HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Ah ok. I assumed the commercial space was office. More hotel rooms are always a plus.
Plus the developer gets extra residential density when they build some commercial floor space. (In case you didn't know).

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 5:53 PM

Another pair on the edge of Kitchener's downtown area.

236 Victoria St N - 40 + 35 floors

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 6:00 PM

WRC seems to think it's unlikely to be built.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Kennedy Co-Ops in Scarborough, designed by Henriquez for CreateTO. Two of the towers are to be co-op rentals, and the other market-rate condos: https://urbantoronto.ca/news/2024/01...-station.55013

These have potential to look really nice. Much needed affordable housing as well.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2024, 2:01 PM
I am the law!

I'm not into big podiums. I guess it's above ground parking. The theme loses it's wowness copy and pasted on 3 or 4 towers. It's not a proposal. It's a vision rendered to sell to a development partner. That partner will make changes and height increases are common so even as a massing model this is doubtful.

The city isn't building market rate condos and the inclusion of market rate condos on public owned lands can only be to subsidized the costs of the non profit housing.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2024, 2:28 PM

There's a good piece on this proposal in today's e-Globe and Mail.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2024, 4:59 PM

69 Yonge | 89.45m | 21s | H&R REIT | PARTISANS l recommended for Approval

This (highly divisive) addition and conversion to residential of the 15 storey 1913 office building (formerly the Canadian Pacific Railway) is now recommended for approval.

AlbertC

UT

3750 Bathurst | ?m | 32s | Grmada Holdings Inc | WZMH l recommended for Approval

This one got a small 2 storey height increase and is now recommended for Approval.

UT

UT

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 7:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I've posted on here before about St. Bernard Square in Moncton.

This was first proposed about two years ago, but the initial proponent bowed out and sold the property to a new developer. This developer is now prepared with his iteration of the project. The architectural style is completely different from the first proposal.

The floor count has increased to 18 storeys from 12 storeys, and will contain 181 residential units in a 16 storey tower on top of a two storey podium. The podium will contain ground level commercial/retail units.

the building will be 210 ft tall. There will be 133 parking spaces located underground, and on the second level of the podium. The building will contain a resident spa, gym and pool on the third level.

Here is a rendering from the Botsford Street side with St. Bernard Church in the foreground.

Needless to say, this will be a significant addition to the downtown east end of Moncton.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 8:36 PM
I am the law!

What's the point of the penthouse"s drastic, abrupt design change? It looks bad and will only become worst with age. In any case, it does matter with the bunker failure for the base. The mid section could be decent with a minor change in the design to a constant number of floors.

I would call it just a skyline addition. It's a wash as an urban addition. I don't know what is currently on the site. I don't believe it matters a great deal. In my experience, it only becomes a big deal on these forums when the tower replacement sucks. A close second is more people living in the area.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 3:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I would agree with you that the podium is largely a fail. The saving grace is that there is commercial/retail component (especially along Victoria Street), but, the Botsford Street side is largely a blank brick wall. It could be better.

As for the tower, I find it acceptable, but not as nice as the previous proposal. The original St. Bernard Square was planned as a 12 storey building with some architectural integration with the adjacent church. There is no such architectural sensitivity with this proposal, but, the building is much taller at 18 storeys.

As for what is located here presently, it is only a vacant lot, so almost anything is better. Construction should start later this year. The 30 storey Infinity Building at Harper and Main should start this year too, and the Third Sister (15 storeys) will also be going up. Pretty impressive changes for Moncton.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 4:46 PM

Vaughan

255 Bass Pro Mills Drive | 131.9m | 39s | BentallGreenOak | Hariri Pontarini l pre-construction

Master-planned by HPA for the booming Vaughan suburb north of Toronto, this multi-phase project includes 10 buildings ranging from 39 storeys down to 2 storeys with a residential, office, retail and community space mix.

UT

UT

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 6:19 PM

[QUOTE=Maldive;10119917]69 Yonge | 89.45m | 21s | H&R REIT | PARTISANS l recommended for Approval

This (highly divisive) addition and conversion to residential of the 15 storey 1913 office building (formerly the Canadian Pacific Railway) is now recommended for approval.

This doesn't bother me too much as it will be almost impossible to see from anywhere nearby. From a distance it might appear as a different structure all together in the downtown cluster.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 11:33 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Thanks to madog222 for sharing this in the Vancouver forum.

Corner of Davie and Hornby in downtown Vancouver

-29 storeys
-179 strata units
-41,000 sqf of commercial
-12.9 FSR

https://www.shapeyourcity.ca/904-920-davie-st

Images from Neil M. Denari Architects / Bingham + Hill Architects [url]https://web.archive.org/web/20240118232221/https://rezoning.vancouver.ca/applications/904-920-davie-st/application-booklet.pdf

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 11:52 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Hmm... I feel like I shouldn't be into that white pointy thing but it works for some reason.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 12:08 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Boring street level frontage (also an odd choice to have the lobby fronting the width of Davie instead of putting CRUs there), but the materiality on the tower looks simple & handsome - can't tell if that's brick or tile.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Boring street level frontage (also an odd choice to have the lobby fronting the width of Davie instead of putting CRUs there), but the materiality on the tower looks simple & handsome - can't tell if that's brick or tile.
Boring street-level frontages in Vancity projects end up looking better than high-end Toronto projects for some reason. Maybe it's the landscaping or overall city vibes that make the difference

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 3:17 PM
I am the law!

Retro late modernist 1980s vibe. I like it. Some of the balconies muddle the design a bit.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 6:57 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Proposed suburban greenfield development in Oakville: https://urbantoronto.ca/news/2024/01...rmo-area.55083

The renderings as usual look...optimistic.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 1:41 PM
I am the law!

That's huge. Dubai huge.

It doesn't have to be walkable. It's needs to be a self contained walkable ecosystem as the firm transit options suck.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 2:30 PM
sick transit, gloria

Didn't Oakville already try this with the Uptown Core? As with many of these mega-plans the areas designated for high density mixed-use remain big box retail with a handful of condos for years. SFH/townhouse areas develop almost immediately. The area is slowwwwlllly filling in but has many years to go before approaching anything "urban".

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ehZvJKaPk8VKY2sKA
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ktxcSZr17LBikAGQA

The North of Dundas Lands are also standard suburbia (albeit on the nicer side as far as things go) despite all the fancy plans for a mixed-use community. As usual the planned "high street" areas rarely pan out as intended - though things can always change down the line: https://maps.app.goo.gl/UpbmxRF8Db19ZKvy8

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada