HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 7:14 PM

Here's overall causes of death which might have some relevance:

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/dail.../t001b-eng.htm

Note the increase in COVID deaths per my earlier post.

I would assumed that overdoses, and possible MAID, are in the last "other" number, which has gone up dramatically.

Notably suicides are trending down. Flu dropped temporarily as we were distancing and masking in 2021 as well.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 7:21 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

You have to look at age of death in addition to cause of death to figure out the impact on life expectancy. I wonder how coherent the idea of a cause of death even is for very old people. Eventually the real "cause" is senescence and a lot of what would otherwise be minor problems gradually overcome your limited immune system and ability to recover. In the end everybody will die and if people are doing well then it'll mostly be a part of advanced aging. This doesn't mean that old people don't matter but it means that preventing one of those final proximate causes will have a limited impact when it comes to improving living standards.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
You have to look at age of death in addition to cause of death to figure out the impact on life expectancy. I wonder how coherent the idea of a cause of death even is for very old people. Eventually the real "cause" is that you are very weak and a lot of what would otherwise be minor problems overcome your limited immune system and ability to recover.
Of course but we assume that accidents and drug overdoses are most likely correlated with young people.

As for determining the cause, this is done by medical professionals. It's the best data we have.

I really tire of the "well, sometimes experts are wrong" attitude. Anti-intellectualism is the problem, not some miracle route to the absolute truth.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
Is it just me or Saskatchewan's population is stagnating?
https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/...018005-eng.htm
Based on the Population Clock between Nov/22 and Nov/23 Sask went from 1,199,020 to 1,219,709 for an increases of 20,689.

But for some reason (in their infinite wisdom), they dropped Sask from 1,234,098 to 1,219,709 between Oct/23 and Nov/23. a drop of 14,389 in 1 MONTH!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLLB View Post
Based on the Population Clock between Nov/22 and Nov/23 Sask went from 1,199,020 to 1,219,709 for an increases of 20,689.

But for some reason (in their infinite wisdom), they dropped Sask from 1,234,098 to 1,219,709 between Oct/23 and Nov/23. a drop of 14,389 in 1 MONTH!
That’s around the time the population clock started using the 2021 census as their base.

Previously they were still using the 2016 census.

The population clock is based on the population estimates, which only started basing there numbers on the 2021 census starting in September 2023. When they switched, there were corrections made to each province.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerprovince View Post
That’s around the time the population clock started using the 2021 census as their base.

Previously they were still using the 2016 census.

The population clock is based on the population estimates, which only started basing there numbers on the 2021 census starting in September 2023. When they switched, there were corrections made to each province.
Thanks for the explanation.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 12:20 AM

Anybody know when Stats Canada may be coming out with updated population estimates for cities?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 1:11 AM

January - based on the fact that the July 1, 2022 estimate came out on January 11, 2023.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2023, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
January - based on the fact that the July 1, 2022 estimate came out on January 11, 2023.
Thanks

It will be interesting to see if Winnipeg is estimated over 900,000 based on the growth in MB.

July 1/23 numbers for MB were 1,449,617. Dec 1/23 were 1,470,790

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Anybody know when Stats Canada may be coming out with updated population estimates for cities?
The estimates usually come out in February.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Thanks

It will be interesting to see if Winnipeg is estimated over 900,000 based on the growth in MB.

July 1/23 numbers for MB were 1,449,617. Dec 1/23 were 1,470,790
Winnipeg should be just shy of 900,000 when the estimates come out. Maybe 897,000?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 4:40 PM

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 5:46 PM
The Vomit Bag.

crazy, unsustainable growth figures.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 5:53 PM

The population clock is also at 40.7M

Which is wild because it feels like just yesterday we were talking about getting to 40M. I fear the LPC and the PCs (Looking at the Ontario temp resident numbers) have lost all control on this.

If you want to create any sustainability in the numbers, where would you even begin? There’s so many pathways into the country now that really just a broad cap would be the only simple and quick solution.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 5:59 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I keep seeing debates or media comments about how immigration level X is okay or we need to build Y housing units. But then the actual numbers keep blowing past those old talking points again and again. This new rate is well over 1 million annualized.

A feature of Canadian politics was the people who were just pro-immigration and anti-anti-immigration without any sense of the numbers or constraints around housing and the economy. They believe immigration is positive and don't like the right wing nationalist or nativist sentiments. That is fine but you still need to have some sense of your country's capacity and due to existing development disparities any open border will generate flows exceeding that capacity, lowering the standard of living. At the far left there are some people saying we shouldn't have borders at all, and they don't seem to respond to actual world events like rents spiking in Canada or migration issues in Europe (it's all because capitalism I guess; so the plan is step (1) remove all borders, step (2) eliminate all capitalism, ... , step (7) profit).

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 6:04 PM
be nice to the crackheads

That's an absolutely crazy number.

How are we even going to come close to supplying enough housing for this in the coming decade? Nationally, we'll need 2.5x the amount of current housing starts to keep things from getting really bad - which is impossible in today's housing climate. We don't have the manpower to do it for one thing, and even worse, we don't have the developers willing or able to build it.

Yikes.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 6:05 PM

The Government (fed and Ontario PC) have lost the context and messaging battle on this. They’ll go somewhere later this week and announce 5000 new units over the next 7 years, with the backdrop of these population numbers.

I suspect this will be the biggest news story of the year and the I don’t think the conversations will be the usual Canadian polite kind. Once Canadians start linking housing+population growth in their minds broadly, this country will lose the generational consensus it had on immigration policy.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I keep seeing debates or media comments about how immigration level X is okay or we need to build Y housing units. But then the actual numbers keep blowing past those old talking points again and again. This new rate is well over 1 million annualized.

A feature of Canadian politics was the people who were just pro-immigration and anti-anti-immigration without any sense of the numbers or constraints around housing and the economy. They believe immigration is positive and don't like the right wing nationalist or nativist sentiments. That is fine but you still need to have some sense of your country's capacity and due to existing development disparities any open border will generate flows exceeding that capacity, lowering the standard of living. At the far left there are some people saying we shouldn't have borders at all, and they don't seem to respond to actual world events like rents spiking in Canada or migration issues in Europe (it's all because capitalism I guess; so the plan is step (1) remove all borders, step (2) eliminate all capitalism, ... , step (7) profit).
I suspect CBSA will be dealing with a huge PR battle regarding deportations next year too. Since the feds are not renewing work permits for students…

I really fear the turn immigration policy and consensus is going to take in 2024. It will be ugly and a new facet of Canadian politics we probably haven’t seen in decades

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 6:17 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
I suspect this will be the biggest news story of the year and the I don’t think the conversations will be the usual Canadian polite kind. Once Canadians start linking housing+population growth in their minds broadly, this country will lose the generational consensus it had on immigration policy.
Which sucks because Canada would benefit a lot by having a larger, younger population, but it was so poorly handled by municipal, provincial and federal governments that we have this mess.

Seeing Trudeau in Vancouver last week with with Mayor Sim and the BC housing minister was like "Why weren't you doing this in 2017?!" We knew years in advance that Canada was going to up its immigration targets.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 6:18 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
I suspect CBSA will be dealing with a huge PR battle regarding deportations next year too. Since the feds are not renewing work permits for students…

I really fear the turn immigration policy and consensus is going to take in 2024. It will be ugly and a new facet of Canadian politics we probably haven’t seen in decades
Deportations are extremely tough to manage politically. European governments with right wing populist pressure even have a huge amount of trouble deporting non-citizen criminals back to where they came from.

It sounds like an easy way to score political points but it's really tough to implement once you're actually sitting in the chair.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada