HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Looks great.

Now to get on with twinning the rest of the TCH in BC - only, what, 300km left?
It would be nice if the feds commenced with the next 40km in Yoho Park that has already complete preliminary design, but there is still no funding for that. It would make Golden east fully twinned.

I feel like now that Kicking Horse is done, which really needed to be addressed for capacity and safety reasons, the focus should be on getting more kms done through cheap sections.

So far the BC Government seems to be focusing on the expensive parts first, which is a curious strategy to me.. All the major bridge structures, etc. seem to be getting done before the cheap open straightaways. Politically you could get a lot more KMs done cheaper and appear to be making more "progress" on the twinning if the focus was on the cheap parts.

Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
That will definitely be another 100 million + per km section. My feeling now is should we spend the big bucks for another challenging choke point, or spend that money on some more relatively cheap sections, such as between Golden and Donald, and get some more KMs done.
I would rather that be spent on accident-prone stretches like east of Revelstoke…
There are simply too many fatalities there.
The same can be said about Yoho but we will have to pressure the federal government somehow…

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I would rather that be spent on accident-prone stretches like east of Revelstoke…
There are simply too many fatalities there.
The same can be said about Yoho but we will have to pressure the federal government somehow…
I do get that strategy. It seems that they are dipping their toes into that stretch east of Revelstoke with the recent announced 2.6KM twinning project between Jumping Creek and MacDonald Snowshed. That may seem small but the project will involve some viaducts and will cost nearly 250 million. We really do need more support from the feds.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 4:27 PM

Quote:
I feel like now that Kicking Horse is done, which really needed to be addressed for capacity and safety reasons, the focus should be on getting more kms done through cheap sections.

So far the BC Government seems to be focusing on the expensive parts first, which is a curious strategy to me.. All the major bridge structures, etc. seem to be getting done before the cheap open straightaways. Politically you could get a lot more KMs done cheaper and appear to be making more "progress" on the twinning if the focus was on the cheap parts.
I think that doing the expensive/more challenging parts first makes the most sense. Doing them sooner instead of waiting until the end will minimize inflation on the construction costs of these segments over time (costs could inflate faster for these sections given the complexity). Doing it this way might end up resulting in an ultimately lower total cost for the highway twinning.

Another factor to consider is safety and how that plays into the growing use of this corridor for logistics. The industrial land shortage in the Lower Mainland is resulting in an increasing amount of industrial or commercial capacity preferring to relocate or centralize their western Canadian operations to Calgary/Edmonton and ship out to Vancouver, meaning you’ll see a lot more trucks here in the future, much like we see on the 401 in Ontario today. Dealing with the most dangerous sections first is a way of getting ahead of this trend to minimize potential accidents. If trucks are dangerous on the 401, they are especially dangerous here.

I’m ultimately happy to see KHC finally done, and am looking forward to the next phases of twinning starting. The feds really need to help out more though. This is shaping up to be one of the most important highway corridors in the country and it needs to be ready for a future of heavy Alberta-BC commerce.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 4:41 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Assuming that Alberta doesn’t actually secede, that is.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 5:18 PM

definitely don't disagree. the state of inter-city highway corridors in western Canada as a whole is generally pretty poor. I would love federal program to upgrade all major highway corridors in the west to be stoplight-free and 4 lanes. I think that's a pretty minimum standard we should be aiming for, and Western Canada has a long way to go to achieve that.

The stoplight-free part may not be practical in the BC component of the TCH, but would still be a nice goal.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 8:43 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Looks great.

Now to get on with twinning the rest of the TCH in BC - only, what, 300km left?
I read that and also thought "only 300 km left" but it's still a third of the route from Vancouver to Calgary that isn't done.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I read that and also thought "only 300 km left" but it's still a third of the route from Vancouver to Calgary that isn't done.
At the pace they are currently building, that 300km will be done, by, say, 2100 or so!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 9:24 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I’m starting to be okay with that.
Many parts of the world have had roads for millennia but only got freeway networks as recently as a century ago.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2023, 6:01 AM

Quote:
definitely don't disagree. the state of inter-city highway corridors in western Canada as a whole is generally pretty poor. I would love federal program to upgrade all major highway corridors in the west to be stoplight-free and 4 lanes. I think that's a pretty minimum standard we should be aiming for, and Western Canada has a long way to go to achieve that.

The stoplight-free part may not be practical in the BC component of the TCH, but would still be a nice goal.
Arguably being stoplight-free through through the BC interior probably wouldn't be that difficult because it's sparsely populated. With exception of Salmon Arm, the TCH is limited(ish) access through it's more urban areas. It will never be built Interstate or 400-series standards and will require federal funding, but it could be doable. Saying that, I'll take four lanes first.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2023, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post
Arguably being stoplight-free through through the BC interior probably wouldn't be that difficult because it's sparsely populated. With exception of Salmon Arm, the TCH is limited(ish) access through it's more urban areas. It will never be built Interstate or 400-series standards and will require federal funding, but it could be doable. Saying that, I'll take four lanes first.
I do know from several sources that the plan is for the #1 to be traffic lights free, using a combination of interchanges, protected-Ts, and in the most rural of spots the centre refuge. Salmon Arm is the only really tricky spot in this endeavor. A base study has already been done for taking out the traffic lights in east Kamloops.

This is what makes the use of a traffic light in Field (Yoho Park) as part of the never coming upgrades by the feds so insulting.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2023, 10:36 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...187593&page=87 #1740
The truly insulting part is not proceeding to 4 laning TCH through National Parks.
As for the interchange… yea that light can be infuriating, but the mountain behind means that the interchange will look substandard.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2023, 12:17 AM

Old Posted Dec 3, 2023, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...187593&page=87 #1740
The truly insulting part is not proceeding to 4 laning TCH through National Parks.
As for the interchange… yea that light can be infuriating, but the mountain behind means that the interchange will look substandard.
Removing the gas station and visitor centre would free up some space. Or somehow combining the Field access road with the Emerald Lake Road into one interchange, having the access road run parallel to the TCH?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2023, 11:30 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post
Removing the gas station and visitor centre would free up some space. Or somehow combining the Field access road with the Emerald Lake Road into one interchange, having the access road run parallel to the TCH?
I wouldn’t agree with option 1 because that’d either take away the only rest stop before Golden (WB) or make it a lot harder to access.
As for the second one… one would need to analyze the geology to find out.
Sometimes I wonder if it’s possible to extend the service roads into Alberta too. I’ve been salty that B.C. took out the old Parks Bridge east of Golden.

Ps: I just saw on the map that there’s a parallel road to the south of the “lake”. I guess a consolidated interchange access at Emerald Lake Road with EB RIRO at Field Access is possible as long as it’s environmentally cleared. The gas station and rest stop will have to be relocated there though.

PS2: https://maps.app.goo.gl/W5yYTBxpZ5tUXg6M8?g_st=ic
I just realized how dangerously deceptive this setup is.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2023, 11:04 PM

So I just did some quick counting and now with the Kicking Horse complete since the #1 twinning program started 77ish KM have been twinned under provincial jurisdiction in BC and 7KM have been twinned under federal jurisdiction.

Currently 22ish KM are in various stages of construction and pre-construction under provincial jurisdiction and 0KM under federal.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 4:17 AM

Quote:
At the pace they are currently building, that 300km will be done, by, say, 2100 or so!
Their goal is to be done by 2050.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 4:18 AM

Going through the mountains is harder to twin due to environmental factors and short construction seasons. But at least we are making progress

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 8:39 PM

I agree with the strategy of doing the most difficult or dangerous stretches of the Trans-Canada before the easy stretches. If you think these projects are expensive now, just wait till 30 years from now!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada