higher density community. Shrewd developers will take notice and up that quota even higher.

None of the modernist suburban high rises built in Toronto are failures. They are occupied some 60 years later. They aren't entirely successes either. Their market values, both condo and rental, are meh. The units are airy by comparison The scale is under 20 storeys with typically 3 elevators for around 200 units and 4 for over 300 units.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 6:45 PM
recession proof

It's very typical Vancouver office typography south of False Creek. Poor integration at street level, with the design having a very YVR confused identity. Tighten up the lines, simplify and add more texture to the CRU area to allow successful long term retail mix.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 2:55 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Revised proposal for the Safeway site at Commercial-Broadway: https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/safe...dway-vancouver

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 3:07 PM

Brampton

Bramrose Square | ?m | 68s | Starbank | Turner Fleischer l pre-construction

15 mixed-use towers in a masterplan known as Bramrose Square for surburban Brampton. The 68 storey tower would be the tallest in the city (there’s 65 storeys proposed nearby).

UT

UT

UT

UT

UT

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 3:22 PM
I am the law!

I don't get the point submitting this. This may be the new number one crazy fantasy development in the GTA. This project would be ambitious at half the heights.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 3:25 PM

It's pure fantasy land. Don't take any serious amount of stock in it.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 3:59 PM

i've lived in Brampton for a decade.. this would never get built LMAO...
Brampton is an absolute total dump... wasted potential... it's not even like you're in Canada. While towers will get built..i have no doubt of that... I can't forsee anything remotely in that scale.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 4:17 PM
I am the law!

It's still to be determined if the dominant South Asian population is that interested in living in skyscraper clusters. Heights have gone up but, after a record number of completion in 2023, 2024 and 2025 are back down to the average of 1 or 2 high rises completed a year.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 4:20 PM
video et taceo

This really is a miserable plan. I don't know about you guys, but I came here because I liked skyscrapers as in Lower Manhattan, spires, dramatic vertical outgrowths of complex ground-level patterns.

Not vertical Khruschevkas.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 4:50 PM

Some new marketing renders for sales.

Source: urbantoronto.ca

Address 240 Adelaide St W, Toronto, Ontario, M5H 1W7
Category Residential (Hotel, Condo), Commercial (Retail)
Status Pre-Construction
Number of Buildings 1
Height 719 ft / 219.00 m
Storeys 63
Number of Units 376, 117

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 5:00 PM

^

Freed is collaborating with sbe on the 5 star hotel/dining component. The tower is estimated to cost $800 million.

I'll stick the images (and a couple others) in the Skyscraper Proposals (150m+) thread.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 6:37 PM
Midtowner since 2K

I still fail to see any incentive about visiting Brampton/the destination fact of it that'd justify this density here. Well, that and the lack of transit options really hurt connectivity of the city to the wider region, unless you're taking Go transit or going south to Mississauga/east to Vaughan.

I can't even imagine the hyptothetical parking count of this development, even if it was proposed with half the density.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 6:44 PM
I am the law!

That's more what I expect from a residential skyscraper. The price tag is a little shocking. For that value, I would expect more breathing room from neighbouring properties and office slab to slab heights with ceilings free from mechanical bulkheads and options for like coffered ceilings.

Wish Freed well. I just don't think this one will sell in that range at this location even with a name brand hotel attached to it.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 6:51 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
I still fail to see any incentive about visiting Brampton/the destination fact of it that'd justify this density here. Well, that and the lack of transit options really hurt connectivity of the city to the wider region, unless you're taking Go transit or going south to Mississauga/east to Vaughan.

I can't even imagine the hyptothetical parking count of this development, even if it was proposed with half the density.

There seem to be a whole bunch of these types of proposals popping up around the GTA/Golden Horseshoe of late - large, suburban oriented tower communities on isolated industrial sites, like this one in Waterloo: https://urbantoronto.ca/database/pro...elopment.53798

I don't really see the appeal of this, or the logic from a city building perspective. Human warehousing comes to mind.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 6:56 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
There seem to be a whole bunch of these types of proposals popping up around the GTA/Golden Horseshoe of late - large, suburban oriented tower communities on isolated industrial sites, like this one in Waterloo: https://urbantoronto.ca/database/pro...elopment.53798

I don't really see the appeal of this, or the logic from a city building perspective. Human warehousing comes to mind.
I agree. I suppose this is just to get zoning to flip the land later for higher values, though I can only assume with provincial backing in one to two cases, (like the High Tech lands in Richmond Hill - next to a future Yonge North subway station), a few of these formidably sized developments are more likely to be built out in the coming decade(s).

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 7:02 PM
Community Guy

Not enough moss.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 7:30 PM
I am the law!

Every large footprint shopping area has one these master plans or will have one. i see few redeeming qualities for the majority of these beyond housing a lot of people and getting new Metrolinx customers. Worst case scenario and, in my humbliest opinion, the likeliest outcome given the numbers is that one or two phases are built before stalling out leaving a small cluster of high rises next to weed lots.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 8:42 PM

239 Dundas East | 163.6m | 52s | Metropia | Turner Fleischer l pre-construction

This affordable rental, condo and retail tower has returned with dramatically-smaller floor-plates and an increase in height to 52 storeys.

UT

UT

UT

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada