HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 11:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTrans View Post
Having returned from a trip to Norway this summer it is interesting to note that there are very few police on the highways. This is probably because if your gross annual income is greater than 30,000$ your fine is 10% of your annual gross income plus a mandatory 18 days in jail. As a result very few people speed. The police spend most of their time solving crimes not being traffic cops.
That is due to the way their legal system works. I'd like to see that here, but it would never happen.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2022, 12:36 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
That is due to the way their legal system works. I'd like to see that here, but it would never happen.
Plus $30K is a very low threshold by Canadian standard.
It sucks in Norway then. When the red circle says 110 kph, they really mean 110 kph, even if it’s 4-lane divided.
I don’t like that their freeways usually have little to no shoulders.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2022, 12:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Plus $30K is a very low threshold by Canadian standard.
It sucks in Norway then. When the red circle says 110 kph, they really mean 110 kph…
North America has artificially low highway speeds.
Proof? The Coq was posted for 120 km/hr.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2022, 3:00 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Behold the proposed new roundabout at Port Hastings in NS (entry onto Cape Breton Island, and a portion of the TCH):

photo posted on the Atlantic Canada Highways thread

$15M and two years to construct if approved.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2022, 8:18 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Enough with the frickin’ roundabouts on the National Highway.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2022, 10:18 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Enough with the frickin’ roundabouts on the National Highway.
Further west is a causeway that can be disrupted by marine commercial traffic, so it’s whatever.
@swimmer_spe and I had a lively discussion of a bridge over the Canso Straight:

It’ll be a costly bridge though, like in the billions.
Ps: I found out later on that the extension of the super-2 between N.S. Trunk 4 and N.S.-105 would follow (closely) the proposal in red so you could ignore the orange one.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2022, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Behold the proposed new roundabout at Port Hastings in NS (entry onto Cape Breton Island, and a portion of the TCH)
Looks like a slightly "warmer" mess than the existing "hot" mess that includes actual cross-over lanes.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 11:07 PM

Does anyone know the long-term plans for the TCH on Cape Breton Island? If a highway was twinned from the Canso Causeway to Sidney, would it follow TCH 105 or an extended Hwy 104? It's interesting that TCH 105 is the only stretch of the Trans-Canada Highway that's not part of the National Highway System, which follows Hwy 4/104.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 11:10 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post
Does anyone know the long-term plans for the TCH on Cape Breton Island? If a highway was twinned from the Canso Causeway to Sidney, would it follow TCH 105 or an extended Hwy 104? It's interesting that TCH 105 is the only stretch of the Trans-Canada Highway that's not part of the National Highway System, which follows Hwy 4/104.
There are plans for extending 104 to 125 at Sydney. If that ever happens, even if it’s not built to 4 lanes right from the get go, it’s still easier to twin than the 105 on the north side of Bras d’Or Lake, which has a hairpin(!) turn.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 5:27 AM
BANNED

Improvements of the highway includes.... traffic lights?

Sudbury area of Highway 17, they have added 2 traffic lights.One at Garson Coniston Rd and one at Highway 537. Normally, I am not one for adding lights to highways, but these 2 roads are hard to run left out of onto the highway. It also adds more proof there is need to 4 lane that area.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 9:05 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Improvements of the highway includes.... traffic lights?

Sudbury area of Highway 17, they have added 2 traffic lights.One at Garson Coniston Rd and one at Highway 537. Normally, I am not one for adding lights to highways, but these 2 roads are hard to run left out of onto the highway. It also adds more proof there is need to 4 lane that area.
And next thing you know, traffic light on the bypass @ Fielding Road and @ Southview Drive too.
Actually, the AADT surpasses 10K on that stretch of staged freeway already, so MTO may simply proceed to twin and grade-separate them. There will be no interchanges between Lively and Long Lake Road anyway, based on what I’ve obtained from MTO.
As for Coniston and Wanahpitae, maybe building 4 lanes from scratch costs too much for now.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 5:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
And next thing you know, traffic light on the bypass @ Fielding Road and @ Southview Drive too.
Actually, the AADT surpasses 10K on that stretch of staged freeway already, so MTO may simply proceed to twin and grade-separate them. There will be no interchanges between Lively and Long Lake Road anyway, based on what I’ve obtained from MTO.
As for Coniston and Wanahpitae, maybe building 4 lanes from scratch costs too much for now.
I am assuming 17 won't be touched till 69 is 4 lanes. So, maybe in 20 years.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 6:02 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
I am assuming 17 won't be touched till 69 is 4 lanes. So, maybe in 20 years.
Most likely, that’ll be the case. But if the traffic volume on Sudbury bypass gets out of hand, MTO may act. (It seems to be the 2nd busiest 2-lane stretch after Renfrew Bypass, and it has minimal passing opportunities.) The current 17 & 69 interchange right outside of Sudbury can technically be left as is, even as 17’s being twinned.
I’ve always been amazed (in a good way) that that interchange was built with divided 4 lanes for the 17 right from the get-go even though it’d revert to 2 lanes on both ends. It’s unique in Ontario.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 6:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Most likely, that’ll be the case. But if the traffic volume on Sudbury bypass gets out of hand, MTO may act. (It seems to be the 2nd busiest 2-lane stretch after Renfrew Bypass, and it has minimal passing opportunities.) The current 17 & 69 interchange right outside of Sudbury can technically be left as is, even as 17’s being twinned.
I’ve always been amazed (in a good way) that that interchange was built with divided 4 lanes for the 17 right from the get-go even though it’d revert to 2 lanes on both ends. It’s unique in Ontario.
The only way I can see the Southeast Bypass being twinned is if there is a government that matches the local MPP. That would mean an NDP government in Ontario.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 6:33 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
The only way I can see the Southeast Bypass being twinned is if there is a government that matches the local MPP. That would mean an NDP government in Ontario.
Or a liberal-NDP coalition at the provincial level: Wasn’t that how the divided 4 lanes were mapped out (though never built) in the eastern exurb of Sudbury?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 6:40 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Or a liberal-NDP coalition at the provincial level: Wasn’t that how the divided 4 lanes were mapped out (though never built) in the eastern exurb of Sudbury?
IIRC, some preliminary engineering / route planning was done. Other than that, not much has happened.

That section of 17 has a lot of volume as it is a commuter route from Wahnapitae and points east into the city.

A bypass (even just two lanes) would move the longer-haul traffic off and stuff going to the western/southern part of the city.

The section would still be pretty busy as a municipal road.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 6:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That would work too.

There is an eastern alignment of 17 planned from MR 55 lights to somewhere around Markstay. It was also planned that the Maley Dr extension would connect to it.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 1:51 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://hwy104twinning.ca/
I didn’t know that the consortium has already opened 9 km of twinned N.S.-104 between Sutherlands River and Antigonish.
I thought the plan was to open all 38 km in one go.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 1:14 PM

Nova Scotia's Highway 104 is now a four lane divided (controlled access) freeway from the New Brunswick border to the east of Antigonish, Nova Scotia a total of 232 km in length.

There is now 800 km of four lane divided freeway (controlled access) from Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha!, Quebec to Antigonish, Nova Scotia.

Just waiting on Quebec to open the final twinned portion of the A85 in a few years to complete the Eastern Canada interprovincial freeway system from Windsor, Ontario to Halifax and/or Antigonish, NS.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 1:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Nice photos!

Everyone leaving Cape Breton???

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada