HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 6:59 PM
Plenary pleasures.

"Introduction of of brick at corner of N Ada Street and W Fulton Street, better matching neighborhood character..."

LMAOOOOO

That is seriously some major trolling on a part of the developers. But it's not remotely funny, because nobody wins.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 7:48 PM

Speaking of the design committee, I think it's dead at this point. They haven't had a meeting in months and are the only committee that hasn't posted their 2024 meeting schedule. New DPD Commissioner Boatright also wants to cut much of the red-tape in the department, which likely includes the design committee

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 8:05 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Speaking of the design committee, I think it's dead at this point. They haven't had a meeting in months and are the only committee that hasn't posted their 2024 meeting schedule. New DPD Commissioner Boatright also wants to cut much of the red-tape in the department, which likely includes the design committee
Hopefully not the case because that would be a mistake.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 8:37 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
I thought the Committee on Design poo-poo'd the original base and the "blank brick box" change was an passive aggressive F.U. by the developer.

"You want brick to match neighborhood character? Here you go. Enjoy."

Or perhaps the reduction in podium height meant they couldn't line the parking with active use anymore and still fit the same number cars?

[img]

This is infuriating actually. We could have had the quite solid version on the left. Instead we're ending up with the civic defilement on the right, and it's presented as a refinement of the left?! Really enraging.

No type of NIMBY behavior drives me as bonkers as the demands for 'aesthetically blending in with the neighborhood character'. Destructive aesthetically, creatively, artistically, design integrity, etc.

Also, wtf is this Fulton Market design body for if this is not only the result, but the evolution of a particular design through final?!

Ughhhhh

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 8:42 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
That is seriously some major trolling on a part of the developers. But it's not remotely funny, because nobody wins.

Doubtful. I think you're overthinking it. More likely just lack of giving a sh$t or knowing any better on the part of the developer.

The architects, on the other hand, likely and hopefully give a sh$t and know better.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 8:53 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Doubtful. I think you're overthinking it. More likely just lack of giving a sh$t or knowing any better on the part of the developer.

The architects, on the other hand, likely and hopefully give a sh$t and know better.
Well that's what I'm saying too, the developer doesn't give a shit, clearly.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2024, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It doesn't make sense to trench the Metra tracks with Hubbards Cave being a big underground obstacle in the way. They'd have to elevate, but this could create a lot of nice public space underneath like the upcoming Red Line viaduct in Edgewater.
Elevating or trenching the tracks is probably ideal in terms of the final result for the neighborhood, but there are challenges since the tracks have to get form below-grade at Union Station to elevated at Ogden somehow (while passing over the expressway and under existing bridges in between), and the trains can only handle so steep a slope.

Alternatively they could elevate some more of the streets crossing the railroad.

They already have viaducts over the rails at Desplaines and at Halsted. And if you look at historic aerials, there there used to be two additional bridges over the rails at Sangamon and Milwaukee; you can see them in the process of being removed in 1973 and 1983 respectively. So that can definitely be done, given it already was done in the past.

Last edited by streetline; Jan 13, 2024 at 10:36 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2024, 4:18 AM

What is it with these windows that open out these last 20 years or so? These buildings look like they need to get their dermatologists to prescribe industrial strength Clearasil.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
What is it with these windows that open out these last 20 years or so? These buildings look like they need to get their dermatologists to prescribe industrial strength Clearasil.
Windows that open out are a lot easier to keep from leaking than windows that open in. Screens are also an issue (if residents want them).

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet cm View Post
Windows that open out are a lot easier to keep from leaking than windows that open in. Screens are also an issue (if residents want them).
And it maximizes usable floorspace in terms of furniture placement, etc. No small consideration in glasswall condos/apts. that don't give many options...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 10:52 PM

I realized that most vacant lots in Fulton Market now have active proposals or plans in the works. Now that most of the easy to develop sites are taken, developers will have to start resorting to teardowns, which will have to be justified by taller and denser proposals. Even though there's a construction lull at the moment, Fulton Market is poised for rapid change

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
I realized that most vacant lots in Fulton Market now have active proposals or plans in the works. Now that most of the easy to develop sites are taken, developers will have to start resorting to teardowns, which will have to be justified by taller and denser proposals. Even though there's a construction lull at the moment, Fulton Market is poised for rapid change
Hopefully we won't see too many older character buildings bite the dust unless its for high-quality architecture. I think there are still some good sites south of Randolph that are ripe for proposals.

Another possible outcome is the city dropping the Kinzie PMD and opening all of those unremarkable single-story buildings and surface lots north of Lake and west of Ogden to redevelopment. And maybe, if momentum builds enough, I'll see the United Center lots developed before I die.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 9:57 PM

I am hopeful we can get one 1,000 footer in the area one day soon.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 12:15 AM

I’m in the fern hill old town public meeting. There seems to be strong nimby forces in here, so if possible, join in to get positive word out!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 12:17 AM

Why don’t NIBMYs just take their asses to Naperville already

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 12:31 AM

Design update

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 12:52 AM

Last edited by Jstange059; Jan 17, 2024 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Accidentally added one extra image

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 3:07 AM

^^The NIMBYS in this meeting are fucking morons!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 6:44 PM
Small but Mighty

Looks like Assemble Chicago is finally moving forward. Significant height cut and redesign. Looks like sh*t. Meeting today. 20 -- > 12 floors.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 7:03 PM

Agreed. I was OK with losing the communal steps overlooking the park. But the height chop and the facade cheapening is pretty disappointing. Still an improvement over the crappy garage that's there now.

Prior design, via Studio Gang:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations