HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 8:16 PM

It continues...

Third choice emerges in courthouse battle
by JOHN LUCIEW, Of The Patriot News
Monday February 11, 2008, 2:56 PM

Today's congressional hearing produced a potential compromise in the deadlock over where to build Harrisburg's new federal courthouse.

U.S. District Judge Christopher C. Conner suggested building the $135 million project at South Second and Paxton streets, a site that has been favored by Mayor Stephen R. Reed and was on a list of 10 alternatives reviewed by the federal agency overseeing the project.

Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., who organized the afternoon hearing at Harrisburg Area Community College's midtown campus, joined Sen. Bob Casey Jr., D-Pa., and U.S. Rep. Tim Holden, D-Schuylkill County, in urging both sides to study the option as a potential path to compromise.

However, officials with the federal General Services Administration said there would be major hurdles in building the courthouse within the city's 100-year floodplain.

GSA officials said a feasibility study of the site would cost $500,000. That's on top of the $2 million the agency has spent since 2004 studying sites in Harrisburg for the courthouse, including a just-concluded $300,000 comparison of two rival locations.

Reed and a coalition of citizen groups and businesses favor building the courthouse at a mostly vacant site at Sixth and Reily streets in the city's in midtown.

But in a just-concluded a study ordered by Congress, GSA said its analysis supports keeping Harrisburg's federal courthouse downtown at Third and Walnut streets.

Federal officials want to replace the Ronald Reagan Federal Office Building and Courthouse because the high-rise does not meet security standards set after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

Reed wants the courthouse to anchor midtown redevelopment, but GSA officials said their study indicates the courthouse would not be the development magnet that the mayor claims.

The agency's plan call for demolishing the existing courthouse building and temporarily relocating the courtrooms and related agencies in rented space for as much as $31 million until the new building is built sometime 2012.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 10:42 PM
Me?!?

Reed wants the courthouse to anchor midtown redevelopment, but GSA officials said their study indicates the courthouse would not be the development magnet that the mayor claims.

I completely agree with them on this one and I still think 6th and Reily isn't that great of a spot...it's far enough away from DT to be disconnected enough to not have anything useful around it. Plus that side of town is pretty crummy, and being that it's Harrisburg, it will take yrs. for development to pop up, so...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 2:26 AM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post

I completely agree with them on this one and I still think 6th and Reily isn't that great of a spot...it's far enough away from DT to be disconnected enough to not have anything useful around it. Plus that side of town is pretty crummy, and being that it's Harrisburg, it will take yrs. for development to pop up, so...
I'll Kinda agree with what you say. I think the Paxton and 2nd could be good if traffic was reworked to not be impossible. Currently that area can get a little "congested" during rush hour. It would help downtown move into that flood plain. If things are regraded similiar to the southern gateway plan.... well its a thought. Doubt it would be allowed to happen without Herr Reed still in control.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 3:23 AM

JerseyMike.org - Recalling Mayor Reed

What comes to immediate mind is The Incinerator Debacle ($300 Million and counting), The Harrisburg Authority Legal Bill Fiasco ($1 Million and counting), The Wild West Museum Snafu ($25 Million? Does anyone really know?) and quite recently, The Parking Garage Land Swap Flim Flam (not really a loss…yet, but it’s kind of like taking a couple million dollars from your left pocket and placing it directly into your right).

The message boards and blogosphere light up with each new found puddle of filth left behind in the trail of money and power hungry politicos in this town…all on the backs of the citizens…the taxpayers.

Taxpayer monies- over one million dollars (or ten new police officers, a bunch of new police cars, new fire equipment, etcetera) was just spent on an absolutely FRIVOLOUS and UNNECESSARY lawsuit to maintain control of The Harrisburg Authority.

That MILLION DOLLARS was WASTED.

PISSED AWAY.

And our police officers are clunking around in 1994 Caprice Classics that are LESS reliable than my beat up old Saab. (Seriously.)

Over the years, people have uttered the word “impeach” with regards to Mayor Steven Reed.

But we cannot impeach our Mayor. It is not in the rule book.

We MAY, however, recall our Mayor.

Read for yourself- some communities in this great country have begun proceedings with as few as five persons involved- with the majority of the action taken by the President of City Council.

Read on:

Kansas City, MO.- Residents Seek Recall of Mayor

Berkley, CA- Recall Mayor Tom Bates

New Underwood, SD- Recall Mayor Oliff

Spokane, WA- Mayor Recalled Over Sex-Scandal

Wildwood NJ- Mayor Recalled for abuse of power and misleading financial deals.

Does ANY of that sound familiar to any of you?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 1:02 PM
Keeping the dream alive!

This is good news for the taxpayers of Dauphin county. It's about time they unloaded this white elephant:

Developer would build on county golf course
Posted by ahayakaw February 13, 2008 00:01AM
CHRISTOPHER MILLETTE, The Patriot-News 2007

Midstate golfers might lose one of the region's best-rated public courses -- Dauphin Highlands.

A deal to sell the government-owned course is in the works, according to H. Michael Liptak, chairman of the Dauphin County General Authority, which built and operates the property.

Though no formal agreement has been reached, the authority has accepted a nonbinding letter of intent from a buyer, Liptak said. He would not identify the buyer or reveal the selling price.

Liptak is scheduled to appear before the Dauphin County commissioners at 10 a.m. Wednesday to discuss the potential sale.

If the deal goes through, the golf course would be converted to another use based on a sketch plan the buyer provided to the authority, Liptak said.

The property is zoned commercial, which allows a variety uses, including auto dealerships, hotels and stores, he said.

The authority bought the property and built the course in 1995 amid expectations it would make money for county taxpayers. That never happened.

Today, the authority owes more than $10 million on the property and has been drawing $250,000 to $500,000 a year from its budget to meet debt payments. The authority can't continue to subsidize the course at that rate, Liptak said.

The debt makes it impossible to market the property as a golf course, he said.

"You could buy two golf courses for what we could ask for ours," he said.

If the authority can't cover the debt payments, county taxpayers would have to step in and pick up the slack, and that concerns the county commissioners.

"I don't believe county taxpayer dollars should be going to support a golf course," Commissioner George Hartwick III said.

Commissioner Nick DiFrancesco echoed that sentiment.

"Should the ... authority not have the wherewithal to honor that loan, we're looking at the county taxpayers to pay that loan. That's something I'm not willing to accept," he said.

Dauphin Highlands is considered one of the best public courses in the region. Golflink.com's readers gave the 18-hole, par 72 course 4.5 out of five stars.

"It's one of my favorite places to play in the whole area," said Paul Cornell, the manager of Swatara Twp. "Golfers will miss the course. There not a doubt in my mind about that."

If the course closes, the impact on the golfing community will be huge, said Greg Ulp, president of the Harrisburg District Golf Association.

"You're looking at 35,000 rounds a year at Dauphin Highlands, and those golfers are going to have to go somewhere else," he said.

News of a possible sale didn't surprise Highlands golf pro Tim Black, who was aware of the course's debts. Still, he said, if it closes, "it will be a big blow to golf in Pennsylvania."

Highlands is the only course in central Pennsylvania with a four-star rating from Golf Digest magazine, he said.

It plays host to the Central Pennsylvania Better Ball Championship and the Central Pennsylvania Amateur Championship each year. It has also hosted the Pennsylvania Open Qualifier for the Pennsylvania Golf Association.

Pro golfer Jim Furyk has played the course and conducted clinics there, Black said.

Charley Hoffman, who won the PGA's Bob Hope Classic last year, holds the course record of 63, he said.

Interest in golf less intense than it once was, perhaps because people are less willing to take the time away from their families to play, Ulp said.

A lot of golf courses in the region, public and private country clubs, are struggling, he said.

Though the future of the course is uncertain, Hartwick said the county and Swatara Twp. would have a strong interest in how the site is redeveloped. He said he would press to include open space and recreational land in the developmen

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 12:37 AM

CAN SOMEONE GET AN UPDATED SHOT OF HBG FROM THIS ANGLE WITH THE H U TOWER NOW ALMOST DONE?

ALSO ANY NEWS ON THE ALOFT HOTEL?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 1:38 AM

Small Aloft Update

New Aloft Website - aloftHarrisburg opens June 2009!

www.aloftharrisburg.com
www.harrisburgaloft.com

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 4:00 AM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs921 View Post
CAN SOMEONE GET AN UPDATED SHOT OF HBG FROM THIS ANGLE WITH THE H U TOWER NOW ALMOST DONE?

ALSO ANY NEWS ON THE ALOFT HOTEL?

I think so, but not for the next several days. Or were you thinking of further in the future?

The only news I have on the Aloft is what I posted last week about there being a sign stating it was being financed by Graystone Bank. I remember earlier last year they were stating that the next step was the financing of the building so I guess that helps it move forward. They already have the developer lined up right?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 1:03 PM
Keeping the dream alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
They already have the developer lined up right?

Hersha Hospitality

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 2:15 PM
Keeping the dream alive!

Planned Front Street office building to get retro look
Posted by jluciew February 13, 2008 19:33PM

A 40,000-square-foot office building planned for the 3000 block of North Front Street will be something of a throwback.

Rather than a modern monolith with large windows tinted black, the three-story building will be of red brick and feature white-paned windows more in keeping with surrounding mansions, according to plans unveiled tonight.

"I think the architecture bespeaks what is around it," city planning director Dan Leppo said of the building planned for just north of the Dixon University Center.

However, it wasn't always this way. The first sketch concept for the building being developed by Tom Flynn and Tony Pascotti showed a cookie-cutter office common in any suburb.

"We had a frank discussion about that," Leppo said.

Since then, the project appears to be on the fast track. Leppo said the Harrisburg Planning Commission is expected to vote on land use plans for the building next month. The city zoning hearing board and City Council also must review and approve the project.

Surveyor Tim Wakefield, who presented the plans, said the developers are pursuing a single tenant for the structure but did not provide specifics on the company or how much the building will cost.

The site at 3003-3009 North Front Street was cleared late last fall when crews demolished a two-story house about a block north of where Mary K. Knackstedt wants to demolish the mansions she owns to clear the site for a $32 million condo complex.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 3:47 PM
Man on a mission

[QUOTE=crs921;3352832]CAN SOMEONE GET AN UPDATED SHOT OF HBG FROM THIS ANGLE WITH THE H U TOWER NOW ALMOST DONE?

QUOTE]

That will be a very hard shot to get without someone in the passenger seat. At least in my car. It requires you to be looking over your shoulder while traveling down the interstate. At least in my car as I have to take it from south bound lane cause the median is too high for me to see over. I have a small sports car.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 4:38 PM

I'm hearing that the new Federal Courthouse at 3rd & Walnut (which is were it really should stay) -- is going to be Harrisburg's tallest - mostly glass - and could really be the first modern looking building in the skyline's history.

GSA.gov - and type in Harrisburg in the search box, there is an email address you can write to and encourage a tall modern structure topping 300 feet.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 7:24 PM

Swatara surge
Township balances growth, improvements
By Eric Veronikis
2/15/2008

Real estate agents Paula Thompson, left, and Kathy Adamski review a site plan from the deck of a home in Hoffman Heights, Swatara Township. Thompson and Adamski, of the John Smith Real Estate Group, were hosting an open house in the Dauphin County development being built by Ephrata-based Landmark Homes. Photo/Amy Spangler
In the past 10 years, Swatara Township has experienced tremendous commercial and residential growth.

Development has helped keep taxes down in the township and has given Central Pennsylvania residents more places to live, work, shop and dine, officials said.

The township has managed to improve its roads at the same time. Developers have committed to pay for road improvements near project sites, said Richard Bazdar, township director of code enforcement.

The township authority, which owns the municipality's sewer lines and a portion of a multimunicipal sewage treatment plant, has not become strained by the onslaught of development, said Gerry Miller, business manager for the authority.

When developers build, they are responsible for installing sewage lines and connecting to the authority's sewage system, Miller said. And the authority's sewage-treatment plant is not close to capacity, he said. United Water handles the township's water operations, Miller said.

School districts sometimes struggle when new neighborhoods are developed. With new developments come more residents, and that can create a strain on districts as the number of students increase. The commercial developments in Swatara Township have helped to stop that from occurring in Central Dauphin School District, said John Scola, superintendent of the district.

The district is renovating its elementary schools in the township, and two middle schools were already being renovated, Scola said. The district would have been prepared for the residential growth, he said.

"When commercial grows, it's positive for the district," Scola said. "The rebirth of the (Harrisburg) Mall, TecPort and the new shopping center (High Pointe Commons) has been extremely helpful. The commercial growth has more than balanced the increase in student population."

Zoning ordinances require developers to incorporate a minimum amount of green space on commercial sites. And residential developers must include recreation space in residential developments, Bazdar said.

"The position the township has always taken is that we have subdivision and land-development ordinances to address development, and if a developer comes in and does everything within the applicable township and state regulations, they have the right to develop," Bazdar said.

Developers have taken full advantage of their right to develop in the township, which sits strategically between interstates 83 and 81 and routes 283 and 322.
http://www.centralpennbusiness.com/a....asp?aID=64776

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 7:25 PM

Western municipalities brace for development
By Jim T. Ryan
2/15/2008

Deerfield Estates is the largest residential development in Southampton Township, with 733 total housing units — 119 of which are under construction. Photo/Amy Spangler
For about a decade, development in Cumberland County tended to happen mainly between Camp Hill and Carlisle. As that area has become built up, businesses and residential developers looked beyond Carlisle for new opportunities. The result is a wave of development heading west across the county, more or less following the path of Interstate 81.

"You see it creeping westward," said Kirk Stoner, executive director of the county planning department.

The municipalities bordering I-81 are seeing the increases in residential and commercial development, he said. Those include communities from Carlisle westward, such as South Middleton, North Middleton and Southampton townships.

Overall, they're prepared for the influx, officials said.

"We sort of had a feeling that this was about to happen," said Tom Ginnick, a supervisor in Southampton Township.

The municipality adopted a zoning ordinance for the first time in 2004. That will help direct development to appropriate parts of the township, Ginnick said. However, even with a general layout of where development should go, changes are happening fast, he said.

"We're very similar to Perry County in that we don't have a traffic light," Ginnick said. "Pretty soon, we're going to have seven."

At least two major commercial developments are planned in Southampton Township, Ginnick said. ProLogis, the Denver, Colo.-based warehousing company, has approval to build a 1.4-million-square-foot warehouse on Route 174, off Exit 29 of I-81. Philadelphia-based BPG Properties Ltd. is planning four warehouses — each about 400,000 square feet — on Cramer Road, also near Exit 29.

Commercial properties are selling well, said Ron Sailhamer, president of Shippensburg-based Sailhamer Real Estate Inc. That's because the western municipalities are still close enough to I-81, the Pennsylvania Turnpike and railways to make the area attractive to logistics and warehousing companies. That contribution to the county can't be ignored, he said.

"We have to be very careful that we don't put the brakes on that industry because it's a significant part of our economy," said Eric Clancy, executive vice president of Delta Development Group Inc. "On the same token, those are not the jobs that will fuel the bioscience industry. There are very exciting things happening on both ends of the spectrum."

Delta Development Group is based in Hampden Township, Cumberland County.

Office and commercial developers are still building in the eastern communities, such as Silver Spring, Hampden, Upper Allen and Lower Allen townships, according to county statistics.

In 2006, developers built more than $125 million worth of new commercial space in the county. Nearly $57 million worth of improvements or expansions were made to existing commercial buildings.

The township has 2,459 lots for development in various stages of the approval process or under construction, Ginnick said. That includes at least five residential developments. The largest is Deerfield Estates, with 733 total housing units, of which 119 are under construction.

County statistics also illustrate the westward development, Stoner said. Total residential units built in Southampton Township increased nearly every year since 2000, according to the 2006 planning commission report.

In 2006, the township added 102 residential units, up 59 percent compared with six years earlier.

Southampton borders Shippensburg. "We've talked about this quite a few times," Ginnick said. "We haven't seen the slowdown that other places have in housing numbers."

North Middleton Township's residential construction per year was more pronounced. The number of units built increased every year. The total number of residences built in 2006 was 134. That's 415 percent more than in 2000. Only 26 units were built that year, according to the county. North Middleton borders Carlisle.

Other western municipalities have seen steady growth, too. Dickinson Township added an average of 44 new housing units per year from 2000-2006, according to the county. Upper Frankford Township added 19 new residences on average, and the number per year has steadily increased since 2001. West Pennsboro Township, which borders Carlisle's west end, added an average of 32 new units per year.

Development is not only creeping westward from the West Shore and Harrisburg. Officials are also seeing new residents come in from the south.

Sailhamer has sold many properties to people from the Baltimore and Washington, D.C., areas. They're looking to escape the cities, he said.

Municipalities in the western part of the county are starting to do more planning for the future, including upgrades to water and sewage systems, Sailhamer said.

Southampton Township's population increased by 18 percent from 2000-2006, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's estimates. The population of North Middleton Township increased by 6.3 percent. County population increased by only 5.8 percent for the same period.

"I'd like to see a really good medical-care facility," he said. "I think we're going to need it in the next three years with the way we're growing."

http://www.centralpennbusiness.com/a...D=64775&page=2

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 3:01 PM
Man on a mission

Finally took a detailed look at your latest posting I travel to work every day and get off I-81 at exit 29. I am pretty sure I know where they are going to put that warehouse. I hope that Cumberland County Makes upgrades to that intersection of I-81. Currently it doesn't have any sort of traffic control device at the entrance ramps. It will make the commute hell.

Does this area really need another warehouse? Soon they will have to build warehouse skyscrapers just to fit them all in. The interstate can't handle anymore traffic. I don't want to be a NIMBY but seriously warehouse construction needs to have a moritorium placed onto them until the infastructure is expanded to handle it. Its not like warehouses bring high paying jobs anyhow.

\rant

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 1:50 AM
Me?!?

COMPLETELY agree, Young Gun! You really can't grasp how bad the truck traffic is in HBG (especially on I-81) until you move. I am in a metro that is now, what, roughly 9 times the size or something like that? And yet I see way less trucks here than I did in HBG. Not good at all...

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 2:04 AM
Eurosceptic

this photo is disgusting... in fact, this photo is the epitome of the low-density mcmansion sprawl that has taken this country by storm in the past 15 years... i feel so helpless when i see this type of destructive quasi-growth continue unabated... and when i read quotes about how everyone is looking to "escape the cities"... and in 15 years they'll be looking to escape this subdivision for a new frontier deeper in the hinterlands

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 10:36 PM
Me?!?

/\
And the sad part is Harrisburg really doesn't have a city to escape...the 8 sq. miles (habitable land) is really not that hard to avoid, people LOL

South Central PA is in REALLY bad shape when it comes to sprawl. I have been coast to cost, and I have to tell you that it ranks up there with some of the worst in the country; it's a VERY destructive lot, that's for sure!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 3:22 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
COMPLETELY agree, Young Gun! You really can't grasp how bad the truck traffic is in HBG (especially on I-81) until you move. I am in a metro that is now, what, roughly 9 times the size or something like that? And yet I see way less trucks here than I did in HBG. Not good at all...
I was speaking to my gf (lives in the allentown region) this weekend about the trucks after we were driving in fairly heavy traffic that was mostly cars. the trucks cause so much congestion. Is there any plans to increase the train capabilities along the I-81 cooridor? I would welcome that to adding capacity to the interstate. More interstate capacity will just make more truck traffic. I would think that PennDot should have some say in the mater when new transportation hubs are built. We don't need another warehouse till we get other issues worked out.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 3:06 AM

Harrisburg Hotels Delayed - Coming in 2009

There are few signs of progress on the development of two hotels within a block of each other in downtown Harrisburg.
But the hotels will go up at the opposite ends of State Street. The timelines are just different, stakeholders said.

"I told both developers, ‘Don't be surprised if architects tell you it takes longer.' They (developers) were overly ambitious. It's a good thing. I could fill a book full of examples with that," said Harrisburg Mayor Stephen R. Reed.

The two developers are J. Alex Hartzler, president of Harrisburg-based WCI Partners and Jules Patt, president and chief executive officer of Hollidaysburg, Blair County-based Patt Organization.

Hartzler wanted to develop a boutique-style Skywood aloft hotel by the end of 2008. He planned to build it at the corner of North Second and State streets. He said it took longer than anticipated to gather designs for the 13-story hotel.

But other developments have surfaced since mid-2006, when Hartzler announced the 138-room hotel.

Hartzler is no longer the principal majority investor in the project. Harrisburg-based Hersha Hospitality Group took over that role last October. Hersha will also operate the hotel, Hartzler said. Hartzler is still an investor in the hotel, he said.

Hartzler said work will not be under way on the hotel until mid-2008. It will take about a year and a half to build, he said.

"It's taken a long time to get design approvals, and we felt it was important to have an experienced operator," Hartzler said of Hersha.

Handing the project to another developer has also shifted timeframes, said Mayur Patel, general counsel for Hersha.

After the company took over, it adapted the project into its own processes and timelines, he said.

Some progress has been made at the corner of North Second and State streets. Last summer, a building was demolished to clear a footprint for the boutique-style hotel, and the basement was packed with clean in-fill, Hartzler said.

Hersha, which operates 55 hotels across the U.S., and its partners will invest more than $20 million in the hotel, Patel said.

Patt did not return several phone calls. But Reed said the Patt Organization still intends to transform the 104-year-old Barto Building into a luxury hotel at the corner of North Third and State streets. Last year, Patt said he planned to invest $14 million in the project.

Reed said Patt was recently in his office, and the developer showed him a nearly completed design and floor plans for the hotel. Patt's project was held up by requests for construction proposals, Reed said. When a request for bids goes out within a compressed timeframe, the bids come back higher, he said.

Patt's hotel was slated to open by the end of 2008, too. Reed said both hotels will open in 2009.

"The Barto Building is a more complicated project because you have to gut it and then add some more floors on top," Reed said. "You have to review existing building conditions to see what needs replaced and what doesn't need replaced. You are literally going floor to floor."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations