HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japmes View Post
I don't know if there's room but I'd love to see an out of the box cultural attraction on the Parkway, like a Simeone Museum. Something like that would really draw more people to the Parkway.
I think the Simeone musuem would work really well on N.American Street and most of the blocks there are already very industrial oriented. It would also add another draw for tourists to go up to NoLibs + East Kensington/Norris Sq.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpskibot View Post
I think the Simeone musuem would work really well on N.American Street and most of the blocks there are already very industrial oriented. It would also add another draw for tourists to go up to NoLibs + East Kensington/Norris Sq.
With Simeone you need somewhere to drive the cars. I'm not sure American Street has that anywhere.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
With Simeone you need somewhere to drive the cars. I'm not sure American Street has that anywhere.
Why wouldnt you just drive up and down American or convert one of those block sized lots into a mini Course? Look at the lot where Sor Ynez is. That could easily absorb a car museum and small track.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Why wouldnt you just drive up and down American or convert one of those block sized lots into a mini Course? Look at the lot where Sor Ynez is. That could easily absorb a car museum and small track.
I love this idea and think American Street would be a great spot for it. Wide road, dead 24/7. Where the museum is now off Essington Ave. is hell on earth.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Lots of buildings front American. Do you think those residents want to constantly hear the exhausts of cars like the General Lee?

Now, if they only ever drove that GT40, there would be no issue. I have always said that the three greatest sounds ever made by man are, in no particular order:
1) The exhaust of the 1966 Ford GT40
2) Any Reading six chime whistle
3) Rolls Royce Merlin engine

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Lots of buildings front American. Do you think those residents want to constantly hear the exhausts of cars like the General Lee?

Now, if they only ever drove that GT40, there would be no issue. I have always said that the three greatest sounds ever made by man are, in no particular order:
1) The exhaust of the 1966 Ford GT40
2) Any Reading six chime whistle
3) Rolls Royce Merlin engine
With the Amount of SRT's, Scatpacks, Mustangs and Jalopy Nissans/Hondas in this city I think a few muscle and exotic sport cars being used during the daytime and afternoon will be the least of the neighborhoods worries.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 12:07 AM

Quote:
With the Amount of SRT's, Scatpacks, Mustangs and Jalopy Nissans/Hondas in this city I think a few muscle and exotic sport cars being used during the daytime and afternoon will be the least of the neighborhoods worries.
There are enough cars in Philly, do we really need to artificially increase that total? Dedicating multiple lots to this sounds terrible.

It's a car museum. It's the one museum that should be in the suburbs.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
There are enough cars in Philly, do we really need to artificially increase that total? Dedicating multiple lots to this sounds terrible.

I just like the idea of looking at exotic cars in an architecturally stunning urban museum. I hadn't thought through the driving party.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 1:06 AM

Quote:

While I am generally against cars myself, the Peterson Museum in LA is a huge tourist destination and you would be shocked how much and how far people will go to showcase either their car or see others. I am all for bringing in more dollars to the city considering if this was moved to the burbs it would probably be more wasteful, have a larger carbon footprint. Lets be honest outside of Center City and its nearby surrounding neighborhoods (UCITY, QV, Fairmount, etc) most tourists have no reason to go to lower north Philadelphia, why not give them a reason?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japmes View Post
I just like the idea of looking at exotic cars in an architecturally stunning urban museum. I hadn't thought through the driving party.
Move it to the stadium parking lots, they are just parking lots. I don't expect any development at the stadium for years. Plus it keeps the cars out of the urban core and there is transit access.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 1:16 AM

Why do we get into these endless debates about hypothetical situations? It's one thing to argue about taxes, but the idea of this museum being relocated to the Parkway in a Frank Gehry build is a pipe dream -- why do we endlessly debate these hypotheticals?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 2:17 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
Why do we get into these endless debates about hypothetical situations? It's one thing to argue about taxes, but the idea of this museum being relocated to the Parkway in a Frank Gehry build is a pipe dream -- why do we endlessly debate these hypotheticals?
I mean.... This is a forum and everyone paid their wifi so we can debate on here about anything.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 12:54 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

SEPTA Forward: Bus Revolution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7CKeHxHm7c

Progress on Bus revolution from Septa.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 2:15 PM

Quote:

I get it but then again, do visitors to the Philadelphia Auto Show (@ the Convention Center) overwhelmingly drive in? Moreso than the Flower Show or any other major convention? Are we sure that just because the subject matter is cars that people will automatically drive and forgo transit? In the end, the location matters. Put a museum or attraction - anything really - adjacent to a major transit center with limited parking and people will probably utilize transit.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
SEPTA Forward: Bus Revolution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7CKeHxHm7c

Progress on Bus revolution from Septa.
This video is wrongly named. It is about the regional rail system, not the bus system.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 7:27 PM
Chris

A potential scary political future...

A founder of the progressive Reclaim Philadelphia is eyeing a City Council run against Mark Squilla

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/ph...-20220901.html

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
A potential scary political future...

A founder of the progressive Reclaim Philadelphia is eyeing a City Council run against Mark Squilla

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/ph...-20220901.html
Squilla is solid. He (hopefully) won't be going anywhere.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 8:13 PM

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 8:20 PM

Ahh the AEPi house at Penn. Partied in there a few times when I was in school. Not upset to see it go.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 8:22 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by frbrown View Post
This video is wrongly named. It is about the regional rail system, not the bus system.
It's about both, the bus revolution ties in with all the other transportation projects.

Did you watch the video?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development