HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 1:30 AM

New Blackhawks/Bulls facility (against the UC), set to break ground in spring and finish by mid-2016. It will house predominantly office space for the organizations and house a new Blackhawks/Bulls store. 190,000 SF.
Reinsdorf noted that the to-be vacant office space in the UC will be repurposed for fan usage. I'm curious what that will entail.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 3:32 AM

Re:restoration on Milwakee in Wicker Park: I'm guessing that Landmarks made them keep as much of the historic fabric as they could, lean and all. If they had rebuilt the exterior walls there wouldn't have been much if anything left.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 3:51 AM

Yes, please. To both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
1051 West Lake Street
11 floors
75 units
55kSF retail/commercial
140 parking spaces
135ft

More at Chicago Architecture Blog

Nobu
8 floors
93 keys
0 parking spaces
111ft

More at Chicago Architecture Blog

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
1051 West Lake Street
11 floors
75 units
55kSF retail/commercial
140 parking spaces
135ft
Damn, that's a high parking ratio. Is a grocery anchoring the retail space? Otherwise, I see no reason why it should be this high if it's only 2 blocks from the Morgan stop.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLibertine View Post
Yes, please. To both.
Nobu is a great addition to the area (although I wish they'd done something a bit more architecturally adventurous).

Lake and Aberdeen is a different beast. I'd love to see 75 units added to that corner (actually, I'd like to see ~75 units added to each of the three now-demolished corners of that intersection). But putting 140 units of parking under those 75 units seems excessive. This place is less than 600ft from the new Morgan El station, they should be halving their unit count for parking, not doubling it!

Edit:
Actually, on second look, the article doesn't really call attention to it, but the images show that there will be 2 floors (40k sf) of office space at Lake and Aberdeen, in addition to ground floor retail, which makes the parking ratio a bit less absurd.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Damn, that's a high parking ratio. Is a grocery anchoring the retail space? Otherwise, I see no reason why it should be this high if it's only 2 blocks from the Morgan stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetline View Post
Nobu is a great addition to the area (although I wish they'd done something a bit more architecturally adventurous).

Lake and Aberdeen is a different beast. I'd love to see 75 units added to that corner (actually, I'd like to see ~75 units added to each of the three now-demolished corners of that intersection). But putting 140 units of parking under those 75 units seems excessive. This place is less than 600ft from the new Morgan El station, they should be halving their unit count for parking, not doubling it!

Edit:
Actually, on second look, the article doesn't really call attention to it, but the images show that there will be 2 floors (40k sf) of office space at Lake and Aberdeen, in addition to ground floor retail, which makes the parking ratio a bit less absurd.
It's still pretty fucking absurd. Two blocks from a 'L' station!

nope nope nope nope nope

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Damn, that's a high parking ratio. Is a grocery anchoring the retail space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetline View Post
But putting 140 units of parking under those 75 units seems excessive. This place is less than 600ft from the new Morgan El station, they should be halving their unit count for parking, not doubling it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
It's still pretty fucking absurd. Two blocks from a 'L' station!

nope nope nope nope nope

Per The Chicago Architecture Blog, of the proposed 140 parking spaces, 65 are for residents, and 75 for public parking.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewaterman11 View Post

New Blackhawks/Bulls facility (against the UC), set to break ground in spring and finish by mid-2016. It will house predominantly office space for the organizations and house a new Blackhawks/Bulls store. 190,000 SF.
Reinsdorf noted that the to-be vacant office space in the UC will be repurposed for fan usage. I'm curious what that will entail.
wish it could have held the street edge....

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 3:00 PM
The City

^ It is.

The store will be along the sidewalk.

I think this design makes sense as the parking area for the office building can eventually be developed into retail/entertainment which was planned early on. Besides, this is all a sea of parking right now anyhow, so it's an improvement.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 3:20 PM

I don't know how this slipped this message board. Does Related even have anything affordable? They're either going to convert these to market rate or they're getting into a new line of business....

Big affordable-housing deal includes Old Town complex

By Ryan Ori
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+
Following its record-setting sale of a luxury high-rise downtown, Related Midwest is acquiring a Chicago-based affordable-housing landlord whose 4,000-unit portfolio includes the sprawling Marshall Field Garden Apartment Homes complex in Old Town.

Related is close to taking control of Metroplex and the 628-unit Marshall Field property just south of the Brown Line's Sedgwick station, according to someone with knowledge of the deal.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...d-town-complex

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 3:22 PM

ALSO:

Apartment investors bet on Obama library boost

A venture of Washington-based NOVO Development paid $2.4 million for a 51-unit apartment complex at 5606-24 S. Wabash Ave. in Washington Park, according to Cook County property records. “(We) think 55th Street is going to be seeing a lot of improvements,” said Jamie Glascott, a Chicago-based partner at NOVO. “We like the possibility of the Obama library coming to 55th.” The firm bought the building from an affiliate of local investor Michael Ruiz, who paid $2.4 million for it in 2007, according to county records.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 3:46 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I don't know how this slipped this message board. Does Related even have anything affordable? They're either going to convert these to market rate or they're getting into a new line of business....

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...d-town-complex

Yes, of course they do - they've been involved in the redevelopment of former CHA projects.....the one on the near wsw side - forget its name.....and also aren't they doing Lathrop??

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Yes, of course they do - they've been involved in the redevelopment of former CHA projects.....the one on the near wsw side - forget its name.....and also aren't they doing Lathrop??
Part of the Lathrop thing does involve affordable, but it also involves many market rate housing units.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:39 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Part of the Lathrop thing does involve affordable, but it also involves many market rate housing units.

Roosevelt Square - I think that's the name of their other one....

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 10:30 PM
TL;DR

Convert the Marshall Field Garden Apartments to market rate and you're basically pricing out the lion's share of poor black people from Old Town. The racial dynamics of that area are kinda weird but at least it's semi-integrated.

Are there any restrictions on those buildings keeping them as affordable housing? It predates the CHA, but maybe there are deed restrictions that cap the rents that can be charged.

Those are beautiful New York style buildings and that courtyard could be something really special given the right renovation. I think I'd rather maintain the affordable housing than see a market rate conversion though.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Convert the Marshall Field Garden Apartments to market rate and you're basically pricing out the lion's share of poor black people from Old Town. The racial dynamics of that area are kinda weird but at least it's semi-integrated.

Are there any restrictions on those buildings keeping them as affordable housing? It predates the CHA, but maybe there are deed restrictions that cap the rents that can be charged.

Those are beautiful New York style buildings and that courtyard could be something really special given the right renovation. I think I'd rather maintain the affordable housing than see a market rate conversion though.
When HUD sold it, it was supposed to remain low income for 25 years(backed up by $6 million in annual rent subsidies)

That was '91 or '92, so it is just about to come out of the restriction.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 12:29 AM
dream fast

1/23

1815 W Division - construction trailers moved in after I took this shot

http://news.eastvillagechicago.org/2...peel-back.html

1660 W Division

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20141...-st-apartments

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 12:34 AM

I'm not sure if this was posted already, but apparently the 120-unit building at Milwaukee and Talman got approval and is going to open by Spring 2016.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150...ises-questions

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 12:39 AM
The City

^. Those developments rock

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 12:51 AM
dream fast

1/23

Reckless Records bought an entire building at 1379 N. Milwaukee Ave. Billed as a Reckless Mega store, the two-story shop will offer ...

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...aims-expansion

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development