Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 12:33 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Architecturally is this building significant? No
Is this building beautiful? Yes
Does it damage the skyline of Chicago? No
Does it enhance the skyline of Chicago? Yes
Does it enhance the street life from what used to be there (Sun-Times Building)? Yes

Last edited by THE BIG APPLE; May 13, 2018 at 11:58 AM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 11:45 PM

To be fair I've not seen this tower in person. But I still stand by my notion that the spire truly ruins the look. I will be in Chicago in the summer so am looking forward to seeing it with my own eyes. Maybe my opinion will change then, but I doubt I will ever be convinced that what was built was the best asthetically.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 12:33 AM

I agree with you on this one.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 2:06 PM
Khurram Parvaz

How can ANYONE hate this building. It is Trump's FIRST great building. It is Chicago's FIRST building over a thousand feet SINCE 1974 (35 year drought). It has improved the street life immensely from what USED to be there (Sun-Times Building). It's the tallest building completed in the US in the 2000's. Also the tallest building completed in ALL of North America since the Sears Tower. It has a unique footprint not available in NYC unless a lot of buildings are torn down. It's the tallest concrete building in the US. It complements the the surroundings and more importantly the Wrigley quite well. Also the tallest building to the ROOF built in Chicago since the Sears Tower. It's 96 floors when what used to be there was a mere 7 floors. The tower is not perfect but it's decent.

Last edited by THE BIG APPLE; May 25, 2019 at 8:31 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 2:40 PM

I actually really like the design of Trump Tower (New York). The outside that is. The interior though has to be, without doubt, the most hideous decoration ever inflicted on the eye.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 3:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
How can ANYONE hate this building. It is Trump's FIRST great building. It is Chicago's FIRST building over a thousand feet SINCE 1974 (35 year drought). It has improved the street life immensely from what USED to be there (Sun-Times Building). It's the tallest building completed in the US in the 2000's. Also the tallest building completed in ALL of North America since the Sears Tower. It has a unique footprint not available in NYC unless a lot of buildings are torn down. It's the tallest concrete building in the US. It complements the the surroundings and more importantly the Wrigley quite well. Also the tallest building to the ROOF built in Chicago since the Sears Tower. It's 96 floors when what used to be there was a mere 7 floors. So I hate people bitching and moaning for the sake of bitching and moaning. The tower is not perfect but it's damn good.
The Rugyong Hotel in North Korea is the tallest structure built in the history of that country. Does that make it a great building?

Aesthetics are completely removed from feats of engineering and height. I find this to be an attractive building (not on the same level as Sears or Hancock, but still attractive) but not because it is the tallest built in a while or a feat of engineering. This building has grown on me with time though.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 5:36 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Quote:
Architecturally is this building significant? No
Is this building beautiful? Yes
Does it damage the skyline of Chicago? No
Does it enhance the skyline of Chicago? Yes
Does it enhance the street life from what used to be there (Sun-Times Building)? F Yeah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
The Rugyong Hotel in North Korea is the tallest structure built in the history of that country. Does that make it a great building?

Aesthetics are completely removed from feats of engineering and height. I find this to be an attractive building (not on the same level as Sears or Hancock, but still attractive) but not because it is the tallest built in a while or a feat of engineering. This building has grown on me with time though.
Please READ my first post on the page.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 6:12 PM
BANNED

That's my point though, he was talking about the aesthetic of the building and your responded by talking about whether its better than what was there, its decent urban planning, and its engineering feats. None of that affects whether the building is aesthetically pleasing.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 7:02 PM
Khurram Parvaz

^ So do you think it's aesthetically pleasing?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 7:07 PM
BANNED

^^^ Somewhat. When it was first completed I wasn't at all impressed with it, but it's grown on me slowly since. There are certain times of day and certain angles from which it is absolutely stunning, but there are other weather conditions and times of day that make it look flat and boring. Also, I have major qualms with the crown of the building. It was never completed right. They never covered up the gap in the West exposure of the mechanical penthouse where the window crane comes out and the color of the spire bothers me. I would have been far more impressed if the spire was stainless steel (like the rest of the building) and they had installed doors on that gap.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 7:13 PM

As Ie thiype thiw post thre Trump Tqower is refwlecting light i n my eywes

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 8:45 PM

Quote:
There are certain times of day and certain angles from which it is absolutely stunning
Looking due North up Wabash.

Quote:
...but there are other weather conditions and times of day that make it look flat and boring.
Looking from ANYWHERE on the NW side of the city.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 8:58 PM

I don't love the Trump building, and I hate the man, but it has improved Chicago's skyline.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 9:04 PM

Quote:
That's my point though, he was talking about the aesthetic of the building and your responded by talking about whether its better than what was there, its decent urban planning, and its engineering feats. None of that affects whether the building is aesthetically pleasing.
Exactly. I have no opinion on whether what is there now is better in terms of urban planning than before. I'm not from Chicago, nor have I ever lived there, so cannot truly comment on that aspect. My point was entirely with regards to the aesthetics of the building. Like I said, personally I don't like it. But I respect that others will have different opinions than me. That's their prerogative. The world would be very boring if we all liked exactly the same thing.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 9:26 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
How can ANYONE hate this building. It is Trump's FIRST great building. It is Chicago's FIRST building over a thousand feet SINCE 1974 (35 year drought). It has improved the street life immensely from what USED to be there (Sun-Times Building). It's the tallest building completed in the US in the 2000's. Also the tallest building completed in ALL of North America since the Sears Tower. It has a unique footprint not available in NYC unless a lot of buildings are torn down. It's the tallest concrete building in the US. It complements the the surroundings and more importantly the Wrigley quite well. Also the tallest building to the ROOF built in Chicago since the Sears Tower. It's 96 floors when what used to be there was a mere 7 floors. So I hate people bitching and moaning for the sake of bitching and moaning. The tower is not perfect but it's damn good.
Tall tall tall tall tall tall.

Have you seen the massing?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
As Ie thiype thiw post thre Trump Tqower is refwlecting light i n my eywes
Ha!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 2:40 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
Tall tall tall tall tall tall.

Have you seen the massing?
This building looks FINE anywhere from the north--east--south. It looks OK from the west. Looking good 3/4 of the time is good enough for me.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 12:19 AM
dream fast

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
Looking due North up Wabash.

Looking from ANYWHERE on the NW side of the city.
If you're 15-20 stories up across the river, it's unbelievable how massive it is. You look out every window, and all you see is glass curtain wall. Yet go down Wabash aways and it's very tall and narrow. The scale is just monstrous, it's hard to believe this may have been taller.

But as is, Trump Tower fits the site well. And I think it's become very iconic and recognizable to visitors.

Here's the view from my kitchen looking toward Trump

View from across the river

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 1:56 AM

Excellent shots Hayward!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture