HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 3:45 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet cm View Post
That layout was proposed but later discarded. In a rare win for the construction team, the north tower was shifted to center its core on the spire caisson ring.
Yeah I can see that in the image that Klippenstein posted from the Urbanize article link, where the north tower is clearly pushed further south to align with the exist core ring. Makes absolute sense to use something existing, and perhaps it helped make the project more financially feasible.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 4:06 PM

Urbanize reports permits issued https://chicago.urbanize.city/post/c...ke-shore-drive

but I think this is old news from 10/25/23

https://ipi.cityofchicago.org/Report...aZ3RpD7%2fw%3d

But seems like they have some new details on timeline

Quote:
Imminently, crews will begin below-grade work, including caissons, sheeting, and the cofferdam. Work below-grade is expected to begin in Q1 of 2024 and run through Q2 2025. Once underground work is done, crews will transition to vertical construction, including concrete pours, the building enclosure, and interiors. Above-grade work will start in Q1 2025 and continue through Q2 2027. Landscaping and the final completion of the tower is expected for Q3 2027. 
Quote:
With the overall project approved for 1,100 units, Related Midwest plans to build the 635 units in the northern tower, lease up the building, and then proceed with the construction of the remaining units planned for the southern tower. The second phase will be either condominiums or rentals based on market conditions at that time.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 6:31 AM

New rendering not sure if posted here -

"Heather Morrison, CEO of MAPS, one of the project’s consultant, said, “the north tower project reached a major milestone with the issuance of the caissons building permit. The transformative project will use the former Spire’s cofferdam, repurposing an 8-story underground space into a 3-story parking garage."
-Linkedin

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/heath...310486016-iIZK

I guess this means only the North Tower is going to start construction. Could we get another NEMA scenario?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 3:37 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
I guess this means only the North Tower is going to start construction. Could we get another NEMA scenario?
Yes, this has been the plan for a while now. One tower at a time. Luckily it is the taller tower and Dusable Park is required to open before the building is open. So even if we’re stuck with one building for a while, the opening of Dusable Park should be guaranteed.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 3:47 AM
Everywhere all at once

I think, for many, even the below-grade work will be momentous, considering it would involve the final demise of the giant overgrown pit that has sat in this spot for 15 years. No more reminders of the Chicago dare-not-speak-its-name, thank youuu

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
I think, for many, even the below-grade work will be momentous, considering it would involve the final demise of the giant overgrown pit that has sat in this spot for 15 years. No more reminders of the Chicago dare-not-speak-its-name, thank youuu
I think there will continue to be a sense of dread about this site until it goes vertical. Even then, it might not fade away until it tops out.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 4:32 PM

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 6:00 PM
1st Ward

Is there a reason the north tower is now the taller one? I sort of liked the idea of the south tower being taller, drawing the focus of the development closer to the river and more towards the center of gravity of the skyline. I assume its because they are reusing the huge foundations of the old Spire project? Cheaper to build out a foundation for a 765 ft tower vs and 850 ft tower.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 6:43 PM

I'm still (foolishly?) holding out hope the tides will shift and the southern tower will become a supertall

God, that terracotta would've been amazing at the gateway to our city. A rough comparison when shown like that ^^ but glad we're finally getting something going.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 7:05 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
I'm still (foolishly?) holding out hope the tides will shift and the southern tower will become a supertall

God, that terracotta would've been amazing at the gateway to our city. A rough comparison when shown like that ^^ but glad we're finally getting something going.

It's rumored that Parcel I with a similar location and start date got a height cut so I think the market is on a downturn.

Not sure if that rumor is true and obviously things can change over the next couple of years but make of that what you will.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2023, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
Yes, this has been the plan for a while now. One tower at a time.
When kolchak said "NEMA scenario", he probably meant only phase 1 getting built, rather than "one tower at a time". Not a problem for NEMA, which looks great without NEMA 2, but if only one tower is built at 400 N. LSD, it would look out of place without its sibling.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2023, 7:32 AM

Yesterday -

Old Posted Dec 18, 2023, 3:48 PM

^ so what's happening to the hole?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 8:58 PM
1st Ward

Will be reused as the foundation for the north tower

Old Posted Dec 24, 2023, 12:24 AM
Chicago

December 19, 2023

Old Posted Dec 24, 2023, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post

There was never going to be any terracotta on that façade. This is Related Midwest after all...they're far more famous for value engineering and cutting costs. It was just bait to get their designs past SOAR and Ald. Reilly.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2023, 11:17 PM
Chicago

December 28, 2023

A muster point is a single, pre-designated spot where all employees and visitors are instructed to congregate during an emergency.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2023, 9:23 PM

Bittersweet seeing Real activity on-site

Old Posted Jan 1, 2024, 4:14 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan81 View Post
Bittersweet seeing Real activity on-site
Agree. Sad we're not getting a 2,000 ft monster, but this is way better than the hole in the ground.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Jan 1, 2024, 4:53 AM

^If we knew we would eventually get a 1000 ft plus tower on site i would be fine letting be a hole in the ground till that occurred. I mean just the foundation work alone that is already done is meant for something signifanctly larger than whats proposed being built...You would think a developer would want take advantages of that along with the great location.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction