HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
I'm a big supporter of private sector unions because they are a necessary counterweight to the profit motive of corporations. No such profit motive exists in the public sector. If anything, the interests are reversed and it's the union that has the profit motive and the elected officials are dependent on the votes of those same union members to win re-election. Public sector union members essentially get to vote for their boss, so they'll obviously choose whoever is promising to give them the biggest raise. This has been the story for the past many decades and part of why the City of Chicago is so broke right now. Lightfoot, to her credit, is trying to break this cycle even if it costs her dearly in the next election. She is the one displaying the real courage here.
That's what I love about her. I believe she even said as much in her victory speech--something along hte lines of "I'm not here to be a career politician, so I'll do what I think is right even if it means I'm a one-term mayor."

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/10...tes-cps-friday

If this is true, this is really frustrating. Get your ass to the negotiating table, Sharkey, and away from the press.

I fully support CPS getting all the additional support staff they need. Hope this is resolved soon.
Sharkey is a POS. The guy has absolutely no desire to negotiate. There were like 12 CTU protesters downtown today. I think the teachers are getting sick of him too. CTU was texting ridiculous proganda to its members last night. Even the teachers are tired of it.He doesn't care about anything other than making a political statement.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
they fought for their benefits over a very long period of time, why would you denigrate them for having done so? its not magic, its constant struggle. shes your peer in the struggle for better pay and better conditions and better rights. that struggle never ends because as we've seen it will be wrestled right back without a second thought. if you want the same sorts of advantages, it comes with mobilization and activism and organizing within your given profession. workers hold all the power in the world but it only matters if its exercised. or you can just keep bashing unions and wondering why their quality of life is better and why you're getting taken advantage of in the private sector.
Because in IT they will fire you immediately if you try to do that stuff, and hire someone else to do your job. You sound like Karl Marx , did you ever read the Jungle? It was about Chicago 100 years ago, but not much has changed in the private sector.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Because in IT they will fire you immediately if you try to do that stuff, and hire someone else to do your job.
its illegal to fire someone for unionizing, and you would have cause for a labor lawsuit if it were to occur. this is the whole point of the National Labor Relations Act. due to historically high pay and limited labor, unionization has not taken as strong root in the tech industry, but there are movements today underway as the industry becomes comoditized and workplace conditions become worse. we are all workers facing the same power struggle, regardless of industry. Indeed, its only through collective power and bargaining that workers are not jettisoned as they begin to get to peak earning years in favor of new hires for little pay.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/08/t...rganizing.html

Quote:
Just because many tech workers appear skeptical of unions, and so many tech companies have avoided unions, doesn’t mean they will indefinitely. Mar Hicks, a historian who has written extensively about labor in the tech sector, said the kinds of actions many workers had already taken, like the walkouts, were often precursors to unionizing. Workers eventually realize that their confrontations with management won’t deliver lasting improvements without a formal organization to back them up.

Some tech employees grasp that logic already. “I never felt I needed a union before,” said Frédéric Harper, a former NPM employee who participated in the organizing effort and N.L.R.B. case. “I reached a point where I think it’s maybe a good idea, maybe it’s needed.”
Quote:
You sound like Karl Marx , did you ever read the Jungle? It was about Chicago 100 years ago, but not much has changed in the private sector.
is this intended as an insult? Marx was on your side, and saw the imbalance in power between worker and employer for what it was. you sound frustrated with your industry and the lack of protections and benefits, and for good reason! yes ive read marx, and the jungle too. the vast mobilization that came as a result of that expose resulted in widespread unionization in the industry as well as stringent worker protection laws, which brought a middle class life to workers in the industry. those gains have fallen away as worker rights have systematically been chipped away at by the right for the past several decades. as i said, it is a constant struggle. if things have been slow to change, it is because individuals fighting for better lives are demonized by their peers. i cheer on anyone who is fighting to improve workplace conditions and benefits, as that trickles down to all of us, even the non-unionized. it is FEAR that keeps people controlled, but if every worker walked off the job tomorrow, what would the recourse actually be? this is the whole reason unions hold power. one person walking out will be run over by a freight train. tens of thousands strong can send a real message that affects actual change and improvements in lives. we are stronger as a whole than as individuals. workers of the world unite, friend

Last edited by Via Chicago; Oct 18, 2019 at 9:19 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
From the Tribune in January:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...115-story.html

I generally support unions but the CTU is ridiculous. They (seem to, at least) negotiate in bad faith and with total disregard of the health of the city as a whole.
I'll support private unions until the day I die. The above comment is why I believe public unions should be illegal. They literally take bribes from politicians for votes. They act like thugs.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 7:47 PM

Has anyone noticed the counterpoint being discussed in the media or has the narrative always been, "oh the CTU are on strike. . . blah blah blah". . . I'm wondering if there is any discussion with people in the private sector - such as myself - who don't have any dog in the fight other than that of a taxpayer. . .

Seems like a one sided fight with the CTU getting all the attention. . . I suppose that's what they want. . .

. . .

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 10:30 PM
devout Pizzatarian

* posts deleted *

keep in mind, if you can't keep your comments contained to local political issues, or if you can't express an opinion in a mature fashion, your posts in this thread will be summarily deleted.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
Has anyone noticed the counterpoint being discussed in the media or has the narrative always been, "oh the CTU are on strike. . . blah blah blah". . . I'm wondering if there is any discussion with people in the private sector - such as myself - who don't have any dog in the fight other than that of a taxpayer. . .

Seems like a one sided fight with the CTU getting all the attention. . . I suppose that's what they want. . .

. . .
Chicago Tonight had a panel of local parents on Monday night--2 in support of the strike and 2 against.

Crains also has pretty balanced coverage.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Chicago Tonight had a panel of local parents on Monday night--2 in support of the strike and 2 against.

Crains also has pretty balanced coverage.
I'm always curious where the supporters think the money will come from. CPS has massive pension debt with payments that will be increasing by almost a billion in a few years time. Money hasn't been identified for that yet and they want to spend another couple billion on nurses, social workers and librarians?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 6:07 PM

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 6:09 PM

Also I was late to work today because a mob of people with - what I can only assume were - CTU peace protesters got in my way as I was heading out. . .

. . . and because of that I will not support the teachers union, children or anyone associated with this debacle! They should all die! [/jk][/rant]

. . .

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 7:39 PM

Can someone help me understand this:

I live in the 47th Ward, and was reviewing the devlepments in the pipeline on the alderman's website. I found that some were subject to ZAC (zoning advisory council) review. From what I can see, this council is an anonymous group appointed by the alderman that meets once a month(?) behind closed doors to approve or deny zoning changes and permits.

Is there any good reason for having an anonymous council appointed by the alderman meeting behind closed doors beyond simple corruption? I e-mailed the alderman's office (which didn't have simple contact info anywhere on the site, I had to dig around online) and am awaiting a response, but I'm sure I won't get a straight answer. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt though and perhaps I'm not thinking of an important detail as to why this would be necessary...

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Can someone help me understand this:

I live in the 47th Ward, and was reviewing the devlepments in the pipeline on the alderman's website. I found that some were subject to ZAC (zoning advisory council) review. From what I can see, this council is an anonymous group appointed by the alderman that meets once a month(?) behind closed doors to approve or deny zoning changes and permits.

Is there any good reason for having an anonymous council appointed by the alderman meeting behind closed doors beyond simple corruption? I e-mailed the alderman's office (which didn't have simple contact info anywhere on the site, I had to dig around online) and am awaiting a response, but I'm sure I won't get a straight answer. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt though and perhaps I'm not thinking of an important detail as to why this would be necessary...
Ugh, that's Matt Martin. Good luck, he is almost as bad as Rosa.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockerzzz View Post
BREAKING NEWS: The CTU is terrible.
This is beyond ridiculous. CPS offered a fair 5 year contract as proposed by an independent arbitrator. The CTU is legally only allowed to strike about money. But they are striking about all sorts of crazy shit. We as citizens are held hostage because we are afraid to stand up and say we don't support the union. You want to send your kid back to class when the teachers know you didn't support the union? The CTU has way too much power.

And I have to ask if anyone knows what a bus aide is? I keep reading CTU propaganda about how poorly paid bus aides are. Of course with no context.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
And I have to ask if anyone knows what a bus aide is? I keep reading CTU propaganda about how poorly paid bus aides are. Of course with no context.
They are primarily there to keep the kids in line (ie, not start fights, throw shit out windows, etc.) and allows the driver to focus on driving not babysitting a bunch of unruly kids. I'd say they're probably needed on some bus routes in the city.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
They are primarily there to keep the kids in line (ie, not start fights, throw shit out windows, etc.) and allows the driver to focus on driving not babysitting a bunch of unruly kids. I'd say they're probably needed on some bus routes in the city.
How long do they work per day? What is their pay for that? How many buses does CPS even have? Most kids walk to school, are driven or take CTA.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 5:33 PM

WTF is a Restorative Justice Coordinator? Affordable housing? So now, in a corrupt city that blocks housing developments left and right, that drives up housing costs intentionally, now wants to spend more taxpayer dollars paying someone to lobby and bribe the aldercritters to not block the housing anymore?

Chicago is broken.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
WTF is a Restorative Justice Coordinator? Affordable housing? So now, in a corrupt city that blocks housing developments left and right, that drives up housing costs intentionally, now wants to spend more taxpayer dollars paying someone to lobby and bribe the aldercritters to not block the housing anymore?

Chicago is broken.
I agree, but It's what the citizens of this city want - they keep voting for the same corruption every voting cycle.

The politicians are squeezing every dollar out of the tax payers, there is too much dead weight in this city not contributing, and no way to fix the problems with pensions.

The city does not understand that without pension reform, all the city can do is continue to raise taxes.

My property taxes have effectively doubled in the last several years....DOUBLED.

I've given this city a fair chance, but our primary residence is going on the market in the spring, and we are leaving the State. 100% because of the incompetence of the people running this city.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
I agree, but It's what the citizens of this city want - they keep voting for the same corruption every voting cycle.

The politicians are squeezing every dollar out of the tax payers, there is too much dead weight in this city not contributing, and no way to fix the problems with pensions.

The city does not understand that without pension reform, all the city can do is continue to raise taxes.

My property taxes have effectively doubled in the last several years....DOUBLED.

I've given this city a fair chance, but our primary residence is going on the market in the spring, and we are leaving the State. 100% because of the incompetence of the people running this city.
Out of curiosity, where are you headed?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Out of curiosity, where are you headed?
I wanted to move back to NYC, where I'm from, and where I met my wife. My wife is from Minneapolis, and wanted to be closer to her family. So we compromised, and decided to move to Minneapolis.

I'm keeping my rental properties in Chicago, and I'll still be based in Chicago for my 9-5, but we are building on a lot we own on Lake Minnetonka in a neighborhood called Cottagewood. It's a quaint little town, and close to a couple walkable areas, but it's def the burbs.

My wife just couldn't handle another tour in NYC, even Brownstone Brooklyn. The Southport corridor (where we live currently) is the perfect blend of city and suburbs, but there is too much uncertainty for me with the fiscal situation to stay.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest